108 N. Main Street
1889 - Knights of Pythias established in Marmont.
1895 - 1921 - Knights of Pythias Building
Town board minutes:
July 1, 1895
Be it remembered that the town board of the town of Marmont, met in regular session, at T. B. Harris's office,
on the first day of Jul 1895.
Present, T. B. Harris, J.H. Castleman, E. W. Geiselman.
The minutes of the previous meeting were read and approved.
Be it further remembered that the following petition was read:
Marmont, Ind. July 1, 1895
To the honorable Town Board of Marmont} We the undersigned citizens Respectfully solicit your honorable
Body to grant uns the privilege of the use of (20) Twenty feet of the street along lot No. 28 on Main Street
for the purpose of placing building material for a period of not to exceed (90) days.
J. T. Cromey
A motion was then made which was also duly seconded, that the named above privilege be granted and
also granting the same privilege to the K.P's for the erection of their building. J. H. Cartleman and E. W.
Geiselman voting in the affirmative. The president T. B. Harris declared said motion carried...
Porter and Co., (grocery store) - Will Porter
1896 - May 22 - Porter & Co., will occupy the new K. of P. building about June 1st.
Read their announcement in another column.
1897 - April 2 - D. H. Smith & Co. are laying the stone foundation for a warehouse im
the rear of the K. of P. building, the dimensions of which will be 18x20. The building is
being erected by Porter & Co ... A telephone line is being erected from Culver Military
Academy to the depot, thence to Porter & Co.’s store. This will be of great
convenience to the academy as it will save many trips to the city.
1897 - April 9 - The telephone line connecting the academy with the depot and Porter
& Co.’s store is now in operation ...Porter & Co. have just completed, handsome
show window, which is entirely closed in with glass frame work. The interior will be
fitted up with brass fixtures which will be very beautiful when decorated with goods
1896 - Dec 4 - Knights of Pythias .
There is probably no order in the state of Indiana in a more flourishing condition than the above order of
this city. Last. fall the order finished a line two-storv brick structure with basement, the lower stories
being occupied by Porter & Co., general merchants. The upper story is finished, for the order, which
occupies one of the finest halls in the stare, and which is elaborately furnished with all the paraphernalia
necessary tor convenience and comfort.
The lodge numbers nearly 100 members, all of whom are men of integrity and progression, consequently
the order is constantly growing in membership.
1897 - dec 2 - The K . O . P . lodge, will celebrate its 8th anniversary at its hall
next Tuesday evening, Dec. 7th, in appropriate manner. Vocal and insttrumeutal
music will be one of the _ind features of the evening
||1896 - ? - Porter Porter and Sons; in this pictue on can see the wording on the building for this place of
Grocery - 1914
1921 february 23 - Speyer Brothers Genral Store established in 1879, is advertising a sale to close out its business.
Henry speyer, son of the founder has been associated with the store for almost 42 years.
1921 MARCH 30 After a long and busy career as a leading merchant in Culver, Henry Speyer retired from business March 24
when he traded his stock to James Burns of Fulton County for a good 80-acre farm near Leiters Ford.
1921 - August 31 - A deal was completed last week whereby the two-story Knights of Pythias Building on Main Street erected in
1895 became the property of W. S. Easterday.
Easterday Funeral Home
||The limestone crown of the building was removed and and was moved to the new K of P building; tho no mentioned of it has yet to be
& Furniture -
1893-1933, 1937 W. S. Easterday
1921 Oct 12 Undertaker Easterday is installed in his new place of business, the former Speyer store which has
been refitted for his special needs.
1927 - Mar 16 - MARCH 16 — Workmen have been busy building a 25-foot addition to the back of the Easterday Building, which
when completed will give W. S. Easterday some long needed space for his expanding mortuary business.
Easterday Funeral Home 1933-1946 W. S. Easterday
& W. R. Easterday
1934 - Mar 22 - W. S. Easterday has installed a sound-proof ceiling in his funeral home
1934 - May 16 - Start Remodeling Easterday Mortuary
Wek has started in the remodoeling of the Easterday Building on Main Street, one of the olderst business
structures in town.
It is planned to change the outside entrance to leady from the office, allowing the Easterday Undertaking
firm to use the second floor in coonection with their business.
The recepetion room on the main floor ois to be enlarged and a new front to replace the old brick exterior
The Ewing Barber Shop, which formerly occupied the front of t he second story, has moved to the
Goodman house opposite the post office
1934 - July 25 - The remodeling of the Easterday Building has been completed
and W. S. and W. R. Easterday are once more enjoying an orderly office
Easterday Funeral Home - 1946-1960 W. R. Easterday
Barber Shop Upstairs
1925 - May 26 - Jess L. Ewing has opened a barber shop in the upstairs room over the Easterday
Dr. Powers Office upstairs - 1950's ?
William R. Easterday Residence ? - 1962 - Upstairs Apartment
American Landrace Association Office - managers unknown
|| Easterday's & Gretters May 14 1958 - Citizen|
Easterday-Bonine Funeral Home 1 Sep 1960-1963 - W. R. Easterday & James D. Bonine
Easterday-Bonine Funeral Home 1963-1966 James D. Bonine
Bonine Funeral Home
- Bonine Residence - Upstairs Apartment
1966 James D. Bonine
In 1966 they moved to 104 E. Lakeshore
Jim rememebers the now non-existant door leading from the outside of the building to the basement mortuary, which
actually extends, under the side walk, west all the way to the edge of Main street. Inside the buisness, a large elevator
was used to lower caskets into the basement and back.
To the north on the funeral home facade was a glass enclosed notice board for posting funeral notices which was
done by Jim Bonine up into the mid 2000's.
2005, Nov - ? John A. & Lori Zehner Remodeled
COM SW COR LOT 29 OP TH N 25.66' E25' LEGAL DESC