Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

1322 East Shore Drive - - Yellow House  

Section 22 - ? acres
    Nesswagh-ee Reservation

Section 22
    Section 22 Lot 1 - 37.70A; 40
    Section: 22 Lot 2 - 45.45A
    Section 22 Lot 3 - 32.00A
    Section 22 Lot 4 - 35.70A

ACTROIS, JU-BE 10/26/1836 Full Section, Indian Allotement

The following were issued but cancelled:
    GRIFFIN, LYMAN 9/2/1839 Patent 10951 SE¼SE¼ 22 JULIAN, NATHAN 9/2/1839 Patent 10956 SW¼ 22 SIGERSON, JAMES 9/2/1839 Patent 10955 NW¼ 22 SIGERSON, JAMES 9/2/1839 Patent 10957 NE¼ 22

Henry J. Brown 1845 - Jul 1 - Patent 14572 SE¼ 2

John London 1845 - Jul 1 - Patent 14411 W½NE¼ & E½SW¼

1872 Plat Map Section 22
    Lot 1 - 37.32 - G. Peeples
    Lot 2 - 45.45A S & J. W Rector
      Lot Two (2) heretofore sold and conveyed by one Lewis Rector and wife, Sarah A., and James E. Thomas, to Milo Smith and which subsequently became the property of one W. E. Leonard at the water line on the East Shore of Lake Maxinkuckee, and running thence on the meander line of said Lake Maxinkuckee

    Lot 3 32A - S. Rector
    S & J W Rector - 40A A Smith - 80A 3.90A - A W B
    .97? - D J
    159A - J. C. Miles a part in Sec. 23-
    A Bartholomew 35.70A

1876 Plat Map Section 22
    J C Miles - 158A

1880 Plat Map Section 22
    Platted cottage lots
    G. Peeples 35.5A
    Rector & Thomas 85A & 32A
    Unlabeled Lake lot
    H. B. Scott 34.50A

1897 - august 6 for Sale:---A very desirable lot right at Maxenkuckee landing. First lot north of grocery store. In close proximity to beautiful cottages and grounds. One of the most attractive lots at the lake. For partic ulars, address D. C. P arker, Argos, Ind. - Culver Herald

1898 1898 - E. Pauleen [Parker] & Co. ?

1899 - apr 28 - Four carloads of lumber, one carload of brick, and a half carload of other material has been hauled by Wm Swigart for the Shirk residence on the east side - Culver Herald

1899 - May 12 - Mr Milton Shirk and Mr. Bonnell have divided their interests in the Peru club grounds. The old club house has been moved to the north end of the lot to make room for a new cottage which Mr. Bonnell will build in time for the coming Season... The finest cottage, more like a palace is now being built by Mr. Milton Shirk, on his extensive grounds, near the Maxenkuckee piers. This cottage will be new in every detail, having all the modern improvements. - Culver Herald
    1899 - Mar 24 - Milton Shirk will build a handsome cottage on his lot a Maxinkuckee this summer Logansport Pharos Tribune

    J. K. Mawhorter, Culver ’s famous tinner has taken the contract to put a complete troughing arouud the roof of the Peru House, and will also do tbe tin work on the Brownell cottage, Shirk cottage, and the Dr. Benepe cottage. 23 Jun 1899 - Culver Herald

    When finished, Milton Shirk of Peru, Ind., will have one of the handsomest and most modern cottages upon the east side of the lake. It will contaim 12 large airy rooms, exquisitely finished in hard wood. The fire place which is built with the very finest brick obtainable, is the best on the shores of the lake and was constructed bv D H. Smith & Co. 23 Jun 1899 - Culver Herald

    Friday evening a select number of the bon ton cottagers assembled at the Shirk cottage near the Maxinkuckee landing and enjoyed a dance Tbe grounds were beautifully decorated, which lent additional enchantment to the beautiful grounds and cottage - 4 AUg 1899 - Culver Herald


Built in or about 1900 by Milton Shirk One of the largest houses on the lake. it was designed in the Swiss Chalet style, a subtype of the popular Craftsman style of the early twentieth century. This is a two-and-a-half story, wood-frame house with a low-pitched gable roof. The original clapboards have been covered with vinyl siding, but distinctive scroll-sawn detailing remains exposed. Windows are grouped, double-hung wood, with m ulti-light upper sash. French doors open onto a wide porch which overlooks the lake.

1900 - Jul 27 - The sailboat, “White Lady,” owned by I . Shirk, and anchored near his cottage, was struck by the storm Tuesday and capsized - Culver Herald


1904 - Jul 14 - J. B. Goodall, of Peru, has just completed a concrete sea wall along Mrs. Shirk's entire grounds, which is suppose to stand the frost and protect the banks from the ice.

1920- Mar 3 - The Shirk cottage will be extensively improved by five bath rooms, a sun parlor etc.

1908 1908 - Milton Shirk

1908 - Milton Shirk
1922 - Subdivided and no lot Nos.

Dixie Crozier began acting as a personal maid to Mrs. Shirk in 1932. Mr. Shirk was seldom at the cottage being away on Safari bring home stffed heads and whole animals'; the hung on the stairway, over the fireplace and on the living room walls. The Shirks rarely etertained and seldom went to poarties. The house was full staffed with maid, cook, chauffer, head maid and houskeepr.

1952-1954 - J. H. Shirk [Joseph Henry Shirk]

1954-61 - Robert "Robby" D. Robertson
    1958 Lake Directory - Robert D. Robinson - 8205 Spring Mill Road, Indianapolis, Ind.

    Dixie Crozier remained with the cottage after it was sold to the Robertson and worked for them.

1973-1994 - John H. "Bud" and Agnes A. Bramfeld

1994-Feb. 1997 - Agnes A. Bramfeld/John H. Bramfeld Trust

Feb 1997 -2016 - Bramfeld Family Trust, John F. Bramfeld Trustee

    TR LOT 2 W RD
    INT S LN L2 W R/W LN HWY 117 N 19D 27

Today is