108 E Washington
||Section 16 - 500.90A 1835 Original Survey|
|Section 16 c. 1837 500.90A (North shore town and academy)
||1872 - Section. 16
Est. of I N Morris 105 A ( also 80 A)
J. Duddleson - 30.60A & 10A
T. Houghton 90A.
J. HOughton Acreage not stated
J ___ name illegible 4A
G. A. Durr 10A
Lot no name no acreage stated
G. A. Durr 5A? - res (Lot 2 3A & 3A)
Dr. Durr No amount Stated lots as if to be 2 large
L D W [Lorenzo W. Wiseman]
|1876 - J. Castleman - 190A
1876 Section 16
||1880 North Section 16 - 500.90 Acres Town
I N Morris 185.34
B. W. Watt 15.50A
LakeView Club 15A
J Duddleson 109.31A
Tho. Houghton 90A.
J. E. Houghton 19.60A
E Parker 27 A
From the Logansport Daily Journal page 3 dated Aug. 27, 1882:
All the preliminaries for the extension of the Logansport branch of the
to Lake Michigan have been satisfactorily adjusted, and upon compliiance with a few
easy conditions the contact will be closed, and the work will be commenced and
pushed to completion.
Readers of the Journal are familiar with the route of this line to Marmont (Maxinkuckee),
and will have no difficulty in following it to South Bend and the lake...
With these advantages before them, our citizens are asked to consider one of the
conditions above named, which condition is that the right of way shall be furnished
free to the new line thorugh our county. The estimated cost of this right of way is
from $7,000 to $10,000 and it is proposed to raise the amount by subscription. A
consideraable portion of this subscription has already been secured, and a committee
appointed for that purpose will make an effort to raise the remainder during the
1883 - Oct 6 - The.Vandaiia railroad company commenced laying iron at Marmount a d
ay or two ago, and-withln a short time the tract will be completed from Maxinkuckee
lake to the Nickle Plate railroad, a distance of about three miles,- Logansport Pharos
|1898 - Section 16
L. C. Dillion - 10A, 99.31A, 79.76, 75.60A
T. Houghton 89A
E. Duddle(son) 9.60A
E. Morris 21.49A/Morris Lake Front Plat
T. H. & L RRR Lake View Club 15 A.
J. J. Bryant
Incorporated Limits of Culver
||1900 - Evermans' Biological Survey|
||J. A. Hines Blacksmithing, Horseshoeing & Livery Bl Sm Wagon Shop - 1906 - on Alley corner |
1907 - May 9 - Culver has a new livery barn, opened by H. H. AUstin.
1909 - Apr. 22 - H. H. Austin is converting the first floor of his livery barn into a skating rink.
1909, May 20 - H. H. Austin opened his skating rink
1909 - Jun 17 - H. H. Austin is starting a branch skating rink at Ora. The rink in Culver will run
three nights in the week and theone at Ora the other week nights.
1910, Nov 24 - Removed - The Listenberger-Bogardus pool room is being removed from Austins livery barn
to the store room opposite the hadrware store
H. H. Austin Livery - 1913
APRIL 10, 1913— H. H. Austin plans to tear down his livery barn and erect a two-story building 32x56,
finished on the outside with stucco. The first floor will be largely occupied by The Citizen, and the
second story will be fitted for flats.
1913 - May 30 H. H. Austin has the distinction of putting up the first three story building in Culver. The
third-story front will have two rooms which will be occupied by Mr. Austin and his wife. The second story
will contain three offices and a suite of six family rooms which Phil McLane has rented. Three-fourths of
the first floor will be taken by the Citizen plant. The east storeroom has not yet been rented
1914- Feb 19 - A large quantity of the material for the electric light line, including four tons of copper wire,
was put into the basement of the Austin building Tuesday.
|1914 - Plymouth Electric Light and Power Company - an ad of
19--- Northern Indiana Public Service Company
||Printing - 1914 |
During this era until a fire in 1969 the building was three stories - and served as a home for varied businesses.
||Printing - 1924-1947 Culver Citizen |
The printing presses were in the basement of the building.
of this era - an account is found in the Culver Ctizen of July 11, 1974:
Just to keep the record straight it might be added that Mr. Corwin omitted one home of The Citizen. It was in a two-story building that
gave way to Johnson's Service Station years after the paper moved to its present location.
Here The Citizen has expanded, taking over the entire first floor and basement after the Northern Indiana Public Service Company
moved to its present quarters. Modern machinery and equipment have been added from time to time until none of the machinery is left
that was in the shop 21 years ago. Modern automatic presses and machinery have been installed, giving The Citizen the best
equipped newspaper-commercial printing plant in any town its size in the entire state.
Modern cleaners (3rd floor-1946)
A) Reeds Taxi Service
A) Jack's Taxi - taxi
c1936- 1949 - Mar 9 - Jack's Taxi Jack Wagoner
1949, Mar - 1963 - Henry Hinckle
Apr. 1963 Tom K. Walker
B) Ideal Cleaners - Clyde Hickman was on Main St.
till 1953-1954 when moved to this location.
B) Ideal Cleaners - Oct. 1957-1962 - Frank Henderson
B) Hinkle's Ideal Cleaner - 1962-1967 Henry W. & Goldie
||Down stairs 1947-1969 and entire to building 1969 - present|