Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Lee R. Finney  

LeRoy Finney 1867-1929; Culver Masonic Cemetery

Saturday, August 3, 1929 Rochester Sentinel

Lee R. FINNEY, aged 55, of Culver, died in the Woodlawn Hospital at 1 o'clock this morning from injuries which he received Wednesday afternoon in an automobile accident three miles south of this city on Federal Road 31 when a limousine driven by him and owned by Mrs. Elizabeth MARMON of Indianapolis crashed into the side of a loaded gravel truck driven by Harley NELLANS of this city. Death was due to a bursted liver doctors stated.

Coroner A. E. STINSON will conduct his inquest into the fatal accident as soon as Mrs. Elizabeth Marmon of Indianapolis, by whom Mr. Finney was employed as a chauffeur and who also was badly hurt in the accident is able to testify. Mr. Finney was injured when driving Mrs. Marmon back to her summer home at Culver after they had spent the day in Indianapolis where Mrs. Marmon had been called on a business mission.

Mr. Finney stated that when he approached the crossroads he blew the horn on the Marmon limousine as a warning but that Mr. Nellans failed to wait for the limousine which was being driven at a rate of speed estimated at 50 miles an hour. Nellans, in speaking of the accident, stated he thought he had plenty of time to clear the crossing over the paved federal highway before the limousine would reach it.

The limousine crashed into the side of the gravel truck with sufficient force as to push the loaded truck into a cornfield at the northeast intersection of the road. Mr. Finney received his injuries when his body struck the steering wheel after the collision. He was brought to the Woodlawn hospital here where doctors from the first despaired of saving his life.

Very little is known as to life of Mr. Finney. For many years he operated a boat line on Lake Maxinkuckee and 20 years ago accepted employment with Mrs. Marmon both as chauffeur and as caretaker of her summer home at Culver. He was a faithful and trusted servant who will be missed greatly by the Marmon family so stated Mrs. James FESSLER of Indianapolis, daughter of Mrs. Marmon, this morning.

Mr. Finney was a bachelor. His only known survivor is a brother who is in a private sanitarium in Indianapolis where he was being kept at the expense of his dead brother. Mr. Finney was a veteran of the Spanish-American war. He was a member of the Culver Masonic Lodge. The body was removed this morning to a Culver undertaking parlor. Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock Monday afternoon from the Marmon Cottage with burial in the Culver Masonic Cemetery.

Attaches at the Woodlawn Hospital this morning stated that Mrs. Marmon had spent a very restful night, in fact the best one since she had been confined in the hospital. Barring unforseen complications the aged widow should recover. No attempt has been made to make x-ray pictures of Mrs. Marmon's skull which is believed to have been fractured. Mrs. Marmon received cuts on the head in the accident which practically scalped her. Mrs. Marmon feels deeply the loss of her trusted employee Mr. Finney.

Marmon Index

Today is