Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

History of South Side Washington Street  



The businesses - listed for Washington will read from East to Main Street and then on West. One could not see the lake unless atop a building as the railroad embankment was at lest 10 to 12 feet high from the Washington Street area down past the co-op; during the late 1970's and early 1980's this area was all leveled off - there also was a cinder street or alley that connected E. Washington and E. Jefferson Streets and ran along the base of this embankment. On the other side of the embankment was an overgrown easement road between the lake and the railroad embankment going south from the viaduct at E. Washington Street.


This is just a rough beginning of this listings. With no addresses in the early years just the street name it is hard to place them correct - if you remember won't you help?

1906 sanborn Map Plymouth Street west on Washington


1906 sanborn Map Plymouth Street East to Lakeview on Washington


1906 lakeview East - Washington did not exist after Lakeview St. as Kruezberger Park took in this area and shows as such also on the 1914 map; the 1924 and 1937 sanborn map shows a partial house on the southeast side of Lakview next to Kruezberger so there is a probabliity that there could of been other houses that wee not depicted on these maps.


1914 sanborn Map Plymouth Street west on Washington


1914 sanborn Map Plymouth Street East to Lakeview on Washington


1924 sanborn Map Plymouth Street west on Washington


1924 sanborn Map Plymouth Street East to Lakeview on Washington


1937 sanborn Map Plymouth Street west on Washington


1937 sanborn Map Plymouth Street East to Lakeview on Washington


Reading from East to west

411 E. Washignton Street  
    1906-1937  
    2- 3 Dwellings were tore down to make way for the Harbour  
      323 E. Washington corner of Lake St.
        Culver Citizen 4 Oct. 1933 - Dr. E. J. Engle, Chicago University graduate, will open a chiropratic clinic here.
    Harbour Point Condominums     1982/3 - 2009


321 E. Washington [HARRIS ADD LOT 5 W 54']
    Empty Lot 1906,  
    Room & Boarding 1914  
    Dwelling - 1914-1937  


315 E. Washington   [HARRIS ADD LOT 4 ]
303 E. Washington [HARRIS ADD LOT 2 & 3]

As it was when it was known as the 'Little Gallery' 211 E. Washington   and now again is a private residence


203 E. Washington  
    1906 - Dwelling and Private livery barn
    1914 1) dweilling 2) Electrical Supplies 3) Photo Gallery
    1924 2 dwellings
    1937 dwelling


Plymouth Street



115 E. Washington [OP LOT 45 E1/2 & OP LOT 44 E1/2 EX S 50' ]

111 E. Washington [W1/2 LOT 45 THOMAS K HOUGHTONS COR & AMEN PLAT & W1/2 LOT 44 EXCEPT S 30' THOMAS K HOUGHTONS COR & AMEN PLAT ]

105 E. Washington [ OP LOT 28 TR 26'E&W X 41'N&S NE COR] - Ideal Cleaners - Sue & Bernard Busart

116 Main [OP LOT 28 EX S 20' & EX TR 26'E&W 41'] - The Menser Building.


Main St.

109 n. Main St [OP LOT 9 & 1/2 VAC ALLEY ADJ]

1886-1958 - Methodist Church

105 W Washington1958-2002 - NIPSCO / Norcen Insurance

2002- Culver Union Township Public Library


residence -1906 -1958
    1922 was labeled W. S. Easterday

    Bank & library parking lot This or other house on Jefferson St. of bank parking lot was move to corner of Mill & Ohio St. for Bryce Bigley was the Nancy Guess residence in the 1950'; according to George Franzs

Ohio Street



In 1906 Ohio St. did not exist only from Jefferson south to Mill Street, untill Oct, 20 1923 - when the property owners Edwin c. & Mary Hawk, Ezra E. & Jenne Hawkins; and Walter G & Nettie Fishburn , deeded off enough land to from the steet on down South for the land betweeen Mill street and Daviess Street - this following is found:



114 N Ohio

SCHOOL LOT PT 44RD N 11RD W SE COR SE LEGAL DESC: COM AT PT 44 RODS NORTH & 11 RODS WEST OF SE COR OF SEC17 TH SOUTH 6 RODS TH WEST 4 RODS TH N 6 RODS TH EAST 4 RODS TO POB EXCEPT S 12 THEREOF

1906 - Culver Public School
1914 not recorded on the Sanborn Maps.
1922 - Dean E. Walker School lot
1914, 1924, 1937 not recorded on the Sanborn Maps. __ - Private residence


211 W Washington St. [PRT OF LOT 20 GEORGE W GARN'S ADD ]

213 W Washington St. [GW GARNS ADD LOT 20 N99' W72' E138']

215 W Washington [GW GARNS ADD LOT 21 N1/2 E33']



309 W Washington [N 1/2 E 1/2 OF W 121' LOT 21 G W GARNS ADD]

311 W Washington [GW GARNS ADD N1/2 W 60.5' LOT 21 LEGAL ]

315 W Washington [GW GARNS ADD LOT 22 NE1/4]

317 W Washington [GARNS ADD NW1/4 LOT 22]

321 W Washington [NW COR LOT 22 GARNS ADD W105' S99' E]

_ W Washington [410 w. Jefferson] [105'W SW COR LOT 22 GARNS ADD W55' N]

413 W Washington [STORYVILLE SUB LOT 2 ]

427 W Washington [N 98' TR 66'S 9'E LOT 17 GARNS ADD ]

N Cylmax St.



504 N Clymax St. [TR S & W SW LOT 17 GARNS ADD N EX]

...THANKS for the memories...






Today is