Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Maxinkuckee Inn  



PALMER HOUSE , NOW MAXINKUCKEE INN

    New Management

    Tavern Snop to Close Decembr 31; Hotel Has New Furnishings and Atmosphere

    After being known as the Palmer House for 57 years, the well known hotel near the Academy is having its name changed to " Maxinkuckee Inn" in conformity with a change of management and policy. The change is effective December 1.

    Miss Anne Ellsworth, who has been associated with the Tavern Shop for some time, will have personal supervision of the hotel, succeedeing F. S. Murphy, who has been manager of the Palmer House for about a year.

    Not only has the hotel's name and management been changed, but so have its furnishings and policy in keeping with the plan to instill the atmosphere of a hospitable old inn instead of a formal hotel.

    Comfortable new furniture in maple, a fine large window overlooking the lake and a grand fire place in the lounge, a new card room, redecorating and comfortably furnishing all the rooms, equipping of several rooms with bath and the placing of other bathrooms about the building are the main changes at the inn. It is expected that new rates will be announced in the near future.

    Home cooking will be featured by the kitchen under the direction of Miss Opal Barkes of Lafayette, and the home atmosphere will be carried out by women waitresses in the dining room and The Shack.

    The Tavern Shop, which has been operated in connection with the Palmer House, will be discontinued December 31, it has been announced, and the stock of clothing and gifts is being closed out. - Culver Citizen Nov. 30, 1932


PALMER HOUSE, Culver , NOW MAXINKUCKEE INN
    Culver , Ind., Dec. 1. - After being known as the Palmer House for 57 years, the well known hotel near the Academy is having its name changed to " Maxinkuckee Inn" in conformity with a change of management and policy. The change was effective today.

    Miss Anne Ellsworth, who has been associated with the Tavern Shop for some time, will have personal supervision of the hotel, superceding F. S. Murphy, who has been manager of the Palmer House for about a year.

    Not only has the hotel's name and management been changed, but so have its furnishings and policy in keeping with the plan to instill the atmosphere of a hospitable old inn instead of a formal hotel.

    Comfortable new furniture in maple, a fine large window overlooking the lake and a grand fire place in the l ounge, a new card room, redecorating and comfortably furnishing all the rooms, equipping of several rooms with bath and the placing of other bathrooms about the building are the main changes at the inn. It is expected that new rates will be announced in the near future.

    Home cooking will be featured by the kitchen under the direction of Miss Opal Barkes of Lafayette, and the home atmosphere will be carried out by women waitresses in the dining room and The Shack.

    The Tavern Shop, which has been operated in connection with the Palmer House, will be discontinued December 31, it has been announced, and the stock of clothing and gists [gifts] is being closed out. - The News-Sentinel, Thursday, December 1, 1932


The name was changed from the Palmer House as of 1 January 1933 to The Maxinkuckee Inn and was incorporated and the that name and remained under that name until March of 1954

In 1933 The Inn began to expanded as need for private baths was being required two more bathrooms were added to the second floor and also more five hotel rooms with baths were added to the ground floor. The "Shack" was re-opened as it had been closed for several years and the space had been leased out - as a men's clothing store called the "Toggery Shop" and "Tavern Shop" .

It expanded first with another building known as " The Club" which was acquired 1933, the Club House and Jungle Hotel, two summer establishments west of the Maxinkuckee Inn both were purchased by the Culver Reality and Investment Company. The Club House Hotel was moved next door to the Inn [75 feet southwest] being re-named: The Club and also known as the Macinkuckee Inn Annex. 1933 - Feb. 15 - Club House Being Moved To Lake Edge
    In Two Sections

    Will Provide Improved Facilities For Academy Guets; Ready By Easter

    In oder to improve the facilities available to visitors and guests of the Academy, the Club House is being moved to the lake shore along side of the Maxinkuckee Inn.

    There the structure will be remodeled to provided sixteen rooms all with bath and will furnished.

    It is expected that the work will be completed by Easter in order to help acomodate the large number of people who are always visiting the Academy at that time.

    The new building, to be known as the Maxinkuckee Inn Annex, will be placed 75 feet southwest of the Inn proper, and to allow attractive landscaping will be situated at a considerable distance back from the lake, giving room for an attractive lawn, The numerous trees about the place will be utilized to add to the picturesque setting.

    The Annex per the 1937 Sanborn Map marked "Club Ho"


    In order to make room for the new Annex the two frame cottages next to the Inn are being torn down and the area will be cleared away by the end of this week and a basement built

    1924 Sanborn maps marked with red X's


    The Club House has been cut in two and one section is now being moved to its new location. This work was suspended last week by the storm, but the moving is being resumed this week and it is planned to have the first section on its new site by the end of the week.

    Rooms and bathrooms will be added downstairs in all of the space not occupied by the lobby. New furnishings will add a further attraction, as will a pleasant fireplace in the lobby. The Annes will be heated by a central heating plant to be located in the Inn proper.


1933 - apr. 19 - Maxinkuckee In Annex Comlpeted
    Work on the Maxinkuckee Inn Annex, formerly the Club House, was completed Thursday.

    The Annex consists of sixteen rooms, each with bath and twin beds

    The lobby is equipped eith a large scenic window, similar to the one in Maxinkuckee Inn, and a large log dire place.

    New fixtirues have been installed throughout. Special attention was paid to the beds and those installed are the most comfortable obtainable.

    Occupnats of the Annex will take their meals in the dinning room of the Macinkuckee Inn which is but a few steps away.


It proved an immediate success.

Later 1933, a two-story building formerly used as an accommodation for inn employees, was remodeled and named The Lodge. Later came " The Lodge" with twenty-eight rooms with baths
    1933 - May 3 - To Remodel Garage at Maxinkuckee Inn
      The former two-story annex to the Old Plamer House, which was occupied by sleeping rooms on the second floor and a acar storage on the first floors, is to de converted into an addition to the Maxinkuckee Inn. Extensice alterations will be made.

      A lobby and a number of bed rooms will be installed in the first floor and the bed rooms on the second floor will be remodeled. Private baths for each room will be installed.

      The space between this addition and the new annex east of the Inn's main building will be made into a garden and lawn.


An ad placed on Jun 7, 1933 stated" Must Sell Out - The building in which The Tavern Shop is located is to be torn down to permit additional improvements to the grounds about the Maxinkuckee Inn... Sale will start Moanday June 1th but if you are in a hurry call Harry Speyer...

1935 - Feb 27 - Maxinkuckee Inn Is Undergoing Changes
    Culver Cottage is to Be Made into Golfer's Hotel

    Extensive changes are being made at the Maxinkuckee Inn and a remodeling program has been announved for the former K. K. Culver cottage that will greatly imrprove the hotel faciilities for those visiting the Academy or Lake Maxinkuckee.

    The upstairs of the Maxinkuckee Inn is undergoing considerable alteration to provide better accomodations for Culver guests in the future. The partitions have been changed and the number of rooms decreased to make space for private baths for each of the bedrooms on the second floor. Ther will be sixteen rooms on that floor. Among the other changes are new furniture and decorations

    With these improvements all the inn accomodations will have brought up-to-date in their furnishings and plumbing conviences, and the Inn management willbe able to provide all its guests rooms with private baths.

    Plan Fifteen Rooms

    The former K. K. Culver cottage is to be made into an inn this spring. It is located on the east side of Lake Maxinkuckee and as it will be near the golf course it has already been named the Golf Club.

    The home will be converted into a small inn with fifteen rooms, each with a private bath. There will be a large lounge equipped with furniture in the modernistic pattern.

    The addition of the new Golf Club to the Inn's properties makes four modern hotel buildings available to the Inn's patrons and assures Culver visitors hotel service of the highest quality at all times, even during the holiday rushes at Easter and commencemnt.


1935 - Jun 19 - Maxinkuckee Inn to Change Plan of Rates
    Achange in plan of operation from the American to the European, effective June 21, had been announced by the Maxinkuckee Inn.

    Single room rates will range from $2.25 tp $4.00; while double will be $3.25 to $7.00. All rooms now have twin beds and private baths.

    Breakfast will be priced atr 35c ro 65c; lucheons at 50c to $1.00; and dinners form 75c to $1.25. Special buffett suppers will be served on Thursday and Sunday nights for 75c.


and in 1938 further expansion of it occurred with expansion to the west and they Became known as the " East Lodge" and " West Lodge" ; with 28 bedrooms and private baths. The Club was razed in 1959 and the East Lodge was demolished in 1960 the West Lodge remained being used first for the band and then was remodeled in the 1970's and became " Linden Hall" which was razed in 2000

a view of the inside of the West Lodge from a postcard dated 1956.


1935 - feburary 27 - Extensive changes are being made at The Maxinkuckee Inn and a remodeling program has been announced for the K. K. Culver cottage which will be used as a golfer's hotel.


John P. Walter the former owner of the Palmer House died 18 Mach 1937

This is the area as given on the 1937 fire map




1935 - oct. 30 - Roof FIre Results In $400 Loss at Inn
    Between $400 and $500 damage was done to the Lodge of the Maxinkuckee Inn Shortly before noon Friday when sparks from the chimney ignited the wooden shingles on the roof.

    The fire was put out by empployess of the Inn who used a hose from a nearby hysdrant.

    The Culver Fire Department was called buit the flalmes had been extinguished by the time the trauck arrived.

    While a hole was burned in the roof, the main loss was due to water damaging the ceiling and walls of the rooms on the second story.

    Two or three rooms will have to be replastered as well as a possiblity that some furnishing will have to be replaced.

    Insurance will cover the loss.


here are the matches advertising the Maxinkukee Inn:



1944 - 23 february - Edward Payne Becomes Maxinkuckee Inn Mgr.
    Edward F Payne Jr., of New York, become manafer of the Maxinkuckee Inn last week, succeeding Mrss Anne Ellsworth who will take a well earned vacation before taking a new position.

    Mr. Payne has been in the hotel business for 12 years, coming here from Schrafti's. Previously Mr. and Mrs. Payne had operated an inn in Vermont.


1945 - Jun 13 - Resigns as Inn Manager - Edward F. Payne, manager of the Maxinkuckee Inn since early 1944, ahs resigned his postion to become head of the Charlotte, N. C. Country Club.

1946 - May 1 - Accpets Position At Inn
    Robert Thomure has accepted a position at the Maxinkucee Inn, it has been announced by the management.

    Mr. Thomoure began his new duties as desk man this past week.

    A native of St. Louis, Mo., Mr. Thomure recieved his discharge from the army air forces in the fall after seeing 34 months service with the Nintu Air Force in the European Theater of opersations.


1949 - Mar 23 - Remodeling Maxinkuckee Inn;

    Plan to Erect New Addition

    The Maxinkuckee Inn, one of the oldest landmarks on Lake Maxinkuckee, is undergoing extensive alteration with the additon of a new building scheduled to be erected in the near future.

    Work is in progress on thorough alteration of the main building, a new unitl will be added to the Inn group during the summer.

    Plans for remodeling the Inn formerly known as the Palmer HOuse, will completely modernize the lake front hotel. When completed, it promises to be on of the most attractinve Northern Indiana Hotels.

    Wedemyer and Hecker of St. Louis, are the architects and the construction work for remodeling and building the new unit is being done by the James I Barnes Construction Co., Russell Easteday, ,manager.

    In the main building, the dinning room and lounge facilities are being enlarged to include all the space formerly occupied by the lake front entrance.. "Picture windows" along the lake side will form part of the decorative scheme. The seating capacity, it is estimated, will be increased twenty-five per cent. To the west of the enlarged dinign room, tje fprmer ;pbby is being converted to a lounge.

    Other major changes provide for four double rooms to be added on the upper floor. An enlarged kitchen with completely new equipment and additional cold storage fanilities will provide service for both the dining room and the Shack.

    The contractors expect to complete work on the main buildin of the Inn by June 4, in time for use by guests here for commencement activities.

    To the Lodge and the Annes a 40 by 150 foot unit will be built.

    This addition,located west of the Lodge, will provide "studio-bedroom" type accomodations for thirty guests. Included in the modern appointments will be ceramic tile baths and individual telephones for each room.

    Present plans call for the completion of the entire building program by thanksgiving, 1949.


1953 - 28 October - Maxinkuckee Inn Under New Management
    Edwin W. Dybing Is Veteran of Hotel Administration

    Edwin w. Dybing of cape Cod, Mass. has taken over the management of the Maxinkuckee Inn according to an announcement by officials of Maxinkuckee Inn, In., under whose management the 82-year-old establishmen has been operated for the past 20 years/

    BUilt in 1880, the Inn has long served as a resort center for Lake Maxinkuckee cottager and visitors and for the past 60 years it has been the center for Culver Military cadets and visitors.

    Mr. Dybing, prominent New England innkeeper and widely known in Eastern hoterl management circles, is a natice of Norway.

    He has been in hotel management work for the past 32 years and has operations in New Englanf and Flordia

    Owner of the Wequassett Inn on Cape Cod, he plans to remain at the Inn here during the inter. WHile his plans are not complete it was indicated tha Mrs. Dybing and his 10 year old daughter Sally, will join hiim in Culver soon.

    A director of the Massachuessetts Hotel Association and the American Hoel Association, he is a menber of the Boston Epicurean Club and Vatal Epicurean Club of New YOrk City. He is also a member of the St. Martin F & A. M. of Chatham, Mass.

    For the past five years Betty Sheeterly has been manager of the Inn. Her plans have not been announced.
.



Palmer House ~~ Maxinkuxkee Inn ~~ Culver Inn ~~ Culver Motels







Today is