||Section 16 - 500.90A 1835 Original Survey|
|Section 16 c. 1837 500.90A (North shore town and academy)
1850 - I. N. Morris
Mc Donald states: In 1850, Isaac N. Morris, father of
Capt. Ed Morris, moved to the lake,
locating on the north shore, on the farm now owned by
A. N. Bogardus, His land ran down to the lake, taking in all the lake front from the Lake View Hotel grounds to
and including the Palmer house.
||1872 - Section. 16
Est. of I N Morris 105 A ( also 80 A)
J. Duddleson - 30.60A & 10A
T. Houghton 90A.
J. HOughton Acreage not stated
J ___ name illegible 4A
G. A. Durr 10A
Lot no name no acreage stated
G. A. Durr 5A? - res (Lot 2 3A & 3A)
Dr. Durr No amount Stated lots as if to be 2 large
L D W [Lorenzo W. Wiseman]
The Palmer house was built in 1875 by
J. W. Palmer
|1876 - J. Castleman - 190A
1876 Section 16
||1880 North Section 16 - 500.90 Acres Town
I N Morris 185.34
B. W. Watt 15.50A
LakeView Club 15A
J Duddleson 109.31A
Tho. Houghton 90A.
J. E. Houghton 19.60A
E Parker 27 A
From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the
to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few
easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and
pushed to completion.
Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee),
and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the
conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished
free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is
from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A
consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee
appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the
1883 - Oct 6 - The. Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d
ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee
lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos
|1898 - Section 16
L. C. Dillion - 10A, 99.31A, 79.76, 75.60A
T. Houghton 89A
E. Duddle(son) 9.60A
E. Morris 21.49A/Morris Lake Front Plat
T. H. & L RRR Lake View Club 15 A.
J. J. Bryant
Incorporated Limits of Culver
||1900 - Evermans' Biological Survey|
The hotel changed names over the years:
The Palmer house was built in 1875 by J. W. Palmer of Plymouth.
1875 - June 1928 - Palmer House (privately owned)
From - MARSHALL COUNTY. by By W. H. Thompson and S. E. Lee, assistant geologists.
East of the Plymouth House is the Palmer House, a fine new hotel, with an excellent well
forty-five feet deep, the top of tbe pipe being fifteen feet above"The surface of the lake.
The stream is one of two inches, and when confined to three-quarters of an inch, will rise
to a hight of fourteen feet above the pipe. When this well was bored the water spouted
twenty-seven feet high, flowing much blue clay and sand and often choking up. The first
stratum of sand was struck in this well at a depth of twenty feet, the bore showing yellow
clay to that depth. Below the sand a stratum of blue clay about fifteen feet thick was passed
through, and the bore ended, at a depth of forty-five feet, in sand
June 1928-1931 - Palmer House (Culver Family and/orAcademy)
1931-1932 - Palmer House - Culver Hotel Operating Company
1932 -March 1954 -
Maxinkuckee Inn - Culver Reality and Investment Company
March 1954-1989/90 - Culver Inn
From reading between the lines - I think there was hope of having a "grand hotel" in the same l
ocation or near the former Lake View Hotel site.
1894 - Apr 13 - Mr. John W. Palmer, proprietor of the Palmer House, is overhauling
and remodeling his establishment from cellar to garret, and it is safe to say that,
when finished, it will be one of the most complete and commodious hotieries in this
part of the state. A large addition has been made to the west end which has been
partitioned off into elegant sleeping rooms. The sitting room has been enlarged and
now has a seating capacity of 100. Tne parlor has been enlarged to double its former
capacity, while the rooms throughout the building are being replastered, painted and
papered. The veranada fronting on the lake is 150 feet ia length, and the view in every
direction is the finest on the lake. The grounds are to be leveled and resoded,the
flowing wells repaired and put in running condition, and in fact the entire premises put
in apple pie order. Mr. Palmer intends to give the management this year his personal attention.
1n May of 1896 it was re-painted and the interior was remodeled. In May 1897
he sold it to Frank Lampson.
1896 - Nov. 13 - The Palmer House has closed for the season, and Mr. Palmer
and his amiable wife have returned to their home in Chicago.
1897 - June 11 - Frank Lampson will soon commence the erection of a horse barn
upon the Palmer House grounds. He will have it so arranged that he can accomodate
his friends who visit him from Argos, Plymouth and other places, by taking proper
care of their horses
|Location of the hotel in 1898
||1898 - Mar 25 - The Palmer House will be opened and
ready for business upon Easter day|
In 1898 & 1908 it was listed as the same with F. D. Lampson prop.
1899 - May 5 - The Parmer House is receiving a thorough repairing this spring by the way of
improvements. A new stone foundation isbeiug placed under the same, it will be newly painted,
papered and several new closets will be built. Frank Lamson, the famous laudlord, is bound to
keep pace with the times
1900 - Apr. 20 Frank Lamson
the amiable proprietor of Palmer House has erected a handsome 12 foot wide porch in front of this
famous hostelery The house is also lightedbu gas, which is a great improvement - Culver
1900 - May 18 - The Palmer House has been thoroughly cleaned and overha uled this spring,
the rooms being newly papered throughout by Garn bros., the reception and dining room
being specially papered in a beautiful and artistic manner. the rooms have all been carpeted,
and everything done to make it desirable headquarters for the bon ton society that visit the lake.
Aside from the interior improvements, the porch has been been widened, and with the house
newly painted, makes the Plamer up to date, and rank a one of the best hosteleries in Northern
Indiana. - Culver herald
1903 - Feb 26 - The Palmer House will be closed March1st
Mr. Lamson will at once
make preparations to remodel the same. He will raise the house 18 inches higher, build a new
and comodious kitchen and other wise improve the interior. When his plans are completed,
Frank will have one of the best hotels in northern Indiana.
1903 Apr 16 - Joseph M. Bergman and his friend John W. Blue of Peru, were Culver
visitors Tuesday and Wednesday. These gentlemen were here on a buisness trip and
were highly pleased with Lake Maxinkuckee and surroundings, and it is rumored that
one of the gentlemen took an option on the Palmer House and if the deal is made he
will make it one of the largest and most attractive hotels in northern Indiana, in
fact will make it one of the most modern hotels in the state. Mr. Bergman is connected
with one of the largest traction companies iu the state, and was here in view of
running an electric line to the lake. He is satisfied that such aline is a foregone
conclusion, and the first line here will reap the benefit of great patronage
1903 - Jun 25 - Frank Lamson is building a 10x2-4 pavillion between the New
and Hertz cottages. He will put in a full line of confectionary, tobaccoes,
1903 - NOv. 26 - Arthur Moris is clerk at the Palmery house this week
1904 - Feb 2 - Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Vories will have the management of the Palmer House
during the spring and summer
1904 - Apr 14 - AN ENJOYABLE EVENING. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Lamson entertained about
forty friends at .the Hidden Inn last Wednesday evening. In cinch the first prizes were awarded
to Mrs. Henry Speyer and Mr. W. H. Porter and the consolation prizes to Miss Maude
Koontz and Mr. Arthur Morris A delicious lunch was served afier which the party indulged In
dancing during remainder of the evening.
1904 - May 5 - C. L. Dwinnell, Bert M. Johnson, A. C. Kohne, Fred Shepard, Admiral Julius
Walk, J. S. Bieler, Charles Kiefer, Otto Ginz, David E. Winkler, Wm. F. Burdman aud Otto
Hoffman, of Indianapolis, all members of the well known Hilarity Chib, arrived at the Lake l
ast week, to fish. They are guests at the Hidden Inn.
|1904 - May 5 - Frank Lamson Buys The Ross House at Plymouth. Frank Lamson,
proprietor of the Hidden Inn (Palmer House,)
has purchased the Ross House at Plymouth and took possession last Thursday.
Frank ran the Ross House at different times before purchasing the Hidden Inn and is an old hand at the
business. Mrs. Lamson, with the assistance of Harvey Steele, will run the Ross House while Mr. - Lamson
keeps control of the Hidden Inn
In the 1905 Directory for Culver (title etc. unknown) - is listed:
Palmer House N. side near Academy Rate $2, $2.50 Both Phones
F. D. Lamson, Prop.
1905 - Feb. 2 - Mrs. and Mrs. Daniel Vories are installed at the Palmer House and will
have charge of that popular hostelry for the spring and summer.
There is no description of the Palmer Hotel area on the 1906
Sanbron Fire Maps for Culver .
1907 - Dec 12 - Fred Thompson has been constructing a two story laundry building for the
||1908 - The Palmer house |
1909 May 20 - Sale Of Palmer House
In all probability John Walter, travelling man for
an Indianapolos sporting goods house, will take possesion of the Palmer House as
proprietor and landlord on July 1.
The deal has not been consumated, by a cash forfeit on the purchase price (said to
be $15,500) has been made.
This is said to be reasonable price for the property as the land, for lot purposes
is alone worth over $10,000.
Frank Lamson has owned the house since 1897, and has managed by by himself and wife,
and Mr. and Mrs. Fred Cole it has been a popular and profitable house of entertainment
for the hundreds who have come to the lake and to the academy all the year around
1909 - Jul 1 - John P. Walter of Indianapolis took charge of the Plmer House last Monday as
proprietor. Mr. Lamson introduced him to a number of hout business men how found him a
gentleman of pleasing manners who will surely prove poplular wiht the large number of
people who come to the lake and academy at all times of the year
|| Said to be about 1910|
1910 - Mar 24 - The Palmer House is being repainted white with gray trimmings.
1910 The Roost Sold - Landlord Walter of the Palmer House has bought the Roost,
E. R. Culver's
, and will move it onto his own premises where it will be used to provided
additional accomodations for his hotel business. Mr. Culver will this fall erect a new
cottage on the site of the Roost. Not this was to the east of the Palmer house this
area from the "Indian trails" on the west to the "original academy campus" I dubed the
as all but the Palmer House was either moved or razed by 1961.
1911 - MAr 23 - Palmer House Improvements
The Palmer Hous has been undergoing a general
renvations which puts it in splinded shape for the comfort of its guests during the bucy summer
The chambers have been redecorated and supplied with new carpets and some new furniture,
and the dinins room is attractively done over in white, together with new window shades,
drape curtains and leather dottom chaairs.
The "ROost" (the former Culver Cottage) Has bee made an annex to thehotel. It supplies
fice additional bedrooms, and a cosy lobby for social uses. All of the rooms in the annex hace
been redecorated, the woodwork refinisher and new furniture supplied throughout.
Landlord John P. Walter ecidently is leaving no stone unturned in his pplan of making the Palmer
HOuse popular with the patrons of the academy.
1911 - May 18 - Fred Thompson has just finished a dandy little store building, 17x25 for the
Plamer HOuse. It takes the place of the old candy shop, and is located at the entrance of the
1911 - Sep 7 - During the winter Mrs. Wainright will he her to decorate the lobby of the
Palmer house, which is to have a steell ceiling
1911 - Sep 21 - Landlord Walter is having a lot of cement walk laif on the Palmer house
frounds. A new refrigerator system has also been added to the hotel.
|1913 - David C. Braden moved out of the South Barrack with "his goods"
as evidence by this ad into a room at the Plamer house. It reads:
Announcement - Owing to the fact that the Academy has the largest enrollemnt in its
history it was necessary for them to have the room I occupied in the basement of the
South Barrack, so I shall in the future display my goods at the Palmer house, where I
shall be pleased to have you call at times that will not conflict with the regulations of
I am making arrangements to visit Culver very soon and trust that those who may want
citizen clothes made to oder for delivery in time for the christmas vacation will hold their
order until the have seen my line
David C. Braden
Lemcke Annex Tailor
1913 - May 8 - Vaulable Improvemt
John P Walter of the Palmer os addomg a needed and important improvement to his hotel facilities
in the erection of a garage which will accommodate 19 machines
The main part of the building, which is being constructed of cement blocks, is 50x33, two
stories, with a basement 33x14.
Attached to the rear is to be a fram building, 76x22, for the stoarafe of automobiles.
The 50 foot front of the block structire will be entirely open so that a car can be driven
straight into a stall from the street. The second story will be fitted up as chauffeurs' quarters.
It will contains seven bedrooms and a sitting room and will be supplied with modern conveniences.
The cellar will be used for the storage of vegetables and supplies in larfe quanities for winter use.
The improvement will coast about $4,200 exculsive of furnishing.
1914 - Feb. 21 - Vedette - The Passing of the Shack - It is gone! The time honored and much
abused O.d's shack has been taken down entirely obliterated. All that remains are the memoires
of days gone by and a few scars on the wall. the shack could of told man storied on which Culver
history is founded. So might the permit board, well-worn by the sands of time assisted by the ever
jacknife in the hands of industrious orderlies who are now making the same deep cuts in the
business would as the ded on the old permit board. It is alas! with the rest of the shack, hos gone
to join the ranks of the great "has beens".
1914 - 9 April Culver citizen - John P. Plamer of the Palmer House is having
quarters built for the help. the 20 b x 31 buildinge will contain a 12 bed dormitory
and a sitting room.
1914 Jul 16 - - Frank Lameon is having the old candy shop of the Palmer
House remodeled into an 8 or 9 room cottage. The ebop haa been
moved back to be fitted up as a kitchen, and Al Keen is building a
large addition to supply the living and sleeping rooms.
1914 Dec. 3 - The Palmer House is about to substitute electricity for gas. A Plymouth
electrician has the wiring contract
1914 - December 10 -The Palmer House has put a five-passenger limousine car into
the bus service of the hotel
There is no description of the Palmer Hotel area on the 1914 Sanborn Fire Maps for
1915 - Jun 24 - Lanlord Walter has let the contract to O. W. Stengel of Rochester for
a steam heating plant ot be installed in the Palmer House and the famous "Candy Shop.
|Here is an ad from the "King's Official Route Guide - Section Five
Automobile Routes of Indiana and Southern Indiana" published in 1915.
1916 - Apr 13 - The Palmer House is replacing its liver carys with new Studebakers. A
four and six-culinder have already been bought and another is scheduled to arrive soon.
1916 - May 4 - ELmer Ransdell has taken a postition for the summer int he Plamer House
1916 - Dec 7 - Improvements t Palmer House
Landlord Walter of the Palmer Hose has set out on another campaign of inprovement in that
well managed resort for academy patrons.
He will enlarge the kitchen by taking some space off the end of the dining room and the lattter
will be expanded by adding 16 feet to the east side.
The entire didning room will be ifnished in hardwood paneling, and a new floor of mineral
composition will be laid.
1918 - Sep 11 - CHange at Palmer House
The academy has rented the Palmer house for the winter seeson as a barrack for 42
additional cadets admitted from the witing list who will form a replacement contingent
to fill the probable vacanies caused by the draft. The "Roost" will also be used for the
same purpose, accommodating sixx cadets. Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Walter will reserve
apartments in the hotel for their own use.
1918 - Nov 20 - The Palmer HOuse has replaces its three livery cars with three new
studebakers and has added a one-ton Studebaker truck for the handiling of bagage.
1919 Feb 19 - J. P. Walter will start work on a 22X40 addition to the Palmer House
candy shack which will double its present capacity and will also afford facilities for dancing
||By 1922 it had an annex building to the back of it, by the 1922 plat map.
In 1922 it was listed as the same but with J. P. Walter Prop. & in the 1922
Marshall County Plat book also and Jno. P. Walter, prop. And its location
for 1922 and shows the annex |
It had twenty-two rooms and only two baths on the second floor. The main floor had a
card room, dining room and kitchen.
1922 april 26 New Hotel Firm
Taking effect on Moday last the Palmer House passed from the propriertorship
of John P. Walter to the jint proprietorshio of Walter & Shorb., Mr. C. A.
Shorb acquiring a half-interest
Mr. Shorb has successfully operated the Lake View for a number of seasons, and
has been the popular manager of the well known Hays House in Warsaw for several
years. He is known as one of the best hotel men in the state and his association
with Mr. Walter will add to the strenghth of an institution which has justly become
one of the strong assests of Lake Maxinkuckee.
Mr. Walter will retain an active interest in the management of the Palmer House,
but he will avail himself og the long desired opportounity to take life a little
easier for a time.
The citizen wishies all manner of prosperity and stisfaction to the new firm.
we are sure that the public will be better cared for than ever at this well
conducted home for visitors.
1922 May 31 The Palmer House has purchased the Ed Morris boat livery.
It is said that " Mont" Monton H. Foss built boats for Mr. Shorb who operated the
Palmer House and rented the boats to the patrons.
1923 - Apr 26 - Modernizing Palmer House - Landlord Joh P. Walrter has let the
contract to a Knox firm for extending the plumbing of the Palmer HOuse
throughout the main structure, the Annex havin been similarly improved last year.
Each of the 21 rooms will be supplied with hot and cold water. The work will be
completed by June 1
1923 - Jul 11 -- Improve Palmer House
Proprietor J. P. Walters Spends $3,000 in Equipment
Many improvements have been made to the Palmer House just recently.
About three thousand dollars have been spent in repairing and remodeling work.
A new water system has been installed and now each room in the hotel is furnished
with hot and cold running water
It has been Proprietor J. P. Walter's ambition to make the hotel the best in the lake
region. He wshes to give his patrons every concenience that can possibly be had and
the new water system is one of the many thigs that he was planned to do.
To accomplish the task of installing the water system, it was necessary for Mr. Walters
to oinstall two new automatic pumps. Each pump can pump 2800 gallsons of water per
hout and with the combination work or both of the pumps, he is well protected from
It has always been my idea to prevent fire rather than to fight the fire after it comes, said
Mr. Walters when telling of his new equipment. That is one of the reasons that I have gone
to the expense of gettign such good pumpos. With these pumps, I can well take care of a small
fire myself. It is be a large fire, I can help hold it until the fire wagons get here.
Few people here know just how large an establishment Mr. Walters rusn. He has three large
buildings which are used for hotel accommofation for the public. TThen he has three boat houses
which look like a small ship yard and als there is much other equipment which is not
generally knwon about.
1923 - Dec 26 - J. P. Walter Leases The Palmer House
Will Stay In Culver
C. A. Shorb and Sons of Warsaw Have Taken over the Property for Five Years
FInal arrangements for the sale of the funsihings, equipment of hotel, varage and boat
houses together with the lease of the hotel property of the Palmer House for five years
was completed Saturday when and agreement was reached btween J. P. Walter and C. A.
Shorb and sons. The SHords are taking over the property immediately.
Not new in Game
Mr. SHord is not a new man in the hotel game nor is he unfamiliary with the local hotel
conditions. He has been in the hotel business for many years and owns at the present time a
hotel in Marysville, Ohio.
At one time some years ago, he was a leasee of he Lake CView property and conducted ir
successfully. The sons are twins and are young being about twenty two or three years of age.
Mr. Walter decided to lease the property and get out of the active business becaise of the
strain. He decided that he would take a much needed rest. He will remain in the Culver
community but has made no definite arrangements for the future. He may possibly
become actinve in the State Exchange Bank of which he is vice-president.
Came here in 1909
Mr. Walter came to Culver in 1909 and purchased the Palmer HOuse from Frank A. Lamson.
At that time the hotel ewas composed of only one building with twenty-eight rooms capacity.
The equipment was of the old style; each room lighted by a lamp; was heated b y small
stoves; and no modern conceniences.
Through hard work and careful manafement, the present Palmer HOuse was made possible.
Today the hotel is equipped with everything that is possible considering the physical
conditions which surround the hotel.
The rooms are all modernly equipped running hot and cold water, steam heat, and bath
accomodations. Scarecely anything of the old hotel remains today. The old structure has all
been rebuilt and re-equipped.
The new manafement will continues to do business of the present basis.
They will receive the good will and good hope for success by the entire community.
|On the 1924 Sanborn Fire Maps is found the surrounding area of
the Palmer Hotel and the buildings that it consisted of
In relation to its location the to Jungle and Lakeview Hotel can be found
||In 1927 while still under the name Palmer House David Braden, who was manager of the
Academy tailor shop, was allowed to open a private business within the tailor shop
this was called - "The Toggery Shop', and was located on the first floor.|
Braden, a member of the Class of 1896; being a master merchandiser he specialized
high-end clothing and accessories. He was also a member of the 158th
Regiiment Indiana Volunteers Company A he was a Sergeant Major enrolling on April 26,
1898 and was mustered out on Nov. 4, 1898.
After the Culver s attained the Palmer House, Braden remained in the building when it
became the Maxinkuckee Inn re-naming the shop - " The Tavern Shop" and remained
in business till the early 1930's. His policy of liberal credit to the cadets and sending the bills
home to dad began to cause trouble for the Palmer House. and the Culver s ended his
operation and the Shack moved into this area.
|It also had and area called the " Shack" . Mention of the Shack"
is as early as 15 Oct 1924. In an ad in the Culver Citizen wanting help.
At some point during the late 1920's the management boasted of 22 steam-heated
sleeping rooms, all with hot and cold running water. There were two ladies bathrooms
that had three tubs, one shower, and four toilets. Gentlemen were served by two
bathrooms which had three toilets and two tubs. The price was right: Doubles were
$ 8 per day, $49 for the week, meals included.
1927 - July 13 - John Palmer, original owner and founder of The Palmer House (now
The Culver Inn), dropped dead in Bell, Calif., on July 4.
In June 1928 [another has the year as 1929 and yet another as late as 1932] it was sold to
E. R. and B. B. Culver ; this included the garage, the help quarters, 252 feet
of lake front and boat houses. This article has been found to confirm the date:
LAKE MAXINKUCKEE WILL HAVE NEW SUMMER HOTEL
A transaction was completed last Saturday whereby E. R. Culver and B. B. Culver purchased
the buildings and property known as the Palmer House of J. P. Walter. The Culver s then
announced that they would erect a new and modern hotel that would equal any resort
hotel in Indiana. It is estimated unofficially that this will require an expenditure of between
a quarter to half a million dollars.
The transaction is not that of the Culver Military Academy but is a private investment of
E. R. and B. B. Culver . These men feel that Lake Maxinkuckee should have hotel
accommodations that are in keeping with the beauty of the lake and would attract the
desirable class for which this lake is noted. While no definite plans have been announced
for the new structure, it is safe to assume that no expense will be spared to make it known
thru out the United States and make Lake Maxinkuckee a mecca for resorters and
Start Next Spring
No improvement will be started until next spring as C. A. Shorb and Son have a lease that
will not expire until the end of the year. Then it will be necessary to wait for suitable
weather. It is probable that it will take a year to eighteen months to complete the structure.
The deal Saturday night included 252 feet of lake front, and land where the garage help
quarters, and boat houses are located.
This announcement is regarded as the most important and significant to the Culver c
ommunity since the school was founded. It makes a host of other meetings, which officers
desire to hold them out of noise and confusion of a large city. The possibilities thus opened
The building of this structure will aid the smaller and less expensive hotels at Culver also
as more people will be attracted to the lake and will seek places with lower rates than
the new hotel will charge.
It will probably be some time before plans for the new building are completed as Messrs
Culver intend to visit the leading hostelries and vacation centers of the nation and
profit by their examples. And in the meantime it can be assured that the building and
grounds will be constructed in the typical complete and thoro manner of the Culver
family, which markes [marks] all their undertakings. - The News-Sentinel, Saturday,
June 20, 1928
1928 - Jun 27 - Modern Lake Hotel To Be Built
Palmer House and Land Sold to E. R Culver and B. B. Culver
J. P. WAlter Relinguishes Title; Lease Expires at End of Year.
WIll Be Equall to ANy Resort In Indiana
Tranaction NOt Connected With Business Affairs of Culver Miltiary Academybr>
A transaction was completed last Saturday night where by E R. Culver and B. B. Culver
purchased the buildings and property known as the Palmer HOuse of J. P. Walter.
The Culvers then announced Monday morning that they would erect a new and modern
hotel that would equal any resot hotel in Indiana. It is estimated unofficially that this will
requite an expenditure of between a quarter to hald a million doallars.
The transaction is not that of the Culver Military academy, hit is a private investment of E. R.
and B. B. Culver.
These men feel that Lake Maxinkuckee should have hotel accomodations that are in keeping
with the beauty of the lake would attract the desidable class for owhich this lake is noted.
WHile no difinite plans have been announce for the new structure it is sage to assume that
no expense will be spared to make it known throughout the Untied States. and make Lake
Maxinkuckee a mecca for resorters and vacationists.
No improvement will be started until nex spring as C. A Shorb and Sons have a lease that
will not expire until the end of the year. Then it will be necessary to wait for suitable
weather. It is probably that it will take a year to eighteen months to complete the
The deal Saturday night included 252 feet of lake front, and the land where the
farage, hel quarters and boat houses are located.
This announcement is regarded as the most important and significant to this community
since the school was founded.
It makes possible for national concentions to come here as well as a host of other meetings,
whose officers desire to hold them out of the noise and confusion of a large city. The
[ossiblitied thus opened are unlimited.
The building of this stuctue will aid the smaller and less expensive hotels here
also as more people will be attracted to the lake and will seek places with lower
rates than the new hotel will charge.
It will probably be some time before plans for the new building are completed as
Messrs. Culver intend to visit the leading hostelries and vacation centers of the nation
and profit by their examples.
And in the meantine it can be assured that the building and grounds will be
constructed in the typically complete and torough manner of the Culver family,
which marks all their undertakings. - Citizen
1929 - Dec 11 - Injunction
filed on purchase of properties
PALMER HOUSE SOLD
The Palmer Hotel, one of the landmarks of Lake Maxinkuckee, after January 1, 1931,
when the present lease expires will be taken over by the Culver Hotel Operating
There will be no structural changes but the rooms will be made more comfortable.-
The News-Sentinel, Monday, December 1, 1930
3 Dec. 1930 - John E. Folger, former assistance manager of the Palmer House in
Chicago. will be the new manager of the Palmer house here after Jan. 1. C. A.
Shorp and sons who have been the managers, have not announced their plans
for the future.
30 Dec. 1930 - Culver Citizen - Palmer House Will Change Management First of New
After January 1, when the present lease runs out, the control of the Palmer House
will be taken over by the Culver Hotel Operating Company. The rooms will be
outfitted with new beds, the toilet facilities will be increased, and the building will
be put in as good condition as possible in spite of its age. There will be no structural
changes in either the hotel or the " Shack" . The improvements will be of a type
that will make the temporary hotel more comfortable and enjoyable to its guests.
The P. H. " Shack" will specialize in home cooking and consequently will furnish a
more varied menu.
1931 - Jan 14 - Culver Citizen - Palmer house Undergoes Redecorating Refurnishing -
The Palmer House " Shack" which has been remodeled during the holidays, will be
reopened in the early part of the coming week. The floor space has been enlarged by
extensions on the side and rear and the entire room has been redecorated. The
old equipment has been replaced by new tables and chairs, a new fountain and new
The dining room in the hotel is equipped with new tables and chairs and presents
a much neater appearance.
The bedrooms have all been redecorated and new beds and springs have been installed.
The Palmer House contrary to popular opinion is not owned by the academy, but is
leased to and operated by a separate company under the direction of Mr. John Fogler.
John R. Fogler will be manager of the Palmer House. Mr. Fogler was assistant manager
of the Palmer House in Chicago before coming to Culver .
C. A. Shorb & Sons, present managers of the Palmer House, have not announced their
plans for the future.
1931 - May 13 - Building of Hotel Indefinitely Postponed
The Culver Managing Company has announced that the date of construction of the new
hotil on the site now occupied by the E. R. Culver cottage has been postponed.
The original plan was to start building as soon as the weather became favorable this spring,
but p;ans have been indefinitely postponed - The Vedette.
1931 - J. R. Folger Leaves to Accept Waldorf Position
John R FOlger, manafer of the Palmer House here for the past year has resigned to accept
the pposition of an assistant manager of the ne Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York City
He came to Culver from the Pa lmer House in Chicaho where he was assistant Manager.
Previous to that he had a wide experience with the Statler Hotels company.
Mr. Folger left today to take up his new work at the internationally famous Waldorf-Astoria.
Frank S. Murphy, of Chicago has teken over the duties of manafer of the Palmer
1932 _ Feb 17 - Small FIre At Palmer - Hose Annex Saturay - The fire department was called to
the Palmer HOuse Annex Saturday afternoon when sparks ignited the wooden shingles on the
roof. However, the fire had been extingusihed before the truck arrived and only a small hole was
burned in the roof.
1932 - The March 16th issue of the Culver Citizen announces that the Plamer
Boat House was destroyed by fire and that damages are estaimated to be or exceed $2,700.
1932 - Nov. 30 - After being known as the Palmer House for 57 years, the well known hotel
near the Academy is having its name changed to "Maxinkuckee Inn" in conformity with a
change in management and policy.
In 1932 it was sold to the Culver Reality and Investment Company. At this time it consisted
of: dinning and card rooms, a kitchen, twenty-two bedrooms and two baths.
During this time - 1932 - Frank S. Murphy was manager of the Palmer House.
|Also in 1932/33 The
Jungle Hotel was under the management of the Palmer House. Here is an ad that
appeared during this time period.
Views from the kae side:
1932 - Culver , Ind., Dec. 1. - After being known as the Palmer House for 57 years, the well
known hotel near the Academy is having its name changed to "Maxinkuckee Inn" in
conformity with a change of management and policy. The change was effective today.
Palmer Housee ~~
Maxinkuxkee Inn ~~
Culver Inn ~~