Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Norman Adams Perry  



Norman Adams Perry born 11 Apr 1890 Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana died Feb 1964 - Broward, Florida he was the son of Charles Coffin and Capitola (Adams) Perry who also had: James A. and Ruth.

    1964 - feb. 5 - Norman A. Perry dies At age 75
      Norman A. Perry, age 75. well-known resident of S94 East Snore Drive, Culver , formerly of Indianapolis and New Augusta, lnd. , died at 11 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 2, at the Lago Mar Hotel in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., where the Perrys. had gone Jan. 6 to spend the winter.

      Mr. Perry was a former president of the Indianapolis Powerand Light Company, owner of Victory Field, and former owner of the Indianapolis Indians baseball club.

      The son of the late Charles C. Perry, founder of the Indianapolis Light and Heat Company, predecessor of the present Indianapolis Power; & Light Company, Mr. Perry was educated at Culver Military Academy and Michigan Military Academy. Hebecame president of the utility in 1926, when he was 36 years old, and headed the firm until 1980.

      Mr. Perry had been a director of the Union Trust Company and the Indiana National Bank, president of the Illinois Realty Company, and vice-president of the Perr-Rich Corporation, a l l of Indianapolis.

      In 1927 he served the first of two consecutive terms as president of the Columbia Club in Indianapolis. He had been a member of the Indianapolis Athletic Club. Highland Golf and Country Club, Woodstock Club, and University Club.

      Mr. Perry was also a member of Indianapolis Mystic Tie Masonic Lodge No. 39S, and the York and Scottish Rite bodies. Murat Shrine, the American Legion, and the Elks Lodge. He served as a lieutenant in the United States Army Air Corps in World War I .

      Mr. Perry assumed ownership of the Indianapolis baseball club after his brother, James Perry, the previous owner, was killed in an airplane crash in 1929. He built Perry Stadium, now known as Victory Field, in Indianapolis, in 1931 as a memorial to his brother, He sold the Indians in 1941 but retained ownership of the ball park.

      Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Llewellyn H. Perry; a son, Norman Perry Jr., Tucson, Arizona stepson. James B. Millikan of Indianapolis: a sister, Mrs. William C. Griffith of Indianapolis and 1206 East Shore Drive. Culver ; four grandchildren; and a great grandchild.

      Services are being conducted at one o'clock this afternoon, Feb. 5. at Flanner & Buchanan Fall Creek Mortuary, Indianapolis, and burial will follow in the Indianapolis Crown Hill Cemetery - CUlver Citizen


married Mae / Mary F. [-?-] b. 1893 d. 1982 1917-1918 they resided at 2853 Talbott Ave, Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana. Their child was:
    Norman Adams Perry Jr. born 23 Apr 1915 Indianapolis, Marion Indiana and died Apr 1969 Tuscon, Pima, Arizona. He married m. 1941 Rosemary O'Neall born 21 Jul 1916 Crawfordville, Montgomery, Indiana died 30 Aug 1983 Fort Lauderdale, Broward, Flordia daughter of Walter Hugh and Dorothy A (Munford) O'Neall they divorced and Rosemary remarried 29 Jul 1950 Bernardsville, New Jersey widower Edwin John Beinecke, Jr. who had married Margaret Haggerty.


Norman married 2nd 3 Oct 1941 - Richmond Virginia Llewellyn Hereth Birth: 30 Jul 1902 - Indianapolis, Indiana Death: 4 Apr 1988 - Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana she married 1st married 1st Gaylord Millikan daughter of Edwin Grant Hereth & Lulona Elizabeth Wanner
    Virginia, Marriage Records, 1936-2014
    Name: Llewellyn Milikan[Llewellyn Hereth]
    Gender: Female
    Race: White
    Age: 39
    Birth Date: abt 1902
    Marriage Date: 3 Oct 1941
    Marriage Place: Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Registration Place: Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Father: Edward G Hereth
    Mother: Lulona Wanner
    Spouse: Norman A Perry
    Spouse Gender: Male
    Spouse Race: White
    Spouse Age: 52
    Spouse Father: Chas C Perry
    Spouse Mother: Capitola Adams

    Indiana, Death Certificates, 1899-2011
    Name: Llewellyn Hereth Perry[Llewellyn Hereth Hereth]
    Gender: Female
    Race: White
    Age: 85
    Birth Date: 30 Jul 1902
    Birth Place: Indianapolis, Indiana
    Death Date: 4 Apr 1988
    Death Place: Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana, USA
    Marital Status: Widowed
    Father: Edward G Hereth
    Mother: Lullona Wanner


By this there is a possiblity that he built the Owen J. Bush Stadium in Indianapolis:
    Indianapolis used to have a great treasure. There was an old-time ballpark, Owen J. Bush Stadium, and in the 1980s.

    In 1823, Fielding Geeter bought some land for growing corn for $309 from the federal government. The land has only changed four times. Geeter sold to Charles Rauh who sold to Norman A. Perry in 1931. Perry owned the American Association (Triple-A) Indianapolis Indians and he planned to build a ballpark here. The only things on this tract of land were an old house and a well. The house was torn down but the well became part of the baseball park.

    Built in 1931 by owner Norman Perry, it was based on Wrigley Field in Chicago down to the ivy on the red-brick walls, but without the upper deck.
    here.
    This task was accomplished so well that Bush Stadium was used in the filming of the move Eight Men Out, about the 1919 Black Sox scandal [Chicago White Sox scandal].

    This park was originally named Perry Stadium (1931 - 1942) after owner Norm Perry's brother James. It was renamed Victory Field (1942 - 1967) in honor of the United States World War II victory, and finally named Owen J. Bush stadium after a native son who achieved fame as a player for the Detroit Tigers who returned home to be president of the Indianapolis Indians.

    In 1967 the land was purchased by the City of Indianapolis, owner number four. When the city bought the stadium in 1967, it was named in honor of the Indians President and the former roommate of Ty Cobb. Before their string of championships in the 1980s, Bush Stadium hosted franchises for all three Triple AAA leagues: the defunct American Association, the International League, and, what were they thinking, the Pacific Coast League.

    This stadium was used by the following minor leagues. All times are the Indians unless noted.
    • American Association, 1931 - 1962
    • International League, 1963
    • Pacific Coast League, 1964 - 1968
    • American Association, 1969 - 1996
    Sluggers Roger Maris and Hank Aaron both played here, though Aaron played for the Negro League Indianapolis Clowns.

    Memorable Moments:
    • 1950 Negro American League East Division Pennant
    • 1943 Negro World Series, Game 5
    • 1987 Pan-American Games

    Since then, their cartoon Indian logo has been replaced by a politically correct Native American blanket, and a new $18 million-dollar ballpark, Victory Field, designed by HOK, the same people who designed Camden Yards and Jacobs Field, has replaced Bush Stadium. With their resume it must be a topnotch park.

    After the Indians moved out July 3, 1996 it was turned into the 16th Street Speedway which housed midget car races. It is now abandoned.

    [http:/members.fortunecity.com/bertman31/grave.htm; http:/projectballpark.org/history/nal/bush.htm]



Norman A. Perry also backed an southwest of Culver airport.

The Perry House occupies the property known as Peeples Point, which affords a sweeping view of the lake at one of the highest points of its shore. Perry was the son of Charles Coffin Perry, who, with Daniel Marmon, started the company which would eventually become Indianapolis Power and Light. Norman Perry became president of Indianapolis Power and Light in 1926. He was a director of several banks and other companies, and owner of the Indianapolis Indiana.
    ...1889...The year before, the Marmon-Perry Light Company had supplied the first Edison electric light service to the Park Theater. In 1890 Marmon-Perry opened a lighting and central steam heating plant in a barn at 121 Monument Circle, and the residence became the city's first to use only incandescent lights.

    In 1892 another round of mergers saw the consolidation of the Marmon-Perry Light Company and the Indianapolis Brush Electric Light & Power Company into the Indianapolis Light and Power Company. This firm took over the contract for street lights in West Indianapolis from Nordyke & Marmon, and the new utility erected an office building at 46-48 Monument Circle.

    Such corporate start-ups and consolidations continued to flourish in the first decade of the twentieth century. Utilities Power & Light Corporation, a holding company, formed Indianapolis Power & Light in 1926 to consolidate and run the properties of the Indianapolis Light and Heat Company and the Merchants Heat & Light Company, which included a radio station that was sold in 1939. Several other heating and lighting companies with similar names formed during this time, and after a complicated succession of mergers, the Indianapolis Power & Light Company emerged in October of 1926. Norman A. Perry took the helm of this new venture, which began operations in 1927.

    Indianapolis Power & Light completed an operating center at 1230 West Morris Street in 1928. Three years later the company reached a milestone with the construction of two generating units at the Harding Street station and a 132,000-volt loop around Indianapolis. In 1931 the company began providing Indianapolis residents and businesses with high-pressure steam through a contract with Eli Lilly & Company....

Although few survive today, landscape architect Jens Jensen designed numerous other private estates in Indiana including the estate of: Norman Perry {Culver }. Found on the Riverdale Project






Today is