Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

1953 - Culver Fire Department is 50 years old.



Members were:
David Burns, Fire Chief
Oscar Booker, Assistant Fire Chief
Arthur Fishburn, captain
Monton "Mont" H. Foss, Secretary-Treasurer

Clipped articles from area newspapers of the event are as follows:

Culver Fire Department
To Observe 50th Year

Culver , Ind., Feb. 6 - The 50th anniversary of the Culver Volunteer Fire Department will be observed with a fish fry at the Town Hall Monday, Feb. 9 at 7:30 p.m. Special guests will be former members of the group, and the program will include moving pictures.

The department was organized Feb. 3, 1903 at the William Foss Harness Shop on South Main Street. Monton H. Foss. son of William Foss, who is now secretary-treasurer is the only charter member still active in the department. Each member of the original group paid a one dollar fee for the privilege of belonging and each new member was charged a dollar. With this money, fir fighting equipment, con siting of rubber buckets and a ladder was purchased.

Citizens of Culver finally organized the Culver Water Department and installed a few hydrants in the business section of town. The first fire truck was a hand push cart (still in the possession of the fire department) which was donated by the Plymouth Fire Department and was equipped with a bell and hose. Plymouth also donated a light weight hand-p ulled ladder truck.

In 1907, the town purchased a new chassis and equipped it with three thirty-gallon chemical tanks. These tanks were later discarded and a pump was installed in the truck. Later, by public subscription, a fire truck was purchased. When Union township joined the town in supporting the fire department, a new chassis with a 500-gallon pumper and 100-gallon booster tank was purchased.

In 1947, again by public subscription, a high pressure fog truck was procured, and the same year another pumper with a 500-gallon booster tank was purchased by the town and township. The present fire department, equipped with three modern trucks and manned by 14 members, provides ample fire protection for Culver and surrounding community. David Burns is fire chief; Oscar Booker, assistant chief; Arthur Fishburn, captain and Monton H. Foss, secretary-treasurer.






Firemen Plan Culver Event

Department's 50th Anniversary to be Marked

The Tribune Special Services - Culver , Ind. - The 50th anniversary of the Culver Volunteer Fire Department will be observed with a fish fray in the Town Hall at 7:30 o'clock Monday evening. With special guest to be former members of the group. The program will include moving pictures.

The department was organized Feb. 3, 1903 in the William Foss Harness Shop on S. Main Street. Monton H. Foss, son of William Foss, who is now secretary-treasurer of the organization, is the only charter member still a member of the department. Each member of the original group paid a $1 dollar fee for the privilege of belonging and each new member was charged $1. With this money, fire fighting equipment consisting of rubber buckets and a ladder were preached.

Install Hydrants


The citizens of Culver finally organized the Culver Water Department and installed a few hydrants in the business section of town. The first fire truck was a hand push cart (still in the possession of the fire department) which was donated by Plymouth Fire Department. It was equipped with a bell and hose. Plymouth also donated a light-weight hand p ulled ladder truck. In 1907 the town purchased a Republic chassis and equipped it with three 30-gallon chemical tanks. These tanks were later discarded and a Hale pump installed in the truck. Later, by public subscription, a General Fire Truck was purchased.

When [Then] a few years later Union Township joined the town in supporting the fire department, a new Ford chassis with a 500-gallon Hale pumper and 100-gallon booster tank was purchased.

New Equipment

In 1947, by public subscription, a John Bean High Pressure Fog Truck with a 500-gallon booster was purchased. The same year a Howe pumper with a 500-gallon booster tank was purchased by the town and township. The present fire department equipped with three modern trucks, the Ford, John Bean and Howe, and manned by 14 members, protects Culver and surrounding community. David Burns is fire chief; Oscar Booker, assistant chief; Arthur Fishburn, Captain; and Monton H. Foss, secretary-treasurer.






Today is