|Union Township, 1922|
|Town of Culver & West SHore to Long Point, East shore of Lake Maxinkuckee, Maxinkuckee Village, John H Murray's Subdivision, & South Shore Drive|
|The area of the infamous "across from the depot", "one block west of the depot"... and the business district of Lakeshore Dr. (originally Toner Ave) now it spans from State Street to the corner of State Rd. 10 and 17.|
|In 1889 packed his household effects in wagons, and drove overland to Culver,
Indiana, his journey consuming five weeks and four days. At this place he purchased a place
formerly owned by Celia Van Schoiack, and for two years conducted a hotel
opposite the location now occupied by his
son in the same line of business. He still owns a fine residence on Toner Avenue, east of
Vandalia Park, where he maintains a residence.
1 Oct 1903 is found in the Culver Citizen:
1908 Daniel A. Bradley homestead, after 1903
|The 1922 Plat map gives a clear detail of this area. On both the 1908 and 1922
it is is called the "Lake View Club Grounds" |
Besides the hotel and park areas there were 47 individual lots for cabins or camping tents.
|1922 - Jungle Hotel |
This sits behind the Lots 1-5 on the lake front - with "Street Closed"
running in between the properties
|The Ed Morris Lake Front |
F. Morris Cont'd Plat
F. Morris Plat
The Morris Lakefront
Mc Donald states: In 1850, Isaac N. Morris, father of Capt. Ed Morris, moved to the lake, locating on the north shore, on the farm now owned by A. N. Bogardus, His land ran down to the lake, taking in all the lake front from the Lake View Hotel grounds to and including the Palmer house.
Lot 2 building on back and dwelling front of lot
Lot 3 dwelling
Lot 39 Mrs. Lawrence Durburrow
Lake Access or street marked as Columbia In 1922
Lot 9 -
Lot 8 -
Lot 7 -
Lot 6 -
|1922 - The Morris Lake Front: Lot 5 - Palmer House|
Note that in 1922 the Palmer Hotel had an annex and the manager Johm P. walter had a house/cottage in what is or was dubbed "Faculty Row"
|In what is or was dubbed "Faculty Row" - some of the
homes on are Indiana Avenue which is now Academy Drive and sits in
front of the Eppley Auditorium has names attached to them some of
them are still in existence to the day.
John P. Walter
Adelaide F Peck
S. J. Fleet
F. L. Hunt
Ella F. Wilson
Bertha M. Griner
H G. Glasscock
Back (top to bottom)
Chas. C. Boblett
G. H. Crandall
Culv. Mil. Acad.
Eli V. Bollett
F. Morris Plat & F mrris Plat Con't 1-17 Lots - unlabled
John P Walter
18-35 Lots - unlabled
Palmer House Annex - J. P. Walter
|1922 - Culver Military Academy|
1898-1922 - Lot 1 - 32.80 = Main Campus - Culver Military Academy 76.46A, 32.85A, 100A 16.06A, 24.77A
|H. H. Culver Est. - Culver Place 16.06A, 24.77A|
|Sometime between the 1922 plat map on the far left the road in this area changed dramtically the map found proposing it is dated 6 Oct 1927 if it is read correcly in the lower right hand corner.|
|1922 - Laura M. Culver
(Mrs. Knight K. Culver)
1935 - Feb 27 - Maxinkuckee Inn Is Undergoing Changes
Plan Fifteen Rooms
The former K. K. Culver cottage is to be made into an inn this spring. It is located on the east side of Lake Maxinkuckee and as it will be neat the golf course it has already been named the Golf Club.
The home will be converted into a small inn with fifteen rooms, each with a private bath. There will be a large lounge equipped with furniture in the modernistic pattern...
|This area was dubbed as "Vonnegut Row" as one cansee for very good reason|
|1922 - Lot 1 - Mary B. Potts - Lake front & Non Lakefront
762 East Shore Drive House of A 1000 Candles Alfred Fremont Potts
|1922 - Lot 8 - Lot 8 - J. S. & Alma Kittle
[ John Sloane Kittle]
a part of 894 Esat Shore Dr.|
1922 - Lot 9 - Lilla E. Ketcham - Peru Club a part of 894 East Shore Dr.
1922 - Lot 10 - Lillie Deming - Peru Club - ? Mrs. Demas Deming? a part of 894 Esat Shore Dr.
|1908-1922 - E. B. Porters Subdivision - there are six lots - No Names
but was the location of the
Bay View Club |
1922 - Alley/Easement to lake
1922 [1000 E. Shore] G. E. Miller [George E/W / Curtis Miller]
1922 - M. M. Milligan [Millikan]
1922 - W/N. E. Wheeler - Shady Bluff
1922 - G. W. Blain [Gideon W. Blain & wife Florence]
1922 - Lot 1 - Annie Heller
1922 - James E. Heller est. - Highland House
Lot 2 Lot 2 - E. Marmon - Non Lakefront 12.27A|
1922 - Lot 3 & 4 - Elizabeth C. Marmon
1922 - Lot 5 - Chas. C. & C. A. Perry
1922 - John H Vajen [John Henry Vagen] - Non-lakefront 57.5A of Lot 2
1922 - Road|
1922 - Lot 6 Elizab. Crawford
1922 - M. F. Louden; W. Hunt; Sarah A Rector / Rector Hotel 22.10A; Dow Rector Lot 2 Non-lakefront
1922 - Lot 7 Lewis B. Martin est
1922 - Lot 8 - W. B. Steele [Worth B. Steele]
1922 - Julia T English non-lakefront
1922 --- Milton Shirk - 3 Lots
1922 [1346 E Shore] - Guy T Bigley/Store
|1922 - Sea Beach Place Subdivision (1898)|
|1922 - Maxinkuckee Golf Course -
9.07A - Non-lakefront |
1922 - Lot 3 - Chas. E. Coffin - nonlakefront
1922 - J. Schaaf [Joseph Charles Schaf]
[16640 E Sore] - Wm. W. Windslow [William Walker Winslow]
1922 - A. M. Glossbrenner [Alfred M.Glossbrenner]
H Harwood 1 [1660 E Shore "The Haws" ] !-- 1900 - F. M. Harwood
J & B. Bartlett ; Mitchell Burkett 12.51A - Non-lakefront Lot 4
R. A. Edwards & wife [Richard A. Edwards]
|Aub-bee-naub-bee Creek noew refered to as Curtiss Ditch|
|1922 - (1766 E. Shore
- W & K Sarber |
1922 - M. L. Helms
1922 - A. B. Edwards
1922 - Charlotte Bates - 5.55a Non-lakefront
| 1922 - Bates
1904 - May 19 - Hervey Bates and wife to ALbert P. Smith, trustee, tract in Union tp. $1; Albert P SMith, trustee to Charlotte C Bates $1>nr?>nr? 1929 - January 30 - The community lost one of the lovers of Lake Maxinkuckee when Hervey Bates, 97 died last week in Pasadena, Calif. Mr. Bates had been coming to the Lake every year for a long time and only sold his two cottages about a year ago. 1908 - no name
1922 Alley/easement to lake??
1922 - S. L. Purcell
1922 - Mary S Judah
1922 - H/M. Schroyer - Logansport
1922 - J. D. Ferguson - Logansport
1922 - Vaughan Logansport
1922 - 1922 - Henry W. Mordhurst
October 24, 1928 Henry W. Mordhurst, 78 years old, one the the pioneer cottage on Lake Maxinkuckee, and well known nationally as grand recorder of the general council Royal and Select Masons in the, United States, died -at his cottage here Oct. 19.
1922 H W. Mordhurst Lot 1 58A - Non-lakefront
|1922 - VanShoiack Subdivision 2nd Add.
Lot 2 - 2044 E. Shore
Lot 3 - 2044 E. Shore
Lot 4 - ? - May 1893 Lot #4 - John F. & Mary Wallick, sold for $2000.
Lot 6 - 2100 E. Shore Dr.
Lot 7 - 2100 E. Shore Dr.
Lot 8 - 2100 E. Shore Dr.
Lot 10 -
Lot 11 -
Lot 12 -
1922 - B McQ [McQuat]
1922 - Easement to Lake?
1922 - VanShoiack Sub [division 2nd Add.]
Lot 2 - 2044 E. Shore
Lot 3 - 2044 E. Shore
Lot 4 -
Lot 6 - 2100 E. Shore Dr.
Lot 7 - 2100 E. Shore Dr.
Lot 8 - 2100 E. Shore Dr.
|1922 - VanShoiack Subdivision No. 3 |
|1922 - Ed J. Craig |
1922 - Eva S. & G. M. Sherman [George Sherman] Hickory Crest
1922 - H H.& N. M. Shafer
1922 - C. Edward 12'
1922 - N J London [M T Loudon}- 12' 1922 - C Edwards
1922 - Cordelia Edwards 32.83A
1922 - Otis C. Hann - 2 Lots indicated by a Tie mark
1922 - M T Landon [M T Loudon}
1922 - Chester Edwards 2 lots indicated by a tie mark
1922 - Mary Taylor [Mary Lyon Taylor, Mrs Edward Taylor]
1922 - Lake easement
|1922 - Isabell Fulton 3 lots|
1922 - Hammewold H. Heywood
1922 - Wm. J. & Anna L Wood - Woodbank Cottage - demolished
1922 H. R. Norris - 38A Lot 4 - Maple Grove Norris Family
1922 - W. G. Norris; Emma Zechiel; 4 possible unlabeled lots
|No defintie locaton to date has been pinned down as the the location as yet. It has been assumed that the camping area was in the southwest corner or in the general area a large campground began just south of the Walker boathouse and ran along the south shore of the lake for quite a ways - in the area known as "Farrar's Wood's" "Dinner Point"|
|The first section of land was more than often refered to as
"Farrar's Wood's" & "Dinner Point" it contained 120 acres in all
1922 - Ada F. Daughtery & Wm. C. Farrar
At sometime after 1922 this property was divided up into lots, part of which are as follows:
|Farrar' Point or Dinner Point - range is todays cottages
of 290 - 343 South Shore Dr. An ad found on 21 May 1947 reads:
This cottage was directly in line with what is now S. Sycamore Rd. |
1922 - D. McDonald - Pottawattomie Wigwam [Daniel Mc Donald]
1919, Feb 19 - Sam Medbourn has bought of John. W. Cromley 400 feet of
lake frontage extending back 200 feet, at the south end of the lake
adjoining the property on which his summer cottage stands. This frontage
will be platted into lots|
Samuel E. Medbourn - In middle of is 2 small lots possibly #2, #6
Mary L Thayer
Schuyle C. Overmyer 118.79 Spanning in back of this lakefront plat
|1922 - John Kline 35.30A|
|1922 Chloe V. Livingston 86.64A |
|1922 John H. Murray's Murray Subdivision:|
1922 - Anna Bushart 26.08A
1922 - Wm. O'Keefe Addition 55.60A
1922 - Jas. Bardsley [James Beardsley]
1922 - Jas. L. Barnes [James L/I Barnes]
|the following post card was labeled "a peaceful pond near Lake Maxinkuckee"; which is a part of Hawk Lake, Lost Lake or Little Maxinkuckee as it is called by people. Some maps show it as an area on the south end of the litttle lake.|
|In 1903 Long Point in its entirety was offered for sale at $2,500 for development!
In the 23 July 1903 Culver Citizen was found this ad:
Long Point, the most beautiful and desireable for residences, hotel or educational institution on Maxinkuckee Lake is for sale at a bargin. Enquire of Daniel McDonald at his cottage south end of lake or to the owner.
1922 - Green's Long - These are recorded as: LOT ?? S LONG PT SUB:|
1922 - Camden Club - some time after 1922 it had been subdivided into 10 lots:
with only 2 of the six original lots not being subdivided.
Lot 13 North 1/2
Lot 14 South 1/2
Lot 14 North 1/2
Lot 15 South 1/2
Lot 15 North 1/2
Lot 17 South 1/2 [Henry James Mc Sheehey]
Lot Lot 17 North 1/2 Mc Sheehey [Henry James Mc Sheehey]
Lot - 18 G. W. Bussous
| Chadwick Hotel triangle - riangle shaped piece of ground that was
bounded by the Rochester Club and Chadwicks ? Am'd and the road to the west - The lot
or lots behind the point changed from plat map to plat map in size and shape. It is the
where the Chadwick
Shores Townhouses sits in today:
1922 - it was subdivided this way:
Hotel - .
Lot 21/or 22
|"Hotel" - Chadwick - hotel, 1004 Wwat Shore|
|Chadwicks Am'd Plat. Reading from South to around the Point and back West:|
1922 - East of the Railroad - Subdivided as follows:
Harriet Allen - Lot in back of Lots 1 & 2
1922 - Susan Postlewaite - Lot 3 - 36.46
1922 - Lester LaBounty
1922 - Mary Grubb
1922 - Sarah Clemmons
1922 - Wm. Osborn
1922 - Sarah McKee
1922 - Ben Easterday' Sub.
|Outlet to Lake Maxinkuckee - flows into Little lake and then on down through farm ground and drains into the Tippecanoe River in Fulton county|
| Main Street
Charles G A. & Augusta Gansch (cemetery property today)
Ira McLane & wife - former Greenhouse
Wm. R. York's Sub.
|David Burns also refered to this area as "Corn Cob Hill" the name deriving from the material used to fill in the marshy area - just how true the story is one only knows.|
|Ferrier's Addition Daviess - Wabash Street
Daviess Street |
E. Duddleson's Add to Culver City
Lot 21 -
520 Peru Court
| Daviess Street
Lot 9 & 10 Restaurant/Business 530 S. Main
401 Main St - Emmanuel Church
Country Road ( Mill Street)
Hawkins Add South Plymouth Street
Lot 7 - 401 S Plymouth St
June (Garn) Napier Sirus rememebers that it was one large room when the Arthurhultz's bought it, there was two pillars of possibly cement block or stone in front that were were square a portico [porch leading to the entrance of a building, or extended as a colonnade, with a roof structure over a walkway, supported by columns]; and there were only three steps from the ground into the building. It had a canopy and it had a hedge that ran all the way around the edge of the property line. It had large windows in the front and was a stucco (with black, grey and white speck in it) type finish on the outside. It sat empty for many years until in the late 1970's when Charlene Garn)& "Ray" Raymond Arthurhultz and her husband bought it and remolded it and made it into a home. The Arthurhultz's bought it off Charlie Weaver or the estate. Just when this depot is in operation is not known or if it had a name is unknown - but it sat empty in the 1960's and into the 1970's also as I remember.
Willow Point1922 - T.B. Hamilton
1922 - Willow Point/Cherry Villa Judge Maurice Winfield
Cromley's Add. to Culver City
South Plymouth Street1922 [S. Plymouth St.] Daniel Wolf (See Wolf Family)
1922 [S. Plymouth St.] - M. R. Cline [Milon Reno Cline] Oak Knoll
1922 - Jennie Nutt
1922[S. Plymouth St.] - M. R. Cline [Milon Reno Cline]
Sam'l Medbourn - (Medbourn & Son's Ices Houses - Ice Chanel from lake
|The curve would be the just in front of the Kruezberger Park starting just about Ferrier's lumber yard going into Washington Street and the viaduct; the 1880 plat map shows that W. J. Myers had 17.35 acres, reached to lake edge before the arrival of the railroad|
T. B. Harris AdditionJefferson St
1922 - Ferrier's T. B. Harris Addition - Divided as follows (Lots facing Jefferson St. reading from Lake to West:
Lot 12 - Ferrier Building Lumberyard
Lot 13 -
Lot 14 - Lumber Shed
Lot 15 -
Lot 16 -
1922 - O.L. 1 Sam'l Medbourn
Gargage In back is: