Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

1061 West shore Dr. - Bellewood Lodge  



1835-1837 Plat Map
    < Section 21 Lot 1 - 52.41A
    Section 21 Lot 2 - 41.92A
    Section 21 Lot 3 - __.__A [41.49]


James F. D. Lanier of Jefferson county, Indiana on 30 June 1837 was issued the certificate #7339 the East half of Section twenty; Fractional Section of Twenty One; Fractional Section of Twenty Seven and Fractional section of Twenty eight containing 793 32/100 acres.
1872 Plat Map
J. Miller 18.32A A. Foot 21.60A
J Robbin 27.90A James G Robbins
James G Robbins
J. Filer 10A
J. Smith 61.40A


1876 Plat Map - no names on it for this section


1880 Plat Map
W. J. Myers 17.85A
M. G. Gould 23.92A; 56/57A
E. Parker 27.42A
J. Filer 10A C. Filer 39.40A
G. A. Durr - Lot 2
A.C. Shepherd Etal
J. Green<


J. Green - was to have owned all of Long Point at one time to west [James Green
    When he first came to the west shore of Lake Maxinkuckee where Long Point is located, there was no one established there. He bought all the land between Maxinkuckee and the little lake, including all of Long Point, the gravel pit property and adjacent acreage.

    The original Green homestead is still standing to this day, but not on its first site. It is now on the rise of the ground between the two lakes. The house originally stood close to the lake where the railroad right-of-way is now. We are told that the railroad came through in such a hurry, moving northward to terminate as while at Marmont Station that construction work had reached the house before the movers could get it moved. In fact, the tracks came pretty close to being laid right under the house, which was hurriedly moved out of the way and back on the hill where it now stands, today untenanted.

    When James Green settled at the southern base of Long Point and for a considerable period thereafter, he did not anticipate that his waterfront property would at some future date be in such demand by prospective summer cottagers as to command rich prices. So it was that, before the great in rush of the "lake people", he without ado and complacently thinking his deals successful sold good-sized lots to folks for about fifty dollars apeice. Some he almost gave away. His son got one for doing some extra chores. It was not so many years later that those self same "cheap" lots were in great demand for prices ranging into the thousands.

    On Long Point in the 'seventies, James Green had twenty acres of land left, and between the two lakes 83.47 acres. - One Townships Yesteryears


From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
    All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the Vandalia railway to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and pushed to completion.

    Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee), and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
    With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the present week...


1883 - Oct 6 - The Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos Tribune

1898
Areas in corporated into Culver
N. Gould
M. Grubs 10A +
B. Easterday 38.40
M. R. Smith 32A [Milo R. Smith]
J. Green
Rochester Club
Long Point
South Long Pont


In 1903 Long Point in its entirety was offered for sale at $2,500 for development!

In the 23 July 1903 Culver Citizen was found this ad:

    Long Point for Sale


    Long Point, the most beautiful and desireable for residences, hotel or educational institution on Maxinkuckee Lake is for sale at a bargin. Enquire of Daniel Mc Donald at his cottage south end of lake or to the owner.


1904 - June 20 - S. S.Chadwick has purchased the extreme north part of Long Point, of Milo Smith of Rochester. Mr. Chadwick will divide it into lots which will soon be for sale

1904 - July 21 - The Passin of Long Point
    The recent transfer of the extreme north end of Long Point by Hon. MMilo R. Smith, of Rochster to Mr. Chadwick of the Chadwick Hotel for $2,000, marks another importtant era in the history of that noted location on the lake, and indicates the rapid rise in the value of lake property within the past score of years

    Time was not so very far back in the past when that particular piece of property was not considered of much value.

    Some thirty odd years ago the writer of this could have purchased it from Dr. G. A. Durr who thene owned it, for $60 and but for a misunderstanding in the description, the purchase would have been made.

    All in all it is the finest piece of vacant fround on the lake, and for many purposes its location cannot be excelled anywhere.

    This and the lake fron south to the Arlington Hotel is called "Long Point", in accordance with "the lay of the land".

    Originally,and for many years, it was called "Rochester Point", for the reason that in an early day several Rochester people purchased lots there and erected a club house. Until about the time of the completion of the Vandalia railroad only Rochester people spent the summer there.

    With the coming of the railroad also came people from Logansport, Terre Haute, Indianapolis, etc. untill now there is not an unoccupied property on the whole point.

    There is considerable history and a good deal of traition associated with this portion of the lake which has been quite fully written up for the history of Maxinkuckee Lake soon to be published by the 'Maxinkuckee Association'.

    The 'Chadwick Point', was an Indian burial place as human bones were found in a mound in the early settlement of the country. The late Maj. McFadden of Logansport, insisted that Pau-Koo-Shuk, the son who killed his father, Aunneenaubbee, and who died at WInamac about 1838, was buried there. But quite a number of people had been residents about the lake for two years previous, and none of them remembered such an occurance. It is more than likely that the genial and good hearted Major drew on his brillant and vivid imagination for his facts. - Daniel McDonald Pttawattomie Reservation, July 18


1908 Plat Map
    Rochester Club Grounds Lots
    Camden Club lots
      McSheehey
      G. W. Burrows

    Jas. Green
    SS. Chadwick


1922
    Chadwick's Amended Plat
    hotel
    Rochester Club Grounds Lots
    Camden Club lots
      McSheehey
      G. W. Burrows

    Green's Long Lot
    >> Harriet Allen - 2 lots
    James L Barnes
    J H. Reitemeier - 10.94A
    Jas Bardsley




?-1922-1940 Charles L Bernhard (Bernhardt)

1922 - Surveyors Notice
    Notice is hereby given that the undersigned, county surveryor of Marshall county, Indiana wiil at the request of Clavery H. DeFrees proceed on Saturday, September 2, 1922, at 9 o'clock a.m. to locate and relocate the corners for land and lots now owned by the following persons:
      Calvert H. DeFrees,
      Walter H. Behmer and wide Nora S.
      Hugh Smith
      Elza M. Cromley and Willam M. Hays
      Charles L Bernhard
      Ben F. Sharts
      Earl F Gutherie
      Harry Baughman etal
      George Stanton Green
      C. C. Durr
      Austin Druckermiller and wife Amanda
    All in section 21, townhip 32 north, range 1 east.

    Non-resident owners of lands in said section who fail to meet me at the time above mentione, in company with Calvert H. DFeGrees, and defray or provide for defraying their protion of the expense of said survey, will be returned to the county auditor as delinquent and such delinquency placed upon the tax duplicate for collection according to law

    Samuel G. Williamson, Surveyor for Marshal co.


1940 - Jul. 17 - ...Bellewood Lodge with Mr. and Mrs. L. B. Hackett of Gary, who recently purchased the former Bernhardt cottage of Lake Maxinkucke3

1940-61 - Laurence B. Hackett
    Operated Hackett Boat Landing


1962 - Jul 18 - Income property on Lake Maxinkuckee for sale by owner. Includes Hackett Boat Landing and rental property. Phon VI-king 2-2585

1979-93 - John W. & Annabelle C (Hackett) Logan
    1993 - Charles Logan (Lake Directory)


1994,May- Annabelle (Hackett) Logan

1994,May-1999, Sep - Annabelle (Hackett) Logan trustee of Trust 1999,Sep-Nov 2005 - James W. & Diane L. (Logan) Watkins (grand daughter of L B. Hackett)

Nov 2005- Nov. 2010 - - Owczarzak Living Trust
Nov 2010 - 2016 - Timothy G. & Karen D. Owczarzak
    PRT LOT 5 & 6 GUTHRIES SUB PRT LOT 1 BEHMERS &
    PRT SEC 21 BEG AT SE COR LOT 5 TH S25-59-30W 504.21 ON N LN RR TH N10-27-30W 67.25 TH N26-02-09E 673.19 TH N1-04-23E 2.66 TH N80-55-03E 35.19 TH S0-29-42W 78.65 TH N88-28-25W 24.28' TH S25-56-33W







Today is