March 1943 Medborn Ice House Burns
1943 - Culver Citizen dated 24 March.
Medbourn Ice House Burns
||The above photo is the same one that appeared in an advertisement that was found in the
1922 Maxinkuckee yearbook but gives some details of the ice harvest.|
The last vestige of one booming business was destroyed by fire early Tuesday morning
when the, Medbourn Ice House
burned to the ground with a loss estimated at around
The fire was discovered before 1:00 a.m., and it had such a head start that by the time
the fire department arrived the entire structure was a mass of flames. A little over
a half hour after the alarm sounded, the last wall of the large structure caved in. So
rapidly did the all-wood building burn, fed by the dry hay and saw dust in the interior.
The building was built in 1908 and thoroughly repaired seven years ago. It had not been used
as an ice house since 1939, when the business was discontinued.
The ice house contained about 107,000 feet of lumber and It had been planned by the owner Harry
E. Medbourn, to tear is down in the future to utilize the lumber. About 20 tons of hay, some
odd pieces of lumber, the machinery on the transmission and gallery that brought the ice up
to the house and the runways were also destroyed. The loss was partially covered by insurance.
No definite cause for the start of the fire has been given.