Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Bay View Place Hotel  

NOTE: clicking on photos may bring up a larger view.
Section 22 - ? acres
    Nesswagh-ee Reservation

Section 22
    Section 22 Lot 1 - 37.70A; 40
    Section: 22 Lot 2 - 45.45A
    Section 22 Lot 3 - 32.00A
    Section 22 Lot 4 - 35.70A

1872 Plat Map Section 22
    Lot 1 - 37.32 - G. Peeples
    Lot 2 - 45.45A S & J. W Rector
      Lot Two (2) heretofore sold and conveyed by one Lewis Rector and wife, Sarah A., and James E. Thomas, to Milo Smith and which subsequently became the property of one W. E. Leonard at the water line on the East Shore of Lake Maxinkuckee, and running thence on the meander line of said Lake Maxinkuckee

    Lot 3 32A - S. Rector
    S & J W Rector - 40A A Smith - 80A 3.90A - A W B
    .97? - D J
    159A - J. C. Miles a part in Sec. 23-
    A Bartholomew 35.70A

1876 Plat Map Section 22
    J C Miles - 158A

1880 Plat Map Section 22 Platted cottage lots
G. Peeples 35.5A Rector & Thomas 85A & 32A H. B. Scott 34.50A

Was formed as the Bayview Club house Association in 1885. Was formed by five families. Sold to Edward B. Porter

An early flyer states that Mrs. Harry Pfalzaraf, was the manager of the hotel


1894 - May 27 - Lake Maxinkuckee - I take pleasure in announcing to the public that I have leased the Bay View Hotel for this coming season. The house will be all ready by June 1. Address all comminications to Charles J. Kiefer, Bay View Hotel, Marmont, Ind.

In the 20 March 1896 Culver Herald is found:
    Keifer & Whitcomb, the wide-awake gentlemen that conducted the Bay View Hotel last season, has leased the Lakeview Hotel and will conduct the same this year.

1896, John L. Booth was manager. One account list that it had 44 rooms.
    David. Burns stated that the Bay View Hotel in Maxinkuckee had 100 guests and 44 rooms
1896 - May 27 - Bay View Hotel, Lake Maxinkuckee. Now open. Good fishing, boats, minnows and fishing tackle always on hand.—Jno. L. Booth, Manager - Logansport Pharos Tribune

1896 - Jun 12 - Geo. Whitcomb and Chas. Keifer, who conducted the Bay View hotel last season, are spending a few days at the lake. The boys have hosts upon hosts of friends here who are glad to see their smiling faces again

1896 - June 26 - The following are registered for the season at the Bay View: J. L. Greenlief and wife, and Ben Jones and John Shaw, of Indianaplis; C. Johnston Smith, a noted artist of New York City; Miss Mabel Evans, f Atlanta, Ga.; W. Baldwin and wife (theatrical people) of New York; Edwin P. Hahn and wife, of Louisville, Ky.; J. E. Compton and wife, of Evansville.

1896 - July 10 - HIGH-TONED HOP

    The Bon Tons were Present — A Glorious Time

    Last Saturday evening the first real society ball ol the season occurred at the popular resort hotel, the Bay View.

    Everv arrangement had been made by the genial proprietor, ’Colonel' John Booth, for the notable event, the hotel grounds being handsomely decorated with Chinese lanterns, national colors, interspersed by a beautiful display of fire works early in the evening.

    The spacious and elegant ball room was most artistically decorated, and when the ladies arrived and entered the same dressed in lovely white cos-tumes, the room presented a magnificent panorama of feminine beauty and artistic skill in the decorative art.

    Par excellent music was furnished bv the McMillen orchestra of Logansport.

    The guests present consisted of the bon ton society who occupy cottages and club houses on the east side, and the “ Brunnell” society of the north and west side of the lake.

    The gentlemen appeared in full dress and presented a very fascinating appearance.

    There were also several distinguished guests present from Logansport, Terre Haute, Plymouth, Indianapolis and Cincinnati.

1897 - Jun 11 - The Bay View hotel opened this week with Horace Hames {Haynes}, of Indianapolis. as manager

1897 - Jun 22 - The Vacation Problem
    Will preplex the mids of the peoplein cities for the balance of this month. Where to go is not the whole question; hotel rates will cut a figure with most people. Now probably the best placeto spend a few weeeks, or all the summer, is at theBay View Hotel, situated on beautiful Lake Maxinkuckee. THis well-known resort is under new management this year, and this summer promises to be the most successful in the history of the lake. Horace G. Haynes, the well-known restaurant man, has taken charge of the hotel, and patrons will be sure to receive excellent service. - Indianapolis Journal

1898 - It was a popular place during the 1880's and closed in 1898 suddenly the 9 Sep. 1898 issue of the Culver Herald proclaimed the sudden closing of the Bay View. It was converted into three separate cottages in 1898.

1898 - Sep - 9 - The Bav View Hotel was closed last week rather unexpected, in fact the gentleman in charge suddenly closed the house, packed his grip and departed for another climate leaving several creditors to mourn their loss. Mr. Porter of Indianapolis was here Monday and made arrangements to clean up the grounds, repair fences etc. He said that he contemplated fitting the house over into cottages and having them for rent, thereby doing way with the hotel altogether, as it was impossible to secure a manager who is thoroughly competent in every partic ular

1899 - May 12 - Mr. Edwin B. Parker has contracted with Mr. Albert Bogardus to tear down the old part of the Bay View House and to construct two modern cottages out of the new part of the building


1900 - April 20 - A former member of the Bay View Club speaks of the rise and fall of Maxinkuckee Lake, it is plain to see that he has lost his former interest in more ways than one, he should take a look at us now

1906 - Jun 7 - Mrs. Maude Eddy arrived at the lake Tuesday to take charge of the Bay View House.

1906 - Jun 14 - To Let Mrs. M. B. Eddy has Bay View Hotel at Lake Maxinkuckee, and is ready to receive guests or furnish first-class table board - Indianapolis News

1906 - Jun 28 - Mr. E. Smith proprietor of the Bay View, his son and C. L. Dwinnell of Indianapolis were guests at the Bay View Sunday

1907 - Mar 28 - Scott Foss is building a dining room and changing the Bay View cottages for a hotel. C. L. Dwinnell has leased the place for five years and will be ready for the lake trade at an early date.

1907 - May 16 - Contractor Foss has just completed a diniing room 20x30 for D. L. Dwinnell of Indianapolis at the Bay View

1908 1908 E. B. Porters/Parker Subdivision - there are six lots

1909 - Jun 3 - Geo. R. Bullard of Muncie is the new landlord at Bay View Place and is ready to cater to the wants of all who want a square meal or a shady retreat.

1910 - Aug 25 - The guests of Bay View Place tendered a surprise on Landlord Henry Ruth and his wife...

1911 - Apr 27 - Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ruth of Indianapolis are at the lake getting Bay View Place into shapr for the fine summer trade which they are sure to have. A new roof has been put on the house, the kitchen is being enlarged, and other improvemens looking to the comfort of the guests are being made. The Bay View Table last season won a great deal of praise for Mr. and Mrs. Ruth.

1912 - Jun 28 - Bay Viewn Place - Taje a rest at Lake Maxinkuckee at Bay View place. Excellent kitchen; dinning, boating, bathing, Henry Ruth, P roprietior - South Bend Tribune (Indiana)

1912 - Jul 12 - The Bay View Place hotel was raided on Saturday and bottled goods were found in the possiession of the proprietor Henry Ruth.
    1912 - Juk 25 - Bayview club gorunds, a resort on the east side of Lake Maxinkuckee, was raided Monday and intoxicants found andconfiscated. Henry Ruth the proproeter wss bound over for trial in the circuit court on two charges and put upa cash bond of $100 in each. Brnemen ENquire (Indiana)

1913 - May 1 - Bay View Place Open - The old and favorite East side resort, the Bay View Place, is open for the season with Harry Pfalzeeraf of Indianapolis as manager...

1917 - Masy 16 - B. H. Linus of Indianapolis hase leased the Bay View Hotel for the season and opens it this week.

1918 - May 22 - The Bay View will be opened next week by Kuhn & Kuhler of Indiainappolis

1919 - May 14 - ...Bay View hotels will open June 1... the latter under the management of Howard Hass of the Hotel Culver.

1920 - May 20 - Fire At Bay View Hotel Put out with Buckets
    The Bay View Hotel caught fire on the roof near the chimney Sunday morning and gave the fire truck and a lot of automobiles a chase of a couple of miles.

    Buckets in the hands of the hotel people and the neighbors put out the flames after a hole had been burned in the roof.

    Mr. and Mrs Haas are managing the hotel again this season and have put it into shape for the season's buisness. Some improvements have been made, notably the enlargement of the lobby by 300 square feet and connecting the loby with the dining room.

1921 apr 20 The owners of the Bay View property have been at the Lake overseeing some improvements of the building. It will be remembered that it was made into four apartments last fall. Thus four of the old-time hotels which were pop ular resorts in their day, have gone out of business: the Chadwick, the Arlington, the Norris House, and the Bay View

1922 E. B. Porters/Parker Subdivision > - there are six lots

1920 - Susan E. (Hatch) Perkins

1920 - Nov. 17 - The old Bay View Hotel on the East side is being moved and divided into sections which will, it is said be converted into cottages .
    It is said that the hotel sat on what today is the Perry property.

19_ - Samuel Elliot III (1846-1915) & Mary (Milford) Perkins<br>
1921 - Apr 20 - The owners of the Bay view property has been at the lake overseeing some improvements on the building. It will be remembered that it was made into four apartments last fall.

Samuel Perkins stated this about the property:
    The Perkins family of Indianapolis became summer residents on East Shore of lake in 1920 when Susan E. H. Perkins purchased Bayview Place.

This is a cropped section from the 1927 proposed change for State Road 117. It clearly shores all the Bay View Club Plat which was also E. B. Porter's Subdivision

1950 - 2 Aug - Cottage Being Erected Along East Shore Road
    A new cottage is being erected along the East Shore Road by Mrs. S. E. Perkins, well known summer resident, who formerly resided in Indianapolis.

    Located on the old Bayview Club property, which has been enjoyed by four genrations of the Perkins family, the new cottage is of Cape Cod design.

    Eventually it is planned to erect two modern homes on the side of the persent large summer cottage which has been used by the family since 1917.

    One of the new homes is to being planned for Mrs. Perkin's son, S. E. Perkins IV and the other for her daughter, Mrs. Frank M. Setzler. Both families now reside in Washington D.C.

The above photos shows Mrs Susan Perkin's new cottage in the upper right; to the left in the last photo one can see an opening in the trees, this was to the Perkins Apartments aka Bayview Hotel. Below are the view of the side yard with Malcom Raub sitting in the chair and the apartments;

1953-7 -- Perkins Apartment
Mary M. Perkins
Ann Raub Snyder (Mrs. Donald) stated that Susan Perkins offered to sell the property to her father Malcom Raub because she was sure that her son, Samuel, would not be interested the Perkins Apartment property and that it would be bull-dozed down.

1960 -- Perkins Property subdivided Jim Moss states that the Bay View property took in 920 - 950 - 964 East Shore Drive.