Lyman M. Brackett
The possibilities of the success of business enterprise has no stronger exemplification in the county than in the career of Lyman
Born on a farm north of Rochester, in 1854, he took advantage of the meager facilities afforded by the public schools
of the town and then took a course at Earlham College, finishing his education by graduation from Bryant & Stratton's Commercial
College, of Chicago.
In 1875 he was given the position of lumber yard bookkeeper by his step-father, E. E. COWGILL, deceased, and
was admitted to partnership in the business two years later. After the death of Mr. Cowgill in '82, Mr. Brackett and A. J. BARRETT
purchased the lumber business. They were successful to an eminent degree and the firm is today the strongest, financially, in the
His success in business readily brought Mr. Brackett into public favor and he has been treasurer of the city school board
for six years, trustee of the Baptist church for ten years, treasurer of the Indiana Farmer's B. & L. Association, and President of
the Citizen's State Bank for two years. He was also honored with the nomination for Presidential elector on the Harrison ticket
in '92 and has succeeded well in all of his positions of trust.
He, with Mr. Barrett, owns the Arlington Hotel block and a half
dozen other business properties in the city, also real estate in several counties of the state. He owns one of the finest
residences in the city, a beautiful summer home at Lake Maxinkuckee and wisely spares no pains nor money in securing as much
comfort and pleasure as possible for his w ife, his children and his friends. He married Miss Sarah MERRIAM, of Brandon, Vermont,
in 1877 and they have a family of one daughter and two sons, viz: Zoa, Charles and Lyman [BRACKETT]. - -
Rochester Sentinel, Friday, September 20, 1895
Lyman M. Brackett, president of the Citizens' State bank of Rochester, is one of the ablest and most sagacious business men of Fulton
county. Mr. Brackett was born in this county Sept. 9, 1854.
After obtaining a liberal education in the Rochester schools and Earlham
college, he completed a commercial course in the Bryant & Stratton business college at Chicago, graduating therefrom in 1874. He then
became book-keeper for his step-father, Mr. E. E. Cowgill, then a lumber dealer, of Rochester. Three years later he became Mr.
Cowgill's partner in the business, the firm thus formed becoming E. E. Cowgill & Co. In 1882 Mr. Cowgill died, and then Mr. A. J.
Barrett became Mr. Brackett's partner in the business. The firm of Brackett & Barrett conducted the business until February, 1896,
when Mr. Brackett sold his interest to Mr. Barrett. In February, 1894, Mr. Brackett was elected president of the Citizens' State bank
and he has since remained the president of this bank, demonstrating extraordinary financial ability. He is regarded as a careful and
far-seeing business man, and enjoys the esteem and confidence of his fellow-citizens.
Mr. Brackett has taken considerable interest
in politics as a republican, but has never sought political preferment. However, he was honored by an election to the position of
presidential elector for the Tenth Indiana district, in the year 1892. Fraternally he is a member of the orders of Knights of Pythias,
Red Men, and Maccabees. He is an active member of the Baptist church, of which he has served as trustee for the last ten years.
Oct.17, 1877, Miss Sarah Merriam, of Brandon, Vt., became his wife. She has borne him three children, namely: Zoe A., Charles C. and
Mr. Brackett's father was Dr. Charles Brackett, who was born at Cherry Valley, Otsego county, N.Y., June 18, 1825. Dr.
Brackett received a good academical education, and early in life chose medicine as his profession, and graduated from the medical
college at Castleton, Vt., in 1845, at the age of twenty years. He immediately established himself in practice at Davenport, Iowa, where he remained only a short time, and then, in 1848, came to
Fulton county, Ind., where he soon grew into prominence in his profession. When the call came for soldiers to suppress the Southern
rebellion he was among the first to answer the call. His words were: "I deem the preservation of the Federal Union and the
maintenance of the Constitution paramount duties inclumbent on every American citizen, and in the performance of which none should
shrink from any toil, sacrifice or suffering." April 20, 1861 found him captain of a company of eighty men, raised in Fulton county,
and asking for a place to do service. The company not being accepted by the governoe, the call being full, Dr. Brackett went to
Indianapolis and tendered his services to the governor, offering to serve the Union army in whatever capacity he could be most useful,
and in August, 1861, he was commissioned assistant surgeon of the First regiment of Indiana cavalry. He immediately joined the
regiment at Camp Blair, Mo. The following November he returned home on account of sickness. While at home he received a commission
from Gov. Yates, of Illinois, as surgeon of the Ninth Illinois cavalry regiment, which was organized by his brother, Col. A. G.
Brackett. He joined the regiment at Camp Douglas, and from there went into Missouri and Arkansas, and continued in the service until
the time of his death, which occurred Feb. 20, 1863, at Helena, Ark. A detail was granted to convey his body home to Rochester. Of
the above named Ninth Illinois regiment his brother, Albert G. Brackett, was colonel; his brother, Joseph Brackett, was commissary;
his brother, James Brackett, was assistant surgeon, while he, as stated above, was surgeon. Dr. Charles Brackett's father was James
Brackett, who was born at Lee, N.H., March 31, 1782, and whose father, Joseph Brackett, a native of New Hampshire, was a first
lieutenant of cavalry in the Revolutionary war. Dr. Brackett's father was graduated from Dartmouth college in the class of 1805. He became a lawyer and located at Cherry Valley, N.Y., in 1808. One year later ha married
Eliza Mari (Bennett) Ely, at Philadelphia, and for forty-one years thereafter he practiced law at Cherry Valley, where his family of
seven sons and one daughter were reared. Dr. Charles Brackett was married in 1851 to Margaret Wilson, who was born at Rome, N.Y. Her
father, William Wilson, was a native of Glasgow, Scotland. At a very early date he removed from New York to Fulton county, and
settled near Kewanna. Unto Dr. Charles Brackett and wife were born the following children: Louisa, Lyman M., Rosanna, Mary and
Charles W. In 1869, the widowed mother of these five children became the wife of the late E. E. Cowgill, who in his day was one of
the best and most useful citizens of Fulton county. Unto his marriage to Mrs. Dr. Charles Brackett were born two children: the first,
a son, died at the age of five years; the second, a daughter, Edith, survives as his only descendant. His widow became the wife of
Dr. Vernon Gould, of Rochester, and is still living. Mr. Cowgill was born near Wilmington, Clinton county, Ohio, April 21, 1830. He
was a son of Asa and Margaret Cowgill. His parents and grandparents were Virginians, of English lineage. Mr. Cowgill became an orphan
at a very early age, and was reared by his father's brother. He made his first business adventure at Peru, Ind., where he met with
but indifferent success. At Peru he married, in 1862, Miss Nellie Rayburn, who lived but a year after the event, and bore him no
children. Shortly after the war Mr. Cowgill located in Rochester, and engaged in the lumber trade, in which he continued to the time
of his death, which occurred Aug. 1, 1882. He was very successful in business, and at the time of his death had accumulated large
wealth. He was beloved by all who knew him. In him the subject of this sketch, together with his brother and sisters, found a
generous friend and kind father, when he became the husband of their widowed mother. To his example, counsel and assistance they ascribe a large share of the advantages they have enjoyed, and in return they cherish
his memory as a rich heritage.
[Elia W. Peattie, Fulton County History, National Publishing Co,. Chicago 1896, pp. 39-42]
Monday, January 31, 1966
Lyman E. BRACKETT, 73, former resident of Rochester, died Monday of a heart attack sustained at his home, 2028 Southwest Sixth
street, Miami, Fla.
Mr. Brackett, who had resided in Florida since 1956, was rushed to Jackson Memorial hospital in Miami but was dead on arrival there.
He had not been ill and his death was unexpected.
Services will be in Miami and cremation will follow. Brief rites will be held here later in the week before interment in the I.O.O.F.
cemetery. The Zimmerman Brothers funeral home will be in charge. The family requests that donations other than flowers be made to
the heart fund.
Mr. Brackett was the third generation of one of Rochester's most prominent pioneer families. His grandfather, Dr. Charles BRACKETT,
came to this city from Vermont in 1848 and distinguished himself as a surgion for Indiana and Illinois cavalry regiments in the
Civil War, dying in the midst of that conflict in 1863.
His father, Lyman M. BRACKETT, was a leading merchant in the city, operating a lumber business and later the Progress Wholesale
Grocery company in the building now occupied by Topps Manufacturing company.
Lyman M. Brackett and A. J. BARRETT constructed the Arlington block on the east side of Main street in 1890, Mr. Brackett owning the
south half which consisted of four business rooms, 14 apartments and a large K. of P. lodge meeting hall. The Brackett family home
was at the northeast corner of Fulton and Ninth streets.
Lyman Ely BRACKETT was born Oct. 19, 1892, in Rochester, the son of Lyman M. and Sarah MERRIAM BRACKETT. His mother was a native of
Brandon, Vt. He lived in this city 60 years and was married to Arwesta PERSONETTE, of Argos, who survives.
Also surviving are a son, Richard [BRACKETT], Harlingen, Texas; two grandchildren and cousins, Don PLANK, Sr., Mrs. Scott BOWEN,
Mrs. Charles PYLE and Mrs. Lucille LEONARD, all of Rochester.
Preceding in death were a brother, Charles [BRACKETT], and a sister, Mrs. Maurice (Zoa) SHELTON.
Mr. Brackett attended Rochester high school, where he was a basketball star, and also attended the University of Notre Dame, Indiana
university and Chicago business college.
He entered his father's wholesale grocery business and after it ceased operation he moved to the West, being associated in asbestos
mining in Glove, Ariz., and later in real estate at San Diego, Cal.
Returning to this city, he assumed management of the Brackett half of the Arlington block. When it was destroyed by fire Jan. 24,
1956, he sold the property and moved to Miami, where he acquired and managed two apartment buildings on the city's west side.
A lifelong enthusiast of water sports, he was an accomplished sailor and competed in races at Lake Manitou and Lake Maxinkuckee.
The family owned a cottage on the east shore of Manitou many years.
In Miami, he owned both power and sail boats, often residing aboard the craft and taking ocean cruises.