Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana


Clyde Combs  


Clyde Combs, a Popular Young Business A Man of Culver, Almost Instantly Killed While Hunting Ducks on the Lake Saturday

Clyde Combs who moved to Culver from Leiterís Ford last February and took possession of the grist mill in partnership with his brother-in-law, Clyde Lough, was fatally wounded by the accidental discharge of a shot gun while hunting ducks Staurday afternoon, his death resulting five hours later.

He was in company with Elga Sanders, Levi Bush and Chester Zechiel, at a blind in front of; the Johnson cottage on Long Point, and the clucks not flying around the point, Combs and Sanders decided to go out in a boat and stir them up a bit. Sanders got into the stern of the boat and Combs in the bow, he intending to do the rowing, when, in laying his gun down, the hammer caught on the seat and it was discharged, the whole load of No. 5 shot entering his left side just above the hips. The muzzle of the gun was no more than 18 inches from his body and the shock pitched him over into the water. He caught hold of an old board wall which kept him from going clear in the lake. The unfortunate man was hastily taken to the Chadwick House and made as comfortable as possible and several of the boys started for a livery rig and doctors. Before they got very far, Minor Flagg came along in a buggy and he took Mr. Combs to the office of Dr. Parker, where he was placed on an operating table and examined. The examination showed the serious nature of the would and Drs. Rea and Wiseman were hastily summoned in consultation, but the wound was fatal and the doctors could do little but make the poor manís condition easier. He was moved to his home on the west side at five oíclock, where he died at ten minutes past seven.

His parents and the family physician, Dr. Overmyer, of Leiter's Ford arrived a short time >before his death. The body was taken to the home of his parents at Leiter s Sunday by Undertaker Luckenbill

Although Mr. Combs had been a resident of Culver but a short time he had a wide circle of friends. His quiet manner and straight business dealings made him well liked and respected by all who knew him

A wife and one small child survive him and the have the svmpathy of this entire community in their loss.

James Clyde Combs was born April 30, 1883, died March 20, 1904, age 20 years, 10 mouths. 2 days. He was married to Ruby Ethel Lough Feb. 9, 1902. To this union one son was born. He leaves a wife and son. father, mother, five sisters, one brother and a host of friends to mourn his loss. He was a loving husband and a kind and loving son and brother. Funeral services were held at the Leiterís Ford M. E. church Monday afternoon at 2 oíclock by Rev Pelley, Interment in the I . O. O. F. cemetery.

Today is