101 N. Main St.
189- ??Blacksmith Shop ??
18_ ?? Roberts Hardware ???
Unsure of - could be - 120 S M
or even 102 S. Main - have yet to come
with anything on the busines other than the name.
1895 ??Variety Store, 1895 - E. M. George??
Believe it or not, this is how the present State Exchange Bank corner appeared approximately 80 years ago when
Culver was known as Marmont. The above photo of the corner of Main and Jefferson Streets, looking northwest,
shows the J. H. Koontz Hardware Store as it appeared in 1884.|
Note the hitching posts, the board walk, and the "old town pump" and beyond the frame building , to the left, is
the tower of the old school house which sat on the land now utilized by the first block of North Ohio Street.
Henry Koontz building
1885–1889 - Culver Post office - John Koontz came in with cleveland's first administration and the office
was then removed to Henry Koontz'a building on the site of the new bank building.
1897 - March 19 - H. A. Cook & Co., formerly of South Bend, have rented the store
in the Koontz building and will open a drug and grocery store about next week. Their
goods have arrived and are being placed in position. The Herald extends to them a welcome.
1898 - Feb 24 - Koontz &
Rea Buildings burned
APRIL 13 1900. - Dr. Wiseman has moved a building from his residence lot, upon the Koontz lot
opposite Porter & Co's store, and will fit. the same up for an office. When finished it will compare
favorably with any in the country.
Workmen are busy putting the finishing touches upon Dr. Wiseman's office, and when finished, it
will be a credit to the street. - May 4, 1900
In 1964 Mrs. Golda McLane stated that, "Where the original bank building stands, there was a
small green building with two steps, which were on the side walk entering what was then Dr.
Wiseman's office". In describing an
old postcard of Main Street looking south from Washington Street.
1907 - Apr. 11 - New Business Block to Be Erected 0n Main Street
This Season by S. C. SHilling
There is an excellent preospect of Culver adding to its business facilities
this season a new bulding which will be a home for its Exchange Bank and
S.C. Shilling, proprietor of the bank owns the vacant corner lot on Main
and Jefferson Streest, and has concluded to occupy it with a two story
brick building, 30x99, the front or Main street half to be used as a
permanent home for his bank and the rear half for the post office
provided the governemet will sanction its removal from its present
Staurday a petition was circulated and largely signed asking the post
office department to make the change,
As the postmaster and every visiting inspector had for some time realized
the inadequacy of the present quarters it is probable that the departement
will approve the change. Mr. Shilling will wait for the action of the
departement before drafting the plans for the proposed building.
The second story is likely to be devoted to flats and offices, for which
there is a growing demand in Culver.
As the corner in question is one of the best it town it is fitting and
desirable that it should be improved with a building of modern design and
creditable to the important interests to which it will give shileter.
||Exchange Bank - built 1907-1917; and it was re-chartered in 1917 as the
State Exchange Bank and existed till Jan 1985 |
During the years between 1907 and 1968 the bank building was home to a varied amount of businesses as follows:
Masonic Lodge - Upstairs 1907-1960's
Culver Post Office - abt.1907-1935
1907 - A new building was built to house the bank and post office. The 1914 and 1924 Sanborn maps show the
post office in the first floor rear of the State Exchange Bank building.
1910 - Jul 21 - The Town Board has rented an office rooom in the bank building,
vacating its old quarters in the Read Building.
1925 - March 27 - Next Sunday morning the post office will be moved into its temporary home in the Warner
Building on Main Street to allow the tearing down of the present structure.
1925 - May 1 - Friday was a busy day at the new post office when concrete was poured for the main floor.
(it was behind the State Exchange bank or a part of that building)
1927 - December 28 – The government has taken a ten-year lease of the present quarters of the local post
office with the State E xchange Bank and the officials of the bank have made plans to make the local office a
model in every respect.
1935 - March 27 - Next Sunday morning the post office will be moved into its temporary home in the Warner
Building on Main Street to allow the tearing down of the present structure
James I. Barnes Construction Company 1920-1953
Russell L. Easterday Const. & Supply Co. - 1953-c1958
State Exchange Finance Co. - 1923-1983
State Exchange Insurance Company1923-1985
At the 1923 Annual Stockholders Meeting of State Exchange Bank, a new corporation was organized, to be known
as State Exchange Finance Company (SEFCO). At this time, six hundred shares of SEFCO stock, $10 par value, were
issued to bank stockholders in the same proportion as their stock in the State Exchange Bank. The assets of the
SEFCO were at all times pledged to State Exchange Bank. The purpose of the new company was to afford
development of specialized areas of insurance, real estate and financing.
Western union Office - 19_ -May 1952
? Dr. C. G. Mackey, MD.
Tailor Shop ?- 1924 - M. Stuprich
November 3, 1924 M. Stuprich has moved his tailor shop to his home since the
bank plans to start remodeling its building at once.
Calumet Gas and Electric
November 25,1925 - Calumet Gas and Electric moves into new quarters in the new bank building.
The new room faces south and is just completed
Cleta's Beauty shop ?-1927-1938 - Cleta Easterday
1940 - Se 11 - Bess Easterday Buys Cleta's Beauty Shop - Miss Bess Esterday is now the
owner of Cleta's Beatuy Shop, which she bought or Rosalie Lower, effective last Monday.
Louise Stout will continue as manafer, with Cleta Berger as assistant
Dr. J. R. Robinson DDS - 1930 - ?
1930, jul. 2 - Dr. J. R. Robinson, dentist at the Academy for the past several years, has opened
an office in the State Exchanged Bank Building and will continue his practice there.
The Bernice beauty shop - 1930-?
1930 - Aug. 27 - Mrs. Hazel B. Allman and Mrs. Bernice Allman Umbaiugh as proprietors, opened Aug.
22, on the second floor of the State Exhange Bank Building.
1935 - March 13 - Mr. and Mrs. Earl Blanchard have purchased the Bernice Beauty Shop of Hazel
Alleman and took over the business last week.
Alice Beauty Shop - ? - 1944
1944 - Apr 26 - Mr. and Mrs Edwin Umbaugh, of Argos have bought the Alice in the
State Exchange building of Miss Alice Ridgeway
1944 - Jul 26 - Changes Beatuy Shops - Mrs. Mary Alice Hill will become manager of
Helen's Beauty PPArlor next Monday after serving in a similar capacity for the past
nine months' at Cleta's and being previously associated with the Silhouette
Cleta's Beatury SHop will now be known as Bernice Beauty SHop and will be
operated by Mrs. Bernice Umbaugh and Miss Dorothy ALice Stachowski.
Dr. Donald Reed 1932-
1932 sep 14 - Dr. Donald Reed has announced the opening of his office for the practice of medicine
in The State Exchange Bank Building.
Dr. Norman S. Norris
[Norris family] 19__-19__
Methodist Church Office - 1952
Betty's Beauty Shop - 1952
||The State Exchange Bank - The bank as it appeared from 1925-1958.
In 1924, the bank purchased the lot to the north of the bank to enlarge the bank building.
Plans have been made that the bank will occupy the entire front across
the two lots with the telegraph office in a room on the south side. Albert F. Stahl got the
contract for the building. In early February of 1925, dismantling of the old building began.
The bank continued operations in the Menser Building, across the street from the bank, until the
grand opening of the renovated building one year later. |
Sowly the above business (Beauty shop) either moved out or disovled and by 1968 only the Masonic Lodge
remained To provide for needed expansion at Culver, remodeling called for using the entire second floor of
the building. The Masonic Lodge, which had occupied quarters on the second floor
of the bank building since 1907, moved across Main Street to the
K of P. Building
Expansion included bookkeeping space on the second floor, new quarters for SEFCO and Insurance
offices on the second floor and remodeling of first floor offices.
A 1956 Culver Citizen article detailing the planned remodeling of the bank and remodeling was completed by
1958 when an open house was held. along with the addition of the parking lot in the back of the building
streching the full length of the block until the 2001 when renovation of the old bulding and building of the
addition to the library occured it was then that the north half of the parking was converted to the library
State Exchange Insurance Company 1923-1985
State Exchange Finance Co. / SEFCO 1923-1983
They moved out of the upstairs portion of the bank to allow for bookkeeping expansion there; sometime
about 1983 they moved into the NIPSCO building
On December 30, 1982, SEFCO filed for protection under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code and began to virtually be
non existent; just exact date it ceased to exist has not been asertained as yet.
State Exchange Ins. Co. remained in business in buisiness under that name until some time after January 24, 1985,
when the merger of the merger of The State Exchange Bank and Farmers State Bank was consummated and NorCen Bank
was born and the insurance company's name was changed to NorCen Insurance and was sold in 1999 bieing
purchased byRichard S. Miller & Sons, Inc of Bremen
and about 2001 moved moeved to 116 N. Main Street.
NorCen Bank January 24, 1985 -1995, Aug. State Exchange Bank Corp.
1st Source Bank,South Bend, IN acquires Norcen Bank-La Paz,IN Branch from Norcen Bank,Culver,Indiana
published Dec 31, 1991
Assets - $50,120,000
Deposits - $42,994,000
1st Source - 1995, Aug. - ?
Indiana Federal Bank for Savings ?c. 1997-2001, Jun
INDIANA FEDERAL CORPORATION, Valparaiso, IN; acquired NCB Corp., Culver, IN and its subsidiary
NORCEN BANK, Culver, IN.
5/3 Bank 2001, Jun - 2006, Oct
CONVERSE, Ind., May 31 2006-- First Farmers Bank & Trust announced today that it has reached a definitive
agreement to acquire three banking offices from Fifth Third Bank. The offices are located in Culver, Knox
and North Judson, Indiana and have combined deposits and loans of approximately $78 million and $12 million,
respectively. The transaction is expected to be completed late in the third quarter and requires regulatory
|| First Farmers Bank & Trust 2006, Oct- 2013 |
OP LOT #7 S 60' & 1/2 VAC ALLEY ADJ
COM 16.5' WEST OF NW COR LOT 9 OP CULVER TH S0-04-49W ALG W LN VACATED ALLEY 75' TO POB TH CONT S0-04-49W 123.21'
TO N LN JEFFERSON ST TH S89-05-14W 99.64' TH N0-05-17E 123.37' TH N89-10-51E 99.62' TO POB & 1/2 VAC
ALLEY ORD 2002-005