105 W Washington St.
The Methodist Church in 1955 it moved into new quarters at 511
N. School Street, where it remains today.. The old church was demolised the same year.
1956 - the 109 N. Main St. ceased to exist and the address was changed to 105 W. Washington St.
NIPSCO (Northern Indiana Public Service Company built a building on the far west side of the lot just
barely off of the alley with the main entrance facing Washington Street and a side door on the west.
Also there was a door on the South end of the building which allowed access to the basement area
| 1956 - Jun 20 - Steeple Comes Down with a Bang - Shown here is the steeple of the old Methodist
Church as it was being pulled down last Wedensday after noon by Don STubbs with his tractor and
with the aid of the Culver FIre truck. The church was built in 1869 and later remodeled in 1899. Work
was begun Tuesday, June 12, in tearing the building down to make way for a new Northern Indian
1956 - Nov 28 - New Bank Building for Culver....
We are completing the construction of a modern brick, fireproof, and air conditioned buildinf on the
west portion of the property heretofore know as the Methdoist church property which will be occupied
by the Northern Public Service Company and
Dr. Norman S. Norris on the main floor, and we are giving serious thought to completing the
basement of this new brick building we have constructed which will be strickly modern in every way
to be used by the public to hold meetings.
Alley Becomes A Street
To widen the alley immediately west of the bank so as to make a stree of the same in order to make
the west side of our bank as well as the office of Dr. Norman S. Norris and the Northern Indiana Public
Serivce Company as accessible to the public as possible....
1958 - 1969 /70 - Dr. John W Oldham, D.D.S - April 1958-1970/71
1958 - January 29 – Dr. John Oldham will open dental office here in April in the basement of the
1958 - Mar 26 - Dr. John Oldham, dentist, opened an office here after completing 21 months in the U.S.
John W. Oldham Birth: 12 Dec 1930 Death: 30 Oct 2005 - Savannah, Chatham, Georgia
Memorial service for Dr. John W. Oldham, 74, of Savannah, Georgia, husband of Shirley Henry Oldham,
will be held at 10:30 o'clock Wednesday morning in Skidaway Island Presbyterian Church conducted by
The Reverend Dr. John R. Wall. Savannah Morning News, November 2, 2005
198_- 199_ State Exchange Insurance & SEFCO (State Exchange Finance Company) 1983- 199_
They moved out of the upstairs portion of the bank to allow for bookkeeping expansion there.
On December 30, 1982, SEFCO filed for protection under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code and began to virtually be
non existent; just exact date it ceased to exist has not been asertained as yet.
State Exchange Ins. Co. remained in business in buisiness under that name until some time after January 24, 1985,
when the merger of the merger of The State Exchange Bank and Farmers State Bank was consummated and NorCen Bank was born
and the insurannce company's name was changed
||1984 - 1999 Norcen Insurance Company|
1999-2001 - Miller-Norcen Insurance Company
Miller Insurance company of Bremen acquired Norcen Insurance compay in 1999 and thus the name changed to Miller-Norcen
in 2001 they moved across the street to 116 N. Main.
||2001 - building demolished for the new Library Addition|
With this the 105 W. Washington St. address ceased to exist and reverted back to Main St. using the Library address
of 170 N. Main St.
200_ -present Culver Union Township Public Library