Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Lake Shore Dr. Main Street to State Street  



I have placed the early history of the area between Lakeview Street and Helen Street (Forest Place) which was known as "near the depot"; "one block west of the depot" and "opposite the depot" during the very early years of developement, Sanborn Fire maps, plat maps and interesting facts of lake Shore Dr. aka Toner Avenue onto a separate page.

This part of Lake Shore Dr. is mainly residential - I have listed all lots by current address and only detailed listed those parcels which were once businesses and hotels and are being used as businesses today for now; unless someone is trying to find out when their house was built or one I have found that would be classifed as as "Historical" built 75-100 years ago; I know there are several others and in time they will appear also as documentation comes forward - check out "When was you home built?".

The odd numbers occur on the South side of the street and the even numbers on the north side of the street the exception being the telephone building.

Lake Shore Dr. from Ohio St. to Main St



110 W. Lakeshore [GW GARNS ADD LOT 25] car Wash best remember for Hatten's Garage

313 N Main [OP LOT 15] Silhouette Beatuty Salon


Lake Shore Dr. Main Street to State Street



from Lake shore Main only extends 1 block north to dead-end

101 - E Lakeshore Dr. [OP LOT 16] Indiana Bell Telephone Company, Inc. d/b/a AT&T Indiana


104 E. Lakeshore - - Odom Funeral Home - Gregory W & Karen Odom



103 Lakeshore Dr. - [OP LOT 22 ]


114 Lakeshore [OP LOT 52] Bonine rental Apartments (3)

109 LAKESHORE DR [OP LOT 51]

Lake Shore Dr. & N Plymouth St.



Note: N. Plymouth street only extends 1 block north; it was legally vacated

204 LAKESHORE DR [OP LOT 57 ]

208 LAKESHORE DR [OP LOT 57] Charlotte E. Rakich

Lake Shore Dr. & Lake St.



203 Lakeshore Dr. - [OP LOT 58] - Troy C & Hollie Schultz


Lake Shore Dr. & Lake St.



304 Lakeshore Dr. - empty Lot

    1945, Thomas K Walker purchased Mel Keen's photo studio on Lake Shore Drive and Lake Street.


310 LAKESHORE DR VANDALIA ADD LOT 23

    1909 - Mar 25 - Keen Brothers have begun excavating for an eight-room house to be erected on the lot east Of their studio

    1910 - Keen Bros. have sold the property occcupied by Melvin Keen north of the Studio to Mrs. Mena Meyer of Plymout fro $900. Mrs. Meyer will return to Culver and will improve the property by introducing city water and building an addition and porch.

    In the 1970's it was pruchased by Robert "Bob" & Doris Breyfogle they in turn eventually purchased the empty lot west of them on the corner from JED AIR about 2003 it originally at that time belonged to Thomas Walker and his wife and his photograph studio as well as that of the Keen Bros. which had been demolished. Sometime after this the Breyfogles had an addition built onto the house Plans was for this to become a Bed & Breakfast home.


303 LAKESHORE DR [KNAPPS ADD LOT 1 W1/2 & KNAPPS ADD LOT 2 W1/2]

309 LAKESHORE DR [KNAPPS ADD LOT 1 E1/2 & KNAPPS ADD LOT 2 E1/2]

    1940 - 10 Apr. - Lena Medbourn announces the opening of a dress shop on April. 18

318 Lake Shore Dr. [VANDALIA ADD LOT 14]
    This was a duplex in the 1980's and before Art Fishburn resided on one side and had a welding shop/garage in the garage building on the back of the lot.
      From the column: "...It Must be The Lake water"
        ...Arthur fishburn, the blacksmith and Irons worker, was finally forces to evacuate the building on East Jefferson Street that has housed his operation since about 1918, because the roof was about to cave-in. Now he is settled in a shop where he can do anything with iron that needs to be done...

        He has't got around to erecting a sign yet but everyone misses him from his old ramshackle haunt and are hunting him up... - 23 Oct 1957 Culver Citizen


    Lake Shore & Lakeview St



    322 LAKESHORE DR [VANDALIA ADD LOT 13]

    311 LAKE SHORE DR [KNAPPS ADD LOT 14 W & KNAPPS ADD LOT 13 W ]

      1943 - Apr 7 - Buys Property - Harold Fitterling has purchased the Lake Shore Drive House and lots of Mrs. Bertha Haye and plans to move in about the 15th of this month. Mrs. Hayes has moved into her building oppoiste the depot.

      On the West side between Lake and Lakeview Streets Mike Fitterling first opened up his engine repair shop at his parents residence at 311 Lake Shore Dr. in the garage on the back of the property. Later he moved to 105 E. Washington St. where the Ideals Cleaners is and later on to 439 S. Main St. where he bought out Sam Wood's Machine Shop now belonging to Jack & Sandra (Fitterling) Keyser. Mike sold out to Snyder's Motors and went to work for them


    313 LAKESHORE DR [KNAPPS ADD LOT 14 EX W & KNAPPS ADD LOT 13 EX W]

    230 N LAKEVIEW ST [KNAPPS ADD LOT 16 W ]
    1937 - Telephone Exchange office (in the first house behind the parking lot of what Was City Tavern) ?-1937-1952/1956 - Telephone history


__ LAKESHORE DR [ KNAPP ADD LOT 15 W & KNAPP ADD LOT 16 N]


    1900-1914 - Parking Lot
      1924-37 - Filling Station - on corner of Lakeview and Toner [Lakeshore Dr.]

      1923 - oct. 3 - October 3 - C. D. Bogardus has sold his service station at the corner of Lake Shore Drive and Lake Street to the Standard Oil Co. Zeno Miller will operate the station. - [415 Lakeshore Dr.]

      ?? 1923 - Oct 23 Dan Burkett Standard Service station manager

      1933 - Standard Oil - April 1933 Burt Alumbaugh

      1933 - Standard Oil - April 1933 - Charles Berglund ??

      1933 - JUNE 21, 1933 - Lowell McKesson has taken over the managership of the Lake Shore Standard Oil Service Station

      ? - 18__ - Carlot for Cars. of the dealerships and a part of 415 Lakeshore dr.


404 E LAKESHORE DR [VANDALIA ADD LOT 12 & VANDALIA ADD W 25' LOT 11]

?- 1897, May 29 - Anton Mayer and Sophie Mayer; 1935 - from From One Township yesterdays - Corwin:
    In the year 1897, the first Catholic Church in the township was built in the village of Culver, The edifice stood on a lot at the northeast corner of Lakeview Street and Lake Shore Drive, where Carl Adams now lives.... The church was built on lot number 12 in the Vandalia Addition to the town of Uniontown. The property was conveyed, by warranty deed, by Anton Mayer and Sophie Mayer, his wife, of Vigo County, Indiana, to Right Reverend Joseph Rademacher, Bishop of the diocese of Fort Wayne, May 39, 1897.


1897, May 29 - Right Reverend Joseph Rademacher, Bishop of the diocese of Fort Wayne
St Marys Cathloic Church
    The Bishop willed all his property to Right Reverend Henry Joseph Richter, Bishop of Grand Rapids, Mich., to the Rt. Rev. Ignatius Frederick Horstmann, Bishop of Cleveland, Ohio, and the Very Rev. Joseph H. Brammer, Fort Wayne, Ind., "to have and to hold in trust for the benefit of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort Wayne."

    Of these three trustees, Father Brammer later died. The Right Rev. Herman J. Alerding succeeded Father Rademacher as Bishop (Fort Wayne), who transferred the lot to Edward J. Bergman, of Marshall County, on January 23, 1912

    January 23, 1912 - Edward J. Bergman in August, 1912, erected a dwelling house thereon


412 LAKESHORE DR [VANDALIA ADD E 38' LOT 11]

416 E LAKESHORE DR [VANDALIA ADD LOT 2]

415 Lake Shore Dr. [KNAPP ADD LOT 15 EX W & KNAPP ADD LOT 16 EX W] Vacant - multi buisness use

Lakeshore and Harding Court



Note This is a 'T' street to the north

422 Lakeshore Dr. (North side) [VANDALIA ADD LOT 1] Lakeside Hotel

In 1894 Somewhere in this vicinty stood an old photographers gallery it was purchased and moved to the location now known as 115 S. Main Street - accounts have been found as such:
    The community's first newspaper was begun, in a small restricted space, in a small one-story frame building located on the west side of main street between Jefferson and Madison streets. It was bout where Oberlin's store is today. The building used by Nearpass was an old photograph gallery, which at one time stood somewhere nearly west of the present site of Van Meter's building on Lake Shore Drove, then known as Toner Ave
      In a small, one-story frame building located on the west side of Main Street between Jefferson and Madison Streets; property said once later owned by Harvey Warner, who had another building on the site. This building was an old photograph gallery which had stood on Lake Shore dr some where near where the '66' gas station stood in about 1939.

      John Osborn who had financed Nearpass had the building moved to South Main Street just south of the store owned by Mitchell & Stabenow. It stood broadside of the street, as it was built accordingly to accommodate the photograph gallery.


506 LAKE SHORE DR [TONER ADD W 46.5' OLOT 4]

    Empty Lot


    1914 - the house was built some time between 1906 and 1914 as it appears on the Sanborn Map.

    1910 Mar 24 - Ed Bradley has begun work on a one-story house, 33X46, west of the bowling alley. It will contain six rooms, including a bath room and it will have a high attic. Ed and his family will occupy the house.


    1924 and 1927 Sanborn maps - the dewelling was also listed on those maps


___Lake Shore Dr.
Empty Lot


1914 - a store building was built some time between 1906 and 1914 as it appears on the Sanborn Map and it is labeled as being a 'bowling alley not used' it is said the A Bradley built it


1924 - listed as'S' meaning a store building

1934 - Sep 26 - Homer Kemple bought the front half of the Henry Listenberger Blue Front dance hall and plans to wreck the building and use the space for a driveway to his service station.

1937- The Sanborn map shows that the building labeled as 'bowling alley not used' in 1914 and 'S' in 1924 is no longer there.

Sometime after 1937 the larger front portion became apart of the 508 LAKESHORE DR lot and then was subdivied off when sold probably the International Haverster Dearlership and became a sub-lot of 412 State St. owned by Homer & Essa Kempl


___Lakeshore Dr. [TONER ADD W43' E85 1/2'E X36' OLOT 4 & TONER ADD E 42 1/2' EX S ETC O LOT 4]
    Note that today there is just as small strip of land on the west property line till it gets back to where the residence of Homer & Essa Kemple once stood at 412 State St. and is now the new addition to the fired station, as showen in the image to the left.



508 LAKESHORE DR (aka 504) [TONER ADD OLOT4 69.5' N&S X 78.5' E& W] - culver Fire Dept.

Lake Shore Dr. & & Cooldige Court



Note this is a 'T' street to the south

The following were a part of Kreuzberger Park
    501 LAKESHORE DR [KREUZBERGER ADD LOT 6]

    505 LAKESHORE DR [KREUZBERGER ADD LOT 5]

      1910 July 14 - M. R. Cline has started working on a cement block house for Sam Medbourn on s Scott street opposite the Lakeside - Note: this will be the Tabor residence.
    511 LAKESHORE DR [KREUZBERGER ADD LOT 4]

    517 E LAKESHORE DR [KREUZBERGER ADD LOT 3]

    521 E LAKESHORE DR [KREUZBERGER ADD LOT 2 ]

    525 E LAKESHORE DR [KREUZBERGER ADD LOT 1]

Lake Shore Dr. & State Street



Main to State    - -    State to Curve    - -    Curve to North    - -    lakeshore Dr. Index







Today is