Hugh Smith Dies Suddenly
Widely Known Coal Merchant and Civic Leaders Victim of Heart Attack;
Was Director of National Bank of Logansport and Former Member
Of Board of Directors of Logansport Chamber of Commerce
Hugh Smith, 81, ot 128 Wheatland avenue' veteran local coal dealer and former druggist, died suddenly at 6 o'clock Monday morning at Memorial hospital of a heart ailment.
The well known local business man, a member of the board of directors of the National Bank of Logansport for almost 17 years was taken to the hospital Saturday but his condition was-not regarded as serious at that time. He had been suffering from a sinus ailment. Born Sept. 7, 1S72, in F ulton county, he was the son of William and Margaret Woods Smith. He opened a drug store in January 1897, at the southeast corner of Linden avenue and North Third street, moving the store the following April to 715 North Third street.
He continued to operate the drug store until October, 1922, when he, joined his father in the coal and building supply business at the corner of Tacoma and Vandalia street. Hugh’s brother, Asa at that time took over the drug store and has been in the drug business ever since
The father had started the coal and building supply business at the beginning of the century and Hugh continued to operate, the business after his father's death in 1926. It is still known as W. M. Smith and company.
The deceased became a director of the National Bank of Logansport on Dec. 13, 1936, and continued to serve on the board until his death.
He served for several years as a member of the board of directors of the local Chamber of Commerce. He was a member of Tipton lodge No. 33, F. and A. M.
Survivors are the widow, Margaret; the brother. Asa, 125 East Linden avenue; and two nephews, Ellsworth and Guy Smith, both of this city.
The body is at the McCloskey-Hamilton mortuary. – 14 Sep 1953 Logansport Pharos Tribune