Bay View Place Hotel
||Section 22 - ? acres
||Section 22 |
Section 22 Lot 1 - 37.70A; 40
Section: 22 Lot 2 - 45.45A
Section 22 Lot 3 - 32.00A
Section 22 Lot 4 - 35.70A
||1872 Plat Map Section 22
Lot 1 - 37.32 - G. Peeples
Lot 2 - 45.45A S & J. W Rector
Lot Two (2) heretofore sold and conveyed by one Lewis Rector and wife, Sarah A.,
and James E. Thomas, to Milo Smith and which subsequently became the property
of one W. E. Leonard at the water line on the East Shore of Lake Maxinkuckee,
and running thence on the meander line of said Lake Maxinkuckee
Lot 3 32A - S. Rector
S & J W Rector - 40A
A Smith - 80A
3.90A - A W B
.97? - D J
159A - J. C. Miles a part in Sec. 23-
A Bartholomew 35.70A
|1876 Plat Map Section 22
||1880 Plat Map Section 22
Platted cottage lots|
G. Peeples 35.5A
Rector & Thomas 85A & 32A
H. B. Scott 34.50A
Was formed as the Bayview Club house Association in 1885. Was formed by five families. Sold to Edward B. Porter
An early flyer states that Mrs. Harry Pfalzaraf, was the manager of the hotel
In the 20 March 1896 Culver Herald is found:
Keifer & Whitcomb, the wide-awake gentlemen that conducted the Bay View Hotel last season,
has leased the Lakeview Hotel and will conduct the same this year.
1896, John L. Booth was manager. One account list that it had 44 rooms.
David. Burns stated that the Bay View Hotel in Maxinkuckee had 100 guests and 44 rooms
1896 - May 27 - Bay View Hotel, Lake Maxinkuckee. Now open. Good fishing, boats, minnows and fishing tackle always on
hand.—Jno. L. Booth, Manager - Logansport Pharos Tribune
1896 - Jun 12 - Geo. Whitcomb and Chas. Keifer, who conducted the Bay View hotel last season, are spending a few days
at the lake. The boys have hosts upon hosts of friends here who are glad to see their smiling faces again
1896 - June 26 - The following are registered for the season at the Bay View: J. L. Greenlief and wife, and Ben Jones
and John Shaw, of Indianaplis; C. Johnston Smith, a noted artist of New York City; Miss Mabel Evans,
of Atlanta, Ga.; W. Baldwin and wife (theatrical people) of New York; Edwin P. Hahn and wife, of Louisville,
Ky.; J. E. Compton and wife, of Evansville.
1896 - July 10 - HIGH-TONED HOP
The Bon Tons were Present — A Glorious Time
1897 - Jun 11 - The Bay View hotel opened this week with Horace Hames, of Indianapolis. as manager
Last Saturday evening the first real society ball ol the season occurred at the pop ular resort hotel,
the Bay View.
Everv arrangement had been made by the genial proprietor, ’Colonel' John Booth, for the notable event, the hotel
grounds being handsomely decorated with Chinese lanterns, national colors, interspersed by a beautiful display of
fire works early in the evening.
The spacious and elegant ball room was most artistically decorated, and when the ladies arrived and entered the
same dressed in lovely white cos-tumes, the room presented a magnificent panorama of feminine beautv
and artistic skill in the decorative art.
Par excellent music was furnished bv the McMillen orchestra of Logansport.
The guests present consisted of the bon ton society who occupy cottages and club houses
on the east side, and the “ Brunnell” society of the north and west side of the lake.
The gentlemen appeared in full dress and presented a very fascinating appearance.
There were also several distinguished guests present from Logansport, Terre Haute, Plymouth, Indianapolis and Cincinnati.
1898 - It was a popular place during the 1880's and closed in 1898 suddenly the 9 Sep. 1898 issue of the Culver Herald
proclaimed the sudden closing of the Bay View. It was converted into three separate cottages in 1898.
1898 - Sep - 9 - The Bav View Hotel was closed last week rather unexpected, in fact
the gentleman in charge suddenly closed the house, packed his gripand departed for
another climate leaving several creditors to mourn their loss. Mr. Porter of Indianapolis was
here Monday and made arrangements to clean up the grounds, repair fences etc. He said
that he contemplated fitting the house over into cottages and having them for rent,
thereby doing way with the hotel altogether, as it was impossible to secure a manager
who is thoroughly competent in every partic ular
1899 - May 12 - Mr. Edwin B. Parker has contracted with Mr. Albert Bogardus to tear down the old part of the Bay View
House and to construct two modern cottages out of the new part of the building
1900 - April 20 - A former member of the Bay View Club speaks of the rise and fall of
Maxinkuckee Lake, it is plain to see that he has lost his former interest in more ways
than one, he should take a look at us now
1906 - Jun 7 - Mrs. Maude Eddy arrived at the lake Tuesday to take charge of the
Bay View House.
1906 - Jun 28 - Mr. E. Smith proprietor of the Bay View, his son and C. L. Dwinnell
of Indianapolis were guests at the Bay View Sunday
1907 - Mar 28 - Scott Foss is building a dining room and changing the Bay View cottages for a
hotel. C. L. Dwinnell has leased the place for five years and will be ready for the lake
trade at an early date.
1907 - May 16 - Contractor Foss has just completed a diniing room 20x30 for D. L. Dwinnell of
Indianapolis at the Bay View
|1908 1908 E. B. Porters/Parker Subdivision - there are six lots
1909 - Jun 3 - Geo. R. Bullard of Muncie is the new landlord at Bay View Place and is
ready to cater to the wants of all who want a square meal or a shady retreat.
1910 - Aug 25 - The guests of Bay View Place tendered a surprise on Landlord Henry Ruth
and his wife...
1911 - Apr 27 - Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ruth of Indianapolis are at the lake getting Bay View
Place into shapr for the fine summer trade which they are sure to have. A new roof has
been put on the house, the kitchen is being enlarged, and other improvemens looking to
the comfort of the guests are being made. The Bay View Table last season won a great
deal of praise for Mr. and Mrs. Ruth.
1912 - Jul 12 - The Bay View Place hotel was raided on Saturday and bottled goods were
foind in the possiession of the proprietor Henry Ruth.
1913 - May 1 - Bay View Place Open - The old and favorite East side resort, the Bay View
Place, is open for the season with Harry Pfalzeeraf of Indianapolis as manager...
1917 - Masy 16 - B. H. Linus of Indianapolis hase leased the Bay View Hotel for the season
and opens it this week.
1918 - May 22 - The Bay View will be opened next week by Kuhn & Kuhler of Indiainappolis
1919 - May 14 - ...Bay View hotels will open June 1... the latter under the management of
Howard Hass of the Hotel Culver.
1920 - May 20 - Fire At Bay View Hotel Put out with Buckets
The Bay View Hotel caught fire on the roof near the chimney Sunday morning and gave the
fire truck and a lot of automobiles a chase of a couple of miles.
Buckets in the hands of the hotel people and the neighbors put out the flames after a hole had been burned
in the roof.
Mr. and Mrs Haas are managing the hotel again this season and have put it into shape for the season's buisness. Some
improvements have been made, notably the enlargement of the lobby by 300 square feet and connecting the loby with
the dining room.
1921 apr 20 The owners of the Bay View property have been at the Lake overseeing some
improvements of the building. It will be remembered that it was made into four
apartments last fall. Thus four of the old-time hotels which were pop ular resorts
in their day, have gone out of business: the Chadwick, the Arlington, the Norris House,
and the Bay View
||1922 E. B. Porters/Parker Subdivision > - there are six lots|
1920 - Nov. 17 - The old Bay View Hotel on the East side is being moved and divided into
sections which will, it is said be converted into cottages.
It is said that the hotel sat on what today is the Perry property.
19_ - Samuel Elliot III (1846-1915) & Mary (Milford) Perkins
1921 - APr 20 - The owners of the Bay view property has been at the lake overseeing some
improvements on the building. It will be remembered that it was made into four appartments
Samuel Perkins stated this about the property:
The Perkins family of Indianapolis became summer residents on East Shore of
lake in 1920 when Susan E. H. Perkins purchased Bayview Place.
In 1921 it is said four apartments was built from the Bay View Hotel.
In a biography of Samuel E. Perkins IV's 4th great grandfather Judge Samuel E. Perkins is found the family history
that which pertaines to his parents and him is as follows:
.....Judge Samuel Perkins....married Amanda J. Pyle...Ten children were born to them
The oldest son, Samuel E. Perkins II was born at Richmond September 2, 1846. The year following his birth his parents moved
to Indianpolis in order that is father might attend to his duties as Supreme Judge. In the capital city he spent his hoyhood and youth,
finishing his schooling in Northwestern Christain University, now Butler College. Under his father he guided his mind in its first
acquisition of legal knowledge, and subsequently was a student in the law school founded by Judge Perkins and Hon. Joseph E. McDonald.
He and his father, during the few years when the latter was not on the bench, where actively associated in in practice, but upon the
death of Judge Perkins his son sought no further opportunities to build up his clientage and found his time well taken up by managing
the various property interests he had acquired. He was more widely known as a cousellor than as a court practitioner. He had a thorough
knowledge of the law and was wise in its application. Perhaps his chief characteristics were his industry and his love of home. He was
universally respected for his upright life and for the general good he did in the community. He had a well rounded and usef ul life,
though he did not attain the age of three score and ten. He died April 8, 1915 [age 68].
On July 11, 1877, he married Susan Elizabeth Hatch. She is still living in Indianapolis, and her marked literary talents have brought
her much esteem in literary circles. She is the mother of two sons, Samuel E. and Volney. The latter died in 1900, while a student at
Samuel E. Perkins III, whose secure position in the Indianapolis bar serves to connect the present with the older
generation distinguished by hi sgrandfather, was born at Indianapolis May 8, 1878. After attending private and grade
schools in Indianapolis he entered Wabash College, from which he graduated Batchelor of Arts in 1900. The Indiana Law
School gave him his L.L.B. degree in 1902, and since that year he has been steadily winning the honors of his choosen
On September 11, 1901, he married Mary F. Milford at Crawfordsville. They had two children, a daughter Susan L., fifteen years of age,
and the son aged ten bears the name Samuel E. IV and represents the fourth generation of his honored name and family in Indiana.
Indiana and Indianans : a history of aboriginal and territorial Indiana and the century of statehood
Chicago: American Historical Society, 1919, pg. 1240-
Samuel Perkins stated this about the property also: that his mother had a 2 frame story cottage built by Roscoe Stevens and in
1960 it was replaced by a Cape Cod cottage. In 1960 she split the property between her children: Samuel Elliot Jr. and Susan (Mrs.
Frank Setzler) and they both built separate homes on the property. [another gives the date as 1950]
||This is a cropped section from the 1927 proposed change for State Road 117. It clearly
shores all the Bay View Club Plat which was also E. B. Porter's Subdivision|
1950 - 2 Aug - Cottage Being Erected Along East Shore Road
A new cottage is being erected along the East Shore Road by Mrs. S. E. Perkins,
well known summer resident, who formerly resided in Indianapolis.
Located on the lod Bayview Club property, which has been enjoyed by four
genrations of the Perkins family, the new cottage is of Cape Cod design.
Eventually it is planned to erect two modern homes on the side of the persent
large summer cottage which has been used by the family since 1917.
One of the new homes is to being planned for Mrs. Perkin's son, S. E. Perkins
IV and the other for her daughter, Mrs. Frank M. Setzler. Both families now
reside in Washington D.C.
1953-7 -- Perkins Apartment
Mary M. Perkins
1960 -- Perkins Property subdivided
Jim Moss states that the Bay View property took in
- 950 -
East Shore Drive.