Lake View Club
Clicking on images will produce a larger one to view
The Lake View Club was the first club house built on the lake by men from Plymouth; it is was the Mc Quat Cottage on the
east side, address being 2008 East Shore Dr. Being built in 1873
and has been razed and replaced with a new modern and larger cottage; located on the east bank of of Lake Maxinkuckee
on the Louden T. Van Shoiack farm.
Attention was first attracted to the lake as a summer resort by the erection of a clubhouse by a few residents of Plymouth
on the east shore of the lake on grounds leased of L. T. Vanschoiack. the same now being owned by Mrs. McOuat, of Indianapolis.
This was in 1875. The lease was to run five years. The club house was a story and a half frame building, with sleeping
apartments above, and parlor, dining room and kitchen below. It became quite a popular place of resort, and many times
during the hot summer months as many as fifty persons were entertained at one time. The officers of the club were
Joseph Westervelt, president; William W. Hill, treasurer, and
C. H. Reeve, secretary. - History of Marshall County Indiana
(1908) Daniel Mc Donald pg. 99
He also mentions of this same group:
Boating and Fishing Club
This club was organized by several Plymouth people at Maxinkuckee lake, June 15, 1875, the following being the names of the
members: Joseph Westervelt, president; John R. Losey, treasurer; Charles H. Reeve, secretary; Jerry Blain, W. N. Bailey, C. R. Cooper,
H. G. Thayer
[Henry George Thayer],
William M. Kendall
William W. Hill
C. C. Buck
, C. E. Toan,
, U. S. Dodge, T. A. Eorton,
Daniel Mc Donald
Hiram V. Reed, M. W. Simons, Platt Mc Donald, A. C. Capron
N. H. Oglesbee
. The club leased a piece of lake front on the east shore
from L. T. Van Schoiack
, on which a clubhouse was erected which was
occupied for five years. It is now owned by Mrs. Mc Uat[Mc Quat], of Indianapolis, and was the first place of summer resort on the lake. -
History of Marshall County Indiana (1908) Daniel Mc Donald pg. 236
In 1878 a number of those who had been instrumental in organizing this club, wishing to have something permanent
and more elaborate and comfortable, purchased fifteen acres of eligible lake front on the north bank, and
|| erected a large two-story frame building, lathed and plastered, containing a large reception and dancing room,
and other conveniences. |
|Also 6 cottages were built for guests [another says there were two cottages and six wooden-floored
tents that along what became known as the Indian Trail].
The main building - the rooms consisted of: dining, kitchen, reception rooms downstairs with 8 rooms for the families.
It was in existence for about eighteen years - Altogether there were eight families who comprised the Lake View Club.
The club was furnished with a fine sailing yacht, and five sailboats and as many row- boats were owned by the individual
The organization was named "The Lake View Club," and was composed of the following members, all residents of
Plymouth: William W. Hill, Nathan H. Oglesbee, Henry C. Thayer, Chester C. Buck, Joseph Westervelt, Charles E. Toan,
Horace Corbin and Daniel McDonald. - History of Marshall County Indiana (1908) Daniel Mc Donald pg. 100
Daniel Mc Donald in his book "An Early History of Lake Maxinkuckee" again gives the ones as forming the Lake View
Club in 1878 as: W. W. Hill, N. H. Oglesbee, H. G. Thayer, C. C. Buck, C. E. Toan, Horace Corbin, Daniel Mc Donald
and also Joseph Westevelt.
In the Logansport Journal pg. 3 dated May 15, 1886 - Messrs. Buck and Toan, H. Corbin, H. G. Thayer and W. W. Hill
have the plans drawn for cottages which they propose to erect on their individual lots on Lake View Club grounds as
soon as possible.
In the Logansport Pharos dated 2 May 1886 pg. 3 under the heading of 'Maxenkuckee' is found:
Messrs. Buck, Toan, Thayer, and Corbin of Plymouth, have their cottages at Lake View well under way.
In the Logansport Journal pg. 4 dated 10 Jul. 1886 under the heading of 'At Lake Maxinkuckee' is found:
Judge and Mrs. Siddall, of Richmond, Ind., are the guests of Mr. and Mrs. C. E. Toan at Lake View for the summer.
Hon. H. Thayer struck a two-inch flowing well in front of his mansion on the Plymouth club grounds, Thursday afternoon.
He will have a fountain in front of his plazza, supplied by a hydraulic ram.
The Lake View club stuck a two-inch flowing well in front of their club house on Monday afternoon. This is the fourth
flowing well on the grounds, and the fifth on the North side. Others in contemplation will be sunk soon.
In 1886 from the 15th Annual Report to the Governor was an articleon Maxinkuckee by W. H. Thompson and S. E. Lee
First, at the Plymouth Club House, and the surrounding cottages of the members of the club, there are four wells. The
well in front of the Club House runs a ram which supplies the house with water. This, like the other three wells, is bored
about eight feet above the surface of the lake, and will flow to an additional hight of eight feet when confined.
The members having wells near their cottages are Messrs. H. G. Phayer [Thayer], McDonald and Hill. Mr. Phayer [Thayer]
utilizes the energy of his well in work ing a ram, while the much stronger flow at that of Mr. McDonald, wastes its force
in a beautiful fountain. This flow, when unconfined, rises in a two-inch stream ten inches above the top of the pipe,
which is itself eleven feet above the surface of the lake.
These four wells are all bored to about fifty feet, and each passes through the same strata of clay, sand and gravel.
The bank of the lake upon which the Plymouth Club House stands is about forty feet high, and at the foot of this
bank are a great number of springs.
Mr. McDonald informed us that he had counted twenty-four within a few yards.
By Mc Donald in his book "An Early History of Lake Maxinkuckee":
After the summer resorters began to come to the lake in the '80s, and especially after the completion of the Vandalia
railroad their receptions and dances during the seasons were considered the finest given about the lake and were
always largely attended.
The club did much to popularize the lake and bring it into general notoriety, and in its dissolution left pleasant memories
among the many who enjoyed its hospitality.
Of the group it is said:
Within a few years each of these members, except Mr. Westervelt, erected comfortable cottages in which they made
their homes during the summer seasons, all taking their meals at the club house. In 1890, owing to business reverses
of some of the members, it became necessary to disband the club and dispose of the property, which was done, the
Vandalia railroad company purchasing it for $16,000. -
History of Marshall County Indiana (1908) Daniel Mc Donald pg. 100
|Taken summer of 1880 Lakeview Club House On upper veranda (north) Seated Mrs. C. C. Buck, H. G.
Thayer, Standing Mrs. C. E. Toan and babe Marjorie.C. C. Buck and another gentlemen in standing in the grove of trees
with a tent in background; to the right there are possible other people at the edge of the building. Photo was a series
taken by Frank M. Lacy, Photo grapher, Vance Block, Indianapols
By 1905 the wives of Horace Corbin, C. C. Buck, Joseph Westervelt and N. H. Oglesbee were deceased.
||Lake View Club members and wives left to right: Capt. Ed Morris, Mr. Toan, Mrs. Corbin, Walter Oglesbee, Jessie
Toan, Ed Corbin, Mrs. C. C. Buck, Judge Corbin, Mrs. Toan, Mrs. Mary E. Thayer, Mrs. Westervelt, Kittie Mc Donald, C. C
buck and Joseph Westervelt.
|C. C. Buck & Joseph Westervelt sitting on porch of Plymouth Club.
||C. C. Buck is to be the man in the chair in the center of the picture. He was a banker and
hardware dealer. His firm failed in the depression of 1893. |
|The caption on the above photo from the Marshall County Historical Museum
describes it as being a location on the west side of Lake Maxinkuckee "near the Plymouth
Club House" in the late 1800s. This could be the Capt. Morris Boat house area below is an
enlarged secton of the one postcard of the Morris boat house - compare the resembelance
of the front porch. Or I would hazard as guess that this is in front of one of the cottages
built by one of the Lakeview Club members. It could also possibly be the bath house that
sat on the very east end of the park.(clicking image will produce a large one)
1890 - Mar 13 - D. Mc Donald offers for sale his cottage and club house interest at
The Lake View was sold to the Vandalia railroad and some have given the date as early as
1890 and as late as 1894/5. But the exact year of sale of the Lake View Club AKA Plymouth
Club to the Vandalia Railroad has been found and is recorded as follows:
The Vandalia Company has purchased the Plymouth Club house and grounds at Lake
Maxinkuckee. The tract of ground contains eight acres and is the most desirable property
at the lake. - Logansport Pharos April 23, 1891
The T. H. and L. division of the Vandalia will hereafter have much better facilities at Lake
Maxinkuckee than in the past, the company having bought out the property of the Plymouth
Club at the head of the lake.
There are fifteen acres in the tract which includes the beautiful bluff so much admired by all
visitors. The consideration was $16,000. - Logansport Reporter April 24, 1891
1890 - Found in the 1890 Annual report is:
$730.81 expended on the grounds at Marmont and $ 271.33 expended in repairing the
Club House and cottages at same place. pg. 36 Forty-Third annual Report of the President
and Directors of the Terre Haute and Indianapolis Rail Road Company to the Stockholders
for the Year Ending November 30 1890 By Terre Haute & Indianapolis Railroad Company
The Vandalia Railroad mention of it in reports as "club house and cottages" until 1892
when Lake View Hotel
is used in the annual reports.