1054 East Shore Drive - Toad House
||Section 22 - ? acres
||Section 22 |
Section 22 Lot 1 - 37.70A; 40
Section: 22 Lot 2 - 45.45A
Section 22 Lot 3 - 32.00A
Section 22 Lot 4 - 35.70A
||1872 Plat Map Section 22
Lot 1 - 37.32 - G. Peeples|
Lot 2 - 45.45A S & J. W Rector
Lot 3 32A - S. Rctor
S & J W Rector - 40A
A Smith - 80A
3.90A - A W B
.97? - D J
159A - J. C. Miles a part in Sec. 23-
A Bartholomew 35.70A
|1876 Plat Map Section 22
1878 - J. E. Heller
and other men from Indianapolis started the Highland House
1878 - The Judge originally bought two parcels, one in his name and one he put in his wife name,
Judith Ann Ridgeway Heller, who went by Annie R. Heller. The smaller lot, for the club, was in his name.
I believe that was to protect his family if the club with other investors failed. J. E. Heller and other men
from Indianapolis started the Highland House. But the idea was abandoned.
||1880 Plat Map Section 22
Platted cottage lots|
G. Peeples 35.5A
Rector & Thomas 85A & 32A
H. B. Scott 34.50A
1905 - June - A very desirable cottage well furnished, on lake front, good artesian well and good
row boat, will rent for $200 in advance, for the season. Address Mrs. A. R. Heller. Culver, Ind
The Lot Numbers in red are tody's (2015) workiing from both directions the Brawnell and Marmon
cottage the area in between has been decipherd somewhat. The lot sizes and shape have changed
1930 - Mar 19 - Walter Vonnegut WB to Earl W Heller, lot 8 Vonneguts sub div. 22-31-1 $3012
c. 1933 - E. W. Heller
1933 - Sep 7 - Elizabeth C. Marmon to Earl W. Heller - Lot 9 Vonnegut's Sub. Div., WD $1
1933 - Oct 25 - Earl W. Heller and Ora E to ELizabeth Marmon tract og loand in section 22-31-1 WD $1.00
1934 - New cottage built
1935 - Jun 26 - The cottage of E. W. Heller hasn't needed more than a brief freshing up since it was built a
year ago, byt the home is interesting and charming enought in itself to attract special attention regardless of
hom much "spot news" interest it has.
Approached from water, the green sloe of the terrace leafds to visitor's eye to the front porch which is
completely done in face brick and open except for the shade of several magnificent old trees
It is the pleasant custon of Mr. and Mrs. Heller to sit here to enjoy the changin moods of the lake and the quite
or gayety of a vacation evening.
The living room with its paneled walls, large fireplace of natice stone, and beamed ceilings of hand-hewn native
timber carried a desirable atmosphere of rusticity and simply beuaty. The furnishings of orinetal and rustic rugs
and the chairs, some of which have been in the Heller family for a century, develop this atmosphere further.
Mr Heller also tells us that some of the timbers used in the construction are from the Heller home which stoof
on this sam spot amid the same trees some 57 years ago.
The entire house is furnished and fitted in tone with the front room including a detached servants quarter's and
a ktchenette guest house in addition to the regular set of guest rooms.
But all conveniences necessary for making the house comfortable even in the winter have beeen included in the
construction which might appear primarily aimed for bauty rather than utility.
The garage is twenty-four feet long to allow extra space, which amonf other uses, may serves as a dry storage
place for firewood.
The basement has an enclosuire for the automatic water pump which keeps it silent and ash box for the firelace.
Pipes have been fited to allow the installation of an oil burning hot air furnace if the fireplace proves insufficient.
The fireplace is arranged with air circulation around it sufficient to supply a considerable draft of hot air.
The kitchen is, of course, the especial interest of Mrs Heller and contains all the moderities such as electric stove,
refrigerator, and all the cabinets which a bood kitchen should have according to those that use them
The visitor who arrives from the road reaches the house through a stand of unusually tall trees including beech,
walnit, red elem, elm, sot and hard maple, hickory, wild cherry, dogwood, and ash which surround the house.
A winding walk of cement pieces is planned from the rear of the house and terraced to the road entrance.
Mr. and Mrs. Heller designed the place themselves and it has been constructed by local abor under the supervision of
Roscoe Stevens; so the house is very much a part
of the region into which it fits so well.
1955 - Oct 18 - Earl W. Heller Sells Lake Property To Indianapolis family - Earl W. Heller has sold his
summer home a 1054 East SHore Drive to an Indianapolis man whose name is unavailable at press time..
Consideation fot the choice 60 foot frontage property is reputed to be arounf $35,000.
1956-61 - Evalyn E. Wright (lake directory)
1979-Jan 1998 - John A.
& Patricia A. (Devine)
Jan 1998-2015 - Cleveland Family LLC
PIPE S 41D E 29' NW COR LOT 2 58'