Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

104 E. Lakeshore  



Vacant lot 1906  

1913 - Jan 23 - Mr. O. T. Gos has purchased from M. R. Cline the two terrace lots on the corner of Scott and Main Streets for $1,000 each. This will make a very sightly location for the home which Mr. Goss is planning to build there this year.

1913 - Apr 10 - Is building a Residence

    . O. T. Goss has broken ground on the two lots at the corner of Main and Scott streets for his new residence.

    The main part will be 28 fet square and there will be an addition 12 1/2 by 26. The house will contain ten rooms and will be equipped with modern conceniences.

    A 10-foot porch will extend across the entire front.

    Stahl & Romig have the contract fot the carpenter work.


1914 - Jan 1, 1914 - Cost by the cost by the Citizen "0 . T. Goss, res........... 4,000 "

1914 - Jun. 18 - 0. T Goes has made a needed aud desirable improvement to his residence by the addition of a back porch it extends 14 feet across the north end of the house and 12 feet along the west side, and is 7 feet wide.

dwelling - 1914-1937  

Two views of the old Goss houss one a actual photo showing part of it and the other a cropped out drawing of it from a photo (assumed) for an ad



O. T. Goss 1906 - 1943 - Residence.

Pau T Snyder - 1943 -

an ad from the 1961 telephone directory


1961 Oct. - july 1964 - Van Guilder Funeral Home - Bruce Van Guilder
    1961 - Oct. 18 Van Gilder Funeral Home Opens Here
      The Van Gilder Funeral Home at Plymouth has opened a branch at 104 Lake Shore Drive in Culver, the former home of Miss Beatrice Goss.

      Owned and operated by Manford Van Gilder, the Culver business will be under the management of Bruce M. Van Gilder, who will be assisted by George Listenberger of Culver.

      Bruce Van Gilder is a graduate of the Indiana School of Mortuary Science. Included in the services of the new business will be oxygen equipped ambulance service.

      The dates of the open house for public inspection will be announced next week.

    Named to the staff of vandgilder funeral Home - 4 Dec. 1963 culver citizen
    Manford and Bruce VanGidler, proprietors of the VanGilder Funeral Homes in Culver and Plymouth, announce the affiliation of Jack Wilson with the VanGilder Funeral Home in Culver.

    Bruce VanGilder, manager of the Culver branch of the VanGilder Funeral Homes, is leaving this week on a six-month military leave of absence.

    Mr. and Mrs. Wilson have already established their Culver residence at the 104 Lake Shore Drive address of the businss establishment. Mr, Wilson, formerly of Rochester and Kewanna, has been employed in several Indiana mortuaries, and is a graduate of the Indiana College of Mortuary Science.

    Mrs. Wilson is a graduate of the Memorial Hospital School of Nursing at South Bend and was formerly employed at Rochester.

An ad that ran in 1964 for VandGuilder's


Easterday-Bonine funeral Home



1963 - January 9 - Mr. and Mrs. Bonine Purchase Easteday Funeral Home
    Mr. and Mrs. James D. Bonine, who have been associated with the Easterday Funeral Home for the past two and one-half years, have purchased the interests of Mr. and Mrs. William R. Easterday, in the operation of this Culver funeral firm.

    The Easterday Funeral Home, one of the oldest in Marshall County, has a record of service dating back to 1893, when i t was established by William Samuel Easterday, father of William R. Easterday, w,ho joined the firm in1933. The senior Mr. Easterday died in 1946, after which Wiliam R. Easterday operated the firm until I960, when James D. Bonine became associated with him.

    Beginning January 1, 1963, the firm will be known as the Easterday-Bonine Funeral Home, and the Easterdays, more familiarly known as Bill and Hildreth, will be associated with the Bonines in the operation of the business.

    Mr. and Mrs. Bonine who with their daughter, Cynthia, have made their residence on the second floor of the funeral home building, will continue to make this their home.

    Mr. Bonine states that the same quality service that has been the policy of this long-time Culver fi rm in the past, will continue to be the policiy in its operation under the now name of the Easterday-Boninie funeral home
1964 - July 1 - Announcement The Van Guilder Funeral Home of Culver has been purchased, and we the Van Guilders, wish to thank our frieds of the Culver community, who have made our stay in Culver most enjoyable. The availablity of the opportunity to serve you at the Van Guilder Funeral Home in Plymouth has bot been changed. Bruce M. Van Guilder, Mr. and Mrs. Manford Van GUilder.


1964 - Easterday-Bonine funeral Home Buys VanGilder Lease
    The Easterday-bonine fuenral Home, culver, has taken over the lease to the property which was formerly occupied by the VanGilder funeral Home of Culver. there is no immediate plan to move or occupy the poperty by the Easterday-bonine firm. future plans call for a large remodeling program for the property to meet the needs of the local firm.

    The VanGulder funeral Home of culver, which was a branch of the parent firm in Plymouth, discontinued their Culver operation last week. - 8 July 1964- culver citizen

An ad that ran in 1963 and 1964 -


1966 - April 7 - Bonnies To Move funeral Home To New Location
    James "Jim" Bonine and Mrs. Rosalie Bonine, on April 25th, moved the Basterdiay-Boniine Funeral Home into the re-modeled "O. T. Goss" property.


With the move to the new location the Bonine's had a glass enclosed case placed on the Kelly Shop building wal - a notice to the effect was posted in the May 10th 1966 issue of the Citizen; before thi date they had been posted in the front window of the funeral home building.


A 1967 ad


196_-April 2004 Bonine Funeral Home - James D. & Rosalie Bonine

the heritage
brick proclaims the establishment of the bonine family in Culver.


the name of Easterday was not dropped until after 1969 as all the ads in th Culver citizen for that year bore the name 'Easterday-Bonine'.

Bonnie-Odom funeral Home Inc



2000-Sep. 2009 - Bonine-Odom Funeral Home

    In August 2000, Gregory & Karen Odom, along with their son, Andrew, became associated with the Bonine Funeral Home.

    It became Bonnie-Odom funeral Home Inc, in April 2004 when the current director Greg Odom bought the buisness



Odom Funeral Home



Sep. 2009 - present - Odom Funeral Home - Gregory & Karen Odom
    In and in 2009 Orum's took on full ownership and in September 2009, the Odoms again changed the business name to Odom Funeral Home following the retirement of the Bonines

    In 2013 Odum's son Andrew began to Assist his parents with the operation of the funeral home







Today is