David H. Smith is almost 100 per cent product of Union township for he was bron here and has spent all his years in this community except for a year and a half in Rochester. He attended school at Poplar Grove when the teacher was paid by subscription. He took up the mason trade as a young man and followed it until 1901 when he became Culver's first rural mail carried. He retired from this to establish a harness and shoe repair shop, Sept. 22, 1912 and remembers his first day's receipts totaled $5. He was joined in the business by his son, Cecil, August 1, 1922. With the passing of Old Dobbin the harness business was discontinued in 1926. For eight consecutive terms he was elected town marshall, served two tems on the school board, 11 years, as township trustee - - a most unsual record. Worshipful Master of the Masonic Lodge, and filled every office except that of pastor in the Grace Reformed church, of which he is now trustee. He recalls as his happiest moment when he bought the old family farm. His father was killed in the Civil War and the widow was forced to give up the place, but Mr. Smith always dreamed that some day he would repurchase the farm. When he bought the farm in 1923 the realization was not as great as the anticipation for most of the friends and childhood associations with the place were gone and so he later sold the farm. Mr. Smith is shown here with the token of appreciaition presented him last week as related eslewhere on this page.