Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

East side of Main Street  



I wrote this up for Jeff Kenney for the library site - and I have expanded it some since I wrote it originally. I will try and do more with it - Do you remember the businesses of downtown Culver, the years, etc. - Can you expand upon this listing? If so e-mail me -

At least this is a start - Another part of history to be recorded slowly as I work on finishing the lake part up - It will be an ever changing page - why? because of a kids memory of the 1960's - to what it was in the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, 2000's - then you mix in the past and try and re-create - what was - and is now and try to make an accurate record of history for Main Street Culver (an impossible task - maybe?)!

This is just a rough beginning of this listings. With no physical addresses for the early years just the street name it is hardto place them correct - if you remember won't you help?

NOW that is a challenge I present to everyone!

Main St. Dead End to Lakeshore Dr.

(Lakeshore aka Scott Street 1906-abt 1937)

421 N Main St. [VANDALIA ADD OLOT 5 S1/2 EX W 100'] dwelling

406 N Main [OP LOT 19]

104 E. Lakeshore [OP LOT 20 & 21] Odom Funeral Home


1906

1914

1924
1927
>

1927


Lakeshore Dr. to Cass

(Lakeshore aka Scott Street 1906-abt 1937)

103 Lakeshore Dr.

306 Main St. [OP LOT 22 S 7' & OP LOT 23 EX S 7' ]  

302 N Main - [OP LOT 23 S 7' S1/2:HOUGHTON HOUGHTONS CORRECTED & AMENDED PLAT ; OP LOT 24:HOUGHTONS CORRECTED & AMENDED PLAT ]  


1906

1914

1924

1937

Cass Street


220 N. Main [OP LOT 25 EX TR SW COR 33.79' N&S 56' ] - JD ONE JD TWO INC empty lot - empty lot - 

216 N. Main [OP LOT 25:BEG SW COR N 33.79' E PAR S] 

    Vacant 1906, 1914 (as part of lot 220 N. Main)
    residence - 1924-1937 (as part of lot 220 N. Main)
    Lemuel Crabbe's Residence ? 1940 - 1960's - ? 
    Day Care  
    residence  


212 N Main [LOT 26& LOT 27 EX 60' OP] 

    1904 - Spring Millinery
      Spring Millinery Opening. - Spring millinery opening Easter Friday. All the latest shapes and novelties. Patterns of the latest designs. Street hats for ladies misses and children. Cheapest and best ever opened in Culver Mrs. J . W . Quick, first door north of the Citizen Office - March 31 1904

      Grand Spring Millinery Opening Spring Millinery Opening next Friday and Saturday, April 8th and 9th. Latest shapes and styles for ladies, misses and children. Beautiful line of flowers, chiffons and ribbons. Ready-to-wear Hats, noted for quality, finish and value. Each lady caller receives a souvenir. Miss Elnora Zechiel, Opposite Postoffice, Culver - Apr 7 1904

      Mrs. E. R Lord has returned from Chicago with a full stock of millinery. She will have her opening display on April 12, l3 and 14. The public is cordially invited to call and examine the stock. Prices to suit everybody. An experienced milliner will be in charge. Next door to Citizen office. - 1905 - April 6


    private residence 1906-1937

    Multi use
      Feb 7 1940 - Clark D. Bogardus has completed the remodeling of his two story house on Main Street into two apartments, each with an individuial entrance


    Multi use 1980's- ?
      Easterday Law Office  
      Larry Davis Licensed Real Estate Appraiser ? 1991, Aug.  
      Day Care & Tutoring  
      Apartment Upstairs  
      2018 Feb. - Trefren Accounting Services - Amy Trefren
        Was using space at the Culver Coffee Company on Lakeshore Drive... also maintains an office in Hotchkiss Colorado making monthly trips back; moved to Culver 2 years ago.


202 N. Main - [OP LOT 27 S 60' ]- Family Vision Clinic


1906

1914

1924

1937

Washington Street

The area between Washington and Jefferson during the late 1800's was refferd to as the "Cromley block"

This photo depicts the Menser building probably just a short while after it was built in 1903.


This picture picture shows the Menser building, J's & J's Dime Store, the Masonic sign over the entrance to the upstairs (where the K of P hall was and later the Culver Lions Club, doctor offices); Kelly Shop and Verl the Barber (the building was the first K of P building and the became Easterday's Funeral Home ). Also one must remember during the late 1870', 1880' 1890's and into the early 1900's into probably the Wworld War years many of the business owner's lived above their stores in the apartments.


116 Main - [OP LOT 28 EX S 20' & EX TR 26'E&W 41] Menser Building Miller
    Norcen Insurance Agency / Lake Maxinkuckee Enviormental Council - 2000's

114 N. Main - [20' LOT 28 OP & N4" LOT 29 OP ] - Michelle's Headquarters  

Shows the store front to J's & J'se 5 & 10 and the entrance to the upstairs of the K of P building to the masonic hall.


Starting on the left this picture shows part of the K of P building, which housed the Kelly Shop when it was taken; next was Verl the Barber; Back Door boutique; Kline’s the Marathon Station; and part of the Wickizer Building that housed the Culver news Agency.


K of P Building Building; 110 & 112 N. Main

110 N. Main- [OP LOT 29:PRT LOT 29 BEG 4 S NW COR EX] after about 1990


108 N. Main - [COM SW COR LOT 29 OP TH N 25.66' E25] - -

104 N. Main [OP LOT 30 EX W 15] JD-ONE JD-TWO INC Empty lot  

    The Farmers Market was held here until it was moved to the northwest corner of W. Jefferson & Ohio St.


Culver downtown 1968, this was taken during Art fishburns 'last ride' on the fire truck. In the lower right hand corner is Kline's and the telephone booth that sat on the corner; the lower left is the State Exchange Bank and in the upper left at the corner of Main & Washington is the Standard 'full service' gas station


Starting at the right - would be the Cafe (Klines) Rectors (McKinnis & both became Klines); Gretters; the next building is the first K of P building (which became Easterday's Funeral Home and then Verl the Barber); which house over the years the Loins Club, doctor offices, A & P, the Kelly Shop); the next stood empty for years which became the dime store; and the Menser building; the building under the tree is where and old faternal lodge stood it housed the Culver Citizem, the kindergarden and was razed and a gas station and tires service replaced it which later was remodeled and housed several businessess among which was the Sit n Stitch, The Entertainer and today the family Vison is today


Culver Post office (Byrd electrical Shop and the next building was the Easterday Funeral Home and Furniture Store (these to buildinges were razed and was replaced with the new K of P building; the next 3 buildings as mentioned above and crossing Jefferson is the General store building that became the Maration; the Wickizer building; an unknown build which became the Amond Building; an empty lot and the hardware and the house at 202 S. Main that was Werner's Jewler. To the right you see the bank, the Morris Boarding House which became a gas station and then Hertiage Park followed by the Osborn Block.


The southeast side of Main Street as pictured in 1924 is the General store building that became the Maration; the Wickizer building; an unknown build which became the Amond Building; an empty lot and the hardware and the house at 202 S. Main that was Werner's Jewler.


1960 - Jul 27 - AT 12:50 P.M. LAST FRIDAY a traffic signal light was placed in operation at the busy Sank corner intersection of Main and Jefferson Streets in downtown Culver. There was much excitement as scores of motorists innocently ignoring the new warning received a friendly word of caution from police officers Don Mikesell and Jim Cox. A crew from the Northern Indiana Public Service Company is seen placing the signal light in position. (Photo by Carl Adams Jr



1906

1914

1924

1937

Jefferson Street

102 S Main - [OP LOT 31]- Culver Military Academy Museum & Gift Shop 2 Oct 2009-, Jeff Kenney curator


108 Main - [OP LOT 32 N 39' SWLY 3' ESMT] - Wickizer's Building


pictured from the left is the Collectors and Mary's Shop in the Amond building; and the building that housed Culver Insurance, Culver citizen & Thomas Realty during the 1980's.


112 S. Main (110 & 112 S. Main) [OP LOT 32 S27 & N3 OF S 30 / S27' OF LOT 32 HOUGHTONS CIRR & AMENDED PLOT KNOW AS OP] - Amond Building

114 S. Main [OP LOT 33 EX STRIP ALG S SD / LOT 33 HOUGHTON'S CORRECTED AND AMENDED PLAT EXECEPT ] The Collector's & Bear Ends Shop now

120 Main - [OP L33 HOUGHTON'S COR AMND SW COR L33] - ?? - Robert Hollender
    E. Madison Street , this is a part of 120 S. Main now used as storage but had also been used for seperate businesses in the past


1906

1914

1934

1937

1919

2017


Madison St.

120 Madison

S. Main

202 S. Main [HOUGHTON COR & AMEND PLAT LOT 34 ] - Lakeside Auto

208 S. Main [OP LOT 35 N1/2 Thos. Houghton's Amended plat]
218 S. Main [OP LOT 35 S1/2] - Culver lodging Realty

232 S. Main [HOUGHTON ADD LOT 36] Main Street Centre / ABCS Properties LLC
    Unknown
    220 S. Main B & M Car Wash 1967-? - Emil 'Bud' Runhow Jr.
      B & M Car Wash - Grand opening Sept 16 & 17, 1967 - Citizen Sep 14, 1967
      JED AIR
      Culver Education Foundation - ?-1995, Apr.
      Robert H. & Judith N Galloway - 1995,apr.-2006, Nov.
      Culver Re investments LLC - 2006,Nov.-Mar 2007
and also lots: 226 s. Main [TR N1/3 NW: 165' E NW COR E ETC] (Old Blackmith Shop) and 232 S. Main [10RD E 27.5' S NW COR S ETC ] dwelling



1914

1924

1937


Marmont St.

- to the north it was Marmont also spelled Mormont and Morment; to the south Wiseman in 1914, 1922, 1924, 1937; sometime after 1937 Wiseman Court was changed to E. Marmont.

306 S MAIN ST [TR COM 165' E 126.5' S NW COR TH E ]dwelling

310 S MAIN ST [N 33' TR JUST E LOT 5 ] dwelling

314 S. Main [10 RD E 225.5' S NW COR E 6RD S 33'] dwelling

    Henry Hinkle - Jack's Taxi - 1952  

      1963 April 24 -; Mr. and Mrs. Tom K. Walker purchase Jack's Taxi business
    dwelling



1914

1924

1937


Clover St.

- 1914, 1924, 1937 listed as Culver; to the south Wilson Ct.; sometime after 1937 the both names were changed to Clover St.

316 S MAIN STS. Main dwelling

334 S Main St

1914

1924

1937

Mill St.

410 S. Plymouth - formerly a buisness or either auxillary railroad depot; and orginal address was Mill St. as the canopy and entrance door faced Mill

E. Mill St. - 1979 - Cherry Villa Artisan - Dorothy C. Barnes


404 S MAIN ST [HAWKINS ADD LOT 6] - built 1910

1910, April 21 - Another New House

    H. F. Fetters, the barber has let the contract for a two story, nine room house, 28X28, to Henry Buckingheister. It will cost upward of $1,600 and will be located on Main Street, opposite the Evangelical Church


Remembered owners of the house were Robert and Louise (Strang) Ott; followed by the Frank Shepherd family




S MAIN ST [HAWKINS ADD LOT 5] - Empty Lot

S MAIN ST [HAWKINS ADD LOT 4] - Empty Lot

422 S MAIN ST [HAWKINS ADD LOT 3] - residential

428 S MAIN ST [HAWKINS ADD LOT 3] - residential


1914

1924

1937

Hawkins Court

- aka Flox 1914, 1924, 1937 and sometime after 1937 was changed to Hawkins court. T's into Main St. on the west, alley on the east

434 S MAIN ST [HAWKINS ADD W 126' LOT 1] residential

440 S MAIN ST [DUDDLESON ADD LOT 28] - residential

450 S MAIN ST [29 DUDDLESON'S ADD & S 1/2 LOT 1] - residential

452 S MAIN ST Lot 2 [DUDDLESON ADD LOT 2] residential


1924

1937

Winfield St.

- T's into Main St. on the east

504 S MAIN ST [E DUDDLESON ADD LOT 3]- residential area  

510 S MAIN ST [DUDDLESON ADD LOT 4] - residential area  

516 S MAIN ST [DUDDLESON ADD LOT 5] - residential area  

522 S MAIN ST [DUDDLESON ADD LOT 6] - residential area  

528 S MAIN ST [DUDDLESON ADD LOT 7] - residential area  

536 S MAIN ST [DUDDLESON ADD LOT 8] - residential area  


1924

1937

Davis St.

- T's into Main St.

604 S MAIN ST [JAMES O FERRIER'S CONT ADD LOT 1] residential area  
    Maxinkuckee Assembly grounds (A part of)
      1905 - Dec 7 - The end came to the Assembly Grounds in Dec. 1905 when J. V. Combs filed suit for foreclosure of a mortgage on the Maxinkuckee Assembly grounds.


    In 1907 is was sold and subdivided into lots becoming Ferriers Addition.

    In early newspapers accounts about street improvements this area is refered to as "Well's Corner".

    1925 - Sept. 2 - House numbers assigned C. E. & Nora Wells

    1930 - Colonel E Wells & Wife Nora owned the house. 1939 - Oct 4 - 2 Incubators, like new C. E. Wells So. Main St. Culver.

    1942 - Feb 25 - All-modern 5 room apartment. C. E. Wells So. Main St. Culver

    1947 - For Sale All modern 10 room house, 2 lots 1 1/2 blocks from lake. Price $7,500. Write C. C. Wells 10th St. Riverside, Calif.

    1949 - Jun 29 - C. Ellsworth Wells and Nora Wells, WD. Delbert Jordan and Jennie E. Jordan h & w Lots 1,2,3 James O Ferrier Con Add - Culver City.
      1954, Jan 27 - Albert Barshes Takes Over Cities Service Station... Mr. and Mrs. Barshes ar living in the apartment in the Deb Jordan home across from the service station, making it handy for night calls....


Joan (Barshes) Evans , she told Don Baker that this property had been a boarding home for men some years ago (probably 1930s and 1940s) and that eggs and ice may have been sold from this address as well

The home was supposely built in 1920, same year as the peach colored house 2 doors to the south.

This house sits at the end of the street between the jogs, of Main St. The one incident regarding it was the night sometime between Jun 1972 & Sep 1980 when one of the local policemen was chasing someone and was at a rate of speed that he was unable to make the jogs. He radioed in that he was at Main & Mill Streets disabled - looking north from the house I seen nothing - and to satisfy david I had to go out into the middle of Main St. in night gown to see where he was - he was sitting on the front porch of this house then owned by Barshes.


S MAIN ST [JAMES O FERRIER'S CONT ADD LOT 2] Vacant Platted lot 

612 S MAIN ST [FERRIERS CONT ADD LOT 3] residential area  

662 S MAIN ST [FERRIERS CONT ADD LOT 4] residential area  

Prado St.

- T's into Main St. on the east


1924

1937


S MAIN ST [FERRIER CON ADD EX 12' SQ NE COR LOT5] Vacant Platted lot 

710 S MAIN ST [Lots 5-6 Ferrriers contd.  

] residential area  

Alley 

712 S MAIN ST [FERRIER ADD LOT 7 ] residential area  

718 S MAIN ST [FERRIER ADD LOT 8] 1958 Culver Bible Church

    1957 - OCTOBER 23, Groundbreaking services were held Sunday afternoon at 718 South Main Street where the Culver Bible Church, with Rev. Maynard G. Tittle as pastor, will begin excavation work next week for their new church, which Will cost about $25,000.

    1958 -October 15 – First services were held last Sunday in the new Bible Church now being constructed on South Main Street.Cost is $27,000.00 and was organized in 1951 by Martin Goble and Joe Boetsma Sr. Pastor was Maynard Tittle Nov. 1952. Oct 1958 ?


Tampa St.

- T's into Main St. on the east

804 S MAIN ST [FERRIERS ADD LOT 9] residential area  

S MAIN ST [FERRIERS ADD LOT 10 ]&Vacant Platted lot 

Lots 9-12 Ferrriers Add 

Akron St.

- T's into Main St.

810 S MAIN ST [FERRIER ADD LOT 11 LEGAL ] residential area  

816 S MAIN [FERRIER ADD LOT 12] residential area  

Batabano

St. - T's into Main St.

908 S MAIN ST [LOT 13 REPLAT OF LOTS 13 & 14 FERRIER'S ADD] residential area  

916 S MAIN ST [FERRIERS ADD LOT 15] residential area  

S MAIN ST [FERRIERS ADD LOT 16 ] Vacant Platted lot 

Wabash St.

- T's into Main St.

121 E WABASH ST [1/2A NW COR LOT 2:NW COR E ETC] residential area  

1000 S MAIN ST [6RD S NW COR LOT 2 E 13.5RD S 9RD W] residential area  

1002 S MAIN ST residential area  

1106 S MAIN ST residential area  

1108 S MAIN ST [1.330A 30RD S NW COR LOT 2 S 16 RD NOPP] - Culver Masonic Cemetery Trustees Of Edward Easterday

S MAIN ST [1.150A SW COR E OF ST RD 17 - Union Twp. trustee / Old Union Twp / Culver Masonic Cemetery


Tammarack & W. Shore Dr.

T's into Main St. T's into Main St. from the south

18710 Tammarack [ W 5.9A S 10A LOT 2 EX SW COR L2 N287']
    Texaco bulk plant - Gordon A. cultice Abstract Index

    Pierson's Corner 1989-1991

      stood empty for many years
    Richard T & Jennifer Luttrell ?-2009, Jun Jared J Johnston 2009, un-2013
      There was an architectural or design company was here for a while; besides ProTree using it as a parking area

      2009, Aug. building was razed




18938 Tamarack Rd. - Jeanette Geiselman

...THANKS for the memories...






Today is