History of Marshall County, Indiana 1836 to 1880 by Daniel McDonald, printed in Chicago by Kingman Brothers, Lakeside Building, 1881
Mr. CORBIN was born May 21, 1827, in Tioga County, N. Y. His father, who was a native of one of the new England States, died when the subject was but three years old. The latter spent the days of his boyhood on the farm of his step-father until nineteen years of age, attending the common school during the winter. He was a diligent student, and improved the oppertunities offered for acquiring an education.
At the age of nineteen, he entered the academy at Oswego, N. Y., which he attended for two terms, teaching school during the winter to render his periods of study self-sustaining. It was through the kindness of his uncle that he was first permitted to enter the academy, and after leaving it he engaged with his uncle as a contractor on the North Branch Canal, but subsequently sold his interest in the contract and began the study of law in the office of Hon. John BRISBIN, in Wyoming County, Penn. His preceptor was an eminent man of his day, and at that time Member of Congress from Pennsylvania. Early in 1851, Mr. CORBIN was admitted to the bar of Wyoming County, Penn., and, in November of the same year, came to Plymouth, Ind., and entered upon the practice of his profession.
He began under favorable circumstances, and it was evident to observers that the young lawyer was a man of more than ordinary ability and merit.
In 1852, about a year after his arrival, he was nominated by the Democrats for the office of District Prosecuting Attorney, and was elected by a flattering majority. He resigned, however, after serving a year, and, finding more labor than profit in the office, he continued his law practice successfully and without interruption until 1862, when he was nominated by his party for State Senator. He was elected, and served one term, during which time there were four sessions of the Senate. He served as a member of several committees; notably those on Prisons and Benevolent Institutions.
At the expiration of his term of office, he returned to Plymouth to devote his entire attention to his practice. Upon the organization of Plymouth as a city, in 1873, he was chosen Mayor, and filled that position with honor and ability for nearly two years. He resigned this office to accept the appointment of Judge of the Forty-first Judicial District, tendered him by Gov. HENDRICKS. In every public capacity in which he has served, he has acquitted himself nobly, and manifested a zeal in his mission and a conscientious fidelity to trust that has gained for him the admiration of political friends and opponents alike. His practice has justified the ambitious hopes of his earlier years, and he stands now at the head of his profession in this county.
While he is a thorough and competent lawyer, he is equally so as a farmer, and now owns two large farms, in the cultivation of which he takes great pleasure. He has always been a public-spirited man, and a friend to every measure designed to improve the moral or temporal condition of the community. He was one of the early Secretaries of the Indianapolis, Peru & Chicago Railroad, and has been identified with many of the public improvements of the county. For more than twenty-five years, he has been an active member of the Masonic fraternity, and has taken the various degrees up to that of the Scottish Rite. He was one of the charter members of Plymouth Commandery, K. T., and Generalissimo of that order.
In 1855, he was united in marriage with Miss Catherine HOUGHTON, daughter of John HOUGHTON, a pioneer of Marshall County, and the second incumbent of the County Treasurer’s office. Of this union were born five children, viz., Manfred H., William K., Horace E., Charles E. and Cleon H.
|The Corbin-Bechaka House was constructed in about 1865 and designed in the "cube" Italianate style. The home’s architecture developed with successive owners of the house. Horace Corbin had the home constructed in about 1865. At the time it was constructed Corbin owned the entire block on the west side of Michigan Street between Harrison and North Streets. An engraving of his estate is in the 1875 Atlas of Indiana. Corbin contracted with architect William S. Matthews to make renovations to his home in 1880. The original plan was called “execrably designed as to practically deprive its owner of at least one-third of the room which should have been at his disposal…the interior of the home was remodeled in its entirety”. An about 1915 was about the time the estate was divided into building lots.|