111 South Main Street
1905 - Apr 6 - John Osborn is making preparations to build two business rooms south of Stahl’s grocery
1905 - Nov 30 The Central Union Telephone Company has leased a suit of rooms in the new- Osborn Block
for tifteen years. New booths, furniture, etc., will be bought and Culver will have one of, the bes
equipped telephone stations in this section. We understand that new rural lines will be built soon, and
on account of tho greatly increasing business, a new switchboard for two operators will be installed.
Culver Clothing House
1906, Feb-19__ - Mitchell & Stabenow
Mitchell & Stabenow Dry Goods 1910, 1914
- John Mitchell
& Otto Stabenow
|111 S. Main, 1919; 113 S. Main is only slightly visible; show the entrance to the upstairs
||Mitchell & Stabenow - John Mitchell & Otto Stabenow
Mens Clothing -1912 -1959|
1909 - Mar 11 - The Culver clothing and shoe firm of Mitchell & Stabenow are this week opening another store
at Goshen where they have secured a central location opposite the court house. Marion Jones has been engaged
as an assistant In the Culver store.
1909 Jul 15 - July 15, 1909 Mitchell & Stabenow will close their shoe store in Goshen and
John Mitchell will return to culver.
1909 - Dec 2 - Mitchell & Stabenow are putting clothes hangers in their store to take the place of tables
or the display of their stock of clothing.
1912— May 30 John Osborn has had water service introduced to the following stores: Slattery, Hollett,
Mitchell & Stabenow. and Hand.
19_9 February 18 - John Mitchell and Otto Stabenow yesterday observed the 43rd anniversary of the establishment
of their business, the Mitchell and Stabenow Clothing Store.
1942 - Jul 1 - Osborn Block Painted - The fronts of the stores in the Osborn Block
and the CUlver City store have been given coats of white paint, giving a greatly
improved appearance to the business section of town.
1954 - Adam's Men's and Boys' Wear Clothing 1959 - [someone has mentione 1954-7]
1954 - June 30 - - JUNE SO, 1954 — Otto Stabenow and his partner, John Mitchell, after doing business in the same location in
Culver's downtown section for almost a half century, have sold the Mitchel & Stabenow clothing store to Fred Adams, who will
chisten his new Main Street enterprise, "Adams, Men's and Boys' Wear."
It was sold to Fred Adams in 1954 by Mitchell and Stabenow; who would be the shortess propertior of it lasting
only 3 years before he sold it to Andy Vernum and to business partners. The building being owned by W. O.
Osborn, son of the builder and the set of buildings above in the brick work are label the 'Osborn Block'.
|Andy's Culver Clothiers
In the ensuing years Andy was encouraged to incorporate by his business partners and thus in corporated the name
'Andy's' into the business name; since over the years it had always been refered to just as 'Andy's' by the local
Andy eventually bought his partners out and actually even bought the building from W. O. Osborn who had been
convienced that the upstairs which had been used mainly as storage for many year would take considerable amount
of renovating to make it viably useable again.
Esther L. Essie McKinnis was a long time employee
Andy sold the southern part of the building which housed 'Cafe Max' to its owner Susie Mahler and he sold the north
half of the building and business to its present owner Pam Fisher in after seeking out buyers for over a year after
his wife beame terminally ill in 1994.
Fisher's & Co. - c 1995 - 2013- Pamela Fisher
W. L. Werner - watchmaker
||Upstairs - Telephone Exchange - 1924-1930-'s; you can barely see the signs in this the larger crop when you clik on the link shows
them; a larger version (here) of the block shows them clearer.|
Stoarage for Culver clotheries, Andy's & fishers
N21.5' S26.5' LOT 5 HOUGHTNS AMEND CO
OP LOT 5 S 5' COMMON STAIRCASE