Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

618 Lake Shore Dr.  

. Section 16 - 500.90A 1835 Original Survey
Section 16 c. 1837 500.90A (North shore town and academy)

1872 - Section. 16
    Est. of I N Morris 105 A ( also 80 A)
    J. Duddleson - 30.60A & 10A
    T. Houghton 90A.
    J. HOughton Acreage not stated
    J ___ name illegible 4A
    G. A. Durr 10A
    Lot no name no acreage stated
    G. A. Durr 5A? - res (Lot 2 3A & 3A)
    Dr. Durr No amount Stated lots as if to be 2 large
    L D W [Lorenzo W. Wiseman]

1876 - J. Castleman - 190A

1876 Section 16
    1850-1876 I. N. Morris 175/185a   [Isaac N. Morris] - 185 A

1880 North Section 16 - 500.90 Acres Town
    I N Morris 185.34
    B. W. Watt 15.50A
    LakeView Club 15A
    J Duddleson 109.31A
    Tho. Houghton 90A.
    J. E. Houghton 19.60A
    E Parker 27 A

From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
    All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the Vandalia railway to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and pushed to completion.

    Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee), and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
    With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the present week...

1883 - Oct 6 - The.Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos Tribune

189_ - 189_ Nussbaum & Mayer
    From the April Town Board minutes - April 1896

    Be it also futher rememberd that on motion which was duly seconded and carried it was ordered to serve a notice on Nussbaum & Mayer for the construction of a side walk along the south end of the lot owned by the saind Nussbaum & Mayer in out lot No 5 Culver City, (formerly Marmont) Indiana

1898 - Section 16
    L. C. Dillion - 10A, 99.31A, 79.76, 75.60A
    T. Houghton 89A
    A. Roughton
    E. Duddle(son) 9.60A
    E. Morris 21.49A/Morris Lake Front Plat
    T. H. & L RRR Lake View Club 15 A.
    J. J. Bryant
    Incorporated Limits of Culver

1900 - Evermans' Biological Survey

1908 - Appears to be empty lot

1922 - Dry Goods

A view from left to right - theatre; last Hansen's ; Lakeview tavern; bowling alley; area of Coffee shop
1924 - The Sanborn Fire map shows the was possibly divided down into two store fors as it is labeled as 'S' & 'S' and with a dahed line drawn down the middle

1936 - Lakeview Tavern - Opened 1936 by Jack Taylor
    1936 - June 24 - Applies for License Jack Taylor has files an application for a beer license and plans to open a tavern in the Hayes building opposite the depot. He will continue to operate the public launch on the lake and his furniture repair business

    1936 - Jul 29 - New Tavern To open - Jack Taylor, proprietor of the Lakeview Tavern, announces the formal opening of the new business for Frdiay evening, Jul. 31.

    1938 - Aug. 3 - Taylor Tavern Closes - Jack Taylor has closed his tavern in the Hayes building opposite the dept. His state license had expired and Mr. Taylor decided the business did not justify a renewal. He will probably resume his furniture repair busniess

618 Lakeshore Dr. - Restaurant

In 1924 no street/postal numbers were assigned on the Sanborn Map but on the 1937 map the street/postal numbers appeared. Many still did not use the street/postal numbers in their advertising etc. untill the late 1950's they hung on to the reference in relation of location from the depot.

193_-1945 - Hawkins Tavern

1937 - Dec 1 - Mrs. Lottie Marshall takes over management of Hawkins Tavern

1938 - May 25 - Free beer delivery in case lots at 1:00 p.m. daily Hawkins Tavern, phone 259

1944 - Charlotte Hawkins Marshall Duddleson to Elza H. Hawkins 25 ft in width off east side OL 5 in Toners add to Culver
    Charles M. Kimmel gd. to Elza H. Hawkins, same. - 19 Aug 1944

1945 - Mar 28 - Delbert Jordan has purchased the Hawkins Tavern from Mrs. Lottie Duddleson.

1945, Mar-1954, Jan - Lakeview Tavern - "Deb" Jordon, prop.

1946 - Nov. 20 - Buys Lake View Tavern- Edward W. Harness completed the transaction Monday whereby he purchased the Lake View Tavern of Paul E. Topper, who is moving to Arizona. Mr. Harness, who is avar veteran and a member of the V.F.W. has lived here for several years. - Citizen

1946 - Walter F. and Louise C Ristow to Roy E and Georgia G. Hanson, west 30 feet of east 80 feet of outlot 5, Toner's addition, Culver.

1949 - Dec 21 - Lakeview Tavern - Mr. & Mrs. Frank. C Noonan - CItizen

1951 - Aug. 1 - Lake Shore Business Firm Remodels Establishment
    Extensive interior remodeling at the Lake View Taver has been recently completed by Mr. and Mrs. "Deb" Jordan who purchased the business from Frank Noonan some time ago.

    The kitchen quarters have been modernized and food is now prepared in a more concenient location with modernized equipment.

    Among other remodeling features is the installation of a more commodius refrigeration unit. The larfe refrigerator unit was aadded to effect better service. - Citizen

The photo of 1953 show the view of the Lake View Tavern

The Lakeview is the building with th 7up sign board.

1954 - Jan 13 - Legal Notice of Public hearing... 1 P.M. on the 10th day of February, 1954 at the council Chamber, City Hall in the ciyt of Plymouth...
    Donald J. and Ruth C. McCambridge, 31122 (transfer beer and wine retailers from Delbert and Jennie E. Jordon, 620 Lake Shore Drive, Culver, Indiana)... - CItizen

1954, Jan-1954, Dec - Lake View Tavern - Ruth and Don McCambridge
    Our Town Board Votes to Retain Bar on Hard Liquor by the Drink

    Monday night our Town Board - Donald B. Hand, Harvey E. Guynn, and Judd P. Stinchcomb - by a unanimous 3 to 0 vote denied the application of Ruth and Don McCambridge to sell had liquor (meaning whiskey and similar concoctions) by the drink in their Lakeview Tavern at 618 Lake Shore Drive.

    Mr. and Mrs McCambridge currently have a beer and wine license and have a fine reputation for the conduct of their establishment.

    The Culver Citizen has no quarrel whatsoever with the decision of our Town Boar. All things considered, it was probably a wise one.

    This newspaper now believes, in view of this decisio, that no person or persons have a ghost of a chance to obrain a so-calle three-way license within the corporation limits of CUlver until there is a change in the complextion of the Town Board. The terms of all three members run until Dec. 31, 1955... The Citizen does, however, seriously question the manner in which the hearing was held.

    After the Monday evening meeting someone remarked that the Town Board played to a "packed house". We checked on this accusation with some surprising results. The oppnents of the application, tipped off wiell in advance, were out in full force. They let go with their full ammunition - effectively and rarther concicinhly. The McCambridges did not learn that their application was to be considered until almost the time of the Town Board meeting. Due to this surprise maneuver not a single supporter was on hand to speak in their behalf.

    Frankly, we do not believe that the Town Board was influenxe in the slightest degree by all the oratory... We fell sure that they had all but cast their formal balots days before...

    The point we are trying to make is this: In view of all the rumors that have been in circulation for months and months regarding the future licensing policy of the Town Board we believe that both the prohibitionists and the linerals were entitled to ample advance notice of a session of the Town Board of such genuine importance. We further believe that the Citizen should have been permitted to have publishied a andvance news story of what was scheduled to happen on the night of May 3, 1954. - - May 5 1954

1954 - Dec 22 - Lakeview Tavern Bought by Bob and Katie May
    The Lakeview Restaurant-Tavern at 618 Lake Shore Drive, across from the City Park, will change ownership and management Thursday morning when Mr. and Mrs. Robert May take over both the business and the building from Don and Ruth McCambridge

    Bob and Katie May are popular natives of the community and will attract a wide patronage from their large circle of friends

    The McCambridges will leave for California immeditely for a two month's vacation. Mrs. McCambridge has not been in hood health

    Bob May has recently been employed at the Studebaker Corp. in South Bend.

1955 - Jan 12 - Legal Notice of Public hearing... 1 P.M. on the 26th day of January, 1956 at the council Chamber, City Hall in the ciyt of Plymouth...
    Robert E. and Kathryn I. Mary , 45454 (transfer beer and wine retailers from Donald J. and Ruth C. McCambridge, 620 Lake Shore Drive, Culver, Indiana)...

1954, Dec-1995    Lakeview Tavern - 'Bob' Robert E. & 'Katie' Kathyrn I (Triplet) May
    1963 - jan. 22- Three-Way Liquor permits Granred 2 Local restaurants
      The Marshall County Alcoholic Beverage Board granted three-way retailers permits last Thursday,Jan. 16, to two Culver restaurants, the E l Ray Restaurant and the Lake View Restaurant. Both establishments heretofore had only two-way permits. The Culver votes were 3-0. Ted Hayes representing the State announced the Board's decision at 10:30 a.m. after an hour and a half debate.

      Representing the El Ray Restaurant were Dick Kreighbaum and Bernard Scheetz and Kathryn and Robert May represented the Lake View Restaurant.

      A delegation of Culver citizens headed by Dr. Ronald C. Williams appeared as remonslrators against the three-way permits. Speakers for the remonstrance included: Mrs. Ruth MacQuillan, president of Union township Council of Churches; the Rev. Walter S. Chisholm on behalf of the Culver Ministerial Association: Sanford C. Snyder, an insurance agent; Mrs. Guy Davis, homemaker; and Theodore L. Ervin, president of the Culver Town Board.

      Mr. Hayes said in granting the permits " I feel that every effort will be made by these gentlemen to conduct their businesses in a lawf ul manner. As to the validity , we can only assume that it, is legal. A suit had been filed by Dr. Williams to test the validity of Culver town ordinance No. 177

    1964 - May 15 - The Lake View Tavern, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Robert May of 603 School Street, has a new store front. The front, which covers the full one story building, is of molded stone blocks, which have the appearance of Indiana Lime­stone blocks used in stone house veneer. Laid in attractive design, the front adds considerably to the appearance of the building

? - 1998 - Yesteryears Lakeview Tavern - 618 Lake SHore Dr.

? - 16 Dec. 1999 - Lakeview Tavern - Thomas Arnett Harry Huddle & Karen Hughes

16 Dec. 1999 - 18 Jun 2003 - Lakeview Lodge - 'Larry' Lorenzo & Joette Surris

    TONERS ADD W 30' E 80' OLOT 5
18 Jun 2003 - Lakeview Lodge -Ralph W. Braun
    They have remodeled the front to match the Edgwater and it seems that name 'Lakeview Lodge' does not appear on the building at all and longer; but if one looks into the window it is listed up on the west wall.

This is now has been absorbed in as a part of 620 Lake Shore Dr.