Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Allen A Norris, M. D.  



June 1, 1911 Dr. Norris is just completing a cottage near Maple Grove House, owned by his father, Harvey Norris, on the east side of the Lake.

He also wrote some very interesting Letter's to the Editor in the 1950's during the Hawk Lake dellma and some interesting historical background material surrouding the lake and the dam at the oulet.

Dr. Allen Norris, Former Summer Resident, Dies

    Dr. Allen A. Norris , father of Culver 's Dr. Ernest B. Norris of 2805 East Shore Drive, died at 4:45 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 11, in General Hospital in Elkhart, Ind . A well-known physician, former educator, and secretary of the Elkhart City Board of Health for several years, Doctor Norris was 90 years of age and resided in Elkhart at 410 West Marion Street.

    Doctor Allen Norris was the son of Harvey R. and Louisa (Adler) Norris, who resided on the shore farm located on the southeast shore of Lake Maxinkuckee from 1880 to 1929. Following the death of Mrs. Harvey Norris, the farm was owned and maintained by Doctor Norris until 1955, at which time it passed to his son, Dr. Ernest B. Norris , who still resides there, now named Norris Park .

    A graduate of Indiana University, Bloomington, where he received a Bachelor of Arts Degree in 1902, and of Rush Medical College in Chicago which later became part of the University of Chicago, he received a Doctor of Medicine degree in 1906.

    One of the oldest retired teachers in the State and undoubtedly the oldest in the county, Doctor Norris began his teaching career in 1891, at the age of 16, at the Hillside School which was located two miles west and one-half mile north of Burr Oak. He later taught at the Kaley School, the Hibbard School and the Mount Pleasant School all one-room country schools in Union Township. He was named superintendent of schools in Syracuse, a post he held from 1899 to 1904.

    Doctor Norris wrote a book on the Life of St. Paul , and contributed articles to various publications on zoology. He worked on a hydrographic survey of Lake Wawasee and Winona Lake.

    Vitally interested in the physical geography of Lake Maxinkuckee and i ts surrounding area, Doctor Norris contributed many letters to the editor of The Culver Citizen during the 1930's and 1940's

    In 1956, shortly before retirement from active practice, Doctor Morris was honored by the Indiana State Medical Society with an award of distinction for 50 years if service as a physician.

    For several years he served as secretary of the Elkhart City Board of Health. During his tenture he drew up the city's first grade "A" milk ordinance, which was later copied by many other Indiana cities.

    He was an examiner for the Elkhart County Selective Service Board in World War I and World War II and he served as acting coroner during the early years of World War II .

    His voluntary work in examinng Elkhart draftees during World War II and the Korean conflict earned him the Congresional Selective Service Medal. Citations signed by Presidents Roosevelt, Truman, and Eisenhower were among his mementos.

    A past president of the Elkhart County Medical Society, Doctor Norris was a member of the comnittee which built the first Elkhart General Hospital. He was the last surviving charter director of the First Old State Bank in Elkhart. He was an honorary member if the Indiana State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.

    He was a member of the Trinity Methodist Church and was an active in Masonic affairs. He was a rrcmber of Syracuse Lodge Free and Accepted Masons, Concord Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and Elkhart Commandery, Scottish Rite, Valley of South Bend. Doctor Norris was born Jan. 20, 1875, in LaPorte County. He married Dora B. Kelly, principal of Middlebury School, on Dec. 24, 1898. She died May 2, 1958.

    Surviving are a daughter, Mrs. M. Jessup, Westfield, Ind.; the son, Dr. Ernest B. Norris, Culver ; and a sister, Mrs. Anna Larkin, former Culver resident now residng at 14025 Lewis St., N. E. , Alliance, Ohio.

    Other survivors include four grandchildren, Mrs. A. C. Dufour and Allen M. Norris, both of Elklart, Mrs. Donald Cummins, Litle Rock, Ark ., and John M. Jesup, Baltimore , Md. Services were held at 1 0 : 30 a.m. Tuesday, , Sept. 14, at Elkhart's White Funeral Home with Dr . O. Wayne Pa ulen, pastor of the Trinity Methodist Church in Elkhart, officiating. Burial was made in Rice Cemetery there,

    editor's Note: D. Hatten, well-known Culver resident and bussiman affiliated with Hatten Motors, began his education as a firs t grade, pupil of Doctor Norris in 1891-92 his first year as a teacher at the Hillside School - -THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 1965







Today is