102 S. Main St.
18__ - 189_ Gerard Saloon
1895 - C. C. Beaber
June 1st 1895
To the Hon. Board of the town of Marmont Marshall county, Indiana
You will please transfer the town liquor license issued to C. C. Beaber to Mr. Geo W. Gerard, of Marmont, and oblige
C. C. Beaber
Jun 17 1895 - The letter of C. C. Beaber was take from the table, and the Board decided that the license of
said Beaber could not be transferred, and a motion was made and duly seconded that the clerk notify Mr.
Geo W. Gerard to take out a new license. Carrried
1895-1897 - George N. Gerard 1895 - 1897
Four doors south of the post office on Main street:
Public Sale. The undersigned will sell at publie sale, on Saturday, Jan. 16, 1897, the following described property:
One walnut bedroom set, bedsteads and bedding, one heating stove, one gasoline stove, canned fruits, cooking
utensils, carpets, and a general line of household furniture. Also a log cabin, built last summer, suitable for a barber
shop or any small business.
Terms:— All sums of Five-Dollars and under, Cash - over that amount a note on six months time with approved
security will be required. Interest from date of note will be charged if not paid when due. Sale will take place
four doors south of the post office on Main street, at 1 o’clock p.m. sharp. George N. Gerard, Prop. - -
8 Jan 1897
George Gerard has retired from the saloon business in this city, and we understand will depart for the
far west in the near future. He has been a resident of this place over three years, and has been a good
citizen; and we hope wherever his lot may be cast he will meet with success. He aud lrs amiable wife
will leave host upon host of warm friends - 23 Jan 1897
Public Sale. The undersigned will sell at auction sale, on Saturday, January 30, 1897, the following articles: One
heating stove, oue marble-top washstand with mirror, tables, chairs, saloon and bar glassware, cookstove,
and other articles not enumerated. Owing to parties having bought goods at the auction on Jan. 16th
not being able to take them, Mrs. Gerard will also offer on the above date thy rest of her household goods
Remember the place, five doors south of the Post Olhce on Main street Sale at 2 o’clock. Terms cash.
Tim. Wolfe -
The sale of household furniture,etc., advertised to take place next Saturday, January 30th, five doors south of
post office on Main street, has been postponed until further notice. Tim Wolfe. - - 28 Jan 1897
||Using the 1906 Sanborn Map the location was determined. One also sees that
it was labled as " L & G. Notions"|
?-1897, Nov. 15 Masonic Lodge
Hall Upstairs /
?-1902, March 20 - W. S. Easterday
1902-? J. R. Saine & Sons
|1903- - The Cash Store - J. Saine & Son - an ad found for Nov. 1905
1903 - Dec 10 - Earl Zechiel is now employed at Saine's Cash Store
1906 - L & G. Notions
1907 - Oct 31 - - Saine & Son are concreting a room in their store basement for the
installation of an electic lighting plant for the building. An open stairway will be
constructed in the store room, and the second story will be used as a salesroom for
one or more of the departments of the business.
1908 - Apr 2 - J. Saine & Son are installing a cash carrier system and are preparing to
repaper an otherwise inprove the interior of their store room.
1908 - September 24 The Saine store sports the first electric sign to be displayed in Culver.
It advertices a brand of cigars and is the flash or disappearing kind.
1909 - Mar 11 - Saine has removed the wood awning in front of his store and replaced it with
1909 - Jul 1 - An electric fan has been put into Saine's store - the first one in town - and a
second willbe installed soon.
1909 - AUg. 5 - The Saine store building is being repainted a slate color
1909 - Sep 16 - Saine & son will sell their horses and wagon and run an auto delivery next
1909 - Dec 9 - An electrical Improvement - Saine & Son are installing a set of storage
batteries containing cells with which they will run the electic fans and a new electric coffee mill
APRIL 25,1912 - The twister which swept over this section Sunday night about 8 o'clock as an
accompaniment to a heavy thunderstorm left considerable wreckage in its wake. Window lights
were smashed in Lem Crabb's store, The Citizen office, Saine's Store, Listenberger's Pool room.
Harry Medbourn's House and Poore's building. A kitchen on N. W. Retor's house was blown off
its foundations and smashed to fragments, ruining all its contents; the gable end of Burt Ralston's
new cottage was blown down; and a freight car on Ferrier's switch was unroofed. Dr. Wiseman's
woodshed was moved from its foundations and the chicken house was tipped over as were small
outhouses by the dozen. The barn and corn crib on Ed Hatton's place southwest of town were
blown to pieces...
1912 — May 23 Saine & Son's new auto delivery wagon arrived last week. It is a 20-horse power
Ford and cost $700, which is a reasonable priceas things go. It is a stylish vehicle and will
doubtless give a good account of itself in economy and efficiency.
1914 - jan 15 - Saine & Son have introduced city water into their store.
1921 feb 23 the Saine Store is undergoing changes that will add room convenience and
attractiveness to this old established business.
1917 - Jan 25 - Sunday night's gale blew in a front window at Saine's store
1924 - Oct 1 - J. Saine and Son Store gets a coat of Paint
Work was begun Tuesday morning on the J. Saine and son store building getting it in
readiness for a new coat of paint. The entire outside of the building will have to be
gone over with brushed to remove the old covering before the painting actuall begins.
When the work is finished, it will be a great improvement to the appearance of the
building as well as enhancing the appearance of the entire block in whch the building
1926 - APRIL 21 - Work was begun Monday morning on raising the sidewalk on Main Street
in front of the Saine and Goss stores. The change in grade of the sidewalk was made
necessary because the grade of the walk and street were not the same and the curb was
higher than the walk.
1927 - Mar 8 - New Firm Opens up for Business in CUlver
"Culver Auto Laundry" is the name of the latest business venture in Culver and is
under the direction of Bert Rector and able assistants. This firm will wash cars, as its
name indicates and will also deal in second hand automobiles. The new concern is
occupying the building back of Saines Store - -
1927 - Mar 30 - Saines Celebrate 26 years in Culver
In Same Location
Opened Present Sore on March 30, 1902, and Still Serving the Public
Twenty-five years ago today, a new store was opened in Culver. It was the firm of J. Saine &
son, and during that span of years, this store has served this community continously.
The store at that time and until his untimely death in 1921, was managed by Jake Russell Saine.
Since then Claude May has taken over the duties as manager, and is still acting in that capacity
For about seven years another son of John Saine, Harry, was connected with the business, but is
now in California.
The firm is still occupying the building they first used. At that time it was owned and used by W. S.
Easterday in his undertaking business, but was purchased by the new buisness house.
While not the oldest J. Saine & Sone ranks among the pioneer firms of the town and the length
of time that this store has been doing business indicates tis success in serving the public.
As a celebration of this quarter century birthday anniversary sale is being held at the store Wednesday,
Thursday, Friday and Sturday of this week.
1928 - Nov. 28 - John Saine and wife wd Claude May S und 1-2 int.of lot 31 Houghton's
cor plat palt Culver $1.00
1929 - Aug. 21 - John Saine and wife wd Claude May und 1-2 int. in n hf lot 31 orig.
palt Culver $1.00
1929 - Oct 9 - H. G. Shafer Completes Deal for Saine Corner
A deal that has been "hanging fire" since last May was finally completed last week when
H. G. Shafer
purchased the store building and two lots known as the J. Saine & Son property on the
corner of Main and Jefferson streets. Mr. Shafer has not announced plans at present
regarding the propery
1929 - October 11. H. G. Shafer purchased the store building and two lots known as
the J. Saine and Son property on the corner of Main and Jefferson Sts.
1932 - Linco Petroleum Company - 1932
May 25 1932 Culver Citizen – Gas Station to Go Up On Saine Site
Modern Building Planned for Main Street Corner
Start Work at Once
Harvey Shafer Corner, Oppositce Bank, to be Site of Linco Service Station
One of the oldest buildings in Culver has been torn down to give away to the march of time. The
Saine building, opposite the bank, estimated to be at least fifty years old, has been demolished and
the land, owned by Harvey G. Shafer for the past four years, has been leased for a long term to the
Linco Oil and Petroleum Ciompany.
The Linco company announces that oneof the finest super service stations in this end of the state will
be erected on this prominent corner and that work is to start at once so that the station will be in use
by the middle of July.
The details of the project will be announced as soon as the company's engineers have complered the
The old structure, oneof the landmarks of the town, has not been in use for five years, and was formerly
occupied by the J. Saine & Son firm, dealing in general merchandise.
For Many years this was one of the leading stores in Culver and attracted trade from a wide radius.
1932 - July 13 - Culver Citizen – Linco Startes Work on $15,000 Station
Up In SIx Weeks
WHite Glazed brick Building to be Erected on Prominent Main Street Corner
Work has been started by the Ohio Oil Company, which handles Linco products, on a new $15,000
super service station to be erected on the corner of Main and Jefferson Streets.
The building will be 24X50 and the outside will be faced with white glazed brick, while the interior
will be of terra cotta glazed tile, maiking it as fireproof as possible.
One of the features of the new building will be its lighting system, which will flood the exterior with a
battery of indirect lamps. Refllected on the white building the lights will be so bright that a newspaper
could be read while standing on the opposit side of the street.
Officials of the company sttate that their plans call for a building which the community will be proud
to have on one of its most prominent corners
The construction is under the direction of A. V. Stackhouse, of Indianapolis, who plans to have the
building completed within six weeks. In keeping with its usual policy the Ohio Oil Company will employ
local labor as much as is practical and well buy as much local material is possible.
The local linco station will be operated under the Plymouth division. No local agent has been
appointed as yet, according to officials of the company.
1932 - Aug 3 - To Operate Linco Station - Howard E. Mikesell has been notified that he has been
appointed manager of the new Linco service station that is being hult at the corner of Main and
Jefferson streets. It is excpected that the new station will be opened for use in about two or three
1932 - August 31-April 1933 - Linco Service Station to Open This Saturday
1932 - Aug. 31 - With most of the construction work finished the Linco Oil Refining Company will open its
beautiful new station here Saturday. The white glazed brick super service station is located
opposite the bank with Howard Mikesell in Charge.
1932 - Nov. 30 - Pat Shaw is employed in the Linco Service Station in Culver.
1933 - 5 Alumbaugh Now Linco Manager; Berglaund at Standerd Gas Station
Bert ALumbaugh, former Manager of the Standard Oil service statuon on Lake SHore Drive
has taken over management of the Linco station and Charles Berglund has become manager
of the station formerly handled by Alumbaugh. Howard Mikesell, former Linco station manager
is devoting his full time now to his chicken and egg business.
1934 - Jan — Alumbugh BUYS BUSINESS - Bert Alumbaugh has purchased the Charles White Recreation
Hall , taking possession last Friday. He expects to check out of the Linco service station, where he
has been manager for several months, although his successor has not been names as yet.
1934 - Feb 7 - Named Linco Manager - Harold Robinson has been appointed manager of the local
Linco Service station, succeeding Bert Alumbaugh, who resigned recently to enter another line of
business. Gordon A. Cultice
been named station assistant.
1935 - May 15 - Cultice and Robinson Lease Linco Station
Harold Robinson and Gordon Cultice have leased the Linco Service Station, effective May 7.
They have been managing the station for some time for the Linco Company, but will now
operate the buisness for themselves
|1938 - Oct 12 - Linco Gasoline - Marathon Oils. The Ohio Oil Company
in the 1930's marketed gsoline under the Linco brand in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucy
1939 - Aug. 20 - Ohio Oil Co. Introduces New Marathon Gasoline
Friday September 1, marks the official date when local dealers of the Ohio Oil Company will
introduce an improved gasoline under the trade name "Marathon".
While car owners here have enjoyed Marathon Motor Oil for several years, this is their first
chance to buy Marathon Gasoline in this territory.
The Ohio Oil Company dealers, who formerly marketed Lino Gasoline, will no dispence this
improved Marathon Gasoline exculsively. This is the only change in the local set-up - the
marketing of Marathon Gasoline instead of Liner.
Marathon outlets are easily identified by the trade-mark of the Marathon Runner, with the
accompanying slogan, "Best in the long run"....
194_ - Gordon Cultice operated the Marathon for 10 years before resigning when
inducted into the service
1944 - Feb. 2 - Opens CMC Office - Frank Brooke, district manager of the Chicago
Motor Club, has opened an office in the Matathon Service Station.
1944 - Feb. 2 - Opens Service Station - Wilbert Sausman has taken over the management
of the Marathon Service Station and opened for business on Yuesday. Until recently he was
connected with the construction of the Alaskan highway..
1945 - Jan 31 - Buys Service Station
George Crutchfield purchased last week the interest of W. A. Sausman in the
in the Marathon Service Station. Mr. Crutchfiedl is no stranger to the business
as he has managed the Standard Service Station and Lake Shore Garage. Mr.
Sausman's plans for the futhre are not definite.
George Crutchefield is also associated with the one directly across the
the street in 1943 at
101 S Main unless on in same - but it is referred to as Standard
1946 - Aug 14 - Station Not Sold - George Crutchfield has not sold his interest in the Marathon
Service Station, although he is planning to spend the winter in Flordia. His brother, Glavis
Crutchfield will manage the business during his absence.
1946 - Sep 4 - New Station Manager Robert D. Powell of Connersville was succeeded
George Cructhfield as manager of the Marathion Service Station. He took over his duties
1947 - Oct 1 - The front of the Marathon Service Station is being remodeled. The
canopy is being removed and the front will be modernized and a new lighting
1948 - September 8 - Henry Hinkle New Marathon Manager
Henry Hinkle has purchased the management of the Marathon Service Station of
Robert Powell, the ransaction taking effect Spet.
Powell, who operated the station for over two years, has returnede to his former
home in Connersville
Hinkle needs no introduction to the community as he has lived here all his life. For the
past few years he was been conneced with the Charles VanMeter Implement store.
1949 - July 27 - Buy Service Station
former Culver resident, has purchased the Marathon Service station from Jack Kowatch
Mr. Studebaker, who resigned from his postion with the Plastice Division of the General
Electric Corporation at Decatur, Ill., took over the operstion of the service station laast
Mr. and Mrs. Studebaker and sons, Richard, recently moved from Decatur, Ill. to Culver.
1949 - November 23 - Byron Studebaker, proprietor of the Marathon Service Station,
announced today the completion of work started several days ago toward the complete
modernization of the Service station
|Marathon - ? - 1951- Byron Studebaker
1951 - Apr. 11 - Marathon - Bob Sanders
1951 - apr. 11 Bob Sanders - has purchased the Marathon Service Station from
Byron Studebaker it has been announced. The transger of owneship was evvested last
1953 - Jul 29 - Closed for Remodeling - The Maration service station on Main Street was
closed Thursday for remodelign and alterations.
1953 - Dec 2 - The Marathon Service Station Prepares for Reopening
The appreance of a marketing department truck at the Marathon service station at the
corner of Main and Jefferson on Monday was the signal that the Ohio Oil Company intends
an early reopening of the establishment which has been colsed since mid-summer.
A steel desk and other office equipment was unloaded and construction work on the
interior is beginning. The restrooms are being enlarfed amonf other improvements.
The Ohio Oil Company spent more than $7.500 beautifing and modernizing the
exterior early this year.
The service station apparently has everything - excpt a new manager and lessee.
1954 - Jun 16 - Omer H. Hall is New Manager of Marathon Station
Walkertonian Reopens Establishment at Town's Busiest Corner
Culver's buisness district got a much needed shot in the arm this past week when the
Marathon service station at the southeast corner of Main and Jefferson streets, idle and
unoccupied since last falll, reopened under the aggressive management of Omerh H. Ball.
Mr. Ball was born near Leiters ford and is a braduate of the Rochhester High School
For the past 20 years he has been the owner and operator of the Chrysler-Plymouth agency
Mr. and Mrs Ball have four children: Sharon 6; Karen 8; David 20; and Thomas 22. Thomas
has bee stationed in Korea for almost a year.
Mr. Ball became a Methodist during his early residence in Leiters Ford. He is an active Mason,
beinf a member of the Blue Lodge in Walkerton, the Scottish Rite in South Bend, and of Orak
Temple of the Shrine in Hammond.
Mrs.Ball and their four children are of the Roman Catholic faith. he family will move from
Walkerton to Culver before the school year begins.
Meanwhile David is assisting his father at the Marathon station and today is celebrating his
1954 - Oct 13 - Bob Mohr New Lesse of Marathon Station
Bob Mohr's Marathon is the new name of the Ohio Oil Company's beautiful service station at
the busy corner of Main and Jefferson streets.
Mr. Mohr succeeds Omer Ball as the lessee of this popular business establishment. For the past
two years Bob has been with Dale's D-X service station.
Ohio's headquarters are at Findlay, Ohio, but Culver is served by the SOuth Bend markieting
The Citizen congratulate bob Mohr on getting into business for himself and wishes him unbounded
1955 - AUg 31 - Lester C. Snyder Buys Marathon Service Station
Lester C . Snyder, head of Snyder Chevrolet Sales, has purchased Bob Mohr's
interest in the attractive and modern Marathon Service Station at the southeast
corner of Main and Jefferson Streets and has already taken possession.
R. G. Mathioudakisi of the SOuth Bend marketing division of the Ohio Oil Comapany
was in Culver on Tuesday to complete the negotiations.
To be operated under the name of Snyder's Marathon Service, the establishment
was purchased mainly to provide more lubrication and car washing facilities for the
growning Snyder Chevrolet Sales at 211 E. Jefferson St.
B. F. Goodrich tires, batteries and accessories will be handled in addition to the well
known Marathon prodcuts.
Mr. Smyder's staff has increased from three to 12 since he came to Culver a little over
a year agai.
1956 - Sep 26 - Herman Knoerzer Leases Marathon Service Station
Herman Knoerzer, who has
been in charge of the Marathon Service Station for Lester C. Synder since January, has taken over
the full management which be known as the Knoezer Marathon Service Station.
R. G. Mathioudakis of the SOuth Bend markieting division of the Ohio Oil Company was in CUlver on
Thesday to complete the negotiations.
The station will specialize in complete lubnrication and has car washing and polishing facilities and
battery and tire service , B. F. Goodrich tires, batteries and accessories will be handled in addition
to the wel known Marathon products.
Ther Herman Knoerzers have lives at 618 School street in Culver since January and prior to that
time resided in Hibbard. Ther two sons Nicholas Arthur 11 and Richard Allan 10 attend the Culver
Mr. Knoerze worked as a mechanic at Snyder Chevrolet Sales before taking over the management
of the station early this year.
1959 - Jun 17 - Herman Knoerzer Closes Marathon Service Station
With regret the Citizen has noted the closing of Herman Knoerser's Marathon service
station at the southeast corner of Main and Jefferson.
Herman and his staff have rendered excellent and courteous service to many customers.
It is under stood that the service station, owned byu the Ohio Oil Company, is seeking
another lessee. The operation of the station has changed hands at least six times duing the
past 10 years.
Mr. Knoeser will shortly disclose his future business plans. We wish him well
1959 - Aug. 19 - Kenneth Tasch is New Manager of Marathon Service Station
Kenneth Tasch of Culver has taken over the management of the Marathon Service Station,
formerly operated by Herman Knoerzer for the Ohio Oil Company.
It is located at the southeast corner of Main and Jefferson streets.
Mr. Tasch was born in Chicago and moved to Starke county when a small boy. SInce his
marriage 12 years ago to the former Lois Peterson has has resided near Culver, where he
became assistan manager of the Culver elevator.
After serving 2 1/2 years in the Seasbees during World War II, re received his honorable
discharge in 1945 and continued to work at the elevatory intil 1951 when he took over
the Sunray hog farm for Sam Medbourn intil the present time.
Mrs Tasch, a graduate of St. Luke's Hospital School of Nursing in Chicago is employed at
the Culver Military Academy infirmary.
Mr. and Mrs Tasch hade a son, Kenneth Paul, age 9 1/2 and a daughter, Kathryn Lynn age
8. They aare all members of the Grace United Church. Mr. Tash is also a member of the
Collins-Tasch Legion Post at Monterey, and a past commander of the V.F.W. Post 6929.
?- 1974-1983 - Bob's Marathon - Bob Measles
28 Sep 1983 Culver Citizen - Culver buisnessman Robert F. Measles, age 45, died
unexpectedly Sept. 23. Having lived in the area for the past 27 years, he was
owner and operator of Bob's Marathon Service in Culver and a member of the
Culver Eagles Lodge.
?-? - Marathon - 'Doc' Greshem Monty Lough
1990's- empty lot - 1990's
JED AIR ?- 1994, May
Culver Educational Foundation - 1994, May- 1996, Oct
JD-ONE JD-TWO INC - 1996,May-2000,Oct
2000-2007 - Multi use - Built by the Tanguy's in 2000 -
Robert B. & Mary V. Tanguy - 2000, Oct -2007, Apr
Front - Mary's Shoppe 2000-2007
empty - JD ONE JD TWO INC 2007, apr.- 2007, Oct
2007- 2017 - Culver Academies Museum & Gift Shop
Culver Educational Foundation
2009 - 2 Oct - Jeff Kenney curator
2013 - Culver Eductional Foundation has purchased the Wickhieser building and will be expanding
their museum into it from 108 S. Main.