Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

North Side of East Washington Street  



The businesses - listed for Washington will read from East to Main Street and then on West. One could not see the lake unless atop a building as the railroad embankment was at lest 10 to 12 feet high from the Washington Street area down past the co-op; during the late 1970's and early 1980's this area was all leveled off - there also was a cinder street or alley that connected E. Washington and E. Jefferson Streets and ran along the base of this embankment. On the other side of the embankment was an overgrown easement road between the lake and the railroad embankment going south from the viaduct at E. Washington Street.


This is just a rough beginning of this listings. With no addresses in the early years just the street name it is hard to place them correct - if you remember won't you help?

1906 sanborn Map Plymouth Street west on Washington


1906 sanborn Map Plymouth Street East to Lakeview on Washington


1906 lakeview East - Washington did not exist after Lakeview St. as Kruezberger Park took in this area and shows as such also on the 1914 map; the 1924 and 1937 sanborn map shows a partial house on the southeast side of Lakview next to Kruezberger so there is a probabliity that there could of been other houses that wee not depicted on these maps.


1914 sanborn Map Plymouth Street west on Washington


1914 sanborn Map Plymouth Street East to Lakeview on Washington


1924 sanborn Map Plymouth Street west on Washington


1924 sanborn Map Plymouth Street East to Lakeview on Washington


1937 sanborn Map Plymouth Street west on Washington


1937 sanborn Map Plymouth Street East to Lakeview on Washington


Reading from East to west

508 E Washington St.

504 E Washington St.

Coolidge Court

412 E Washington St. [KNAPPS ADD LOT 21 E1/2 & KNAPPS ADD LOT 20 E1/2]

404 E Washington St. [KNAPPS ADD LOT 21 W1/2 & KNAPPS ADD LOT 20 W1/2]

Lakeview St.

Of Interesting note on the sanborn maps are found: the following is found:
    1906 - 309 Lake St. - An Ice House 1914 - 309 Lake St. - R Vacum Cleaner Mf'g Not in operation
    1924 - 309 Lake St. - Dead auto Storage - 7 cars
    1924 - 309 Lake St. - Vac - assumed meaning vacant
      These are vacant lots as KNAPP ADD LOT 5 N 20' LEGAL DESC: N 20' LOT 5 KNAPPS ADD & KNAPP ADD LOT 5 S 40' LEGAL DESC: S 40' LOT 5 KNAPPS ADD ] and is a part of the property of 218 Lake St.
and also on Lakeview street which must of been only one sided during the period of 1906-1914 as both even and odd #'s appear on same side
    1906 - 304 Lakeview St. - bottling works
    1914 - 304 Lakeview St. - i s now a dwelling
      this is possibly today's 215 N Lakeview St. KNAPP ADD LOT 10
      I was told by a neighbor Cleve Crabb who lived at 515 Lakeshore Dr. that the company was located on Lakeview St. and bottles soda. when we found a bottle marked "Geo. R. Howard culver Indiana " under the back or front porch at 416 Lakeshore dr. (if I remmeber correctly )


    1906 - 305 Lakeview - jail
    1914 - 305 Lakeview - is now a dewling
      this is possibly today's 221 N Lakeview St. KNAPP ADD LOT 11


316 E. Washington - [KNAPP ADD LOT 8 , 9]

306 E. Washington [KNAPPS ADD LOT 6 & 6 E1/2]

304 E. Washington [KNAPPS ADD LOT 6 & 7 W1/2]

Lake Street



200 E. Washington    [OP LOT 62 & OP LOT 63 EX TRI IN SE COR] Culver town Hall & Culver Emergenecy Medical Services & Culver Police Departmet


Plymouth Street



__ E. Washington [106 Washington Sanborn Map 1924 ] [OP LOT 46 EX W 45' ]  

  • Vacant - 1906  
  • House Vendor - 1914  
  • Store - 1924  
  • House - 1937  
  • private residence 1960's
  • Methodist Church Thrift Shop early 1970's  
  • Empty/tore down c. 1988 
  • Veterans Of Foreign Wars 6919 Annex  
108 E. Washington [105 E. Washingtom sanborn map 1906-1924] [OP LOT 46 W 45' ] VFW Finney-Shilling Post #6919 1947-  

___ E. Washington Dry Cleaning - 1914 [104 E. Washington - 1906 ]

    In 1906 there is a small building marked 1+ but it is not located in the same positon as the building labeled 'Dry cleaning' on the 1914 sanborn map - which would indicate that it was razed and a new building was built on the corner of the alley and washington Street  


    A new building is indicated on the the corner of the alley and washington Street and was built in between 1906 and 1914 it is labeled 'Dry Cleaning'


    Dry Cleaning - 1914 [104 E. Washington - 1906 ]   in back of 'S' - 1924  
    Solvol building - 1930
      Solvol building - 1930 - March 5, 1930 - - was moved from its foundation bodily when the Cromley transfer company backed its large truck into the center of the structure, constructed braces and moved it out, taking the building as a unit to a new location.


202 Main Family Vision [OP LOT 27 S 60']


Main St.



203 N. Main [OP LOT 10 S 54'] Dairy Barn Express


110 W. Washington [GW GARNS ADD LOT ]

Ohio St.



In 1906 Ohio St. did not exist only from Jefferson south to Mill Street, untill Oct, 20 1923 - when the property owners Edwin c. & Mary Hawk, Ezra E. & Jenne Hwakins; and Walter G & Nettie Fishburn , deeded off enough land to from the steet on down South for the land betweeen Mill street and Daviess Street - this following is found:



210 N Ohio St

210 W Washington St. [GW GARNS ADD W 40' LOT 4]



214 W Washington St [GW GARNS ADD LOT 7 ]

Slate st.



306 W Washington St [GW GARNS ADD LOT 10 ]

318 W Washington St [GW GARNS ADD LOT 12]

N. White St.



404 W Washington [GW GARNS ADD LOT 14 ]

422 W Washington [GW GARNS ADD LOT 17]

N Cylmax St.



504 N Clymax St. [TR S & W SW LOT 17 GARNS ADD N EX]

...THANKS for the memories...






Today is