110 S. Main Street aka 112 S. Main
Note: clicking some images may bring a larger to view.
The current address is 110 S. main; but in past years since it was a double store front - it bore the addres of
110 for the North Side and 112 for the south side; and the basement was also used as a business area. .
The basement was in use as a business enity also along with the upstairs being apparments
Also over the years the address numbers have varies as to add confusion as to the location.
pre 1896 - It has or had been thought of the location of
Nussbaum, Mayer & Co
By this they possibly moved to Plymouth and was the foreunner of Lauer Clothiing there
Notice. - All parties indebted to the late firm of Nussbaum & Myers, must call and settle at once, or
claims will be sued. L . M. Lauer, Plymouth, Ind. - Dec 1, 1899
1896, Nov. 20, 27 - Nussbaum, Mayer & Co, has store room for rent. Enquire of
Sigmond Mayer Plymouth, Ind.
1896 Dec 4 - R . W. Roberts , the hardware man, has moved his hardware from the Cromley
buildiug into the building formerly occupied by Nussbaum, Mayer & Co. This will give him first-class
quarters to transact business in
1896 - Dec 25 - Wm. Foss has moved his shoe repairing shop over the old store formerly occupied
by Nussbaum, Mayer & Co. Be sure and remember the place. - 25 Dec. 1896
He was formerly located in the basement of 107 S. Main Street -
Wm. Foss has opened a shoe repair shop in the “ 0 . K . ” barber shop in the basement of
the Osborn Block. He will also make boots and shoes if any one desires first class hand made
articles. It is not necessary for us to eulogise upon his capabilities for his his skill as a workman
is - well known. - 18 Sep 1896
Wm. Foss is now permanently located in the O. K. Barber Shop, Osborn Block, and is prepared,
in a skillful and workmanlike manner, to repair boots and shoes in the most approved style. Not only
will he satisfy you by guaranteeing his work, but he will do the same at prices to compare favorably
with the hard times. Do not be mistaken, if you desire to save hard cash, give him a call. He will also
make you a pair of shoes or boots that will outwear any store shoe or boots in the county - 2 Oct 1896
Wm. Foss, the experienced shoe man, who is located in the “ 0. K, ” barber shop,
is doing a rushing business. His work is alright, and the shoes made to order by
him will last as long as any hand made shoe in the market. Repairing neatly,
cheaply and satisfactorily done. Don't forget the location — ‘0.K.’ barber shop,
Osborn block. - Nov 1896
1896, Dec-1913, Sep - Wm. Foss & Son - Shoe Repair, Harness & Horse
1913 - sep 25 - D. H. Smith has purchased William Foss' harness shop and shoe repairing business.
|1897 - Mar 26 - 1897 Businesses In Poetry
BY OUR HOOZIER POET
In the old Nussbaum building, the one with the outside stair.
Up in the second story you’ll find a cobbler there;
If you shoes are leaky and want the fixed up “boss”
Don’t forget to take them to Mr. William Foss
1897 Apr. 9 - Today (Friday) Nathaniel Gandy will open and be ready for business. He his secured the barn near the
old Nussbaum & Mayer store, and has fitted the same up with a first class livery outfit. He invites vou
to call and see for yourselves - - When you need your shoes repaired don’t forget to call on Foss the shoemaker.
If vou are thinking of getting a pair of shoes made, you will do well by calling on him and leaving your measure. He is
sure to statisy you. You will find him upstairs in the old Nussbaum & Mayer building.
1897 - Jul 2 - By Philharmonic Club, at Nussbaum & Mayer Hall, Monday evening July 5th.
1898 - Apr. 29 - Mr. Samuel Medbourn is now the owner of the old Nussbaum & Mayer building. He will at once repair
the same and place it in first-class condition for rent.
||by the 1906 Sanborn map it was a General Store.|
1908 - Mar 19 - Fannie Hessel to H. Pecher s30 feet lot 32 Houghton's add, Culver.
Henry Pecher had a sale of a portion of his household effects last Saturday. As soon as his
building on Main Street is finished he and his wife will move into the four rear rooms -
Apr. 9, 1908
Pecher's Tin SHop
Removal - About May 15 I will remove to my new building where i Will kleep afull stock of all
kinds of metal work and will be prepared to attend promptly to all orders for town or
county jobs. - May 7 1908
Henry Pecher will heat his new building with a furnace - Sep 10, 1908
1908, Sep 24 - Will Remove Oct 1 After Oct 1 I will move to Pecher's new building, first door
north of the Culver Chas Hardware and will increase my stock. E. B. Sutherlin, Jeweler
Removal - I have this day removed to the new Pecher building where I have a larger and brighter
store and a new and larger stock. A cordial invitiation to the publice to call and see the stock.
Sutherlin, the Jeweler. - Oct 1, 1908
|1914 sanborn map labels it as Tin, Harness & Shoe Shop
1914 - Feb 16 - Henry Pecher has completed the second story apartments of his building
and the family moved in this week. They have six nice comfortable rooms.
1914 - Jul 30 - D. H. Smith, the harness maker and shoe repairer, has rented the south half of the
first floor int he Pecher building, and will probably move in this week. The will give him a fine
location and more room for his growing business.
Smith Shoe Repair & Harness Shop 1912-?-
David H. Smith
1912 - 22 sep - A early mason and Culvers 1st rural mail carrier retires to start a shoe and
harness repair shop; 1st days receipts were $5. he was joined later by cecil his son on
Aug. 1 1922 and the harness repair was abandoned in 1926 - by the passing of
1914 - Oct 15 - -D. H. Smith, the rural route carrier on 14 for many years, is really
building up a wonderful business in the line of harness manufacturing
and shoe repairing. H e has recently added to his shop equipment a
$400 electrical machine which does the work of four men in sewing on
soles. It is the academy work that makes this possible.
1915 May 5 - Henry Pecher had sold his tin ship to Otto Rick of Chicago.
1918 - Jul 25 - A Business Change - Henry Pecher has bought back the tinsmith shop
which he sold to to Otto rick three years ago
1919 - Sep 3 - Henry Pecher has sold his tin shop to E. Siepman of Chicago,
||1924 shows that it is divided into 2 store fronts and each are simply labeled as 'S'|
1926 - Jun 2 - John Milner Purchases
Emil Siepman Tin Shop
Strang Barber Shop Moved Across Street -
Sunday and Monday were busy day for Sam Strang and his co-workers when the barber shop
was moved from it location in the D. H. Smiith Building
(103 S Main) near Slattery and Shilling's
(107 S. Main ), directly across the street to
the Emil Siepman building (112 S. Main). The
change has been completed and shaves are to be obtained to the tine "Rap-a-tap-tap, and tick-a-tack-to"
of the Smith & Son Shoe Shop which retains the rear of the buiilind for the present.
The building from which the barbers moved is being given an overhauling and will be occupied by
D. H. Smith & Son. This move will be made in a bout two weeks. - 3 Sep 1924
1925 - Feb 4 - Siepman's Building Is Entirely Completed
Emil Siepman has recently made a fine addition to his business building on Marin Street, which
makes his shop of the very finest and an industry of which the communtiy can be proud. The
new room in the rear is fitted with all the latest devices for the modern tin and sheet metal shop.
It is made especially good for th workshop by large windows along the entire south side of the room.
The basement is used for a garage. Mr. Siepman's old workshop in the basement is now being
used for a store room.
1926 - Jun 2 - John Milner Purchases Emil Siepman Tin Shop
A business transaction has recently been completed whereby John M. Milner became the
owner of the Emil Seipman tin shop. He will continue to do business in the same location
and caters to former customers of Mr. Siepman. Mr. Milner is well and favorably known in
Culver. He has been with Mr. Siepman in the tin and sheet metal work for a number of
years and it is predicated that he will do a nice business in his new venture.
Of interest is found:
Old Pump Factory - speaking of old things in the line of buildings, there
was the pump factory that sat in front of what is now Milner's tin shop. Wooden pumps
were made there. Frorm about the location of the pump factory a canal used to lead to the lake...
1928 - Aug 1 - Emil Siepman opens Furniture Store
Emil SHiepman has opened another new business house for Culver, a furniture store, in the
basement of his present store on Main Street. He will handle new and second hand
furniture and will also have a repair department
1931 - Nov. 11 - Mikesell Trades Home for Siepman Business Building
A business transaction was completed last week whereby Raymond R. Mikesell traded
his home at the corner of Lake Shore Drive and State street for the Emil Siepman building
on Main Street. Mr. Mikesel and Mr. Siep,am expect to mover their househld goods this week,
but Mr. Mikesell has no plans for the one half of the building now used by Mr. Siepman. The
other hald is occupied by Miss Alice Daily's Beauty Shop.
1932 - Mar 16 - See CUlver Greenhouse display of Easter flowers in Mikesell Building 2nd door
north of hardware. Opens Monday morning
1932 , May 18 - R. R. Mikesell to Open Grocery Store Saturday - Raymond R. Mikesell announces
the opening of his grocery and meat marker in his building on Main Stree. He will be open
for busniness on Saturday
1932 - Sep 14 - Mikesell Sells Building to Miss Helen Wells
Miss Helen Well has purchased the Mikesell building on Main Street from Raymond Mikesell. Miss Wells
plans to move her beauty shop from the Hayes Block into the room now occupied by Miss Alice
Daily and will open a sandwich shop in the side where the Mikesell grocery is now located. The
Mikesell stock of groceries is to be sold out at once, although the terms of sale call for
possession by November 1. Miss Daily has made no plans for the future as yet.
||1937 - shows that it is divided into 2 store fronts and each are simply labeled as 'S'|
1947 - Jun 25 - Helen Wells and Frank C. Timmons to Frank E. and Emma Amond, south
27 feet lot 32, Houghton, also all interest in north 3 feet, south 30 feet, lot 32.
Amond Building 1947-197_ -
1947 - Nov. 17 - Richard Nitzache of Winamac assted by ELmer Galbraith will operate a barber
shop in the basement of the Amond Building.
1950 - Dr. R.C. Verhagen announces the opening of an office for the practice of optometry
November 2 in the Amond Building South Main Street, Culver Practice at present will be limited to
Thursday from 9 a. m. to 5 p. m. and Saturday from 6 p. m. to 9 p. m.
Phone Knox office for evening appointments-
Regretfully announces that Ins Optomctric Practice which recently started in Culver must
he discontinued until further notice due to a State ruling which prohibits practice of
Optometry in two counties Announcement will be made in this paper regarding the resumption of his practice.
- Nov. 20
||1980 - The Antiqiuarian - Mary Ann McClelland |
Mackey Building 1990s-?
Evenutally both sides housed the antique store with a door that had been cut into the dividing wall when
the 'Bear's End' was housed in the south portion; and later when the 'Bear's End' moved into 114 S. Main a
door way was also cut into the dividing wall's ; this door was again sealed to make a seperate building which houses
The Collectors - 1982-199_ - Ronalad Mackey
& Ruth Mackey
Originally started in the north store front - 110 S. Main and eventually expanded to the
south store front
Ruth was one of the original "Country Cousins" whose shop was across the street
The late 1990's tho the back was connected together a doorway midway in the front shop area was
cut out in order to enable customers to pass from one side of the shop to the other more
The Collectors Ronalad & Ruth Mackey / Donald Mackey - 199_-2000
The Collectors Donald Mackey / Ruth Mackey- 2000-201,Jun
2011 - jun 16 - Collectors antique store and the Bear End closes after after this summer.
Hoping to sell most of the inventory by end of Summer it has been marked down to 50% off;
Don plans to open duiring the Christmas season and summer months but is hoping to rent
out the two store fronts starting 2012 but untill rented out he will open during the summer
North 110 S. Main
||1924 shows that it is divided into 2 stor fronts and each are simplu labeled as 'S'|
||1937 - shows that it is divided into 2 stor fronts and each are simplu labeled as 'S'|
1930's - ? Sandwich Shop 1930's Thelma & Bob Hodges
This may be the wrong location - but taking a hunch and that there was not to many
eating establishments on Main Street back then -
Thelma Lilly (Hodges) Moorehead says her parents ran it for 2-3 years or a little
longer that they opeded it up after their marriage in 1930 . Bob ran the register,
Thelma done the cooking and dish washing. One day she had to run it for while in the
early morning by herself & when one of the men paid he said " Thank you madam, for
this good meal" - "madam" then was a woman who had a house of ill repute and Thelma
took offense - when Bob came in she told him of the incident and he done nothing
about as a res ult Thelma took off her apron put it on the counter and walked out. Bob
was not going to wash dishes and leave the his job behind the cash register - thus
ended the sandwich shop.
19__ The Grill
Al Graham, with The Maxinkuckee Inn for many years, has purchased The Grill from
Mrs. Frank Timmons.
The Grille 1945 - Goss's
1945 - nov. 21 - Mr. and Mrs. Charles Goss of South Bend purchased The Grill from Mrs. Lora Pfulgshaupt
The Grille 1947-? October Don Priest
1947 October 8 - Don Priest has purchased The Grill and has closed the place for a few days for
remodeling. Mr. Priest is experienced in the restaurant business, having successf ully operated
the restaurant at the Marshall County Community Sale, north of Plymouth, for sometime.
1947 - November 5 - Grill to open tomorrow after remodeling
1949 Aug . 3 A gas stove exploded at the Culver Grill early Sunday morning
The Grille ?- 1949 - ? Paul and Carolyn Yeagley
||The Grille ?- 1954 - Elbert Graham
1954 - August 8 - The Miller Grocery Store on South Obispo St., owned and operated for the past three
years by Donald Miller, has been sold to Elbert Graham. He recently sold The
Grill to Mrs. Mildred Ditmire and Mrs. Isabel Kerr.
1955 - Mar 9 - Mr. and Mrs. Bernard Dillard and Mrs. Laura Pflughaupt of Argos
have purchased The Grill from Al Graham.
The Grille 1954 - 195? - Mildred Ditmire and Isabel Kerr
1955 - Jul 6 - Mrs. Isobel Kerr has sold her half-interest in The Grill on
Main Street to Ellis Licht.
Jean (Ditmire) Triplet wrote "I remember the fire (Culver Hardware). Mom owned The Grille, probably
with your mother or Ellis Licht at the time and we lived in the apartment behind the restaurant. About
3 doors north of the hardware. I am guessing late 50's."
| The Grille 195? -1959 - Mildred Ditmire & Marcella White
1959 - Apr - 15 - Now employed at The Grill - Mrs. June Calhoun of Delong
Norma Friebe of Ora are now emploed at the Three, Culver's popular Main Street
restauteant. Both have been praised fo ther fine "service with a smile" by the "two
It has been recently stated that the "Grille" remained here until December 1959.
The ad states "across from the Culver Clothiers"
|By a sign in the window which is the north side indicates this was
used for office and the basement was for assembly, storage and repair
Culver School Sup. office, 1963 -
Frank Mclane is elsecred to fill the position of Superintendent of the new Culver school unit - 16 january 1963
Mrs. Nola Unruh is hired as secretary fro the new Culver Community school unit...Culver Community school Corporation will hav office at 110 South Main St in Culver 23 Jan 1963
I remember that Mrs. Margaret Jewel Weaver was the Secretary/receptionist during this period she later went on to be a certified teacher for the school corportation.
Sytsma Appliance Annex 196_-1980's main store acroos the street at
115 S . Main
When the Culver School coportation vactaed their section and moved to the ohio street
location (the Dr. Powers clinic building) Al Sysma took over occupancy and used it as
an annex for his appliances - TV's, refigrators, freezers, washers & dryers.
The Collectors Mackey's Antiques & Bears End Shop -
Ruth Mackey - June 1982 - 2011
They started business out in the this the north section until Mary's Shoppe was closed
time in the early 1990's for a brief time.
South - 112 Main
||1924 shows that it is divided into 2 store fronts and each are simply labeled as 'S'|
||1937 - shows that it is divided into 2 store fronts and each are simply labeled as 'S'|
|Note the Baber pole on the south side of the building - co uld there have been 2 barber
shops in the same building - references made was to it being in the basement of the building.
Helen Timmons & husband Frank Beauty Shop.
1958, March-19_ - Wallpaper shop - Helene Boots
1958 - March 19 – Mrs. Helene Boots opens paint and wallpaper store at 110 South
Village Beauty Shoppe
1963 - The Village Beaty shope Wishes to Announce Their new Location at 112 south Main Street in Culver beginning
Tuesday jan. 15 we offer complete beauty service Hours: 8 .A.M. to 3 P.M. - Mondays through Saturdays Evenings
by Appointment Martha l.owry, Operator Phyllis Zehner, Owner-Operator Your Beauty Number is VIking 2-3511
||Beauty Shoppe - Phyllis Zehner 1966 - |
This ad found in the Aptil 1966 Issue of the Culver citizen states "Introductin... Mis Betty Jenkins and Mrs.
Phyllis zehner Owner
1974 -Village Beauty Shoppe Shawnne Overmyer - Owner
questionable / empty
Mary's Shoppe Mary Tanguy - 15 April 1984-2000
A variety of unique gifts and needlework supplies. Mary attends gift shows in Dallas,
Chicago, and Washington D.C. The shop contains gifts for children; cards & stationary;
decorative accessories made in the United States and imported from Europe and the Orient.
As well as special handcrafted items by Indiana artists. "A World of Serendipity"
She closed down sometime between 1991-1993; and then came back and re-opened the shop for
a brief time at 114 S. Main before building
their own building at 101 S. Main.
The Collectors & Bear Shop Annex - Ron & Ruth Mackey ? - ?
Tho the back was connected together a doorway midway in the front shop area was cut out in order to
enable customers to pass from one side of the shop to the other more conviently
unknown which side -
1950, Oct.-? Chapter's Fur Service
1950 Oct 25 - Culver 's newst Busiiniss Chapter's Fur Service opend for business last week
in the Amond Building on South Main Street
Ewing's Barber Shop - 1940's - basement Ted Ewing
1947 December 17 - Richard Nitzchke to operate barber shop in the Amond building.
Davis' Barber Shop - ? - 1961 - basement Bill Davis
Moved to the north into the north portion of the wickizer building.
Gold Coast Industries, 1961 Jun-19_-
Assembly and Storage rooms
Mackey's Workshop in basement accessed from Alley
2-3 apartments in the early years.
3 Apartments uptairs remodeled 2002-2003
||Has sat empty since clsoing of the Collectors - - Donald D Mackey |
2014 - renovation work had been in progress during the fall for redesigned as a working studio
|2014 - Nov - IT’S YOU! - Jan Peyser, owner and silversmith jeweler,
Jan Peyser Jewelry, LLC; building owner Donald D Mackey
Gallery & Studio - separated from the gallery by long drapes, grand opening event Nov. 7, 8, and 9.
Peyser has been an artist since childhood, though her path was diverted along the way to raise her
children and teach high school English and drama in southern Indiana for twelve years before moving
to Culver, where she taught English and coached public speaking for nine years.
Then, during the summer after her fifteenth year of teaching, she took a course in silversmithing at
the Mendocino Art Center in California.
Peyser immediately recognized it was time to pursue her dream, and, six years later, she left teaching
and went on the road to participate in nationwide art shows for two years. During those years on the
road, customers were enchanted by the distinctive designs and purchased her jewelry, calling it
“captivating,” and “inspired.”
Exhilarated and exhausted, Peyser folded up her tent for the last time and spent one year thinking
about and discussing ideas with her husband, author Ray Gleason.
Eventually, Peyser ventured into the world of retail with two shops on the Lake Michigan shoreline.
There she gained valuable experience managing a shop, working with customers, carefully choosing
and carrying other artists’ collections, and learning she absolutely loved having a shop focused on
exquisite works of art.
|Peyser - author of "The Opera Cat" - An Urban Fairy Tale for Adults and Children
Owner, Designer, Artist of Jan Peyser Jewelry, LLC (Silversmith Jeweler) Company Jun 2002 – Duration15 yrs
10 mos - Location Plymouth, Indiana
Instructor of English & Assistant Speech Coach Aug 1999 – Jun 2008 8 yrs 11 mos Culver Academies
Education Indiana University Bloomington M.S., B.A. - yEnglish and Amercian Literature & Theatre Arts;
Half Hollow Hills H.S., Dix Hills, New York
|2017 - Feb 26 - Sallie's by the Shore We are very excited to officially announce that S
allie's by the Shore will be serving up your favorite scoop at Lake Maxinkuckee in Culver,
Ind.!!! ???? We are adding a new location with a store front in the Culver downtown across
from the ever popular Cafe Max, and next to the adorable clothing shop, Civvies!|
We are excited to meet new faces and are working towards a May Opening Day! The shop will be
so fun and so Sallie's! This is also where we will be making our handcrafted ice cream, right
on site! Stay tuned for more new and exciting updates with Sallie's by the Shore!
OP LOT 32 S27 & N3 OF S 30 / S27' OF LOT 32 HOUGHTONS CIRR & AMENDED PLOT KNOW AS OP
? Frank Amond
? - Mar 2002 - Ronald R. & E. Ruth Mackey
Mar 2002 - ? Donald D. Mackey, listed as 110 S. Main.