115 South Main Street
||Culver City Herald - ?-1896=? George Nearpass
On the 13th of July, 1894, appeared the first issue, Vol. I, No. 1, of the "Marmont Herald," George Nearpass, editor and publisher.
Culver 's newspaper was begun in restricted space, in a small one-story frame building, located on the west side of Main Street
between Jefferson and Madison streets. The property is now owned by Harvey Warner, who has another building on the site.
The building used by Nearpass was an old photograph gallery, which at one time stood somewhere nearly west of the present "6G"
gas station on Lake Shore Drive. The building was moved by John Osborn, the banker who financed Nearpass, to the location south of the
present Mitchell & Stabenow store. The Nearpass newspaper building stood long side, or "broadside," to the street, because it had been
built to accommodate the photograph gallery. Later, after the newspaper had used it, the building was moved again, to a location back
of the present tin shop (117 S. Main ).
The statement Later, after the newspaper had used it, the building was moved again, to a location back of the present tin shop
in comparing the Sanborn maps it seems likely that the building was pushed direcly to the back of the lot
watch and repair shop - 1897
John Campbell has moved his watch and repair shop into the building formerly occupied by the Herald
office, first door south of VanSchoiack’s store. 29 Jan 1897
| Harness Shop - ice H.O. 1906 sitting on very back of lot on alley|
Some time between 1906 and 1914 there was either an addition added onto the building or a seperate very small building erected as
|| Vacant - Off. 1914 - Auto 1914|
|Between 1914 and 1924 as evidence by the Sanborn maps the building used by Nearpass as a
newspaper office at what is now - was moved again, to a location back of the present tin shop. and the
concrete block building was erected. The 1924 & 1937 maps ar emarked with 'S' and (C.B.)
Waite's Plumbing Shop - Cifford Waite
1938 - March 28, Clifford C. Waite has opened his own plumbing shop in the rear of the
Schweidler Cafe building across
the street from the Lake Shore Garage
||? 1932 - A. M. Roberts Plumbing Shop |
1932 - July 13 – Sieppman Buys Roberts Plumbing Shop Business
Emil Stipeman has purchased
the A. M. Roberts Plumbing Shop and is now operating it under his own name.
Mr SIepman is a trained plumber and general mechanic of many years practical
1927 - Apr 27 - Siepman's Recreation Hall South Main Street -
1933 - Mar 22 - Emil Siepman is enlarging the garage at the rear of his home to accomodate his plumbing
shop and two cars. Henry Listenberger will operate the present Siepman Shop as a restaurant
? 1934 - Charles White
1934 - Jan 31 - Bert Alumbaugh has purchased the Charles White Recreation Hall and has resigned his
position as manager of the Linco Service Station
1934 - dec. 5 - A. B. Long has purchased the recreation room operated by Bert
Alumbaugh and will open the Culver City Tavern tomorrow.
1935 Jan 23 - Culver City Tavern, Nick Long [Arthur B Long], Main Streert
1937 - Nov. 17 - Long Tavern Moves - Culver City Tavern operated by A. B.
Long, has moverd from it former uarters to the Warner building across the
street. As soon as all installations have been completed Mr. Long plans to serve
regular meals featuring home cooking.
1940 - Tavern is closed The Culver City Tavern operated by Nick Long, closed last week
when his state license was not renewed
|| 1952 November 19 – The license of the Culver City Tavern is suspended
temporarily because of the state Alcoholic Beverages Act because of sales to minors
and other illegal acts. The tavern has changed hands a few times in recent
1954 - Jun 16 - Carl L Calhoun Ins New Manager of the Culver City Tavern -
Carl L Calhous, recently of Delong, is now resident manafer of the Culver City
Tavern, taking over the duties of Bob and Velma McKee.
1957 - May 15 - Knox Men Raise $155.20 Rumpus In Local Tavern
Earl Scott, son of Joe Scott who operates the Culver City Tavern, 115 S Main St.
and Eugene Miller, also of the Starke county Seat, raised such a rupus at the
Corner Tavern next door...
1958 - Nov. 1958 - Suspended License of Parker's Local Tavern
The Culver City Tavern , located between Dean Ran's Corner Tavern and Kline's
Appliance Store on the west side of SOuth Main Street, is closed temporarily
because of violations of the State Alcoholic Beverage Act.
Bert Parker, formerly of Logansport, is the owner and operator of the
establishment which has changed hands quite a few times in recent years.
It is alleged that the Indiana Alcoholic Beverage Connission, is supsending
PArker's two-way beer and wine license for a monoth, did so because of sales
to minors and other infractions of the law.
1959 - Sep 2 - Tavern Now Owned and Operated By Corportation
El Ray, Inc. now holds the two-way beer and wine license of the Culver City Tavern,
115 S. Main St., formerly held by Bert M. Parker Jr.
Al's Radio & TV (Al Systma) 1965 - ?
The Al Sytsmas Open Radio, TV, Appliance Store
A new business establishment to our Culver community is Al's Radio and TV store located at 115
South Main Street, operated by Mr. and Mrs. Albert J . Sytsma. The newly-decorated shop offers
Emerson radios, televisions, tape recorders, record players, hi-fi sets, and Easy washers and dryers
for sale. Appliance servicing and repair is also available.
Mr. Sytsma is a graduate of the DeVry Technical Institute of Chicago and has had four years experience
in the line of servicing and repairing.
The Sytsmas, both Culver High School graduates, have three sons, Richard, age 10, and twin
sons, Donald and Ronald, age 7, and are members of Culver 's Grace United Church of Christ.
Al's Radio and TV will hold a Grand opening at the South Main Street address on Saturday, April
4, at which time a radio will be given for a door prize. Cake and coffee will be served at the grand
opening. The telephone number of his new Culver business firm is Viking 2-2982. THURSDAY, APRIL 22, 1965
Al's TV & Appliance (Al Systma) ? - 1999
||Cafe Max expananded to in 2000's - JD-ONE JD-TWO INC 1999 - 2010
remodeled in 2000 and completed in March of 2001