Culver -Union Township Public Library
It is said that the library was once located over the O. T. Goss Hardware store which was located at what is now
120 S. Main Street ;
during this periods John Mitchell
was an original member of the library board, when the library was located over the Goss Hardware
store, and was president for several years.
Before the purchase of part of Lot 7 and 8 by Schyluer C. Schilling - the ownership is quite muddled with
unpaid mortages and possibly un-paid taxes. There are many names associated with these lots from 1863-1910.
The abstract does not clearly trace the history of the
properties but it seems the longest holder of it was Lottie A. Vories and her husband George W. Vories.
This is the bank and library block as of Nov. 1906 by the Sanborn Fire Map
|| On the back lot which is the parking lot is 2 houses the larger buildings the two buildings with "x" through them
are stable and livery buildings and there are two smaller buildings. Ohio Street was not in existence at that time only the
alley between the west and east portions of the lots with main street to the east. The Methodist Church is on the
north; the telephone exchange with a small builing to the west; a dweilling; an office building and another office building
stradled thr property line|
|The property went through a series of owners, though Lottie and George Voreis seem to have been
long-lasting and later owners of the land. There are sketchy records of a log cabin on the site, in one structural form or
another, since 1868. Fran Butler is stated a bachelor had been living there who frightened local children. Early postcards
are tough to make out, but by the time both the bank and the church were there, the lot looks pretty vacant. Tho the
early Sanborn maps depicts buildings still there and one housed the telephone exchange for several years before moveing
to its Lakeview Strret locality.
|1904-1910- Dr. O. A. Rea - opposite of Post office
The Dr. Rea Office building - one can see the M. E. Methodist Church in the
background to the north that sat on the corner of Main & Washington.
||On - 20 January 1911 the building which probably housed the library as well as another business was purchased
by Schyluer C. Schilling. The accounting is found as follows:
1910, Mar 24 - S,C, Shilling has bought the Voreis 72 feet on Main Street between the M E
Church and Rea's building for $1,200. He will hold it as an investment.
1910 Nov. 17 - S. C.Shilling has bought the Dr. Rea Office building for $2,000. The completes
the ownership in Mr Shilling of the entire frontage 132 feet, from the bank corner to the
the Methodist church.
The deed is as follows:
ahistory of the library lot
|and the full contents of the deed
(107 N. Main) can be found here.
|This is the bank and library block as of Nov. 1914 by the Sanborn Fire Map
On the back lot which is the parking lot is 2 houses the larger buildings the two buildings with "x" through them are stable and
livery buildings and there is one smaller buildings. Ohio Street had com einto existences, the alley remained between the west
and east portions of the lots with main street to the east. The Methodist Church is on the north; the telephone exchange
) with a small builing to
the west is now listed as a dwelling; the dwelling that was in the 1906 map is non-existent now; the office building now is listed
as a doctor's office and the telephone exchange and the office building on the corner had been torn down and replaced by the
Exchange Bank building which also housed the Post Office and a doctors office
If it did not house the library already (as temporary quarters) this piece of ground was destined to become the home of the Carnegie
Library. This building on the lot was sold for $10.00 it was daid to be a log cabin and that a bachelor had been living there and that
the children were afraid of him.
A questionaire to obtain a grant had to be filled
out by the town
fathers and certain guidlines had to be followed for carnagie libraires
history of and layouts of Carnagie Libraires).
Would it not be interesting to find this actual filled out questioniare?
Upon inquiry or being accepted for a grant the library was sent a copy ofNotes on the Erection Library Buildings with Type
authored by James Bertram, Carnegie’s secretary.
On source states that Bessie Easterday was the first librarian at a time when "no married ladies" applications were considered. She
served until January, 1915 when Zola Moss was elected librarian.
With the upstairs rooms rented from S. C. Shilling a janitor was hired . Miss Zola Moss was hired as librarian. The men of the
committee agreed to maintain the heating in the reading rooms. By the end of December, there were 1500 books on the
shelves. The book Committee was instructed "to catalog books as best they could.”
1914 - April 2 – Library for Culver
An Organization has Been Effected and Movement for a building will be started.
The first step hasbeen taken toward securing a Carnegie library building in Culver.
A committiee of seven was appointed and the Commerical Club meeting the other night, to corespond with
the State Library Association and get full information as to the steps required to organize a public library, and
aslo solicit the people of Culver and union town ship for donations of books as a nuclous of a library.
The people of the township are as much interested as the people of the town, for it is proposed to make the
linrary a township affair. Mrs. Shilling has tender the use, for an indefinite period , of the three rooms over Dr
Tallman's office for the library and reading rooms
W. C.Elston of Kewanna was at the meeting and gave a very full outline of the steps necessary to organize a
Library association and to secure a buiilding fund from the Carnagie corporation
Upon the petition of fifty freehold voters the township advisory board must levy a tax of not less than 5-10 of
a mill nor more than one mill on for library purposes. One mill on the assessed valuation of the property in Union
township will produce $1,800, and 5-10 of a mill will rais $900. As the Carnegie corporation donates ten times
the amount raised by taxation we will be able to ask, and presumably receive either $18,000 or 8,000 on the
levy above mentioned.
Assuming that a $10,000 building will meet our requirements a tax levy of 6-10 of a mill will be ample. It is as
part of the Carnegie corporation requirements, however, that not less than the amount raised on this first levy
can ever be levied, and it may be increased at the pleasure of the advisory board or as the necessities of the
But it must be safely assumed that $1,000 will be sufficient for the needs of library maintenance foe dome time
to come. A 6-10 levy will produce this amount. Kewanna's library will cost $8,000, and it is an excellent building,
or will be when done.
Two features which will be incorporated in the proposed Culver building, are an auditoriun and a public comfort station.
The latter will especially appeal to the residents of the township, as it will supply a much needed convenience. It will
be open at all times, and in connection ther may be a rest room for women.
President Medbourn appointed a committe of seven to take in hand the organization of a library.
The committee consists of:
T. E. Slattery
W. S. Easterday
D. D. Sheerin and
John P. Walter
This committee met at the Palmer House on SUnday where the members were Mr. Walters guests at dinner.
After dinner the committee met for business. Mr. Walter was elected chairman, Mr. Slattery secretary and Mr.
On motion of Mr. Sheerin the rooms offered by Mr. SHilling were accepted with thanks. On motion of Mr.
Zechiel a committes of three was appointed to place the rooms in proper condition. The committe consists of
Messrs. Morris, Shilling and Zechiel
On motion of Mr. Sheerin, Mr. Easterday was appointed a committee on publicity.
On motion of Mr. Shilling it was decided that the names of all persons donating books to the library previous
to May 1, 1914, shall beinscribed on a Roll of Honor to be framed and hung in the library for all future time.
1914 - Apr 2 - W. S. Easterday contributed the first volume to the new public library and his name will be No. 1
on the Roll of Honor. The title of the volume is “ Museum of Antiquities”
1914 - Apr 2 - Library Notice
The first steps have been taken for the organization of a free public library which we hope to install in a
$10,000 ot $12, 000 Carnagie building, books are necessary.
We therefore aske every person in the town and township to give at least one book. Write on the fly leaf
"Donated by (your name)"
Bring these books to the Exchange Bank where they will be transferred to shelves in the library rooms over
Dr. Tallman's office.
Every person donating a book previous to
May, 1914, will have his name inscribed on a Roll of Honor to be framed and hung in the library as a perpetual
recongnition of the donor's part in founding the library.
There is hardly a family that cannot spare at least one book.
Lets us have these books as soon as possible
The sooner we get our library open the sooner will the public derive pleasure and benefit from it - Committee
1914 - Jul 25 - The Public Library - At a meeting of the library committee Tuesday evening it was decided to
have Sectretary Slattery write to the state librarian for instructions as to the proper method of cataloguing
and installing the Union Township library. It was decided that as many of the committee as possible, and
others interested, should attended the 13th district librarians' confernece in PLymouth today.
1914 - Aug 13 - The Public Library
Definite progress is being made on the public library. The town board held a special meeting on
Tuesday night aDd extended a special library tax of 1 mill on the $100 which will raise about $350,
and later on the township advisory board will be called upon to make an addjtional levy.
The next step will be the appointment of seven persons to constitute a library board. Two of
these will be appointed by the town board, two by the school board, and three by the judge of
the circuit court. This board will then elect its permanent officers.
The township advisory board at a later date will be required to appoint two members, one of whom
must be the township trustee.
Meantime arrangements are being made for an early opening of the library rooms. A temporary
system of loaning out the books will be installed. As soon as this is done the rooms will be open
from 2 to 4 on Tuesdays and Saturdays
1914 - Aug 20 - The Public library
To the Public:
The undersigned, member of the temporary committee appointed at the citizen's
meeting to take charge of the preliminary arrrangement for organizing a public library
for Culver and Union township, with a view to securing a Carnagie library building, are
advised o fth e appointment by Judge Bernetha of the following persons to sere for
two years as members of the permanent library board:
A. J. Michael
The townn and school boards will each appoint two additional members at an early ate.
A. B. Bolt
and Edna Stahl.
In this connection we desire to express our appreciation of the liberal donations of books which we
have received, and also of the encouragement we have received from the people of Culver and Union
township and the cottagers around the lake. We have advanced the library project as rapidly as seemed
possible in view of the fact that the summer season is our busiest time.
We hope to receive further donations of book& from those whoare intersted in our efforts. Send
them to the Exchange bank.
The library is now open to the public on Tuesday and Saturday afternoons from 2 to 4 o'clock.
John P . Walter, president;
T. E. Slattery, secretary ;
S. C. Shilling, treasurer;
W. S. Easterday,
1914 - Sep 17 - Library Board Members
The school board has appointed
Dr. N. S. Norris and
Mrs. I G. Fisher
as members of the public library board, and the town trustess have appointed
Dr. E. E. Parker and
The three appointed by the circuit judge are
Mrs. W. O. Osborn.
Rev. A. J. Michael,
There are yet two members to be added.
Edna Stahl and
A. B. Holt.
The township trustee and one person who resides in the township, to be selected by him making the full
board to consist of nine members, but the last specified appointments will not be made until certain forms
are gone through.
||At this point, a group of eight summer residents sent a pledge to the library board to let them know they
were "interested in the welfare of proposed free public library|
the transciption is as follows:
Thereas a Public Library Board has been established in the Town of Culver City, Indiana known as the
Culver City-Union Township Public Library Board; and
whereas, by the aid of said Culver City, Indiana, Union Township and the Carnegie Corporation of New York,
it is proposed to erect and establish a free public-library in the Town of Culver City, Indiana, open to the use
of the inhabitants of said Town and Township; and in each year in and about Culver City, Indiana sojourning
at the Lake and feel interested in the welfare of proposed free public library, therefore and in consideration
on the benefits that we may receive by being permitted the use of said library, we do respectively pledge
and agree to pay to said Public Library Board as donation the sumt [sum] set opposite our respected
names hereto, on or before September 1st, 1915
C. C. Perry $100
Elizabeth C. Marmon $100 pd.
Anna Belle Robinson $25 pd.
Josephine Robinson $25 pd.
Mary Y Robinson$25 pd.
Charles E Coffin $25 pd.
J. G. Mueller $25 pd.
Lynn Millekan $25 pd.
1914 - Oct 1 - Library Board Organized. The library board was organized Tuesday evening and the following
President. Dr. Parker;
vice-presdent. Dr. Norris;
Secretary. Mrs. W. 0. osborn.
The board is now in a position to unite with the township members and ask for the tax levy.
1914 - Oct 15 - LIBRARY LEVY IS MADE
||Oct 13, 1914 the Advisory board of Union Townshop levied five tenths of a mill on each dollar
of taxable property assessed.|
The Advisory Board Makes It Possible for Union Township to Have a $10,000 Building
At a second meeting of the township advisory board held Tuesday evening, a levy fo five-tenths of a mill on the $1
assessed valuation of the township was ordered for public library purposes. As the assessed valuation is over $1,400, 000
thisl will produce a little more the $00, which, in addition tot he one mill levy by the town board, will create a library
fund of about $1,1000. This will justify the linrary board in asking the Carnegie corpotation for a donation of at least
$10,000 for building purposes. The result of the action of the tax leving board is highly gratifying
Let the campaighn be started for the purchase of a lot.
The people should undertake this with pride and enthusian. We have no doubt of the outcome.
The money can be raised by individual subscriptions.
The building will be owned jointly by the town and township and will prove to be a valuable convenienve to
the country people as it will contain a rest room and public comfort stations besides an auditorium in which
farmers' institiutes and other public meetings can be held
The citizen last week did the town board an injustice in stating that it had made a levy of two-tenths of a mill; the
levy was one mill, the full limit allowed by law. The members of the board are amounf our most
progressine and intelligent citiznes and fully appriciate the value of a library to the community.
1914 - Oct 22 INSPECTING LIBRARIES
John P. Walter, Dr. Parker, Rev. Michael., W. S. Easterday and A. H. Holt went to Kewanna Monday in
Mr. Walter's Apperson to inspect the new Carnegie library building which has just been completed. It
is a handsome structure, 40x60, constructed of mottled brick, with red tile roof, and includes a public
comfort station, rest room and auditorium.
It is steam heated. It was erected at a cost of $9,000. Though a little smaller than Culver would
like to build, it is in the main a good model for us to follow. Certainly it is an improvement of which
the people of that town and township have every to feel proud.
The party also visited Rochester and was shown through the Carnegie building there.
President Parker of the Culver Union Township Libray board announced the following committees
at a meeting of the board Monday night:
Building aund Grounds - E. E. Parker, chairman, ex-officio; John P. Walter, Mrs. I. G. Fisher.
Finance - Dr. N. S. Norris, W. S. Easterday, Mrs. W. 0. Osborn, ex-officio.
Book - Rev. A. J. Michael, A. B. Holt, Edna Stahl.
1914 - Nov. 5 - The library board held its regular monthly meeting on Monday Night, but transacted no business. Building sites
and other matters were discussed. The members realize the father they look into the matter of locating and building and
managing a librry that hey have undertaked a job no one need envy.
1914 - Nov. 19 - H. C. Sanborn, secretary of the Indiana Public Library commission, met with the Culver-Union township
library board Tuesday afternoon and enlightened the members on some of the problems which are to be worked out
||On November 30th, a group of merchants and business people
pledged the purchase price for the lot on Main Street between the bank and the Methodist Church |
1914 - Dec. 3 - Lilbrary Site Chosen
THE ACADEMY"S SPLENDID OFFER
CULVER MILITARY ACADEMY, Dec 1, 1914. The Culver-Union Township Library Board: We have just learned that the
committee appointed to select a site for the new Carnegie library was reached a final decision in the matter, and that the
proposed building is to be erected on Main Street near the center of the town. We understand that the lot selected
is vauled at $1450; and as the owner, Mr. Shilling, has very kindly subscrinbed $250 of this amount, there remains $1200
to be raised to cover the purchase price.
The acadmey would like to assist in making up this fund, and it permitted to do so will take pleasure in dulpicating
any and all subsrciptions until the total sum of $1200 shall be paid into the hand of some properly authorized person
within sixty days from date of Feb. 1, 1915
We hope and believe the library project will win.
Please accept out best wished and also to assureance to those actively in charge of the undertakings, aw will
as those whom they represent, that the academy feels a deep interest in the success of every community
betterment, and we only await the oppertunity to join hands with them in any movement looking to that
end. Yours Truly. CULVER MILITARY ACADEMY by E. R. Culver.
1914 - Dec 10 PROGRESS OF THE LIBRARY
At the regular monthly meeting of the public library board Monday night the deed and abstract of the
Shilling lot on Main street were presented and ordered to be sent to an attorney for examination.
A committee was appointed to make arrangements for the permanent services of an attorney to represent
The subscription papers for securing the lot were placed before the board for inspection. They contained
about 70 names representing $755.
All over $600 goes, with the consent of the givers to the library board.
The subscription papers are being held open, as many people, especially out of town, have signified
a desire to be represented with some amount, and the soliciting committee found it impossible to make an
extended canvass prior to Monday night.
The subscription papers will be found at Trustee Ensterday's office where it is hoped a good many
dollnrs will be subscribed. All surplus above the $600 Can be used to advantage to meet current expenses
before the June tax money is received, and later on the surplus can be carried to the building fund or
to the furnishing of the building.
It was voted to secure larger quarters at once in order to open a reading room, and the hours for the
library were fixed at 2 to 5 on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday afternoons and 6 to 9 every week day
1914 - Dec 10 - librarian Wanted. The Culver City-Union Township Public Library board invites applications from
any suitably qualified resident of Culver or Union township for the position of librarian. Library hours 2 to 5
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday afternoons, and 6 to 9 overy week day evening. Salary $25 per month with
increase if a library building is erected. All applications must be in writing and addressed to Dr. E. E. Parker,
President not later than Dec. 21. Mas. W. 0. OSBORN, Sec'y - Dec 17, 1914
1914 - Dec 24 - Librarian Is Choosen - Zola Moss, and it was
noted that a letter was received from the Carnegie corporation stating that Culver-Union township's application
for money for a building would be acted upon at the next meeting of the corporation. The date of the meeting
was not given.
1914 - December 31 – The 1,500 books of the public library were transferred to the rooms over the hardware store
last Monday. It is expected that by Jan. 1 the new rooms will be open.
Library Notice - Begining Thursday the libruary will be open in the new rooms over the hardware
on Thrusdays, Tuesdays, and Satrudays from 2 to 5r and every evening after the lights are installed.
January 14, 1915— If Culver City and Union Township agree to maintain a free public
library at a cost of $1,000 a year, and provide a suitable site lor the erection of a building,
Carnegie Corporation of New York will be glad to give $10,000 to erect a free public library
building for Culver and Union Township.
The cost of building the library was from subscriptions of the citizens of Union Township and the town of Culver , a tax levy,
the $10,000 Carnegie Grant, and a donation of $1000 by Elizabeth Marmon.
1915 - Jan. 21 - Miss Elizabeth Ronan, one of the assistant organizers of the State Public Library Board,
here to catalogue the books of the Culver -Union Township Library and to give Miss Zola Moss instruction
in the work of libraries
In 1915 contracts were awarded for construction of the new library. And in January of 1916 the library
board met for the first time in the new library.
Mr. Brookie was hired as the architect on 3 May 1915 and the general contractor for the building was Milo Ottshall of Akron.
Other contracts were given out as follows:
The brick selected for the building entire building was light tan and chocalate mortar and were manufactured by the Western Brick
Copmany of Danville, Illinois
Spanish tile would be the roofing material.
- plumbing contract was given to A. M. Roberts of Culver
- heating to O. Stengel of Rochester
- lighting to G. Emanaker of Plymouth
1915 - Jul 8 - Work on the library building has been stopped for several days on account of the non-arrival of
the stone water table.
|1915 - Apr 29 - The projected new Carnegie library building
From the 1914 map one sees that the library - takes over the area of the center portion of the block; that the livery or stable
is no labeled as such in 1924 & 1937 - but the building remains on the back lot and the Bank building has been divided into 2
sections by 1924 and then back to 3 sections in 1937.
1915 - Dec 30 - Without any brass band accompaniment, the public library was moved yesterday
to the new library building.
On Jan. 5, 1916, the first meeting took place in the new library. The Piano Committee decided on a Hobart M. Cable Piano from
Welcome Miller for $225. Mr. Miller agreed to keep the piano in tune for three years without charge. The Culver City Club donated
the electric light fixtures. Mr. Speyer loaned a clock to the library until they were financially able to buy one. Three large
portraits of General Foch, General Haig and General Pershing were given by the Robinson Sisters, who also gave money. Mr. and Mrs.
J. G. Mueller of Indianapolis gave a set of the Encyclopedia Americana.
Elizabeth Marmon was one of the biggest benefactors of the local library. She donated many rare volumes, as well as pop ular
books for ad ult and juvenile reading; music books and a twenty-volume set of the Book of Knowledge. She also paid for magazine
subscriptions to the library for many years and and then finally donated $2000, interest from this money was to be used to continue
The first library card was issued to Edna Stahl on Jan. 26, 1915; she was an original member of the board
and also one of the trustees, appointed by Judge Bernetha.
abt 1918 The a suceeding librarian after Zola Moss was Mrs. Mabel A. White Jordan who had started out as an
assistant-librarian and then in 1918 and serving for 24 years until 1942.
1919 - Mrs. Colgy Librarian; Bessie Easterday, assistant
| 1918 - Sep 8 - The library againd received another dooooation of books frm Elizabeth Morman, east side
192, about - Mrs. Charles F. White - Librarian
||Mrs Marmon donates books to library|
The Sanborn Fire maps of 1924 and 1937 shows little change in the 'library-bank' block of downtown.
1927 - OCTOBER 19 - The cement retaining wall at the side of the front yard of the library is being rebuilt.
The old wall was badly cracked and gave evidence of giving away most any time
1935, Dec 4 - Library Railing Gift of Mrs. ELizabeth Marmon - A double railing is being placed on the
steps leading up to the public library. The railing will be in the center of the steps and is a gift of
Mrs. Elizabeth C. Marmon. They will be a welcomed improvement as the steps are quite steep and
especially dangerous in th winter weather
1939 - April 20 - New doors were placed in the library entrance last week, adding considerably to the appearance
of the building. The doors are from the bank building at Argos and were donated by the State Exchange Bank
The lower level of the library was designed to be a 'community auditorium' with a restroom, and storage area. The auditorium had
two outside entrances: 1) was double doored entrance on the south end of the library into an aclove which had doors on the east
and west and a ticker window in the middle and the second entrance was from the north a single wood door that entered into the
a hallway - the stairway to acces the upper level, the bathroom and storage area were to the west and the stage area to the east.
The stage was at the north end and had an entrance door on the east and a waiting room area on the northeast corner that had access doors to
the stage area and the auditorium [later years this room was used to store the old issues of the Culver Citizens]. It even a
projection window above which faced the the stage area for presenting movies. Entrance to the basement could be also gained from
the librarians area via a very narrow slightly curved stairway
This 'Communnity Auditorum' was used by many of the groups of Culver and Union township over the years many being un-accounted for some
being: churches, the high school, the Red Cross Sewing Ladies during World War I, the Boy Scouts, piano recitals, rehearsals for
plays. There was not to be a charge for 'worthwhile activities' by certain groups but if it was a commercial group the "Community
auditorium' rent was $3.
In the 1950's the Culver Bible Church rented the lower level of the library for their meeting place till their building at 718 S.
Main street was finsished in 1958. Also meeting at the same time here was the Trinity Lutheran Church the first service was held
on 30 November 1958 in the Library Auditorium till 1968, by a history written on the church.
1944 - Aug. 9 - Mrs. WHite Resigns As Local Librarian - ... filed her resignation with the libraru
board the latter part of last week... effective Aug. 7. This has terminated 23 1/2 yeard of service
as librarian by Mrs. White... At a special meeting of the libraru board Saturday night, Mrs. W. J.
O'Callaghan was secured to fill the vacancy ans she took over her new duties the first of the week..
1944-1950 - Grace Ladd O ’Callaghan librarian.
1950 - Jane (Tabor) Scruggs; she had up till this time worked as a subsitute and an
assistant to Miss O ’Callaghan
1950 - Feb 1 - Flagrant Misuse Leads to Closing Of Rest Rooms
Continued misuse of the public rest rooms in the basement of the Library came to a climax yesterday when the Library Board
took action to place them under ‘‘lock and key” thereby closing them to the public.
“Hereafter those wishing to use the rest rooms must obtain a key from the librarian” the Library Board r uled at their meeting last
evening. “The refusal of certain persons, and we have reasons to believe it is only a few, to obey the laws or elementary codes of
decency has left no other alternative than to close the rest rooms to the general public.”
The desecration of property, the v ulgar, obscene, and filthy defacement of walls is impossible to curb without constant and rigid
surveillance, it was pointed out On several occasions in the past the Board has pleaded for community cooperation in cleaning up
this situation. A year ago the closing of the rest rooms was seriously considered and a direct appeal to the public was made at
that time. Unfortunately the action leaves Culver without a single public rest room.
1957 - The memorial stone to war veterans which still occupies the front lawn of the library was placed there and dedicated,
a significant event in part because the site then became the center of Memorial and Veterans Day parades through town for some
1958 - June 4 – Culver -Union Township Public Library Board has purchased a Library Book Return Box as a service and convenience
1964 - April 12 to April 18. - Culver Library Marks 50th Anniversary
The Culver Public Library now observing its 50th anniversary during Nation Library week, April 12 to April 18.
The following excerpt is taken from the Culver Citixen of April 2, 1914: " The first step has been taken toward securing a Carnegie Library
building in Culver, A committee of seven was appointed at the Commercial Club meeting the other night to solicit the people of Culver and
Union Township for dontations of books as a nucleus for a library. For an indefinite period the use of three rooms above Dr. Tallman's office
will be donated for a library and readin rooms by S. C. Schilling."
The effort of the leaders and the public in taking this first step bore fruit as represented in the acquiring of the Carnigie building, as well as
he large selcetion of books which has grown through the years.
The library minutes records he following: "The Culver library board met on Sept 29, 1914, for the purose of organization, Dr. E. E. Parker
was elected as chairman and Mrs. W. O. Osborn as secretary pro-tem. The following officers were elected by ballott: President, Dr. Parker;
vice president, Dr. N. S. Norris; and secretary, Mrs. Osborn.
The library was moved from temporary rooms above Doctor Tallman's office to rooms above the Culver Hardware in December 1914. Miss Zola
Moss awas selected by vote as librarian.
The library board held its first meeting in the new library on Jan. 5, 1916. The library was open every weekday evening from 6:30 to 9 o'clock
and every afternoon, except Saturday from 2 to 5 o'clock. On Saturday the hours were from 1 to 5 p.m. and the readin room was open on
Sundays from 2 to 5 p.m. but no books were given out on Sunday.
The frame residence which stood on the lot now occupied by the Culver library housed the grandparents of the present head libarian Mrs. Jayne
Scruggs. This building was moved to vacate the land for the erection of the library building.
Recent remodeling has provided the Culver Public Library with modern gas heat, adequate new lighting fixtures, and an air conditioning unit
which supplies summer comfort for library patrons. There is also a comfortable reading corner with chairs, table and lamp.
Recent additions to the library facilities now provides film circuit service which furnishes monthly up-to-date films, many in color, supplemeted
with sound tracks.
The summer reading program, sponsored by Tr Kappa Sorotity, has proved a very popular and beneficial addition to the library services during
recent years. Last year 200 area youngesters, students in the elementary grades one through six, took advantage of this summer activity.
The local library proudly displays a new United States flag and an Indiana State flag, both donations of the local American Legion Post. Incidentally,
the navy blue and gold state flag is an expensive one because of the applique and embroidery involved in its construction.
In comparison, statistics at the close of the first year's operation of the Culver Public library revealed that there was a total of 1,281 volumes and
24 periodicals with a total of 433 borrowers. At the close of 1862, the local library boasted a total of 9,947 volumes, 118 periodicals and 5
newspapers. During the past year there was a total of 21,830 books loaned.
The Culve Public Library observes winter hours on Monday through Fridays from 11:45 a.m. to 9 p.m. On Saturdays the doors are open from 12
noon to 4 p.m. During the summer weekday hours as from 12 noon to 8 p.m.
All available records fail to disclose a formal dedication date for the Culver Public Library. If anyone has authentic data on the event please contact
Mrs Scruggs - April 15 1964 - Citizen
1968 - August 8 – A long range plan for modernizing the Culver Public Library using a federal grant was presented to the library
It was noted the often-unused basement space could be put to better use, and there was talk of adding a ground-level wing to
the east, which obviously never occurred. Some changes suggested, however, certainly did.
The Jan. 9, 1969 Culver Citizen reported some adult materials were expanding to the ground floor of the library, according to longtime
librarian Mrs. Norman Scruggs.
It’s interesting to note that the respective entryways – upstairs and down – were effectively used to direct the flow of public traffic
in the building according to a schedule which must have made sense to the library at the time, likely to maximize staffing hours.
"The south door next to the bank lounge entrance will be the main thoroughfare to the library," reported the Citizen. "
This door will be open at 12 noon and close at 8 p.m. "The second floor door, facing the east at the top of the steps, will be open
at 3 p.m. and close at 8 p.m. Patrons may use the second floor before 3 p.m. by using the inside stairs."
All adult fiction, phonograph records, films and slides, current magazines and new books would eventually move to the ground floor,
as they stayed for the next three decades. Remaining on the upper floor were reference materials, children and teenage fiction and
non-fiction, and all adult non-fiction. A second circulation desk was added downstairs -
In the late 1970's as a gift and memorial to their deceased daughter's and sister's Lela Anne Donnelly Hildebrandt (d.
1975) the Alfred. J. and Barbara (Thornburg) Donnelly family had the front grounds of the library re-landscaped.
Some time after 1968 the library began to expand into the basement. Using the space for nercology file (started by Edna Taber),
expanding books, record collection, the magazines and newspapers, besides having a second circ ulation desk
|Under Jane's direction, the library cooperated with the
Indiana State Library. Culver participated in the film circuit
and interlibrary loan. The library circulated paintings/
prints long before other libraries. She installed a public
use copier. All of these services are routine for libraries
now, but not then.
She also had an interest in genealogy and started to build a
genealogiy section for the library.
She took training from the state library and from library
school extension classes. She read constantly about improvements
in library services. She cooperated with the
library at the Academy. She raised funds, selected and
recommended library materials, and was an active readers'
She served as librarian into the 1980's
She was born Rosemary Jane Taber on Aug. 14, 1919 Culver
Marshall County Indiana to Frank Harrison Taber and Ethel
Huldah Wiseman; married Aug. 29, 1938,at Culver "Mac"
Norman Madison Scruggs and died on Jul. 21, 1994 .
||BARBARA OGDEN, assistant librarian, replaces books o n new shevling units ,
installed last week at the Culver City Library. The new all Metal units supersede orig nal
shelves installed in 1915. Not only do the new shelves increase space for the teenage fiction
section of the library, they create better access to the first floor from the main floor. Purchase
of the units was made possible through the library's "furniture fund."|
In 1986 the building is still being used on its original site but the staff has increased to five people,
the book collection is over 25,000 volumers, including records, tapes and films. A computer is
also used. There are also 75 art reproductions available to loan out.
In 1986 the library board consisted of: William Harris, Cheryl Adams, Gwen Hoesel, Paul Pare,
Nancy Kobelt, Scott Joyner and Janet Baker.
The library staff of 1986 was: Mary Jane Guise, librarian; assitants: Donna Ringer, Roseanne
Van Horn, Edna Taber and Phyllis Helber.
In 1986 as part of the Sesquicentennial project of Marshall county, Mary Jane Guise wrote a short
article on the history of the library for the History of Marshall County Indiana Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986.
Also in this history under the brief history of the town of Culver Bea (Rassner) Bigley states that Culver had the
only remaining Carnegie Library in the county at that time.
The mid-1990s heralded a sometimes-heated debate surrounding the library. The library board, recognizing a need to
expand and modernize the old Carnegie, gave serious consideration to erecting a new building, possibly on the north
end of Culver near Park N' Shop.
- September 25 – The Culver -Union Township Public Library board agreed to meet with the architect who designed North
Judson’s expansion, which included saving the town’s Carnegie library…
- December 4 – The Culver -Union Township Public Library Board declined to sponsor a feasibility study to learn whether
the present Carnegie library building could be preserved in an expanded library facility, but the Antiquarian and Historical
Society of Culver said it would sponsor the study on its own…
The AHS, in fact, decided to fund a feasibility study in December, 1996, to learn whether the Carnegie could be preserved
and expanded, when the library board declined to fund it. A number of options were examined, including expanding into the
bank building to the south (it was concluded the old second floor of the bank couldn't withstand the weight of book stacks).
Fort Wayne architecture firm Morrison Kattman Menze began planning for the total 18,400 square foot "new" library, slated to be
constructed between Jan., 2001, and May, 2002.
2000 - Library vacated downtown quarters an establishes temprorary quarters at 415 Lake Shore Dr.
while the new portion of library was being constructed and carnagie library portion was remodeled.
Tragedy struck during the construction when, in two separate incidents, two workers were killed while on the job, leaving the entire
community jolted and stunned. Eventually the work was completed, however, and what had once been almost the entire upper
floor of the Carnegie, of course, became the children's and young adult room. A magazine area with comfortable seats, a fireplace,
and that portrait of old Mr. Carnegie was added, as was the carpet depicting Lake Maxinkuckee and the library's location on it.
The "new" portion of the library, created following the teardown of what had been the Norcen Insurance building, included the
director's office, circ desk, and of course the stacks. The decision to surround the book space with windows meant that almost no
added room for books actually entered the design. For the first time, an elevator was added to the library, along with a downstairs
staff lounge, large lower-level meeting room, and a room at one point planned to be a museum, in conjunction with the AHS.
Interestingly, the old Carnegie lower level wasn't developed as part of the renovation, but left unfinished and almost untouched,
for future boards to decide what to do with and to its west was the new boiler room.
The library received a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation U. S. Library Program Computer Grant.
The idea of museum, in conjunction with the AHS fell through, and by 2004, ever-growing computer usage led to the room on
the north end of the downstairs being declared a computer lab.
2006 - Scott Pelka leaves as director; Carol Jackson becomes new director.
The old Carnegie lower level wasn't developed as part of the renovation, but left unfinished and almost untouched,
was renovated starting in 2006 by the Antiquarian and Historical Society to act as a museum and research center to house
both the library's and the AHS' local and regional history collections among other functions. I
Board members as of 2007 are: Ron Cole, Rita Lawson, Phil Mallory, Kathleen Kline, Rechecca Church, David Campbell, and Peg
Sometime between 2006 and Aug. 2008 A pert of the new boiler room, part of which was converted into a small meeting room.
Around the same time, the children's area received a second overhaul, the circulation desk re-situated and a number of changes
made in hopes the space would be more attractive to teens and better accommodate children. -
Aug. 2008 Carol Jackson l resigins her position as director and leaves and replaced by Colleen Carpenter Rowe now McCarty is
appointed interium diretor and submitted a resume for the full time postion as director.
2007 - A museum, historical and genealogical room is under way; with support form the
Anitquarian Historical Society.
2013 - Anitquarian Historical Society has to vacate their room, library board rescends their agreement
2014 - Dec. - The canopy over the front patio is removed because of snow and ice sliding off of it
2017 - NOTICE OF DECISION TO ENTER INTO AN ADDENDUM TO LEASE
Notice is hereby given that the Board of Trustees (the "Board') of Culver-Union Township Public Library (the "Library")
did, on December 20, 2016, adopt a resolution making a decision to enter etc a third addendum (the 'Addendum")
to the Lease dated as Of July 1, 2000, as amended by an Addendum to Lease dated as of December 12, 2000, and
as further amended by a Second Addendum to Lease dated as of April 5, 2006 (collectively, the "Lease") in excess of
Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000) between the Library, as lessee, and the Culver Union Township Public Library Building
Corporation (the 'Building Corporation'), as lessor, to conjunction with the Addendum. the Building Corporation expects
to issue its first mortgage refunding and improvement bonds for the purpose of refunding all or a portion of its outstanding
First Mortgage Refunding Bonds of 2005 (the "Refunding') and to pay for the costs of certain renovations to the Library to
include, but not limited to, advancements in technology, new equipment, roof improvements, HVAC improvements and
renovations to the courtyard and the media commons, which improvements shall not cost more than $400,000 and will be
leased to and operated by Library pursuant to the Lease as amended by the Addendum, The Addendum amends the term
of the Lease to extend it by three (3) years to a term not to exceed twenty-five years, such term ending on January 1,
2026 and increases the annual tease rental for the emaining term of the Leave to an amount not to exceed $220,000 per
year which is payable in equal semiannual installments on January 1 and July 1 of each year during the term of the Lease
Roll Call of Librarians or Directors & aides
Here are some old pictures of the library: