Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Hand Family of Marshall County Indiana & Culver Family of St. Louis, Missouri



Third Generation

8 Walter Lucius Culver b. 13 Oct. 1867 Kentucky d. 26 May 1947 Los Angeles co., California; m. 1889 Christian Scholl b. 26 Sep. 1866 Missouri 6 Nov. 1945 San Bernardino co. California d/o Cyrus Rector and Mary Jane (Maughs) Scholl

By census record they were divorced sometime betwee 1902 and 1920.

Official gazette of the United States Patent Office By United States. Patent Office 17 J uly 1900 pg. 489-90 - Water back dor ranges or stover Walter L Culver St Louis Mo assignor to the Wrought Iron Range Company same place Filed Feb 5 1900 Serial No 4,098 No model...

In 1900 his occupation is listed as manuf. ranges. States his father born Ohio and mother Indiana. States she had 3 children 2 living. Resided Clemmans Ave. Independent City, St. Louis, Missouri.

1910 Census (aet 42-3) - not found as yet.

1920 Census - Walter L. not found as yet - Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California Christian Culver b. 50 c. 1870 Missouri Divorced; Harry H Culver 25 b. c. 1895 Missouri Salesman Real Estate; Walter L Culver 21 Missouri b. c. 1899; Maughs Culver 18 c. 1902 Missouri

1930 Census - Walter L. not found as yet - E. Ave 38 Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California Christeen S Culver b. c. 1867 Missouri, Divorced; Harry 35 b. c. 1895 export, Rodio _, Wallie L on index Walter L. Jr. 32 b. c. 1897 Missouri architect construction

Past Masters of San Bernardino Lodge #178 Free & Accepted Masons - Walter L. Culver , 1947.

    ? Raymond Culver b. 1894 ?
    22 Milton Maughs Culver 31 Dec. 1883 8 Jan. 1888 buried Bellefontaine cemetery in St. Louis, Missouri
    23 Harry H./Henry H. Culver . b. Sept. 1895 Missouri ?14 Sep 1894 Missouri d. 14 Apr. 1984 Los Angeles co. California?
    24 Walter Lucius Culver Jr. b. 6 May 1898 Missouri d 17 Mar 1959 San Bernardino co. California
    ? Pressie Culver (f) b. 1899
    24a. Maughs Culver b. c. 1902 Missouri
      1920 Census - Oakland, Alameda, California, 21 b. c. 1899 Missouri, lodger

11 Henry Harrison Culver , Jr. b. 17 Dec. 1870 Missouri d 22 Jan 1912 [pdf file] St. Louis, Missouri buried 24 Jan. 1912 ; m. 26 Oct 1892 Minnie Letetia Taylor b. 27 May 1870 Ohio [tombstone reads 1873] d. 11 May 1949 [pdf file] Clayton, St. Louis, Missouri buried 13 May 1949 daughter of Norvelle and Margaret (Leckay) Taylor. Both buried at Bellefontaine Cemetery St. Louis, Missouri there are two views of their main monument a one from the distance and a closer one.

H. H. Jr. was Vice President of the Wrought Iron Range Company and the director of the Mechanics-American National Bank.
1900 census lived on W. Pine Blvd. and manfr. ranges.

1910 Resided Washington Terrace Independent , St. Louis, Missouri manufacture of ranges.

1920 Census - as Minnie Calver on index; Washington Terrace Independent , St. Louis, Missouri listed as widow with daughters Margaret J. & Ida R.

1930 +25 Margaret Jane/Margot J. Culver b. 18 May 1895; m. Monroe H Rodemyer
26 Ida Ruth Culver b. Feb. 1897 Missouri

12 Edwin Raymond Culver b. January 25, 1872 Knoxville, Tennessee d. October 2, 1930 [larger date view ]St. Louis, Missouri.

m. 1894 Alice L Ward [on a passenger list listed as Alice Wood Culver] b. 24 Jul 1875 Missouri d. 24 Feb 1947
m. 1894 Alice Ward b. 24 Jul 1875 Missouri d. 24 Feb 1947
[larger date view ]; m. 2nd John B. Parker


Bob Hartman has wrote of Edwin:
    turned over by his financially gifted brother, Bertram, during the Main Barrack project. This long- distance collaboration proved so satisfactory that Edwin, the more artistically creative of the two siblings, settled into his late father’s cottage, the Farmhouse, from whence he supervised the foot-printing of all campus buildings.

    About 1910, he built a lovely Swiss-style chalet just east of the Palmer House Hotel (later known as the Maxinkuckee or Culver Inn), where he remained until 1920 when most of his work on the campus was complete. He returned to St. Louis, but not before conveying the property to the Academy as the residence for the superintendent, Colonel Gignilliat.

    Edwin Culver ’s creative impact in the design and architecture of the campus, and the close collaboration he enjoyed with Knell lasted from 1895 to 1924.
Some history of the Wrought Iron Range Company:
    The Wrought Iron Range Company Building at 1901-37 Washington Avenue, included in the boundary of the St. Louis Central Business District, occupies the entire city block bounded by Washington Avenue to the south, 19th Street to the east, Lucas Avenue (an alley here) to the north and 20th Street to the west. The Wrought Iron Range Company, incorporated by three Culver brothers in 1881, grew to become one of the city's largest and most important producers of stoves. Although local architect Albert H. Knell received m ultiple commissions from the prosperous Culver family, all of his commercial work for the manufacturing company they founded has been razed except for this unusually fine Tudor Revival building. Designed to combine an upstairs showroom with rental storefronts, the Wrought Iron Range Company Building displayed a unique corporate image for downtown in its successf ul adaptation of high-style residential architecture for commercial use. It retains excellent integrity. The period of significance extends from 1926 to 1928, and reflects the years that the Wrought Iron Range Company used the building as their main display showroom; the company however retained ownership of the building until 1951.

    Ohio-born brothers Henry Harrison Culver , William Wallace Culver and Lucius Lewellyn Culver began their collaborative careers as traveling salesmen for Farmer Cook Stoves in 1864. Traveling door-to-door with m ule-drawn wagons loaded with cast iron stoves, each had a different trade territory to cover. Within a decade the trio had garnered enough financial resources to move to St. Louis, establish an office, expand into more states and hire a sales crew. Diffic ulty obtaining replacement parts for brittle cast iron castings produced by the Farmer Cook Stove Company prompted the Culver s to start manufacturing their own product in a city blessed with nearby coal and iron deposits.

    The Wrought Iron Range Company, incorporated with $30,000, opened for business in a modest factory at 9* Street and Christy Avenue in 1881. Breakage problems associated with the competitor's cast iron stoves were solved by adding wrought iron sheets to the body and the oven of the brothers' trademark Home Comfort stoves.' New features included increased cooking top surface and built-in ovens. By the spring of 1883, the company had increased capital stock to SI million and moved operations west to a new plant at 19th and Washington Avenue. Soon, the impressive factory wo uld cover an entire city block

    Although all three founders died around the turn of the century, Culver sons (and later grandsons) took over the thriving business and family philanthropies including the Culver Military Academy established in 1894 in Culver , Indiana In 1910 Wrought Iron Range bought a large tract of land near the city limits and began construction in 1911 of a 250,000 square foot "modern fireproof plant at 5661-81 Natural Bridge Road. Designed by Baker & Knell of St. Louis with construction by Murch Brothers, the project was estimated at $180,000. Included in the programming for the new plant was an area devoted to the production of miniature ranges. "Correct to the last detail," the small-scale models for traveling salesmen allowed each salesman to be equipped with a horse-drawn buggy rather than the old heavy wagons. Showrooms remained in the old factory on Washington Avenue. In 1919, Albert Knell (whose architectural office address is now listed at the factory) designed a $10,000 addition to the Natural Bridge facility. Another one of $75,000 by Knell followed in 1921.

    In June of 1925, the company applied for a permit to raze the old three-story factory on Washington Avenue and replace it with a two-story building designed as showroom and spec ulative rental space. Once again, the Culver s turned to architect Albert H. Knell (1854-c. 1930). Although virtually nothing is known about his formal training, Canadian-born Knell attended school from ages seven to twenty-three in Zurich (Switzerland) and Stuttgart (Germany) before establishing a St. Louis practice in 1884 at age thirty. Back on his own after a brief partnership with Henry Isaacs, Knell received one of the most important commissions of his career a house for the W. W. Culver family in just-opened Portland Place. With an estimated cost of $75,000 on the permit from J uly 24, 1891, # 39 Portland set a precedent for the many imposing mansions to follow on this premiere private street. The following year Knell received a commission from James Gay Butler and designed a lavish Queen Anne house on West Pine Bo ulevard. Before the end of the decade, Knell wo uld go on to design the Culver Building (razed) at 12th and Locust Streets and begin work on what wo uld eventually be twenty-two red brick buildings on the campus of Culver Military Academy in Indiana a school supported by the Culver Foundation.

    Knell's mixed-use replacement building for Wrought Iron Range wo uld be dramatically different in design and function. With an estimated cost of $100,000, the company showroom and rental shops built in 1925-26 by Murch Bros. Construction brought an elongated Tudor Revival village to the commercial streetscape. Attention to that f ull city block streetscape is evident in the handsome materials, decorative half-timbering and the caref ul (and costly) transition at each Washington Avenue corner where residentially scaled, high style elements lead almost seamlessly into the straightforward red brick rear portion.

    The linear front elevation, punctuated by nine peaked gables arranged in three sections separated by two faux-chimney piers, is an architectural oddity in this location. A style at the height of its pop ularity in suburban residential architecture during the 1920s, this loose variation of late Medieval England was a bold, almost alien, choice for a spec ulative piece of downtown St. Louis real estate.

    Earlier 19th century biographies of the founders and histories of their corporation recorded the "meager means" the brothers left in their Ohio family of origin. No mention was made of a notable ancestry.

    Whatever the intent was in choosing this partic ular image, the company presence wo uld not last long at its spec ulative Washington Avenue Tudor Revival showplace. Completed in 1926 in time for listings of occupants in the 1927 City Directory, most of the shotgunstyle rental space on the first floor was occupied by an assortment of tenants producing everything from coffee mills to scales. Entry to the Wrought Iron Range second floor showroom was provided through the stone-trimmed central bay placed in the middle of the composition. But by 1929, a separate Wrought Iron Range showroom address was no longer shown at this address nor was it listed at any address in future City Directories. It must be assumed that the showroom function was incorporated at the company factory on Natural Bridge.

    Edwin Culver , Jr., grandson of founder Henry Harrison Culver , retired from the company in 1960. Soon thereafter Wrought Iron Range was bought by the Universal Match Company. Today, no trace of the Knell-designed industrial complex has survived, leaving only the Washington Avenue project as evidence of decades of significant collaborations between architect and client.
1900 Census (aet 28)- not found as yet.

1910 Living Clemans Ave. St. Louis, Missouri. She was mother of 3 children 2 alive; he was listed as manufacture of Ranges

1920 Census - Hampton Park Dr. Richmond Heights, St Louis, Missouri and he was listed as Vice President of Stove co.

In 1930 they were living at Hampton Park Dr. Richmond Heights, St Louis, Missouri and he was listed as Vice President of Stove mfg.

    +27 Edwin Raymond Culver Jr. b. 3 Feb 1896 d. 24 Oct 1968; m. Ruth H. Heywood
    28 Gene Gordon Culver b. 25 Oct 1905 in St. Louis, Missouri d. 17 Feb. 1976 Hemet, Riverside, California; married abt 1923 Maxine Ford Stresenreuter Birth 18 Apr 1908 in Illinois Death abt 1966 divorced she m 2nd Harold Charles "Hal" Strotz daughter of Frank M Stresenreuter and Laurietta Ford ; m 2nd Elizabeth G. [-?-]; Class of 1927 Culver Military Academy
    29 - Unknown b. before 1910

(no 30)
13 Bertram Beach Culver b. 14 Jun 1875 Saint Louis, St Louis, Missouri d. 10 Dec. 1959 Saint Louis, St Louis, Missouri; m. aft 1900 Edna L. Lammert b. 10 May 1883 St. Louis, Missouri d. 6 Nov. 1956 [pdf file] St. Louis, Missouri buried 8 Nov. 1956 Bellefontaine Cemetery St. Louis, Missouri d/o Martin and Elsie J. (Kreuger) Lammert.


1900 is on census with mother and listed as being manfr. stoves;

1910 residing Kingston Place Independent City, St. Louis, Missouri; listed as manufacture of ranges. She was mother of 1 child

1920 Census Kingston Place Independent City, St. Louis, Missouri; listed as president of manufacture co.

1930 Census (aet 54-5)- not found as yet.

He was president of the Wrought Iron Range Company. On his World War I draft regisration card vitals are given [photo only] and he described himself [photo only]as tall, medium build eyes blue hair light.
14 Ida Lucille Culver b. 15 Jan 1877 Missouri d. 4 Nov. 1943 Berkley, Alameda, California; m. 9 Sep 1901 George Preston Wintermute b. 3 Dec 1871 [1872] Yankton, South Dakota d. 15 J ul. 1938 Berkley, Alameda, California son of Peter Preston and Jane Anna (Stinson) Wintermute. Both are buried Wintermute Family Mausoleum Mountain View Cemetery , Oakland, Alameda, California

George married 1st Jeanne {-?-] b. 1886 d. ? buried Wintermute Family Mausoleum Mountain View Cemetery , Oakland, Alameda, California.

George P Wuntermute came to Martinez in 1897 and remained one year ... The History of Contra Costa County, California (1917) by Frederick J. H ulaniski
The San Francisco Blue Book, 1905 (1905) Charles C. Hoag, Publisher, San Francisco, California - WINTERMUTE, Dr. George Preston, 1822 Fell (Tel. Fell 8586).

Wintermute George P - Official Register and Directory of Physicians and Surgeons in the State of California (1905) by California Medical Association
Claremont Register 1925 -- WINTERMUTE, Dr. and Mrs. George P., 227 Tunnel Road, cor. Vicente, (Berkeley 5933). Our Society Blue Book, Page 233, Hoag, Jed J. & Alexander D ulfer, D ulfer & Hoag Pub., San Francisco, CA. 1925

Art Principles in House, Furniture, and Village Building an Esposition of Designing Pprincples Which Every Hhouse Builder, Furniture User, and Village Dweller Sho uld Know by Arthur Bridgman Clark, M. AR. Architect Professor in Division of Graphic Art of Stanford Univeisty. California
    Fig. 3O. Bird's-eye view of the Wintermute house, with an analysis of its block organization. The blocks resting on u, b, c, d, and _, g, h, are the basic forms on which the numerous parts are built.


    31. The Wintermute House, from the driveway entrance pg. 20


    32. The Wintermute House, from below pg. 20


    33. Residence of Dr. George P. Wintermute, Tunnel Road, Berkeley, Cal. John Hudson Thomas, architect
    Residence of Dr. George P. Wintermute, Tunnel Road, Berkeley, Cal. John Hudson Thomas, architect. The metrical treatment and the m ultiplication of many parallel lines characterize this design as "Art Nouveau." — pg. 20

1900 is on census with mother

1910 they were residing Avalon Street Berkley, Alameda, California; states she was a mother of 2 children; he was a physician, eye/ear/nose.

1920 Census - Tunnel Road Berkley, Alameda, California; he is listed as phsyician retired.

1930 Census - Tunnel Road Berkley, Alameda, California; George, Ida C., Margery C. are the only ones listed besides servants.

    33 Emily Jane Wintermute b. 1903 California
    34 Marjory C. Wintermute b. c. 1904 California
    35 George P. Wintermute b. 3 Jan. 1919 California aet 11/12 on 1920 census; d. 1925 buried Wintermute Family Mausoleum Mountain View Cemetery, Oakland, Alameda, California
15 Knight K. Culver b. 21 Feb. 1878 Missouri; m. aft Apr. 1900 Laura M. [-?-] b. 1880 Missouri

On his World War I Draft registration card is vitals and he described himself as tall, medium build, eyes blues and hair light.

68 Preston Road Columbus, Ohio The twenty-two room house was built in 1928 by K. K. Culver at a cost rumored to be half a million dollars. Knight Culver was the son of Henry Harrison Culver of St. Louis, the founder of Culver Military Academy. Shortly after moving to Columbus, Knight Culver began planning this new home, using all of his mechanical expertise to f ulfill his dream of a magnificent Spanish dwelling. He acted as his own architect, and was so devoted to perfection that only the most highly skilled workmen were hired to execute his plans. It took three years to build, and the quality of its construction wo uld be almost impossible to duplicate today.

When Monocoupe-Lambert succumbed to the Depression, Monocoupe's Cleveland dealer, wealthy Knight K. Culver (son of the founder of Culver Military Academy), bought the cheap, efficient Monosport-G design, opened a factory in Columbus, Ohio, and hired Al to convert it into the tiny Dart G sport monoplane. Demand grew, but approaching World War II led to a military confiscation of most metal, diverted to weaponry. In 1940, Mooney redesigned the Dart -- still using anachronistic all-wood construction, but with the advance of "retractable" landing gear, first ever in such a tiny production airplane -- and company owner Knight Culver renamed the company (for himself).



The res ult was the Culver Cadet – the first pop ular retractable-geared light airplane. Over 350 Culver Cadets sold. With growing demand, the factory was outgrown. Wichita aviation investor Charles "Pappy" Yankey (a Beechcraft financier) invited Culver and Mooney to move to Wichita, and set up shop in Mooney's old plant, with Yankey's backing. The res ulting Culver Aircraft Co. wo uld quickly gain a new customer for its lively little wooden wonder.

1900 is on census with mother and listed as being manfr. stoves;

1910 - On Ancestry index as Dwight but spelling on census is Knight K. resided Oates Ave. Independent , St. Louis, Laura mother of 1 child; Missouri manufacture of ranges.

1920 Census - Listed as Hright K Calver on census index at ancestry.com but reads Knight West Vine Indepenence City St. Louis, Missouri listed as President Range co.

1930 Census - Preston Rd. Columbus, Franklin, Ohio listed as manufacture Iron Range Co.
    36 Emily Jane Culver BIRTH 4 JAN 1902 St Louis, St Louis, Missouri DEATH 8 JUNE 1981 Columbus, Franklin, Ohio. married Robert Huston Wolfe BIRTH 7 NOV 1899 Columbus, Franklin, Ohio DEATH 31 OCT 1981 Columbus, Franklin, Ohio of kidney disease. son of Robert Huston Wolfe & Maud Fowler

    Robert Wolfe & Emily Jane Culver had a son:
      WILLIAM Culver WOLFE, born 7 Nov. 1926, married RELNA KALFF, died 16 Oct. 1973 of a blood disease. Relna was born 15 May 1925. William was vice-president of the Dispatch Printing Co. The children of William & Relna (Kalff) Wolfe are:
        WILLIAM Culver WOLFE, Jr., became vice-president for community relations at the “Dispatch.” JAMES P. WOLFE, born 1952, died 1955. MARY RELNA WOLFE, married [-?-] CRALL. SUSAN JANE WOLFE


    37 Knight K. Culver Jr. b. 6 Sep 1913 St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri d. Jun 1982 Westerville, Franklin, Ohio


19 Walter Melvin Hand Sr. b. 5 Feb 1874 Marshall county, Indiana d. 14 Jul 1947 Argos, Marshall, Indiana buried Culver Masonic Cemetery.

his name is Walter Merwin Hand Sr. or so the a family member and further states:
    but his scrall was much like my father's... they made the 'r' bigger or higher and thin (looks like an l), next letter wo uld be a w but looks similar to a v (again, their handwriting was very high and thin). I recognize it. Someone read it as Melvin, but it is in fact Merwin. He also signed my father's original birth certificate, which was passed down to me. Middle name is definitely Merwin (we always laughed about it with my dad, asking him where they made the name up) We had never ever heard of that name before...."I was named after my Dad, first born, that's what they did back then")
but his name is found as either W. M. , Walter M. or Walter Melvin in records. Newspaper accounst yet gives another spelling to "Merwin"
    1935 - Mrs. W. Merwyn Hand Jr . was hostess at a bridge affair on Tuesday evening at which she entertained eight guests. Two tables progressed during, the evening with traveling favors being awarded at each table. Mrs. Luetta Whysong received the grand prize. - - Culver citizen Do you Remember 5 Oct 1965


Besides the census records the first offical record with his f ull name - and his signature on it is his draft registration for World War I; to me this definitely reads "Melvin"; as the "l's" in Walter, military, and Culver all pretty well mimic the "l" in Melvin. The next record is his obituary in which his name is Walter Melvin Hand which the infromation wo uld of been given either by his wife or his son Donald.


from the Indiana One Hundred and Fify Years of American Development Vol. 3 By Charles Roll, A.M. the Lewis Publishing Company, 1931 if found this biography:
    COL. WALTER M. HAND has been intimately associated with the institution known as Culver Military Academy practically from its beginning. He was a member of the original corps of cadets, played on the first football team of the academy, and was the first to hold the rank and title of quartermaster of the school. Colonel Hand's aunt, Emily Jane Hand, was the wife of H. H. Culver , the founder of the school on the shores of Lake Maxinkuckee, and which for over thirty years has ranked as one of the best preparatory and boys military schools in the country.

    The father of Colonel Hand was William E. Hand, who was born in Green Township, Marshall County, Indiana, September 29, 1852, son of William J. Hand. William J. Hand settled in Marshall County in 1843 and was not only a successf ul farmer but a leader in agric ultural affairs, being president of the Marshall County Agric ultural Society. William J. Hand married Sabrina Chapman, and of their children the youngest was William E. Hand. The latter for twenty-one years was associated with the development and management of the Culver farm owned by the wealthy iron manufacturer and philanthropist, H. H. Culver . During his later years he was engaged in the grocery business. He married, December 25, 1872, Lucy Brown, daughter of Charles and Lucy (Connor) Brown, who were early settlers of Marshall County. To their marriage were born two children, Walter M. and Maude M.

    Walter M. Hand grew up on the farm on Lake Maxinkuckee, but early found that he had no real taste for farming. In 1892 he entered Valparaiso University, graduating in 1893. It was in the summer of 1894 that the first summer school was conducted on Lake Maxinkuckee, and in the fall of that year the reg ular nine months session was opened, and among the thirty-two boys in the school in the opening term was Walter M. Hand, who drilled with the other cadets and played on the first football team. During the second years of the school he had an increasing share in its affairs, holding the rank of first lieutenant, the highest rank of that year, and was one of the school's best athletes. Later he became an assistant in the school business office, helping with the books, writing letters and acting as errand boy in the absence of any telephone communications. He served under all the successive business managers, with a rising status from office boy to clerk, clerk to bookkeeper, and finally secretary and general assistant.

    After eight years in the office he was promoted, in 1904, to f ull charge, with the title of quartermaster, and subsequently the military rank of lieutenant-colonel was conferred upon him. Culver Military Academy derives its fine reputation as a school not only from the personnel of its teaching staff and the spirit of the system, but also for the generous material equipment which has been provided, and the manager of the business department steadily for over a quarter of a century has been Colonel Hand.

    Colonel Hand is married and both his sons are graduates of Culver , where they stood among the best in scholarship and athletics. Colonel Hand and family reside in a handsome home adjoining the campus of the academy. His chief recreation is golf, and he plays that game over the course laid out on the ground which as a boy he helped c ultivate. For many years he has been an active figure in the church and Sunday school of Culver .


His death is found recorded in the Argos Reflector dated Thursday 17 J uly 1947 pg. 1 col 8
    Death Claims Walter Hand Following Long Illness

    Walter Melvin Hand, age 73, died at the Kelly Hospital in Argos early Sunday morning where he had been a patient for nearly five years.

    He was born in Marshall county near Plymouth Feb. 5, 1874. He atteneded the Culver Military Academy and was a member of the first class when the school was organized., graduating in 1896. He later attended Lehigh University and was graduated from Valparaiso University. He was a member of the staff of the Culver Academy for a period of 36 years, serving as quartermaster from 1906 to 1932, when he retired.

    Col Hand served with distinciton as Marshall county director of Civilian Works Administration during the early days of the depression, bringing order and organization out of Chaos.

    He is survived by his wife, Blanche. Merywyn of Johnstown, Pa., and Donald of Culver ; five grandchildren, and one sister, Mrs. W. E. Cook of South Bend.

    Funeral services were held in Grace Evangelical and Reformed church, Culver , Tuesday afternoon. Burial was in the Culver cemetery. Dr. Hardigg Sexton offficated.
m. 21 Jun 1889 Emma Blanche Barber b. October 19, 1875 in Bremen, Fairfield Co., Oh. d. April 04, 1955 in Plymouth, Marshall, Indana buried Culver Masonic Cemetery she was daugther of Joseph Wilson & Vienna Deborah (Cherry) Barber

Her death is found recorded in the Culver Citizen dated 6 Apr. 1955
    Emma B. Hand, 79, Resident since 1893, Dies

    Mrs. Emma Blanche Hand, age, 79, mother of Donald B. Hand, president of the Town Board, passed away Monday night at the Sheman Nursing home in Plymouth after an illness of two years.

    Born in Bremen, Ohio, Oct. 19, 1875, Mrs. Hand was the daughter of the later Rev. J. W. Barber. The family moved to Culver in 1893 where Rev. Barber was pastor of the Grace Evangelical and Reformed Chuurch for several years.

    On June 21, 1899 she was married to Walter M. Hand who preceded her in death J uly 13, 1947.

    Surviving relatives include two sons, Walter Merwyn Hand, Johnstown, Pa. and Donald B. Hand, Culver ; four sisters, Mrs. Maude Houser, Payne, Ohio, Mrs. Grace Kemple, Ashville, N.C., Mrs. Hazel Zechiel, North Lima, Ohio, and Mrs. Caroline Zechiel, Culver ; one brother Charles Barber -
    38 Walter Merwin Hand d. 17 Feb 1982; m. 1st Helen E. Medbourn; m. 2nd Marjory Thompson
    39 Donald Barber Hand b 14 Jul 1908 d: 15 Jun 1977; m. Lois Bess Morris
    40 Agnes Ernestine Hand b. 20 March 1910 d. November 20, 1915 buried Culver Masonic Cemetery
    41 Beatrice Hand b: May 31, 1912 d. 1912




Hand family Part 1 ~ ~ Hand family Part 2 ~ ~ Hand family Part 3 ~ ~







Today is