Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

742 East Shore Dr  



James F. D. Lanier of Jefferson county, Indiana on 30 June 1837 was issued Certificate #7338 for the North west quarter of section fifteen and the East half of the South East Quarter of Section Seventeen in township thirty two containing 240 acres.

William Thompson was from Fayette county, Indiana and on 10 August 1837 he was issued Certificate #6822 for the East fractional part of Section Fifteen containing 344 96/100 acres. Which borders Lake Maxinkuckee. Note he also had 2 other land certificates for land in Section 10 for 240 acres and 160 acres


William Thompson By Daniel McDaniel in "An Early History of Lake Maxinkuckee" (1908):
    The Only one of the caravan who settled on the lake was Eleazer Thompson who built a log cabin a year or two later where the residence of Mrs. H. H. Culver is now located on the northeast shore. The old cabin still stands just north of the Culver residence, but has been remodeled, losing thereby some of its primitive beauty. Mr. Thompson was, therefore, the first white settler to take up permenant residence on the banks of the lake. He died a few years later, and the property has changed hands many times since then. The elder Adam Mow lived there in the early forties, rearing a large family of boys and girls who are well remembered by the surviviors of that early period in the history of the lake.


Section 15: 500.90A (North shore town and academy)
Section 15: Lot 1 - 41.75A
Section 15 Lot 2 - 32.25A
Section 15 Lot 3 - 57.88A.
Section 15 Lot 4 - 47.30A


1872 Plat Map
A. T. Benedict - 160A
J. Hissong - 91A
G. Peeples - 10 A
C. Filer - 40 A
T Houghton - 40A
W. Densmore - 80A
E. Parker 80A


1876 Plat Map
J. Wylie
G. Peeples - 37 a


1880 Plat Map
A. t. Bendedict 89A, 44,75A, 38.25A
J. Hissong 92.40A
G. Peeples/Peoples 16.90A
F Parker 80A
W. Dinsomre 80A
F. Overmyer 40A
T Houghton 40A


From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
    All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the Vandalia railway to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and pushed to completion.

    Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee), and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
    With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the present week...


1883 - Oct 6 - The.Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos Tribune

1896 Historical notations map


1898 Plat Map
Culver Military Academy 16.52A
H. H. Culver 76.46A
H. H. Culver 39.35A
H. H. Culver 35.27A, 57.66A
F. Overmyer 40A
Wn. Dinsmore 80A B. Mc Keen
H. H. Culver
C. Peoples
R O Venneouwt (Vonneut)
G. Peeples 11.90A


1900


1908 Plat Map
Culver Military Academy
H. H. Culver Est.
Ira Marriz 40A
Thos Houghton 40A
Mary J Hissong Est.
F. M. Parker 20A
D. W. Marks 20A
Jenny Marks 40A


1911, Jul 13 - George Peoples & Catherine Peoples & Clemens Vonnegut Jr. & Nannie S. Vonnegut Deed Bk. 76
    This seems to have also included 728 East Shore Dr. and also 694_e_shore.htm and yet another reference of a deed is given as: 1916, Augs. 30 George Peoples to George Vonnegut Deed Bk. 85


1922


1922-1927 - Geo. Vonnegut

1952-1958, Jun - George Phillips
    Nixon, Prominent Publisher, New Summer Resident

    Wabash Man Buys Phillips Home

    One of Indiana's best known and msot successful newspaper publisher, Joe H. Nixon of Wabsah, has purchased the Lake Maxinkuckee home at 742 East Shore Drive from Mr. and Mrs. George Phiilips

    S. J. Rossa of Culver was the realtor in the transaction - one of the most important in several months

    The entire Culver community extends a hearty welcome to the Nixons as permanent summer residents.

    Mr. Nixon is president of the Nixon chain of Hoosier neswpapers which include the Wabash Palin Dealer and Times-Star; The Peru Tribune and the Michigan City News Dispatch. His brother, John R. Nixon of Peru, is general manager of Nicon Newspapers Inc. and is also well known here.

    Mr. and Mrs Phillips are giving early occupancy to the Nixons and have not yet announced their future residence and business. Jun 18 1958


1958 Lake Directory - 742 Joe H. Nixon - Box 337, Wabash, lnd



1958-2005 - Joseph H. Nixon [Joseph Henry Nixon] and Marian (Hamp) Nixon/Trust
?- Sept 2005 - Mrs. Joe H. Nixon (Marian H.) Trustee
Sep 2005 - Jun 2007 - Nixon Cottage / Don M. Nixon
    Chief Cheer Leader of Nixon Newspapers. Creative Thinking, Incorporated -- Was created by Don M. Nixon II in 1972. He began newspaper career answering the telephone at the Peru Indiana Daily Tribune on winter Friday nights providing scores for basketball games. I graduated to newspaper carrier in Wabash delivering the Plain Dealer. When he got out of school and began working full time for Nixon Newspapers in Wabash. Moved to Indianapolis in 1964. Publisher of 'The Spectator'


Jun 2007 - 2019 - Lisa M. Ronback

There was extensive remodeling and adding onto the cottage the summer of 2007



Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons

    Dr. Lisa Ronback received her medical degree from The University of Toronto, Canada. She completed her residency in orthopaedic surgery at McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Dr. Ronback completed a fellowship in Upper Extremity Surgery at St. Michaelís Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

    She is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, and is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. Dr. Ronback has been with Rochester Orthopedics since 1996.

    On Staff At: Woodlawn Hospital, Rochester; Saint Joseph Medical Center - Plymouth Campus;


    N 100' S 115' LOT 4 W RD
    COM AT PT ON WEST LN OF NEW PUBLIC HWY RUNNING NLY THROUGH LOT 4 WHICH IS 15 NORTH OF S LN OF SD SEC; TH N 100 TH DUE WEST TO MEANDER LN LAKE TH SWLY ALG LAKE TO PT 15' N OF S LN LOT 4 TH EAST TO PO







Today is