Dale and Collette Long first visited Lake Maxinkuckee in 1940 with their infant daughter, Alana Joan. Her parents had
rented the Shea home in the Lane. That was the beginning of an interest which lead to many summers of renting until 1971 when
they purchased the House of a Thousand Candles, from Charles Evans Hughes.
"The House of a Thousand Candles" will never be again just that. In fact, the neighbors might be more inclined to say it seems like a house of a thousand people, as every summer during the month of July the family of Dale and Collette congregate at 762 East Shore Drive. That includes their 10 children and their spouses, plus 27 grandchildren.
Harold Dale Long was born on a farm near Ridgefarm, Illinois on April, 1911 just ten feet from the Indiana State line. Half of the 205 acres lay in Vermillion county and boasted a sheepskin land patent signed by President James Monroe in 1824. Dale was the second son of Blanch Bladwin Long and Winfield Hancock Long. He was graduated in 1932 from the School of Business Administration at the University of Illinois. He worked for the Department of Agriculture until 1939 when he moved his family to Chicago, Illinois where he was employed by a Tool manufacturing firm, Scully-Jones and Company. During World War II he was in charge of subcontracting. He became vice-president, and later President and Chairman of the Board, in 1957. He was active in Society of Manufacturing Engineers and traveled widely as the National president in 1960 and 1961. Living in LaGrange, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago, Dale served ten years a Secretary of the Board of Governors of Community Memorial Hospital during its building and development. He also served on the Board of Trustees of the Village of LaGrange for seven years, and was recording Secretary of the Board of the First Presbyterian Church.
Dale met Collette Adele Scully at the University of Illinois and they were subsequently married on October 8, 1938 at Ascension Catholic Church in Harvey, Illinois. Collette was born May 6, 1915, the third daughter of four girls to James Alphonsus Scully and Therse Quinlan Scully. She was graduated in 1936 with a B. S. and received a degree in Dietetics from Harper Hospital, Detroit, in 1937.
"Cheaper by the Dozen", was a popular biography of the day but this marriage resulted in only 11 healthy, normal children, therefore, not "cheaper". Alana Joan, October 20, 1939; James Baldwin, Nov 20, 1940-January 19, 1963; Barbara Susan (Kiep) November 14, 1941; Lorlei Constance Croft, February 14, 1943; Harold Dale Jr., August 31, 1944; Mary Angela (Austin) March 29, 1946; Laurence Wynfield, June 1, 1949; Joseph Paul, October 8, 1951; Maria Therese (Corcoran), December 19, 1953; John Michael, July 3, 1955; and Lisa Ann (Tetrault), March 10, 1958.
Dales father and Collette's father both came from families of 11 children; in each case six girls and five boys. Dale and Collette had six girls and five boys.
Interestingly, both maternal grandparents were families of five children; in each case three girls and two boys.
We are a very balanced family. - Colette Scully Long. --- History of Marshall County Indiana Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986 -, Taylor Publishing Co., 1986, Publication # 357 of 1422, Marshall County Historical Society pg. 268.