On the bluff on the east side of the lake, and south of the Nees-wau-gee
village, was an old Indian village or camping ground, and one of the most delightful of the numerous places of that kind
around that beautiful sheet of water.
Walking over the plowed ground near there a number of years ago, in a short time a dozen or more stone or flint arrow points, some of them very fine, were picked up by the writer. At another time he picked up a fish line sinker smoothly wrought out of stone, with a crease or groove around one end for fastening the sinker to the fish line. It was one of a kind described and illustrated in the Smithsonian collection at Washington, and, of course, is quite rare, as but few were made, and even of these, many were lost, and still fewer found.
It is somewhat remarkable that, not withstanding our advanced civilization, the modern fish sinker is patterned exactly after those stone sinkers of long ago.
Quash-qua was a brother of Nas-wau-kee, who also received a reservation in the October 26, 1832, treaty negotiations and was located at Lake Maxinkuckee beside Nas-wau-kee’s reservation.
This was south of the Maxinkuckee Landing Road to the south line of the farm belonging to Mr. Van Shoiack and to the east. A log cabin was built for him on the high ground southeast of Mr. Van Shoaick's residence and a little northeast of the residence of Stephen Edward's. This cabin was built by Moses H. Scott. and was erected 1828-32.