Culver Homestead 446 East Shore Drive
1837 - 10 August - William Thompson
By Daniel Mc Daniel in "An Early History of Lake Maxinkuckee" (1908):
The Only one of the caravan who settled on the lake was Eleazer Thompson who built a log cabin a year or two later where the residence of Mrs. H. H. Culver is now located on the northeast shore. The old cabin still stands just north of the Culver residence, but has been remodeled, losing thereby some of its primitive beauty. Mr. Thompson was, therefore, the first white settler to take up permenant residence on the banks of the lake. He died a few years later, and the property has changed hands many times since then. The elder Adam Mow lived ther in the early forties, rearing a large family of boys and girls who are well remembered by the surviviors of that early period in the history of the lake.
1876 - Geo. Peeples 37 a
J. Wylie -
1880 - J. Hissong - 92.04/98a
1883 - Henry Harrison Culver
Henry H. Culver came to Culver in 1883 and retired to the 'Gounder's Home' and also refered to as the 'Founder's cabin'they
remodeled it andcalled it the 'Farmhouse' and began buying property of the northeast side of the lake; first buying 98 acres
[the Hissong farm] in the spring of 1883 [another source says 90 acres] and then 208 (Aubbeenaubbee Bay Farm] in 1884.
By 1886 he owned more than 300 acres, had constructed a handsome home - which they had named "Homestead".
1886 Jun 12 - The frame of Mr. Culver 's cottage is up, and eight men are pushing the work rapidly - Logansport Pharos Tribune
He built a home near the "Founders cabin" of Mr. Thompson - this cabin was moved in 1886 just a little was north of the resent
residence so it co uld be built and called it "Homestead". Some have claimed that H. H. Culver built the farmhouse in 1860 but
this is impossible as he did not purchase land in this area until 1883 and 1884.
The mound in the front yard of the Culver home was known as Pare Mound. For along time it was to believed to be the
burial grounds for Cheif Aubbeenaubbee. It is said to have been a pilot mound and was used by the Indians who were
canoeing on Lake Maxinkuckee to navigate by.
The Farm house was used by the superintendents as their residence before World War II. During the war it was used as a Tea
Room and afterwards and currently it is used as a guest house for the academies.
From the 15th Annual Report to the Governor, 1886 MAXINKUCKEE. W. H. THOMPSON AND S. E. LEE.
On the north-east shore, Mr. A. [H.] H. Culver has two wells, each seventy two feet deep, bored at points eighteen feet above
the surface of the lake
The bores show the following strata:
|Soil and yellow clay ||8 ft. |
|Blue clay ||38 ft.|
|Sand and gravel||12 ft. |
These wells will flow to a hight of thirty-one feet above the surface of the lake.
1898 - H. H. Culver - 35.27A & 55.60A
1900 - Laura Culver
1908 - H. H. Culver Est.
on east side of St. Rd. 117
Lot 4 - H. H. Culver Est. - 6.50
1909 - October - Emily J. (Hand) Culver [Mrs. Henry Harrison] m. Horace Bell- for time refered to as Culver -Bell or Bell-Culver Cottage
Also known as Aubbeenaubee Park
1922 - Laura M. Culver
on east side of St. Rd. 117
Laura M. Culver - 6.50
1931/2 - 2005 Culver Educational Foundation
on east side of St. Rd. 117
Knight K. Culver Cottage. Was purchased In 1935 and turned the "Golf Club".
In the Culver Assembly Bulletin of July 1889 the Culver Farm and residence was described:
In 1883 H. H. Culver bought an old farm and home on the east side, and began to improve it. Then the
road ran alongside the lake and the house was on the bluff above the lake shore. He removed it a few
feet, and built a handsome cottage at a cost of $8,000, on the site. The road was chaged to its present
line back of the cottage, and the lovely bluff site was improved until it has been made one of the
prettiest parks and summer seats in Indiana...the cottage and park as seen from the middle of the lake.
A heavy stone wall has been constructed along the shore to retain the bank, and a romatic "lover's walk"
follows the lake line. On the knoll above the boat pier is the spot where it is supposed, by old settlers,
the Great and beloved Indian Chief Aubinaubee is buried. Mr. Culver 's farm is well improved. He has now
about 300 acres. On the farm in some very fine stock - thorough bred cattle, sheep, hogs and horses.
Culver Park adjoins, and was part of it until set apart for park purposes....
The Whale's Jaw Bones.
At the boat peir in front of Mr. H. H. Culver 's cottage on the east side is erected the real jawbones of an
Atlantice whale,...Those bones were discovered in New Hampshire, by W. W. Culver , a few years ago as he was
driving through a village on the Atlantic coas. The had been taken from the head of an immense whale, that
was cast upon the shore by the tide, dead; and had been buried for several months, that they might be handled;
after which they were kept in salt water nearly a year. The young man who preserved them had many offers
for his prize, on from the Smithsonian Institute. Several museums also tried to buy them. Knowng what a rare
curiosity they wo uld be in the west, Mr. Culver made an offer for them with a view of placing them at Maxinkuckee.
After considerable correspondence, and at great cost, they were secured by H. H. Culver , and placed in theri
present position. They weigh more than a ton, and were diffic ult to handle. The freight and expense of removal
was enormous, but nothing compared to the original cost. They are rare and valuable specimens of the jaw bones of
great fish of the ocean. At the base there bones are three and one-half feet in circumference. As they stand over the
boat entrance ther are fifteen feet and eight inches in height...
|At some point, the jawbones were moved to the Woodcraft Camp, where they adorned the area
outside the camp museum cabin for some years. They were still there into the 1940s, though the removal of chips of
bone here and there as camp souvenirs through the years finally led to the demise of the old relics, which are believed
to have fallen into such ruin that they were discarded sometime in the 1950s.
Below are pictures of the Homestead - yet aonther has stated the originial Culver farm house was moved to
301 North Shore Lane
Here are views view of the Culver Homestead property on the East Shore. They show views from the lake;
looking over the lake, that view is looking North from the cottage to now what is the boat ramp area of the
A very early photo as it looked from standing on the Golf course area the back side of the barn that
was located on the edge of the golf course and also the wagon trail the would be assumed
between the Homestead and the Culver Military campus area.
Below are some of the Culver family at the homstead and on the lake.
Below is the Little Nicholas Baseball team of St. Louis in 1895 at the lake front of the cottage and other
entertaining and family photos.
||This is the lake front strip of the J. Hissong property H. H. Culver bought it contains 18A and this includes the Culver
Boat House. - N 1169.5FT S 1549.5 FT LOT 3 & R W RD |
||Culver Educational Foundation|