Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

Cleveland Family  



Charles Stacey Cleveland 1852-1923) was born at MecKean Pennsylvania. He was a seventh generation descendant of Moses Cleveland, the founder of Cleveland, Ohio, and the common ancestor of all Cleveland's, who came to Woburn, Massachusetts from Ipswich, County, Suffolk, England about 1635, five years after the Pilgrims. Born about 1624, he married Ann Winn in 1648, who was born in either Wales or England.

In 1873 C. S. Cleveland married Mary A. Lamson, 1855-1935.

One June 22, 1875 Arnott M. Cleveland, their only child was born at McKean.


They lived for some years at Edgerton, Ohio coming to Plymouth in 1891. That same year C. S. Cleveland founded Edgerton Manufacturing Company, which became the largest manufacturer of basket and fruit packaging in the country. In 1910, he served as mayor of Plymouth. In 1910 he also turned control of what was then Plymouth's largest industry over to his son, Arnott M. Cleveland.

In 1895 A. ("Arnie") M. Cleveland married Laura Groshans (1876-1968). Born were three children: Arthur M. 1896-1953; Chester W. 1898-1961; and Mary Jane, 1900-1971.

Under A. M. Cleveland's direction the Edgerton Manufacturing Company entered an era of great progress and growth. Upon his death in 1925, his son Arthur N, Cleveland, assumed direction of the company until its closing in 1937.

For many years A. M. Cleveland was a active figure in the civic and business life of Plymouth, and in 1922 was a founder and first president of the Plymouth Country Club. A Mason, Presbyterian, and Republican, he was elected and served as state senator for Marshall and St. Joseph Counties, 1920-1924. The family resided at 223 North Plum Street and for many years have maintained a summer cottage at Pretty Lake.

In 1923 Arthur M. Cleveland married Josephine Ramage (1898). They had two children: Charles A. in 1924 of Syracuse, New York and Sara Jane in 1930, of Padding, Ohio.

On September 26, 1926 Mary Jane Cleveland married Philip R. Melangton, 1897-1950, of Chicago, Illinois. Three sons were born: Philip R. Jr., 1927 of Indianapolis; John C., 1930, of Battle Creek, Michigan; and Charles A., 1933 of Indianapolis.

On October 6, 1923 Chester W. Cleveland married Ruth Iona Glass. Ruth Glass was born in Plymouth on November 21, 1900 to Charles Elmer Glass, 1879-1959, and Alma Lawrence, 1880-1968.

Ruth and Chet Cleveland resided in Chicago for many years where he was a magazine editor. Sons: John A., 1927 and David B. in 1933 were born there.

In 1953 Chester W. Cleveland returned to Marshall county settling on Lake Maxinkuckee, Culver . He purchased the Culver Citizen Press, a commercial printing firm and publisher of the weekly newspaper, The Culver Citizen. The firms names was soon changed to the Culver Press, incorporated, to better reflect its dependence on commercial printing. In 1957 Chester Cleveland founded Indiana Business Magazine. Through the years he was an active member of the Indiana Society of Chicago and the Sigma Chi Fraternity. He was a republican and a Episcopalian.

In 1955, John A. Cleveland moved to Culver to assist his father with the operation of the Culver Press. After Chester Cleveland's death in 1961, John Cleveland became president of the Culver Press and publisher of Indiana Business Magazine. In 1968 the weekly Culver Citizen was sold and the Culver Press relocated in the new Plymouth Industrial Park, under a new Name, the Indiana Press, Incorporated, a commercial printing firm specializing in offset lithography.

Since its founding in 1968, The Indiana Press has enjoyed a steady growth in the commercial printing field. John A. Cleveland first served the firm as president, becoming chairman in 1977, and chairman emeritus in 1985.

On June 19, 1954 John A. Cleveland married Patricia Ann Devine of Madison, Wisconsin. A son, Peter D. was born in 1955, followed by daughters, Leslie Ann, 1957 and Susanne C., 1959. Each of the children graduated from the Culver Academies.

David B. Cleveland, a banker, married Patricia C. Wilson of New Castle, Pennsylvania in 1964. He resides in Indianapolis and spends his summers at Lake Maxinkuckee. They have three children: Christopher W., born 1966; Loyal B., born 1970; and Carroll, born in 1967.

AS of this writing, Ruth G. Cleveland is the matriarch of the family. At 85, she is an active Episcopalian and serves on the Marshall County Welfare Board. - John Cleveland.

History of Marshall County Indiana Sesquicentenial 1836 - 1986 (Taylor Publishing Co., 1986, Publication # 357 of 1422) Marshall County Historical Society pg. 124






Today is