106 & 108 S. Main
Saloon - George N. Gerard 1894-1897
||The location was pinpointed from a public Sale ad which stated four doors south of the post office on Main street'' and
using the 1906 Sanborn map gave us the location.|
Four doors south of the post office on Main street:
Public Sale. The undersigned will sell at publie sale, on Saturday, Jan. 16, 1897, the following described property:
One walnut bedroom set, bedsteads and bedding, one heating stove, one gasoline stove, canned fruits, cooking
utensils, carpets, and a general line of household furniture. Also a log cabin, built last summer, suitable for a barber
shop or any small business.
Terms:— All sums of Five-Dollars and under, Cash - over that amount a note on six months time with approved
security will be required. Interest from date of note will be charged if not paid when due. Sale will take place
four doors south of the post office on Main street, at 1 o’clock p.m. sharp. George N. Gerard, Prop. - - 8 Jan 1897
George Gerard has retired from the saloon business in this city, and we understand will depart for the
far west in the near future. He has been a resident of this place over three vears, and has been a good
citizen; and we hope wherever his lot may be cast he will meet with success. He aud lrs amiable wife
will leave host upon host of warm friends - 23 Jan 1897
Public Sale. The undersigned will sell at auction sale, on Saturday, January 30, 1897, the following articles: One
heating stove, oue marble-top washstand with mirror, tables, chairs, saloon and bar glassware, cookstove,
and other articles not enumerated. Owing to parties having bought goods at the auction on Jan. 16th
not being able to take them, Mrs. Gerard will also offer on the above date thy rest of her household goods
Remember the place, five doors south of the Post Olhce on Main street Sale at 2 o’clock. Terms cash.
Tm. Wolfe -
||1) Clothing |
1906 Sanborn map
Hessel's Building (Store) "The Surprise Store" ??
| Furniture, 1914 Sanborn Map
|| 'S' - 1924-1937 |
Hattie Wickizer's Dry Goods & Grocery
It is said she was known for her hat's and that the name 'Hattie' this appropriately fitted her.
1933 - Nov. 20 The Wickizer Variety Store has been remodeled on the interior with new steel shelves
and tables allowing an attractive arrangement of stock
1934 - Mar 22 - P. A. Wiickizer has added a grocery stock to his variety store.
1940 - May 1 - the old garage back of the Wickizer store was destroyed by a fire which also spread to
the adjacent Bogardas building Saturday afternoon with a loss of about $_00.
1943 - Jul 14 - Wickizer's Grocery and Market has installed a self-service system.
Wickizer's grocery and market has installed a self-service system. According to manager
Leo Butler, the store has been working toward the self-service system for some time and
has just completed the final arrangements.
1944 - Nov. 22 - Detriot Man Buys Wickizer's Grocery
Frank Douglas of Detroit, Mich., has purchased the Wickizer Grocery and Market,
of Mrs. Hattie Wickizer and the new owner tool possession Monday.
The business had been managed for some time by Leo Butler.
Mr. Douglas is a nephew of Mrs. WIckizer and has several friends here as he has
visited Culver on numerous occasions.
The family will live in the Gysin house in the south pat of town.
1947 - Oct 1 - Wickizer's Store, including all apartments and building, has been sold to Joe R. Goldsmith
and his son-in-law, Albert B. Peterson, both of Fort Wayne, who announce that the business has
been named the Culver Department Store
Culver Department Store - 1947-1949 - ? Joe Goldsmith & All Peterson
newly arranged self food store - ran a contest to change the name winner received $20.
106 (104) Main - Wickizer Building
Eileen's Dress Shop
1955 - March 9 - Eileen's Dress Shop, owned and operated by Mrs. Eileen Dawson, has opened for business in the
1958 - January 8 – Eileen’s Dress Shop goes out of business…
Davis' Barber Shop - ?- 1962 - Bill Davis
Moved here from the basement of the Amond building
Verl's Barber Shop - 1962-1968 - Verl Shaffe.
Moved to 180 N. Main St.
Stacy's Auto Parts - 1969, Feb.- 1970 ?
Culver Acquires Auto Parts Business
One of Culver's newest businesses will open Saturday morning at 106 S. Main St.
Stacy's Auto Parts, owned by Ernest Stacy of Bremen, will be opened six days a week from
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Mr. Stacy, who operates an auto parts store in Bremen decided that a business of this sort in
Culver has a good potential. With no other parts store available, he feels that the service
stations will find it more convenient than sending away for needed parts.
Available will be A P mufflers, Delco shock absorbers and batteries, Wagner brake shoes and
many other nationally known brands. Some tractor parts are also stocked.
Stacy has seven years background in this business and will operate the Culver store for the
first month. Mr. Ronald Huffman of Bremen - will manage the store after that period. -
THURSDAY, JANUARY 23, 1969 - citizen
Culver Auto Parts Store early 1960's Leonard Richards
Culver Auto Parts Store ?- 1977 Robert Healy
|106 S. Main - The Herb Center
The Herb Center on South Main Street, Culver, next to the Marathon Service Station is open while
repairs are still being made inside. You may visit the store from 1 to 5 p.m.
Tuesday through Staurday - Jun 7, 1979.
108 Main - Wickizer's Building
||The building during the 1960's, 1870's and into the 1980's until the Golden's took possession remained
virtually the same with little or no remodeling done.|
The Ideal Cleaners
1952 - Mar 19 - Clyde Hickman, Sr., is the proprietor of a new Culver business firm.
The Ideal Cleaners,
which opened for business Monday, is located at 108 S. Main St.
1957 - 198_
Culver News Agency
|| Building remodeled 1980's & the again in the mid 1990's |
106 S. Main
Craft & Antiques Shop - late 1980's - Donald R & Jewell k Golden
Olde Towne Restaurant expansion extra dining room area - late 1980's - Donald R & Jewell K Golden
Painter & Poet Gallery - 3 years - Esther & Ward Miller (est 1989) ??
They possibly had a shop here for a brief time before moving into a condo in the Pretty Lake
Golf course on the south side Also for a brief time in the early 200's they had a shope as
114 S. Main After this location the moved to
307 N. Main
Gail's c. 2002-2010 - Gail (Runhow) Riinega
She was at 312 12 E. Jefferson as 'Town & Country Baskets & General Store' which became the Bayside Condominiums
108 S Main
Olde Towne Restaurant - ? - 1985 - ? - Donald R & Jewell K Golden
Opening Jan. 2 at 6 a.m. is the Olde Town Restaurant at 108 S. Main St.
The restaurant is open seven days a week from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m - Dec 28, 1983
Olde Towne Restaurant - 1986-1990's - Allen & Toni Tettenborn
Apartments upstairs - the Tettenborn's renovated the upstairs apartments
into one large townhouse apartment.
||The Olde Towne Coffe Club 1997 Heritage Brick|
2000's Chinese Buffet 2000's
?-2013 - Vacant ?-2013
2013 - Culver Eductional Foundation has purchased the building and will be expanding their museum into it
from 102 S. Main.
|Aug 25 - 2017 - MJ's Sweet Tooh Candy Boutique - Mary Jane Kutch & Angie Broughton -
Open Tue-Sat 11 a.m-6 p.m. Grand Opening Sep 9. & ribbon cutting ceremony - Cheryl Rhodes, Larry Brockey -
Culver Chamber of Commerce, Mary Jane Kutch & Angie Strama, Co-owners; ELizabeth Thompson-Beaucham & Amy J
(Overmyer) Jessen - Culver Chamber of Commerce
OP LOT 32 N 39' SWLY 3' ESMT