1206 East Shore Drive
||Section 22 - ? acres
||Section 22 |
Section 22 Lot 1 - 37.70A; 40
Section: 22 Lot 2 - 45.45A
Section 22 Lot 3 - 32.00A
Section 22 Lot 4 - 35.70A
||1872 Plat Map Section 22
Lot 1 - 37.32 - G. Peeples|
Lot 2 - 45.45A S & J. W Rector
Lot 3 32A - S. Rctor
S & J W Rector - 40A
A Smith - 80A
3.90A - A W B
.97? - D J
159A - J. C. Miles a part in Sec. 23-
A Bartholomew 35.70A
|1876 Plat Map Section 22
||1880 Plat Map Section 22
Platted cottage lots|
G. Peeples 35.5A
Rector & Thomas 85A & 32A
H. B. Scott 34.50A
INDIANA SPECIAL EDITION FOR MARSHALL COUNTY. MADISON, WIS.: BRANT, FULLER & CO. 1890.
Maxinkuckee By W. H. Thompson and S. E. Lee, assistant geologists....
Mr. Vajen dug a well several years ago, which, on reaching a depth of eight feet, began to flow a milk-white
water of about the consistency of cream, and which deposited a silicious, limelike marl, and whitened the
water of the lake for a distance of thirty feet from the water's edge.
In the back part of Mr. Vajen's lot was a low, wet spot, which began to sink when the well began to flow,
and continued to sink until the white flow changed to clear, pure water.
Mr. Vajen has utilized the pressure of water from his well, the stream running a ram which supplies his premises
with water, and also furnishes the power which revolves the beautiful colored light at the landing pier before his
High upon the hill beside the Plymouth road, about 100 yards from the lake, and fully thirty feet above it, gushes
out the ' Original Spring, as it is known, which pointed the index finger toward the first flowing well. This spring
pours - out a four-inch stream, and the boring of wells has never diminished the flow
| Tho the Vagen cottage is depicted on this map as being on the l
front by a 1911 accounting in the citizen states it was "across the road"
||1898 - J. & A. Vajen owned a lakefront lot
[John Henry Vagen]
and also as J. H. and A. Valin owned 5.73A across the road |
The original cottage sat over across the road until 1906
A cottage reported to be built after 5 April 1906 by J. O. Frerrier are:
Vagen cottage at a cost of $2500-3000...
J. H. Vajen has opened his new cottage, FairView for the summer -
June 27, 1907 Culver Citizen
This description is found of Fariview in the 20 Jul 1911 Citizen as: Fairview
is one of the few cottages located back from the lake. It is situated on a hill
ACROSS the road and north of the Rector hotel and in a 5.70- acre tract.
In the 1960 phone directory is found - 1207
East Shore Dr. - Sid Cressy [Sidney Alexander Cressy] - - until
demolished sometime in the 1960's
This discription of the new cottage was found in the 21 jun. 1906 Citizen This makes
it sounds as if the main cottage still could of been "across the road"
Fine Lake Cottage
Contractor M. R. Cline of Maxinkucee has completed a $3,000 cottage on the eat sie for J. H.
Vajen, a wealthy retired manufacturer who is now traveling in Europe.
The main part of the cottage is 21by42 with a projection 12 by 17 fet.
The form of the house is in three gables.
There are 12 rooms, all finished , even to the ceilings, in oiled southern pine.
There is a veranda 10 feet wide around three sides of the house
In additon to the house Mr. Cline has built a boat house 14 by 16 feet with a basement
for the boats , a kitchen and bedroom on the first floor and two bedrooms above.
This area need more work as the Bliss and Dill cottage lots disaapeared and was
aqcquired by others
||1908 - H. Bliss
- owned 3 lots. The Lot Numbers in red are tody's (2015) working from both
directions the Brawnell and Marmon cottage the area in between has been
decipherd somewhat. The lot sizes and shape have changed some
50 - 1900 - J. B. Dill / H. R. Bliss
1900 - H. R. Bliss, of Indianapolis, has purchased
the cottage formerly owned by J. B. Dill and has taken possession. - June 1 , 1900
1904 - Sep. 1912 Alfred M. Ogle
1906 - May 3 - Fred Thompson has the contract for...an addition to
H. R. Bliss; cottage
1908 - H. Bliss [Henry R. Bliss]
Some time after 1908 they acquired the H. Bliss lot to the South (one of the three that bore "H Bliss")
From the 1886 15th Annual Report to the Governor MAXINKUCKEE W. H. Thompson & S. E. Lee
South of Mormon's place J. B. Dill has a good flow, reached at a depth of twenty feet.
1913 - sep 12 - Mrs. D. W. Marmon has purchased the north half of the
Ogle grounds, and C. C. Perry the cottage and the south half. We understand
that Perry Will erect a modern cottage on his purchase in the spring.
Marmon cottage Lots 3 & 4 on the Lakefront
1922-56 -- Henry W. Bliss
||Chas. C. &
C. A. Perry on the lakefront and John H. Vagin still owned
the 5.73A across the road.|
1952 - W. C. Griffith (East Shore Rd.; PH:78-R1); W. C. Griffth Garage Apt. (East Shore Rd.; PH:119-R2) ???
1953-61 William C. Griffith
C. Perry Griffith Sr., the president of the Maryland Street Garage Corporation,
C. Perry Griffith Jr. is chairman of Denison Inc. and the advisor of the William C. Griffith Foundation, his
grandfather's namesake.He received his undergraduate degree and his master's degree in business administration
from Indiana University - Kelley School of Business. Griffith also serves as chairman of Goodwill Industries
Central Indiana and is on the boards of Indianapolis Downtown Inc. and the Indiana Chamber of Commerce. Griffith
has served on the Riley Children's Foundation board of governors since February 1993 and is currently the
chairman of the board. He resides in Indianapolis with his wife, Michelle. They have one son and two
daughters. Griffith enjoys snow skiing, reading and scuba diving.
C. Perry Griffith III Indiana University - Kelley School of Business University of Colorado at Bo ulder -
Leeds School of Business
1995, Jan-2004, dec William C. Jr. &
Griffith, Personal Residence Trust
William Chenoweth Griffith, Jr. m. Carolyn Ann "Cecy" Crom
William Chenoweth Griffith, III (Gerry)
Ruthelen Crom Griffith m. Andrew T. Burns
Andrew Griffith Burns
John Christopher Burns
Grace Elizabeth Burns.
||Dec 2004 - 2015 - Holly Hill Investors LLC |
| All of Holly Hill Investors LLC properties today which were the old Vajen/Fairview
properties - the blue of course is the lakefront lot bearing the address of 1206 E Shore Drive and
the yellow is the orginal cottage site of 5.73A or
5.70A which is down to 5.64A; and both are listed under the Hollyhill Investors LLC; the North south
portion of 3 parcels were acquired after the Vajen era by whom ever and are now also a part of the
Hollyhill Investors LLC land holdings.
5.644 AUDITOR DESC: S 5.73A N 18A LOT 2 E COUNTY RD Lot on East side of road -
724.97' S36D E NW COR LOT 2 SELY
COM 724.97 SE OF NW COR L2 TH SELY 230 M/L TO CEN LN OF A 40 STRIP OF LAND LAID OUT TH N60E
300 TO W LN RD TH NWLY 230 M/L TH S60W 300 TO POB & COM 704.97 SELY FROM NW COR L2 TH SELY 20 TH N