Proposed change to East Shore Drive - 1927
The road - as it was in the early plat maps top to botton 1876, 1880, 1898, 1908 and 1922:
Sometime between the 1922 plat map - the road in this following area - changed dramatically - the map
found proposing it is dated 6 Oct 1927 if it is read correcly in the lower right hand corner. The
blue is the original road and the red is the proposed change.
And here below on the enlarged map
you find listed the
cottage property owners at the time - mainly the Vonneguts, and also at the very bottom shows the Bay View Club
1927 - NOv 2 - Porperty Owners To Pave Part of East Side Road
Have Bought RIght of Way and Donated It to the County
Will Go From Artillery Barn to Hollyhock Corner; To Be Finished by Summer
Paving of the East Eide road is to vecome a reality!
For years the lack of good roads around thelake has been bemoaned by all those who travel them, ad for years
efforrs have been made to secure a hard surface road, but to no avail
But now the ball is finally rolling and a start will be made. While this strip will be but 1149 feet in length, it is
hoped that it will set a precedent that will result in the ultimate goal - a paved road around the lake.
The stretch that is to be paved first will start at the Artillery barn of the academy where the school's new road
will end, thence past K. K. Culver's property, where it begins an angle over to the Hollyhock or Vonnegut
This will be paved with an eighteen foot surface of probably Kyrock, with a forty foot right of way.
This land has all been donated by the property owners concerned and the cost og paving will also be paid for by
them. It will propbably be the first road in the county that cost the county nothing.
The road iwll eliminate the dangerous corner at the Kittle cottage as well as giving the cottagers along that stretch
adequate property at the rear of their cottages. Traveling along the road will also be much safer to say nothing of
the pleasure or riding on a hard surfaced road
The move must come befre the county commissioners in December for official sanction and the final signing to
It is planned to have the new road finished by the time the heavy summer traffice starts, and sooned if possible
The property owners who have aided in his solving the East Side Road problem include
Laura M. Culver,
Maud F. Wolfe,
Mrs. Bernard Vonnegut,
Mrs. Emma S Vonnegut,
L. V. Bergman,
John S. Kittle,
Mary H. Waterman,
SUsan E. Perkisn,
The transcaction has been handled by W. O. Osborn who has been at work on the proposition for over two
years, and who has spent much time in bringing about this community benefit.
1928 - May 23, - Actual work on re-routing the East Side Road has started and workmen are busy clearing away
brush and trees preparatory to grading the new roadway.