Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Ohmer House  

Ohmer House
N & G Ohmer Hotel
Railroad Restaurant
Located at the Vandalia Station

Logansport Journal October 12, 1883 - Hotel at Maxinkuckee.
    It is stated on good authority that the celebtated restaurant men, N. and G Ohmer, of Dayton, Ohio, propose to build a $70.000 hotel at Maxinkuckee next season. This firm owns restaurants at Lafayette, Indianapolis, Richmond, Dayton, and many other points, has an abundance of capital, and if Messrs. Ohmer take hold of the matter it will boom. Now that the Vandalia extension opens up the lake to the traveling public there is a great demand for a first-class hotel there and such an enterprise would undoubtedly be a paying investment.

1885 - May 8 - A restaurant, skating rink and lodge hois is to be built at Lake Maxinkuckee the Nickel Plate reseort. i The Fort Wayne Sentinel

Messrs Ohmer Bros, the famous railraod restaurateurs, have leased the fine new rink at Lake Maxinkukcee and have kinfly donated its use to the Brotherhood of Locomotice Firemen, on the occasion of their on the occasion of their exuasrsion. They have opened a fine restuarant in connection with the rink. - July 1885 - Dayton Hearlad

Logansport Weekly Pharos August 19, 1885 - The lndianapolis Jouraal says that the plans for a hotel of 100 rooms, at Lake Maxinkinkee,have been drawn, and to-day the contract for the building will be let. Ohmer Bro.'s, the owners of a number of railroad restaurants, have leased the hotel for five years, which Is to be erected by Al Toner.

1885 - Jul 25 - Thursday 0 there arrived on of the largest excursions ever known at Maxinkuckee. There were seventeen well filled coaches. Mrs. Newberg, of the Ohmer House ded the hungry and the thirsty all day long...

1885 - aug 27 Argos reflector Improvements at Maxinkuckee
    Indianapolis Journal: This season has been the most successful in the history of Lake Maxinkuckee as a summer resort for the weary Indianapolitan, who most numerously inhabits its beautiful shores during the heated term, and arrangements are already under way to add to its accommodations and attractions for next year.

    Ohmar Bros, the famous railroad caterers have already opened one of their restaurants in a a building at Marmont, which also includes under its roof a skating rink, and their intent is to erect a number of cottages in a grove near by and immediately bordering on the lake, for rent....

Logansport Chronicle November 21, 1885 - Mr. Charles Newburg, the genial manager of Ohmer Bros., lunch room and stating rink, at Lake Maxenkuckee, was in the city a few hours today, on his way to Lafayette.

It is rumored that the restaurant and skating rink at the station is to be converted into a hotel - Logansport Journal May 15, 1886

The Restaurant at the station is being remodeled and greatly improved. - Logansport Pharos pg. 3 21 May 1886
,br> The railroad restaurant is being converted into hotel to be called the "Ohmer Hotel," It will contain 25 rooms - 12 Jun 1886 Logansport Pharos Tribune

The new hotel built by the Ohmers at Maxinkuckee, which was opened recently, is patronized by a number of Indianapolis people, and fills a long fel twant. AUg 4 1996 - Indianapolis News.

...The hotels are open...Ohmer's opens next week... pg. 4 20 May 1887 Logansport Pharos

1887 - Sep 9 - Mrs. Orner, who has successfull,managed the Ohmer hotel the past season, left for her home in Indianapolis Wednesday

' Logansport Chronicle March 3, 1888 - John Branz, of Terre Haute, bought the Ohmer house at Maxinkuckee

Ohmer, Nicholas (Mortgagor ) Ohmer, George (Mortgagee) on 16 Apr. 1888 for the amount of 15,500.00 for an Und. int in Oliver [sic] Hotel, Marmont

Ohmer's rink and the Ohmer House is mentioned on 24 Jul 1887 in the Logansport Pharos

1890 May 12 Mrs. Lord has leased the Ohmer hotel and will run it in connection with her private boardiaj. house. -

1890 - May 12 - Some buildings and repairing are in progress. John Martin, of Logansport is putting up a building just west of the Ohmer house to be used as a lucnh room and Saloon. - Logansport Pharos Tribune

Logansport Reporter June 10, 1890 - 0. C. Beaber has completed his new place at Maxinkuckee adjoining the Ohmer house and expects to put in the finest kind of furniture in connection with his liquor saloon. The equipments will be equal to the best in the city.

Logansport Times July 25, 1890 - The Ohmer hotel which is just opposite the depot will receive another story and undergo other improvements before the opening of next season. The Ohmer is now two stories high and when theimprovements are made it will be a very handsome and commodious hotel. The proprietress is Mrs. R. K. Lord, who never does things by halves. Every thing with which this lady has anything to do must be done right or not at all. Her hotel is now thronged with visitors, it being the most accessible from the depot. The other hotels are also kept busy.

Logansport Reporter August 2, 1890 - ...the hospitable board of the Ohmer house kept by Mrs. Capt. Lord...

Logansport Times May 1, 1891 - The Ohmer is being overhauled, raised to two full stories in height, a large and elegant veranda for both stories is being placed over half way around the building, an addition is being built on the rear, together with several other material improvements, which will decidedly change the appearance of the place. The dining room ts being enlarged to accommodate the hungry multitude, and in short, the hotel is being refitted to meet the increasing demands of the public.

1891 - May 8 - The Colonnade
    The Ohmer House, near the Marmont depot at Maxenkuckee lake, has been completely transformed, greatly enlarged and magnificently improved in appearance and was rechristened "The Colonnade ... Logansport Pharos-Tribune

1891 - May 21 - Ater an expenditure of $3,000 the Ohmer house at Marmont has been placed in first class shape and will be open to the public about June 1st. - AArgos Reflector

1891 - May 22 - The Ohmer house at r Lake Maxinkuckee, has been changed to the New Colonade. It has been leased for the season by Mrs. R. K. Lord. - South Bend Tribune

Today is