Culver Post Office History 1843 - 1899
Post offices are important, not only to facilitate communication, but also to establish the name
by which an unincorporated community's identity is carried through time.
Culver 's name has varied throughout the first years - on a plat map of 1843 it is found listed
as Geneva. Tho found is the following account given in the Citizen on Sep 2, 1957
Culver Post Office -
The remote antecedent of the Culver Post office was located about six miles southwest of
Plymouth and was known as "Onondaga", said to have been the second post office
established in the county, Plymouth having been the first.
The postmaster was Timothy Barber, who about that time erected at that place th first
grist mill in the county. The pace is known as Sligo. The Post office was established ther about
1840 and continued to exist for bout four years.
Tha mail route was Plymouth to Onondaga and return, leaving every Saturday at 4 o'clock and
returning immediately. The mail carried was John Burch.
About this time this post office was discintinued Benjamin F. Kendall, an agent of Eastern
speculators, located on a famr near Burr Oak, where a post office was established known as the
Yellow RIver post office, the mail being carried to it from Plymoutn and on to WInamac and
return by a man by the name of Lenfesty. This office was discontinued about the yyear 1856
and was succeeded by Union Twon post office, afterwards Marmont, now Culver, the name of the
In 1844 it was plated and laid out by Bayless L. Dickson and became Union Town or
Uniontown for the township it was within.
At some point in time during this period it was also referred to as Birmingham - but no
documentation for that name has been found to day - maybe an abstract will turn it up.
The name of the town was first Yellow River Post office for a short time
about 1848 which was ran by Mr. Kennedy
A re-survey of the village was made on 24 April 1851 (but was not recorded until 1857) and its
names was changed to Marmont, Dr. Gustuvus A. Durr was the instrumental party in this name
Just where the post office was original located in Marmont is not known as yet :
|| one account found in in the Culver herald on June 16, 1903 states:|
The first post office was in a small building on the lot south of the tin shop. In 1861 it
was moved to a building now occupied by Nathaniel Gandiy's residence .
and another account says it was in a General store - and an article found in the Logansport
Pharos dated 20 May 1887 pg. 4 gives this story of our local post office:
The residents of Marmont have been greatly excited of late over the post office.
The postmaster, who is the owner of a general store at Marmont, decided to move his store and
post office to a new brick building
near the railway station.
Residents of the village got up a petition against the office being removed.
Those who reside near the station and in the immediate neighborhood of the lake drew up a
petition for the removal of the office.
Finally the postmaster said the rules of the department did not specify the location of the post office,
and announced his intention of moving. He did so and mail is now recieved and forwarded from the
new locaation. This will be a great convenience during the summer to visitors.
Heretofore it was necessary to go to Marmont to obtain mail.
There will also be an additional delivery of mail during the day.
The storekeepers at Marmont are much incensed over the removal of the office. pg. 4 20 May 1887
and yet another account in the culver Citizen of March 3 1926 -
Two of Culver's Oldest buildings Wrecked for Modern Structures...
Two of the oldest buildings in Culver are being dismantled this week...the other is the store building on the
corner of Scott and
State Streets, owned for many years by T. E. Slattery...
Older residents of the community will recall years ago while Culver's post office was in the structure now used
as a residence by Mrs. M. Koontz. Avery Clark was the postmaster and storekeeper therin. An attempt was
made to move the post office to the Meyer building, but was thwarted by the general prosted of the citizens
of the community at the time
The Culver herald on June 16, 1904 states a similar move and the year is given as 1888 as follows:
N. F . Clark, postmaster in 1888, arranged to move the office to the depot but through the efforts of
the business men it was retained. This was an important event for the reason that had he succeeded
in changing the office the principal part of the town would now be Toner Ave
1861 - The first post office was in a small building on the lot south of the tin shop. In 1861 it was moved to
a building on the lot now occupied by Nathaniel Gandy's residence.
1864 - Marmont - Dr. G. A. Durr (1864), Dr. Durr was an intense admirer of the great Napoleon, and it was on his
petition that the name of Uniontown was changed to Marmont, the name of one of Napoleon's marshalls. The
office was then located in what is now the south portion of the Surprise building where the doctor had a drug
store and where Dr. Wiseman began his medical reading.
1876 - J. S. Barnheisel was postmaster and removed the office to a store which formed a portion of the present
J. H. Koontz residence.
1879 - Henry Speyer Sr. was the next postmaster and took the office back to the Durr building.
1885 - John Koontz came in with Cleveland's first administration (1885–1889) and the office was then removed
to Henry Koontz'a building on the site of the new bank building
(101 N Main St.
1889 - When (Benjamin) Harrison came into office (1889-1893) Henry Speyer Sr was made postmaster again and the
office was then in the present Saine building (102
1890 - Jan 1 - They have a new Democratic postmaster at Maxinkuckee - Logansport Pharos Tribune
1893 - Cleveland's second administration (1893-1897) gave Urias Menser the authority to wrtie "P.M." after his name,
and also the privilege of moving the office to the south part of the building now occupied by the hardware
store (120 S. Main
1895 - Nate Clark was postmaster and removed it back to the present Koontz residence.
1895 - Jul 20 - There is a movement on foot to change the name of the post office at
Marmont to "Culver City," in honor of the man who has done so much to advance the interests and growth,
of Lake Maxinkuckee.. The Marmont Herald is favoring the change, and the Plymouth Democrat, which
almost has a proprietary interest in the lake, seems favorable to tbe new; name. A petition is in circ ulation
at Marmont, and is being numerously signed, requesting that the authorities change the-name - Logansport Pharos Tribune
1896 - Jun 5 - Mr. Clyde Souder filed his bond and swore fealty to the constitution of the United States last Monday
morning, and forthwith assumed the duties as Assistant Postmaster.
In 1896 it was proposed the name be changed to Culver City but the Post office Department in Washington D.C. declined the name as a village in Tippecanoe
county Indiana existed under that name. Mr. Henry H. Culver negotiated with their town officials after finding out that it was named for Crane Culver .
He offered to pay all expenses involved with the name change from Culver to Crane. He prevailed and Marmont became the town of Culver during a Special
Fall Term of court in 1895 It is recorded in the Miscellaneous Deed Book D pg. 497 In part it reads:
Change of Name of the Town of Marmont, Indiana to Culver City, Indiana ...At a term of the Board of Commissioners of said county,
begun of Wednesday the 23rd day of October 1895.. the following proceedings were had on the 24th day of October 1895 in the cause of...Comes now
O. A. Rea and ninety-nine other qualified electors of the town of Marmont, Indiana and present their "verified" petition... And it is now ordered,
considered and adjudge by the board that said town of Marmont, Indiana shall from and after this date be known as Culver City, Indiana....Received for
record October 25th, 1895 at 9 1/2 o'clock A.M. Thomas H. Walker, Recorder Marshall County, Indiana.
One can find the name on maps and documents as: Town of Culver and Culver City but it was not
until 1949 that it was officially and legally changed to just - Culver .
1896 - Nov 13 - Applicants are out already for the post office.
1896 - Nov 20 - are several applicants at this place for the post office. There is no question but what those that
have appeared upon the surface as aspirants are good men, but there are several things to take into consideration.
The postoffice should go to some reliable person who can give it his undivided attention. Patrons of the postoffice
have long since been tired of waiting until the postmaster has weighed out nails, sold stoves or transacted other business
of like nature before waiting upon patrons of the post office.There sho uld be no objection to business men conducting
the mails, if they will do it as a business entirely aside from any other business. We think this is about the opinion
of every patron of our postoffice
1896 - Dec 4 fromt he Culver City Hearld - Commuinicaited.
Please allow me a small space in the columns of the Herald relative to the applicants and patrons of thepost office.
We believe the great interest to be considered sho uld be that which wo uld promote the greatest interest of the patrons
of the office, as the post office has been managed in a very earless and unsatisfactory manner here for many years, except
the time that John Koontz was postmaster, when it was located in what was then known as the postoffice building, and where
the patrons of the office were promptly waited upon, and did not have to wait in some general store where boots and shoes,
hats, cap, men’s ana boys' clothing, dry goods and notions with a grocery departmentincluded, where from three to five
clerks have been employed until some of the clerks or postmaster could be at liberty to wait upon a patron of the postoffice.
The people have long since grown tired of the way the postoffice has been conducted in such a place, as 12 or 15 years is a long
time for the people to be provoked in such a way of keeping the office.
We understand there are three business men now who are applicants for the postoffice. We regard each of them to be gentlemen
in every respect, but as patrons of the office, knowing the inconvenience we have experienced during all the time the postoffice
has been kept in business houses, for the last 20 years, as patrons of the office, do you still want to continue the office to be kept
in some business house or wo uld you prefer the office to be kept in a separate room wholly disconnected with any business house,
where the postmaster wo uld be required to give the patrons of the office his undivided attention.
If so now is the time to have the interest of the patrons considered, as we fully believe that our Congressman Royce has the backbone
to promote the interest of the people, but as a people if we want any change made relative to how the postoffice sho uld be kept we
sho uld make expression to that effect to our congressman, who will unquestionably consider our rights and privileges.
1897 - Jan 23 - Name Has Been Changed. After mouths have passed, the post 0ffice department has finally acted upon the change of the name of
Marmont, to Culver City. But notwithstanding the fact that it was the earnest desire of our citizens that it would be Culver City, it was
changed to the name of “Culver ". Hence the Herald is printed in "Culver " this week instead of Culver City. The action of the postoffice
department, we understand, will take effect about March 1st
1897 - Feb 6 8 Explanatory. As some misapprehension exists as to why the name of Marmont post office was not
changed so as to correspond with the name adopted by the local authorities it may be well be to quote the
reasons which made such change impossibee. Following is an order issued by the Department over two years ago:
Ordered, No. 114.— To remote a cause of annoyance to the Department and injury to: the Postal Service
in the selection of names for newly established post offices, it is hereby ordered, that from this date
onlv short names or names of one word will be accepted. There may be exceptions when the name selected
is historical, or has become local by long usage, bct the department RESERVES THE RIGHT IN SUCH CASES TO
MAKE THE EXCEPTION OR NOT AS IT sees proper! Names of post offices will only be changed for reasons
satisfactory to the Department. W. S. Bissell, Postmaster General.
When petition for change of name was forwarded to the Department the same was returned to the postmaster
at Marmont with the followGrovering indorsement:
Respectfully returned to the Post master at Marmont, Marshall Co., Ind., with the information that the Department
cannot take into consideration the proposed change in the name of post office at Marmont to Culver City because
the Department objects to double names. R. A. Maxwell, Fourth Asst. P.M. General
1897 - June 25 - Henry Speyer was appointed postmaster at Culver the 14th inst,, and
has already forwarded his bonds to Washington for approval. He will at once erect a 10x24 building
between the furniture store and K. of P. block, and will take charge of the office about July 1st., with Miss
Alice Shultz as first assistant deputy. To say that we are pleased over the fact that the office will so soon pass
into other bauds is putting it rather mild, for there is a possibility that under the new regime our mails may
be handled with some reg ularity, and our subscribers receive the papers we enter at the postoffice the same
month. Mr. Speyer has had several years of experience and knows just what is necessary to conduct an up to
date postoffice. (This was what is now 110
1897 - July 30 - After a long wait, the glass fronts and doors for the new post office have arrived and are already
placed in position and present quite a metropolitan appearance
1899 July 14 - A new awning now adorns the post office building.
Date unknown - on back written is "Grandpa and Geo. Ruggan/Rugger Culver Post Office
|| Add states "Barn Oppostie Post Office" McLane & Co. Porprietors|
After Dr. Wiseman was appointed postmaster 15 feet was added to its. length.
1903 - Nov 26 - Postmaster Wiseman has concluded that kerosene lamps are a back number for business
rooms and has made arrangements with Mr. Leonard, of Plymouth to had a five light gas plant put in the
post office in the near future.
1905 - Sep 28 - Rural Mail Boxes Numbered
Postmaster Wiseman has received a communication from the Post-office demartment stating that the boxes
on all rural routes are to be numbered.
The numbering will begin with 1 on each route and go from that up in the order in whcich the carrier arrives at the boxes.
Only boxes which are approved and found to be safe, wastherproof and fit will be entitield to numbers. All boxes
which are non-weatherproff or otherwise unfit receptacles for may must be replaced by approved boxes.
No box within an incorporated city or town or withing 1/2 mile of a post office at an unicorporated town by numbered
unless such box was erected prior to Oct. 1903,, or is being served by specific order of the department.
However, there must be no with-drawl of service from any box now served until such withdrawal is ordered by the
Boxes once numbered are to be recorded in the carrier's book and also by the postmaster, and are not to be
tereafter changed except by authoruty of the postmaster.
As soon as the numbers have been assigned on a rout the ppstmaster will furnish each box owner the number of
his box, and request that this number be at once legibly and dirably placed on the box. Boxes served by more than
on route will be numbered in their order on each route. New boxes erected after the original numbering,
between those already on the rout will receive a number next higher than the last number on the route
By this change riral patrons will have box numbers in the country the same as they formerly had in the city office, and
the farmer is a big nitch ahead of the fellow who lives in town.
1906 - June 7 - Post Office Salary Raised
Increased receipts of the CUlver post office during the year ending March 1, 1906 have raised the office into the $1700
The receipts during that period were $5500, and during the three months last past there has been a further increase
over the corresponding months of last year which makes it practically certain that the office will pay $1800 in 1907.
Dr. WIseman's amibition is to see the office raised to the second-class when it will pay $2000 and also the salary of an
1908 - Jan 9 - Our New Post Office
- - New Bank Building
1908 - Apr 30 - New Post Office Safe
The new post office safe has arrived and is installed. It is a very handsome one, made by the Victor Safe & Lock Co.
of Cinicinnati, O.
Postmaster Wiseman is very proud of this addition to the equipment furnished by Mr. Shilling, the lessor, but says
that the safe will be use principally for protecting the records of the office and for taking care of things of value to
the department and the postmaster only, and that the surplus funds and stock will continue to be kept in the vault
of the Exchange bank as heretofore.
1909 - Jun 10 - Culver Post Office Rasied
In the annual re-classification of INdiana post offices Culver is raised from the third to the second class.
1940- Present ~~~
This carriesd an increase of $100 in the postmaster's sallary, making his compensation $2,000 per annum.
Heretofore the governemtn has allowed $500 for dputy hire, leaving as balance to be paid out of the psostmaster's
salary. The postmaster has also theretofore paid his own clerk hire. Now the department will pay the entire salary of the
deputy clerk and wll also pay $600