104 N Main Street
||Dwelling - 1906 (by 1914 lot divided into 2) i would say that the property took in both 104 & 106 N. Main st.|
"Neighbor" CROMLEY homestead, gone now, which stood on Main Street where RECTOR's Pharmacy is now. It was still
there around 1898, as a number of people recollect, an old frame house, which sat back from the street a bit and had a yard a
round it. The yard was fenced. - one townships Yesteryears
||Wednesday, March 12, 1941 Rochester Sentinel
Plymouth, Ind., March 12. - John S. CROMLEY, age ninety-six, of Culver, last Civil war veteran of Marshall
county, died yesterday of pneumonia. Born in Ohio, he moved to Culver at age ten. He operated a meat market
at Culver for many years. Three sons survive. |
1908 - November 19 - Three new store buildings are to be built this fall on the Porter corner.
Rector's Pharmacy 1914-1938
In 1909 Nathan Rector opened
his buisness in the upstairs of the Menser building.
1909 - Jan 21 - N. W. Rector, a son of Mrs. S. A. Rector, is here looking after a house and
store room. He has purchased a new stock of drugs and will be open for business in about two
1911 Nov. 9 - Rector has put a $350 cash register into his store. It will do pretty nearly everything except
make the fire and sweep out.
1909 - March 18,The Rector Pharmacy and the Al Porter Confectionery recently opened
giving Culver two more up-to-date stores.
1912 - Oct 3 - The fronts of the Zechiel Meat Market, Rector's Pharmacy, and Porters' Restaurant have
all received a fresh coat of white paint with green trimmings
1914 - Jan 8 - N. W. Rector has built himself a private office on a platform over the prescription room
in the drug store. He says he'll be out of everybody's waby but his own up there.
1914 - Apr 23 - Thankful 'Twas No Worse.
Soon after an electrical work man had left the attic over Rector's drug store Saturday afternoon
fire was discovered.
1914 - sept. 14, issue of the Culver Citizen proclaims that Rector's is the first to hang our a big
electric lamp over the front door.
Bert Rector and W. B . Porter got to it with a bucket of water and had it out by the time
the fire company had left the town hall
The fire was discovered by a customer who noticed the paint on the steel ceiling curling into
The inner surface of the ceiling is lined with paper and this was blazivg nearly to the roof
when Rector and Porter reached it. The workman had left a lighted candle standing on the
paper, and though he thinks he extinguished it, the fire could have not have started from a
ny other cause, in Mr. Rector's opinion.
The importance of the mishap lies in the fact that a gale was blowing from the south, and if
the flames bad broken through the roof it would have been difficult and perhaps impossible
to have prevented the fire from sweeping the northern portion of the town.
1914 - Oct 8 - Notice - Rector's Pharmacy has secured the services of an expert photographer and is prepared
to fill orders for outdoor new and home portrait work in tho best style anti at reasonable prices. Bring us your
film to be developed.
1921 - Aug 13 - The frame store building and lot occupied by the Rector Pharmacy Pharmacy
was transferred by sale last week to N. W. Rector by the owner, W. P. Porter.
1929 - Aug. 21 - The Rector's Pharmacy has enlarged the serving capacity of its fountain by the installation
of a beauti'ul marble fountain.
Rector's pharmacy 1938 --1955 Steffen Rector
1938 - Sep 28 - Nathan W. Rector, owner of Rector's Pharmacy, has sold his interests to his son,
has been associated with him for a number of years.
1941 JULY 1 - A modern soda fountain has been installed at Rector's Pharmacy along with new fixtures and
Rexall Drug store Josephine Rector 1955 -- 1962
1962 - Mar 28 Robert McKinnis Buys Rector's Parmacy, Inc.
Owned By Rectors For Over 50 Years
Robert McKinnis, 414 Liberty St., Culver, has purchased Rector's Pharmacy, Inc. at 104 N.
Main St., from Josephine Rector and will take over management of the business on April 1. The
store will be closed from April 1 to April 16. when it will re-open as the McKinnis Pharmacy.
Rector's Pharmacy, a prominent business establishment in Culver for over 50 years, was
started by Nathan W. Rector in 1908. Management of the store was taken over by his son, Steffen
N. Rector, and his wife Josephine, in 1938 and the latter has continued to operate the business
since Steffen's death on April 2, 1955.
Mr. McKinnis, a native Hoosier, spent his boyhood in Otterbein, Ind., where he graduated from
High School. He served in the U.S. Navy for nine years and later attended Purdue University
School of Pharmacy, graduatingin 1951.
Mr. McKinnis is well known in Culver as he was employed as pharmacist at the Culver City
Drug Store for five years. Prior to coming to Culver he was employed for five years as Medical
Service Representative for Hoffman- LaRoche, Inc., at Cedar Rapids, Iowa. For the past
eight months he has worked at the People's Drug Store in Plymouth.
Mr. and Mrs. McKinnis are the parents of two sons, three and six years of age, and are members
of the Culver Methodist Church. Mr. McKinnis is a member of the Masonic Lodge, York Rite, and Shriners.
Mrs. Rector will retain ownership of the building and continue to reside in her apartment upstairs.
She will assist Mr. McKinnis in the drug store for awhile, but her future plans are indefinite.
Rexall Drug storeBob McKinnis
- 1962 -1972
Rob was the former pharmacist for the competitor across the street to the south - then Culver City
In 1970, Rob McKinnis moved his store to the north side of town at
SR 17 & SR 10
Mr. T (Ronold "Ron"Tusing) and Rob
McKinnis merged their two pharmacies in order to survive the competetion when
Hooks, was brought
into town in 1974 and have a locally owned phramacy within Culver.
||Time frame is January 5, 1955 Gretter' purchased the Royal Blue Store and Aug 5 1959 - Aug. 5 Raymond Kline
purchased the cafe building|
Klines expanded to it aftr. 1962 - 1989
possibly an upstairs apartment on back half
The buildings were tore down in the early 1990's and has become one large corner lot , it was combined with
102 N. Main
& 106 N. Main
becoming what should be104 N. Main