Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Culver & Its Newspapers May 1903-1923  

May 1903

J. H. (John Henry "Hank'" Koontz, a well known citizen as purchased our business. He will satisfy all unexpired subscriptons and collect all arrears upon the same

In May 1903 Koontz changed the name of the paper to the Culver Citizen By 1905 Koontz could claim to have two thousand readers from around the county. Koontz was active in the life of the town, serving on its first town board and participating in several local lodges.

It started in 1903 with eight pages, and later dropped to four pages.

The issue of 7 May 1903 was the first issue under the editor ship of Koontz and his remarks where:

    With this issue of THE Culver CITIZEN, we enter the fielf of journalism, though it be with fear and trembling, yet we have an abiding faith in out abioity to publish a good representative newpaper and will use our best efforts to make each issue better that the proceeding one. Our experience in this line is limited byt we have employed the very best help obtainable and in this way we hope to do justice to ur patrons by giving them a paper in which they may have a justifiable pride. It will be our highest sense of duty to, at all times and under all circumstances for the improvement of Culver , Lake Maxinkuckee and the territory tributary thereto. We purpose to publish a paper for all the people and will not force our political views upon our friends of opposite political faith, neither will we permit anthing to be published in this paper that will reflect upon the personal character of any one where we know that sipte and revenge are the motives.

    Culver is one of the most enterprising villages in the state, surrounded by a prosperous farming community and skited on the east by Lake Maxinkuckee, than which there is no more beautif ul body of water anywhere. A little at the north and east is the Culver Military Academy, the greatest institution of its kind in the United States, great in equipment, great in resources and best of all most through in its course on instruction. With all of these magnificent surroundings from which to draw inspirtation, we sho uld be able to prepare a paper that will be of interest to our people. Time will tell. The retiring editor of the Culver City Herald has our best wishes. May he ever Prosper. - J. H. Koontz & Son.

Culver has a new newspaper, The Citizen, and the first number is a fine piece of journalism. It is published by J. H. Kootz & Son, and its artistic and newsy features entitles it to a very liberal patronage. - - Rochester Sentinel, Tuesday, May 12, 1903

1904 - Jan 14 - Olin Gandy a printer of 20 years experience, is now installed as foreman in the citizen office

As time wore on, Marmont's newspaper and printery grew little by little until at length the expansion thereof demanded larger quarters. The thin building on Main Street became too thin, and a fatter building was sought.; which today bears the address of 202 N. Main.

In the issue of Jul 26, 1944 - addtional locations for the citizen were given - Harry Menser stated that the citizen plant from moved from the cramped photographer's building to the room above where the Hawkins Tavern is now located (618 Lake Shore Dr.; also there was the 1st Hawkins Tavern at 117 S. Main next door to the original Citizen Plant). W. S. Easterday states that from there it was moved to a small building where the library now stands and followed the small building when it was moved to the back of the lot on which Johnson Sevice station was located (202 N. Main) and from there it moved into the two story building on the front of the lot. before finally moving to the E. Washington street address

Finally, the narrow building was left behind, and the newspaper establishment occupied fairly broad quarters in a building on East Washington Street (108 East Washington St.).

It is there now, in doubly broad quarters, for it occupies the whole first floor

One reads that the rooms above the Citizen office were rented. That was May 5, 1904. But, five rooms over the printing office were for rent, December 28, 1905. (Today the big press--a new and bigger one - - is 'way down in the basement.)

At first the Citizen occupied only one-half of this building, but later expanded until all of the first floor and the basement were needed to house additional equipment.

Under Nearpass and Koontz the journal was issued every Friday and contained a good deal of national and international news. A “Home Gossip” page chronicled the activities of visitors to the small town, told who was moving out of town or into the community, or what new job a person might accept, as well as who came over for Sunday dinner. Nearpass constantly asked people to pay their delinquent subscriptions, sometimes in a column on page one. Koontz called his local summary of national and international news “From the Four Quarters of the Earth.”

1 April 1906
From The History of Marshall County (1908) by Daniel McDonald pg. 303:
    Culver City Herald. The first regular issue of a newspaper in Culver appeared in 1884, under the ownership of George Nearpass, who was also the editor and general manager. It was called the Culver City Herald. Mr. Nearpass continued its publication until May, 1903, when the plant was purchased by J. H. Koontz & Son, who changed the name of the paper to The Culver Citizen. In April, 1905, Arthur B. Holt, of Kankakee, Illinois, one of the publishers of the Daily and Semi-Weekly Gazette, bought the property, and is now conducting the paper on its former lines as a local, non-partisan weekly.

John Henry Koontz passed ownership on 1 April 1906 to Arthur B. Holt who became the publisher, remaining the proprietor until selling the journal in 1923. Holt was a native of Kankakee, Illinois [sic Janesville Rock, Wisconsin, and had been one of the publishers of the daily and semi weekly Gazette in that community.

The Culver Citizen has been sold by Koontz & Son to Arthur B. Holt, formerly of Kankakee, Ill. Mr. Holt is an experienced newspaper man, and we welcome him to our midst.
Rochester Sentinel, Friday, April 13, 1906

He retained the paper’s nonpartisan character. Under Holt “Personal Pointers” replaced the “Home Gossip” column, but retained its interest in personal happenings. Mr. HOLT remained as editor through the years that saw Culver grow from a village to a town and the paper progressed accordingly. He had a distinct flare for writing with a personal touch that made his paper outstanding. He left the writing of high-powered editorials to the metropolitan papers, while he sought out the small, homely items that concerned the everyday life of his readers. His dry humor persistently cropped out in unexpected places. Holt also added a column on the activities at Culver Military Academy and a section entitled “The Week in Culver ,” which concerned information on who had taken ill as well as who was moving into or out of town. He shortened the paper to four pages, but expanded the column space from five to six. His long reign in the editor's chair formed an important chapter in the local history of journalism

The "Citizen" was a 6-column paper until 1913, and 21-22-inch depth until a 16-page paper. 1913 - New home for the Culver Citizen -
    APRIL 10, 1913— H. H. Austin plans to tear down his livery barn and erect a two-story building 32x56, finished on the outside with stucco. The first floor will be largely occupied by The Citizen, and the second story will be fitted for flats.

    1913 - May 30 H. H. Austin has the distinction of putting up the first three story building in Culver . The third-story front will have two rooms which will be occupied by Mr. Austin and his wife. The second story will contain three offices and a suite of six family rooms which Phil McLane has rented. Three-fourths of the first floor will be taken by the Citizen plant. The east storeroom has not yet been rented

    1913 July 3 — As soon as this issue of The Citizen is off the press, the task of moving the plant into the new Austin building begins.

1919, Feb 5 - With our new type setting machine we are now enabled to get in the latest news withing a day or tow of going to press

It was changed January 11, 1922, to a 7-column paper, with four pages..

1923 - June 20 - Ownership and management of The Citizen has passed from the hands of A. B. Holt

1894 - May 1903 ~~~ May 1903 - 1923 ~~~ 1923 - 1953 ~~~ 1953 - 1967 ~~~ 1967 - ? ~~~

Today is