Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Names of Cottages Over the Years  



Some of these cottages are known as to location and some are not as yet; as found liks will be placed to the cottage page.

Hopefully all the identities and locations of the cottages will be known and can be placed in the list of cottages and owners also - some have already.

They are also listed here as well. These Cottages were listed as being on the lake in the 1881 history and gleaned from other sources also

There are post cards and other things concerning the cottages as I fine tune the pages will add these items also to the pages within the site.

1932 - October 5 – Belden cottage on East Side of lake destroyed by fire with loss of $7, 000.

Below are two pictures of cottages on the lake the first is a log cabin and the other two are photos - could the be the north shore cottages?:






A-Shan-Tee - Goldsmiths of Terre Haute - West side

Acorn Heights - Long Point Dahlen-Weinstein Cottage

Airly Days - Russell Fisher - South End - log cabin built of Tamarack logs by Russell Fisher

Aubbeenaubee Park - My guess would be the Academy property and also refered to as the Culver Park.

Alpine Rose / Alpenrose - Henry Meyer - Long Point

Beach Lawn - Simon P. Sheerin

Bellewood Lodge - L B Hackett
Between The Oaks - Mordhurst Cottage



Bonnie Doon - McQuat Cottage

Buckeye, The - Steinhilber

Butterfield - E. W. Butterfield, of Brooklyn, Indiana, built a five-room cottage
on the lake front at the Assembly grounds in 1904

Casa Contenta - O. C. Hann

Cherry Villa
Judge Morris Winfield cottage

Cosy Cote - Lynn B. Millikan

Cricket Camp - Joseph Strong

Duck Inn Cottage - ? W. H. Schroeder Logansport?

Echo - Willis Vajen, Geo. B. Yandes note; the Indiana Boathouse is in the backqround)


Edgewater - Carson cottage

Elmwood/Elmwood Lodge 1952, Walter W. Foskett

Indianapolis Club

Fairview #1 (Original) - John H. Vagen / Henry Lane Wilson

Fairview #2 built 1906 John H. Vagen / Perry Griffith property

Fairwinds - John Sloane kittle

Glossburner Cottage [Glossburner]


Glen Ayr - Job Freeman - North Shore - W. O. Osborn

Grand View - 1903, A Curtis, Cincinnati, Ohio, 1919 Braman

Green Gables - Fulton - 1918 one of the Foss cottages

Green Leaves - Winslow, East side


Greenwood - Asssembly Grounds

Happy Hollow - O. C. Hornung

Halcyon Villa - H. B. Scott, Edwards
< ul>This encompassed what is now the Ball and Bernerno cottage properties and was all one lot. The cottge sat approximately where the ball cottage sits today if it is not part of the orginial Halcyon Villa structure.
Hame Wold - Henry B Heywood Cottage
Happy Landings - S A Fisher cottage Long Point

Happy Thought - Hillis

Haws, The - F. M. Harwood

Hickory Crest - George Sherman

Hidden Inn (East) -- / Frank Lamson

Highland House

Highland View - Long Point ?A. C. Shepherd?

Hilarity Hall

Idleden - A. E. Ellsworth Cottage

Idlewild - McSheey Cottage - Long Point

Idle-ease - W. S. Duenweg [Walter S Duenweg]

Ingleside - 1903 owned by Griffith's

Illinois, The

Ivy Cliff - Long Point ?Charles Caffyn?

Katydid - Sarbers [1766 East Shore Drive ]

Kemah

Kearn - Assembly Grounds

Kwitcherkikin - Rice

Knoll (Sunet Knoll), The - Rice

Langgolf cottage - 1931 - Assemby Grounds

Leaning Sycamore - Cosler

Locust Bluff - A. H. Springer

Manana Charles E Coffin Cottage see also Portledge


Maple Grove - Norris cottage

Marigolds, the Kittles aka Pow Wow see Fairwinds

Martin Box, The - L. B. Martin of Terre Haute

Meadow Lodge - W. E. Shirk

Melba, The - Jones cottage

Oaks, The - North Shore - Ed Schuermann, Indianapolis

Oak Dell - E. W. Johnson owner in 1903 on Long Point
    IN THOSE DAYS OF OUR YOUTH With The Spectator 20 Yearn Ago!... “Ed Johnson has been compelled to change the name of the cottage at Lake Maxinkuckee from Terre Haute to Oak Dell. After a fire which destroyed his first summer home he changed the name to Terre Haute. But as strangers, attracted by the name on the front of the cottage, continued to call with requests for the beverage that has made this town famous, Mr. Johnson thought it was going beyond the limit. ‘They can’t tell me there is nothing in a name,’ he says. 'But it is strange that when any one gets away from Terre Haute and sees the name it can’t mean anything but that beer is for sale.’ Since Oak Dell has adorned the front of the Johnson cottage he has not been bothered by thirsty visitors.” - - Terre Haute Saturday Spectator, Saturday, August 08, 1925, Terre Haute, Indiana

Oak Knoll - T. Medbourn, M. R. Cline
Oak Lodge - 1952 - Gloris Shegan (East)

Oak Terrace - A. J. Murdock - cottage after 1892 fire

Oakridge - Assembly Grounds

Orchard House- Marmon

Pleasant Point

Pine Tree - Benedict Cottage North of Aubbenaubbee Bay, near Council Fire Circle.

Portledge - Charles E. Coffin

Pottawattomie Reservation or Pottawatomie Wig Wam - Mc Donald Cottage

Pow Wow - Robinson see Fairwinds

Rest Haven - Demas Deming

Portledge - Charles E. Coffin



Roost, The - Conzelman Cottage, the Roost on left -
North Shore on Aubbenaubbee Bay after the Palmer House
T. Conzelman, St. Louis, Missouri; 1904 "Buckskin Landis"


"Seaweed" - 1952, Earl H. Blanchard

Seven Gables

Shady Point AKADuenweg Cottage - (as not sure which Duenweg, is attached to all) = Rittimier


As stated in Lake Maxinkuckee: A Physical and Biological Survey
it was located in front of the Arlington Station and adjacent
to the Arlington Hotel grounds. This was formerly known as the
Duenweg cottage.

Shady Bluff - Wheeler's,



Shanty - North shore

Ship-House, The - Shaneberger

Sign of the Oriole, The - Ketcham cottage

Sleepy Hallow - Theodore Locke

South View - Herz Cottage - North shore between park and CMA

Squirrel Inn / Squirrel Lawn (East) - T. H. Wilson

Palmer House

Suits-Us lSuits-Us - Perry Moon & L. S Harshman

Sunny Side - - ?J. E. McFarland? - East Side

Sunset - The - Bardsley cottage West Shore Lost Lake

Sunset Knoll - north cottage of Mrs. Edward Taylor

Teepee, The - McDonald

Terrace View - west side Campbell

Terre Haute

Trails End - H. G. Shaffer Cottage

Mr. Griffith & T. C. Day

Two Oaks - Plank Cottage

A. R. Underwood Cottage




Villa Carl - Charles Monniger

Wabun - a Hazeldine Cottage

Waldorf

Wapanca Halll - W. H. Fulton

Week-wee-tn-sing - E. T. Hazeldine Cottage

West Point - Willis C. Vagen

Willowdale

Willow Spring - J. M. Dresser - 2276 East Shore Lane

Withes, The - Hazeldine
Windermere (Windmeyer)

Winitip - Frank C. Murphy
Withes, the

Woodbank - William Jacob Wood later Rasmussen Cottage







Today is