Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

114 N. Main Street  

1903 - Oct 13 - The Al Leek building near the Lohr restaurant will be moved on the Menser property between Howard and Davis Bakery and Easterday Funiture Store and will be used by Chas. Bowers for a barber shop

But by 1906 this building must of been demolished in someway as in 1906 it is an empty lot as evidenced below.



Vacant Lot - 1906, 1914, amd1924 by Sanborn maps

A photo / postcard take in the 1920's or early 1930's shows that there is an empty lot in between the Menser building and the Easterday Funeral home & Furniture building.

another better view

parital brick building to North is the Menser building (116 N. Main) and the partial building to the south is 110 N. Main the Easterday Funeral home and became the new K of P. lodge
1934 - Jan 3 - K. P. Building Corp. to Ben W. Oberlin, lot 29, Main St. Culver, $1

Ben Franklin 5 & 10 - Built 1933 by Ben Oberlin
    Culver Citizen - 6 Sep 1933 - Work has started on erecting a one-story building by Ben Oberlin, proprietor of Oberlin's Grocery and Market; the building cost is $5,000 and its measurements 20 by 99 feet. The K of P building will be used for one wall and a five inch side wall be built next to the Menser building.

    The storefront, manufactured by specialists in Niles, Mich., will be of green marble with large plate-glass windows and aluminum trim.

    Culver Citizen 15 Nov. 1933 - Culver 's newest business will open its doors Saturday when the Ben Franklin 5 cent and 10 cent store, with Ben Oberlin as its proprietor, opens its doors on Main Street across from the M. E. Church. Mr. Oberlin has recently completed the new building, which is 20 ft. wide and 100 ft. deep, with good lighting and ample window space to display merchandise.

'S' 1937 by the Sanborn Map and nore ethe street/postal address of 116 Main

1940 July 31 - 1944 Feb 16 - Ben Franklin 5 & 10 Frank D. Amond 1940 July 31 Ben Oberlin has sold the Ben franklin to F. D. Amond of Ambrose, N. J. and will give possession on Aug. 1

A view of the dime store during the 1940's time period.

1944, Feb 16 - 197_ - Taylor' Ben Franklin 5 & 10 - 1944-1970's Wilber "bob" s
    1944 - Feb 16 - A business transaction was completed last week whereby Wilber Taylor bought the Ben Franklin 5 and 10 cent store from Mr. and Mrs. Frank E. Amond.

    FEBRUARY 9, 1955 — Wilber Taylor's Culver Ben Franklin Store is being remodeled for self-service

? - 1973/4 /5 - Keim's Variety Store 5/10

Jan 3, 1974 Keim's Variety Store 5/10 Pre-Inventoru Sale - Storewide Close-outs
Shows the store front to J's & J'se 5 & 10 and the entrance to the upstairs of the K of P building to the masonic hall.
The sign going up or either coming down

1975-1980 - J's & J's 5 & 10 - Donna Johnson, Cindy Johnson

1985-1997, Sep - The Parlor "Zeke" Jerome J. & Elizabeth J. Zechiel
    Both Betty & Zeke were killed instantly in a car accident; December 18 1996– Friends said goodbye at funeral services for Jerome J. and Elizabeth J. Zechiel, who were killed in a two-vehicle accident north of Plymouth…

1997, Sep 1998, Jan - empty - Jeffery D. Zeichiel

1998,Jan-2018 - Robert A & Jennifer A Nowalk 1998,Jan-2013
    Bob Nowalk is fine arts instructor at Culver Educational Foundation and has his art studio in the back section of this building.

    Michelle's Headquarters - the front section of the building Michelle (Tusing) Allyn will be "Hanging up my Shears" ownership will pass to
      2015 - Angie Marcules - joined Michelle's Headquarters

      Angie Marcules on Jan 1, 2018, after 22 years (c. 1995) in the buisness.

    2018 - Jan. - Legacy Salon & Spa - Kim Heath, left, and Angie Maroules

    Culver native and CCHS graduate Kim Heath began sharing the space with Maroules on Tuesday, Jan. 2, offering color and cuts. Heath earned her license in 2008 from Knox Beauty College, where she hadmost recently been an instructor

    A nail technician is scheduled to join the team within the month, offering manicures and pedicures

    A new logo designed by graphic artist Shelly Schrimsher.

    2020 - Moved to 218 S. Main.

2020 - A Face lift.

2023 - The Unattend Curator