Lake Maxinkuckee Its Intrigue History & Genealogy Culver, Marshall, Indiana

John Carey "Jack' Appel  



John Carey 'Jack' Appel born 15 Dec, 1915 died 15 Jul 1999 Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana buried 21 Jul 1999 Crown Hill Cemetery Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana son of frederick L. 'Fred' Appel and Mary Junior Carey he enlisted on 23 Mar 1942 at Fort Benjamin Harrison he was listed as Education: 4 years of college Civil Occupation: Salesmen, insurance Marital Status: Married Height: 70 Weight: 158
he married 1st [-?-] they had:

    John S. Appel
    Fred S. Appel
    Stephen C. Appel
he married 1983 Jane Adams Lathrop Thomspon



Services for John Carey "Jack" Appel, 83, businessman and community leader, will be at 11 a.m. July 21 in Community Mausoleum, Peace Chapel at Crown Hill Cemetery. Calling will be from 4 to 7 p.m. July 20 in Crown Hill Funeral Home.

He died July 15.

In 1939, Appel became an insurance agent for Gregory & Appel Insurance, a firm purchased by his grandfather in 1918. He served as president from 1948 to 1985 and as chairman for seven years, retiring in 1992.

He had been on the boards of directors of Indiana National Bank and Railroadmen's Federal Savings & Loan. He also served on the Crown Hill Board of Corporators and on the board of Happy Hollow Camp.

Mr. Appel had been board chairman of the Indianapolis PAL Clubs and served on the national board of directors of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America. He was a past president of the Indiana Golden Gloves Association.

He was a member of the Indianapolis Athletic Club, University Club, Dramatic Club and Maxinkuckee Country Club.

Mr. Appel was a graduate of Shortridge High School and Princeton University, where he was a member of Tiger Inn Club and captain of the basketball team.

He was an Army Air Forces veteran of World War II.

Mr. Appel was a member of The Church Within.

He had been named a Sagamore of the Wabash and received the 1976 Hinkle-H ulman Award from the Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce.

Memorial contributions may be made to Noble of Indiana or to the Orchard School.

Survivors: wife Jane Adams Appel; sons: John S., Fred S., Stephen C. Appel; stepchildren: Steve Lathrop, John, Jim Thompson, Rae Wilson, Sally Stephens, Julie Moses, Jane Stephens, Jean Corey, J ulie Steck; sister: Eleanor Golden-Hitz; 35 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren.

Indianapolis Star, The (IN)
Date: July 18, 1999
Edition: CITY FINAL
Page: B06






John 'Jack' Appel
7/15/1999
Funeral services were held yesterday for Indianapolis, Ind., resident John Carey "Jack" Appel, who died July 15. He was 83.

Mr. Appel retired in 1992 as chairman and president of Gregory & Appel Ins. after 50 years. He was a graduate of Princeton University, where he was captain of the basketball team, and a captain in the Army Air Force in Okinawa during World War II. He held several offices within services organizations in Indiana. He was also a summer resident of Leelanau County.

Surviving are his wife, Jane (Adams) Appel; sons John S., Fred S. and Stephen C.; stepsons Steve Lanthrop, John and Jim Thompson; stepdaughters Rae Wilson, Sally Stephens, J ulie Moses, Jane Stephens, Jean Corey and J ulie Steck; a sister, Eleanor Golden-Hitz; 35 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Memorials may be made to Noble of Indiana or The Orchard School. Burial was in Crown Hill Cemetery.
Leelanau Enterprise






When Jack died last July 15, his family held what his son Steve called "A celebration of a long and happy life lived to the f ullest."

Jack came to Princeton from Exeter. At Princeton, he was an English major as well as capt. of the basketball team and a member of Tiger Inn. During WWII, he was in the Army air force, thereafter returning home to serve for the next 50 years as pres. and chairman of Gregory & Appel, Inc.

He was deeply committed to Indianapolis and served on several charitable boards as well as on the boards of the Orchard School, Crown Hill Cemetery, and Indiana Natl. Bank. Gov. Robert Orr presented Jack with the prestigious Sagamore of the Wabash Award on his 70th birthday.

He spent his retirement years in Hawaii with his wife, Jane, who survives him. They combine his three sons and her five children and five stepchildren to share 35 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

He was a proud Tiger, and the class joins Jack's family in celebrating the many happy memories he left with us all.

The Class of 1938
Princeton ALumni Weekly - February 9th, 2000






Gregory & Appel Insurance
Throughout its 118 years of operation, Gregory & Appel Insurance has dedicated itself to excellence. It’s a tradition of quality that began in 1884 when Fred A. Gregory, an insurance representative, and John J. Appel created an insurance partnership.

John J. Appel, born in Cumberland, Maryland, came to Indianapolis in 1878 at the age of nineteen. First employed sweeping floors at a real estate firm located in the Board of Trade Building, Appel eventually went to work for Cleveland & Company, an insurance brokerage.

On 28 May 1884 Appel and Fred A. Gregory, both former employees of Barnard and Sayles Insurance and Real Estate, formed an insurance and real estate agency. They also acted as rental and loan agents. The two men began at a desk in the office of another insurance man, E. S. Folsom, on the corner of Market and Pennsylvania Streets;

Gregory dealt with insurance at one end and Appel real estate at the other. The firm of Gregory & Appel grew steadily, moving quickly to its own office in the Phoenix Building at 137 East Market Street. (By 1905 E. S. Folsom was renting a desk in Gregory & Appel’s office.) The company represented such insurers as New York Underwriters’ Agency, Westchester of New York, Rochester German of New York, Citizens of St. Louis, Northwestern National of Milwaukee, Spring Garden of Philadelphia, and German Fire Insurance Company of Indianapolis.

The two partners conducted business at opposite ends of an old wooden table purchased for $7. Indianapolis was a much smaller city then, with most of its pop ulation and business concentrated in the central section known as the Mile Square. As Indianapolis grew throughout the 20th century, Gregory & Appel continued catering to the many insurance-related needs of the city.

They moved some time to 121 East Market Street.

In 1909 Fred Gregory and John Appel incorporated the firm with an initial capitalization of $100,000.

In 1914 it moved to the fifth floor of the Fletcher Savings and Trust Company Building at 108 North Pennsylvania Street . John Appel and his son Fred G. Appel purchased Gregory’s interest in the firm in 1916, although they did not change the company name.

In 1918, John Appel and his son, Fred, purchased Fred Gregory's interest in the growing company. The Appels decided to keep the name Gregory & Appel Inc. The business has stayed in the Appel family ever since.

John Appel was genial and well-liked, active in city affairs and on the boards of local banks, and trusted in his knowledge of real estate values. Fred led the company into auto loan financing in 1918; by the early 1920s, Gregory & Appel had $1 million in outstanding auto loans. Fred succeeded his father as president of the firm upon John Appel’s death in 1928.

Gregory & Appel became active real estate developers in the 1930s, building over 250 homes in such developments as Kessler Estates, Rolling Ridge, and Cedar Knolls. Gregory & Appel periodically moved its offices as well, although never straying far from Market Street. In 1929 the agency moved to the Pennway Building at 247 North Pennsylvania Street and in 1938 to the Architects and Builders Building, at 335–337 North Pennsylvania Street. In 1947 Fred Appel became chairman of the board, and his son John C. Appel assumed the presidency.

The firm completed its own building at 120 East Vermont Street in 1949. Gregory & Appel gradually eliminated its real estate division to focus exclusively on insurance. In 1987 it moved its offices to 333 North Pennsylvania Street and by the 1990s employed a staff of fifty.

In 1996, Gregory & Appel moved to its present location at the corner of Indiana Avenue and West Street, in a partic ularly historic area of the city’s downtown.

Dan Appel started at Gregory & Appel in 1978, his uncle, John C. "Jack" Appel, and his father were the two principals of the firm. Alan Appel died in December 1983.






Today is